Back to Back Review Celebrity Summit Feb.4-18th

EithneMay

I was on the 2nd week of your cruise and was on the Catamaran Fan-Ta-Sea excursion. I am fairly sure there weren't 100 people but there were a lot. We had fun on the excursion, however, there were LOTS of drunk people by the end. We were a group of 4 adults (40s and 60s) and thought the catamaran staff should have cut some people off. Instead...they kept encouraging it.

We have cruised Celebrity 10 times and thought the main dining room food had deteriorated. Of course, there were some very good items and I never left the table hungry...but we felt the choices and quality were not what we have come to expect from Celebrity. We did not eat in QSine but everyone we talked to that did loved it. We did have lunch at Bistro on 5 and thought it was fantastic. Well worth the $5 cover charge. Food and service both were great.

I realize food opinions are very subjective...just wanted to add my "2 cents" about it and the excursion. I hope your ankle is getting better.

Soccer Mom

I was on the 2nd week of your cruise and was on the Catamaran Fan-Ta-Sea excursion. I am fairly sure there weren't 100 people but there were a lot. We had fun on the excursion, however, there were LOTS of drunk people by the end. We were a group of 4 adults (40s and 60s) and thought the catamaran staff should have cut some people off. Instead...they kept encouraging it.

We have cruised Celebrity 10 times and thought the main dining room food had deteriorated. Of course, there were some very good items and I never left the table hungry...but we felt the choices and quality were not what we have come to expect from Celebrity. We did not eat in QSine but everyone we talked to that did loved it. We did have lunch at Bistro on 5 and thought it was fantastic. Well worth the $5 cover charge. Food and service both were great.

I realize food opinions are very subjective...just wanted to add my "2 cents" about it and the excursion. I hope your ankle is getting better.

Soccer Mom

Thanks for you input about the excursion, it sounds like we made the best choice for our preferences. That party atmosphere is what we wanted to avoid.

Hi Amanda,

It was great meeting you and your hubby at lunch on turnaround day. Your review is spot on. My only comment is next time at Q'sine, try the cheesecake for dessert. It left me dying for more. So good.

Hope the ankle recovers soon and enjoy your new job. Take care.

Anne

Hope your ankle is better. Loved Silvermoon Tour in Barbados and looking forward to doing it again next year. We agree that the 14 night atmosphere is better. We made the same observations when we did the B2B 5 night cruises. There were more families and party people. Glad to hear you tried the Drunken Monkey in St Kitts. Enjoyed reading the review and will keep all of it in mind for next April. Sounds like Neil did a great job making your birthday special. Kudos to the TA!

I have to say that our turnaround day on our B2B was so smooth. We waited in Michael's Club with coffee, tea and Danish. We were taken ashore and thru customs as a group. We then returned to Michael's Club since the cabins weren't ready. Now we were offered champagne, Mamosas and finger sandwiches. Great day. They said we had to go ashore bc they have to get to a zero passenger count.

Thanks again....glad you enjoyed most of your tours. We had a fabulous experience with Levi Barrons tour (same one you did) in December 2010 and recommend him to everyone! We hope to do the other S. Caribbean itinerary (one with St. Lucia, etc.)next year so I was very interested in your thoughts.

Hope your ankle is better; that could really have put a damper on your trip. I fell on the cobblestones in Old San Juan and ended up with a HUGE bruise on my thigh all week but it didn't curtail any activities. Now, the seasickness of the Eclipse was another story.....

Question about the birthday package you received from your TA....it sounds wonderful. Could you ask him if this is one of the Celebrity packages you can purchase online. I would love to get this for DH's birthday (its the day we sail). Did you also get a cake and/or birthday serenade in Qsine?

Thanks for the review.

We're doing the exact same B2B in April. This will be our first B2B. Few questions about turn-around day:

Are we allowed to sleep in late or do they want us out of the cabin like the rest of the departing passengers?

Is there a lot of sitting around waiting for the ship to clear before you are led off to get your new cards?

If we wish to leave the ship in the morning can we check in later in the day, or must we do the check-in with the group?

Regarding St Lucia, we like Ti Kaye day pass with Island divers. Best thing going in our opinion. Good snorkeling, great use of the resort, lunch included, not to far from the port so it maximized time at resort. Nice beach with snorkeling and pool is up high on the cliff, so great views too.

Thanks again....glad you enjoyed most of your tours. We had a fabulous experience with Levi Barrons tour (same one you did) in December 2010 and recommend him to everyone! We hope to do the other S. Caribbean itinerary (one with St. Lucia, etc.)next year so I was very interested in your thoughts.

Hope your ankle is better; that could really have put a damper on your trip. I fell on the cobblestones in Old San Juan and ended up with a HUGE bruise on my thigh all week but it didn't curtail any activities. Now, the seasickness of the Eclipse was another story.....

Question about the birthday package you received from your TA....it sounds wonderful. Could you ask him if this is one of the Celebrity packages you can purchase online. I would love to get this for DH's birthday (its the day we sail). Did you also get a cake and/or birthday serenade in Qsine?

I will ask the TA! I did get a nice birthday cupcake and a song in Q'sine!

Saturday (turn around day) in San Juan.

We were offered breakfast in the Main Dining Room to avoid the rush in the buffet that morning. We were surprised that there were 120 people doing a back to back. We were then led to the conference room, checked in, and told to wait until customs had cleared everyone off of the ship. Around 11:15 (an hour late) we were led off of the ship, and through customs where we had to show our passport. Then we were given new ship cards and let back on the ship. As soon as we were all check in, they started letting the new cruisers on the ship. This was different from previous back to back cruises we had experienced. On previous cruises, we have not even had to get off of the ship. I am not sure what the delay was getting everyone else off, but it seemed to be a trend. Because of the delay, we did not have the feeling that we were able to enjoy having the ship to ourselves, and we missed that a bit. Overall, the experience was pretty painless. We had the same cabin both weeks, so we did not have to change.

We dined in Q’sine that night because the menu in the main dinning room did not change from week to week, and we felt the fist night was the weakest. We ordered the Sangria (amazing), and 6 different things to try. I had the lava crab (hubby is allergic), and it was very good. Think, fancy crab cake. We then had the Spring Rolls, which we thought the vegetable ones were the best. We were surprised how much we liked them! We then had the crunchy munchies, which were okay. We followed that with the Slider Party (one of our favorites), and then the meatballs. The meatballs were the only disappointing thing we ordered. The turkey one was still raw in the middle, and when we pointed it out, we were told that it was the cheese and cranberries in the middle that made it look raw. Well… I touched it and it was still cold, so we did not eat it. The best by far was the painters fillet. It was amazing. We were almost too full for dessert. I had the chocolate tombstone which was good, but not great. I am always disappointed with chocolate on the ships. Hubby had the doughnuts, which were very good. Overall, it was a great meal, and we booked it again for later in the week.

I will post more from the second week later!! Time for a break, laundry, and to get ready for work!

Hi Amanda,

Thank you so much for this great review!! I have a question, you mention that in your second week, the first day, on the dining room was the weakest, Can you tell me what was it?? Thanks. I'm thinking to do the Q'

sine the first day. Thanks.

Saturday (turn around day) in San Juan.

We were offered breakfast in the Main Dining Room to avoid the rush in the buffet that morning. We were surprised that there were 120 people doing a back to back. We were then led to the conference room, checked in, and told to wait until customs had cleared everyone off of the ship. Around 11:15 (an hour late) we were led off of the ship, and through customs where we had to show our passport. Then we were given new ship cards and let back on the ship. As soon as we were all check in, they started letting the new cruisers on the ship. This was different from previous back to back cruises we had experienced. On previous cruises, we have not even had to get off of the ship. I am not sure what the delay was getting everyone else off, but it seemed to be a trend. Because of the delay, we did not have the feeling that we were able to enjoy having the ship to ourselves, and we missed that a bit. Overall, the experience was pretty painless. We had the same cabin both weeks, so we did not have to change.

Amanda, thanks for the details on the B2B routine. I'll have to relay this info to the turnaround day Barcelona tour host on my Med and TA B2B in November. We have a group breakfast scheduled early and an 8:30 a.m. pick up for a tour on the turnaround day. Sounds like we will need plan B.

Hi Amanda,

Thank you so much for this great review!! I have a question, you mention that in your second week, the first day, on the dining room was the weakest, Can you tell me what was it?? Thanks. I'm thinking to do the Q'

sine the first day. Thanks.

DH and I had the chicken dish and it was very bland and tough. There was a lamb dish that had pieces of lamb with root vegetables surrounded with pastry puff. I believe there was a crusted trout dish, and a vegetarian dish as well. We spoke to several people who sat around us and they said the trout was the best, and the lamb was not very good. I know food is subjective, so I am just passing along information.

I'd appreciate that! I had our TA note DHs birthday on our reservation but plan to visit Qsine earlier in the day to make sure they will recognize the birthday!

I believe he ordered the full birthday package for me. In Q'sine DH just mentioned it was my birthday and they surprised us at dessert.

DH and I had the chicken dish and it was very bland and tough. There was a lamb dish that had pieces of lamb with root vegetables surrounded with pastry puff. I believe there was a crusted trout dish, and a vegetarian dish as well. We spoke to several people who sat around us and they said the trout was the best, and the lamb was not very good. I know food is subjective, so I am just passing along information.

We were on the same cruise and I too had the lamb the first night and the trout the second and neither of the dishes wowed me. I found the food overall too heavy with too much oil being used, whether it was in the MDR, the buffet, or the Bistro. Maybe it's just me being a bit more sensitive having recently gotten over a gallstone attack the week before we sailed, as well as not wanting to gain several extra pounds, but I felt that the food was better on other lines that we have sailed on. The meal that I looked forward to the most was the expanded room service breakfast menu offered in the concierge class cabins. That made up for the disappointing meals elsewhere.

I believe he ordered the full birthday package for me. In Q'sine DH just mentioned it was my birthday and they surprised us at dessert.

Thanks for checking; I'm sure DH will have a wonderful birthday....he'll be on a cruise after all, and enjoying making his way through the beer menu at michaels!

Archived