Tendering with a TravelScoot

GWShark

Someone had asked about room to carry a suitcase on their lap while on a scooter, for most scooters I would say this was not easy to do because it would make it hard to steer. I have found that the spinner type suitcases work wonderfully with my scooter (pride go-go). I drive with my right hand grab the case with my left, right beside the seat and away we go. This does not work with the cases that have to be tilted onto two wheels to roll.

• 3 weeks later...

I am about ready to order a Travelscoot after a very nice lady, Helen, let me do a test drive on my last cruise. I see that the width is 23 1/2" and am concerned, will this fit through a cabin door on a Princess or Carnival ship that is not Handicap? I thought I heard the doors were 22". Thanks for this thread.

No, it doesn't fit through a standard door. I get off and hubby lifts up and turns the scooter slightly and then it goes in. Poor storage for it in a standard cabin. I have step problems and have to use an accessible cabin now. Plenty of room to drive into an accessible cabin and room to store the scooter while you sleep or change.

As indicated above, it won't fit through a standard cabin door fully assempled without a lot of manuvering. I take the seat off, turn the scooter slightly sideways and leave it under the desk for charging (after moving the stool and wastebasket).

Like Kat, on non-handicapped rooms we've had no problem tipping it slightly and getting it through the cabin door without dismantling. On RCI's Enchantment of the Seas we had a standard inside cabin and I was surprised that I was able to drive it through the door way!

I love my travel scoot. I have the junior version and can drive it right through the cabin doors on Holland America. I also had the seat reenforced with extra padding.WHen we fly, I drive it right up to the cabin door. They take it fully assembled and when we land, I have to wait a bit till they bring it up to the cabin door.

I "test drove" one on my last cruise and my friend checked it out without driving it. We just ordered one for each of us yesterday and will be delivered Thursday it looks like. Thanks to all of you for such great info to help me decide. I keep thinking of all the things I will be able to do that I haven't done in years because of the limitations of walking because of my back. I can't wait to get on my Travelscoot! Will have to think of a name!

This is my travel scoot after fixing the cushion and back.

2094324340103118723S500x500Q85.jpg

Carol, I wish I had order the Jr version too....I am only 4' 11" so it would have worked for me too.

cotatica, Congratulations to you and your friend on your purchase. You will have to share with us how you like it once you break them in :) I've had mine almost 3 years and just love it. I have the new Prius V wagon and I can lift it into the back of the cargo area without folding it up.

My husband just ordered one-due to arrive in one week. He will be using it on our next cruise in 3 weeks. I will let you know how things go.

Dot

We've been back from our cruise for a while now. What a difference the scoot made. My husband got off the ship at all 5 port visits. There were no problems getting around. We had an aft cabin, so moving from one end of the ship to the other was very easily done. This was the very best purchase made. Our next venture is this August. We will be traveling to England, France, Faroe Islands, Iceland, Newfoundland and finally Boston. I know the scoot will allow my husband to have a wonderful TA.

Dot

• 5 weeks later...

Am trying to convince DH to take a portable scooter on our Hawaii/Tahiti cruise this Oct. Has anyone done the South Pacific islands using one ???? We will be in Bora Bora, Moorea, Raiatea, Rarotonga and Papeete. I realize there may be problems on sandy areas but don't know the road conditions there. Thanks.

My husband has rented a scooter for our last 3 cruises. We have 2 planned for this year-our next one in a month is out of San Juan and our second in August is out of Harwich. He is unable to rent on these due to the lack of supply of a scooter for someone over 400 lbs. in these ports. This led us to looking into the travel scoot after reading Elizabeth's blog. We will bite the bullet and buy. But, since the cost to rent is high (over $1200 for the 2 listed cruises for this year) by taking a third cruise next year, we will be breaking even. We have read everything we can find on the scoot and are hoping it will work out for us. Thanks to everyone who has posted.

I know a scooter is in my future and in fact, I do rent one when we go to Disney. I love all the info here, but I am wondering if you can tell me who Elizabeth is and where I can find her blog. Thanks.

http://mytravelscoot.blogspot.com

I have my travelscoot that is about a month old. I am in love with it already. I did a lot of research and reading since 2009 when I first saw the travelscoot and finally decided it was now that I need to get it before I can't get out and about on my own. I live alone, can walk but not very far as pain starts down my legs from back injury. I have been limited to where I go, what I do and who I do it with. I use a cane or a walker and have now been given a brace for my foot drop. I decided I wanted to be able to take grandkids to the park 4 blocks away and this does that. I have gone into a large hardware store and the "red sling" that comes with it for the bottom worked great for all that I needed to get. I have gone to the de Young Museum in SF that I could not possible do before and enjoyed every minute of it. Once again the red sling held my purse and my friends back pack. I noticed when I was putting the travelscoot back into the car that I was felling just as relaxed and refreshed as I was when I first took it out. Wow! Went to the Wed Night Market that goes down 4 blocks on both sides with side streets, I haven't been in over 10 years because of the walking that was needed. I went by myself! Oh that was so much fun. I am planning on it being with me on my next cruise and any after that. It is a wonderful investment. So lite and easy to get around. Just because it doesn't have reverse isn't a problem. Just a couple of pushes with the feet and you can turn around easily. Whatever you get don't wait to long, life is to short and a scooter frees you in so many ways. Wish I hadn't waited so long. Marla

• 3 weeks later...

DH will be using a scooter on our Oct. cruise. He wants to take our Golden (ok for the airlines and ship) but I want him to consider either the Travelscoot or Tzora models, which are much lighter and portable. Please explain how the crew handles this type of passenger --- is there a special place we need to go on the ship ??? Has anyone tendered with the heavier scooters (100 #). Thanks.

Please explain how the crew handles this type of passenger --- is there a special place we need to go on the ship ??? Has anyone tendered with the heavier scooters (100 #). Thanks.

First off...sorry I had to cut our discussion short last night...I try to get to bed by 8:30 since I get up at 3:45 a.m. for my 75 mile commute into DC :D

We've never had to go to a "special" place for debarkation with my scooter except when we were with a ship's sponsored cruise and they had the meeting area onboard the ship and that had nothing to do with the scooter...everyone met there.

Like I mentioned friends of mine have gotten their larger sized scooters on a tender in Grand Cayman...this is not the case in every port. Here are pics of them coming off the tender

Nieciez%2520C%2540N%2540L%2520%2528383%2529.JPG

Nieciez%2520C%2540N%2540L%2520%2528382%2529.JPG

Am trying to convince DH to take a portable scooter on our Hawaii/Tahiti cruise this Oct. Has anyone done the South Pacific islands using one ???? We will be in Bora Bora, Moorea, Raiatea, Rarotonga and Papeete. I realize there may be problems on sandy areas but don't know the road conditions there. Thanks.

We, too, will be taking this cruise (April, 2013) and would be interested in knowing about this. Hopefully, someone has experienced this and will let us know...

Cheers,

My wife has a travelscoot and it is just amazing. Last cruise we took a conventioanl wheelchair and it was fine onboard, and getting in and out of a tender, but not so hot ashore. We intend to go on a Seabourn cruise next - anyone used travelscoot on Seabourn bigger ships - Odyssey and Sojourn? I see that users have been able to get it in and out of conventioanl cabin doors on others hips - but I am wondering about Seabourn.

Has anyone used the Jr Travel Scoot (which is slightly narrower than the regular one), but still weighs the same? It can definitely fit between any of the cruise ship doorways. Just curious as to what other differences there may be. Or any Pros & Cons....

Has anyone used the Jr Travel Scoot (which is slightly narrower than the regular one), but still weighs the same? It can definitely fit between any of the cruise ship doorways. Just curious as to what other differences there may be. Or any Pros & Cons....

JR Overall length is 3' shorter

JR Seat Height is 4" lower

Which in turn makes the over leg room to the foot rest shorter

Weight is not listed for the jr model on the website so do not know if it's the same as the fullsize model .

You really need to speak directly to the manufacturer as I believe this scooter is not recommended for average height individuals . It appears to be offered as an option for shorter individuals. Travelscoot should really post the height ranges recommended for both the fullsize Travelscoot and the Jr model on it's website.

JR Overall length is 3' shorter

JR Seat Height is 4" lower

Which in turn makes the over leg room to the foot rest shorter

Weight is not listed for the jr model on the website so do not know if it's the same as the fullsize model .

You really need to speak directly to the manufacturer as I believe this scooter is not recommended for average height individuals . It appears to be offered as an option for shorter individuals. Travelscoot should really post the height ranges recommended for both the fullsize Travelscoot and the Jr model on it's website.

Thanks for this information. That would be too small for my DH who is 6 ft tall.... We do have a call in to Travelscoot, and had to leave a message. We are waiting to hear back from them. Sounds like this will be the answer for cruise ship travel and tendering too.

Archived