SD I -July 14, Venice to Athens

frequent traveler

Needless to say I am in trouble at home . . .i am just not a tour or organized day person when on holiday. I spend too much time on calls and in meetings with people at work. SD is fantastic for being as sociable or as non sociable as you like !

How can you be in trouble at home when I am at the mouse house? :rolleyes:

Geez . . . now I know that I don't have to plan anything for Venice, but I am still going back to Ephesus!

and the price wasn't right:eek: . . . but to make decent connections and not spend 35 hrs getting home, FF miles to Venice and back from Athens didn't work this summer. Oh, well, paying for tickets this summer means next year's will likely be FF . . . FT

FT, did you find a decent route home from Athens?

If so, do you mind me asking where you connect and which airline you'll be taking?

Thanks,

CDreamer

Wow! Getting home from ATH with only one stop (even if it is JFK) is really good. We never get that here in Podunk.:D

having to drive a bit to RDU to get home without overnight stay in NYC or transfer to LGA, but worth it (assuming clearing customs isn't a nightmare and we make connection in 2 hrs). Fare was pretty reasonable (business class less than coach) until Delta imposed surcharge of $806 per person (guess that is how they offset the cheap 50 day business fares they advertise).

Fare was pretty reasonable (business class less than coach) until Delta imposed surcharge of $806 per person (guess that is how they offset the cheap 50 day business fares they advertise).

Gotta love those hidden or tacked on airline fees! :mad:

At least you were able to find a decent flight home that will eliminate extra stops along the way.

Now it's time to concentrate on all the FUN you'll be having once you're back on SD again! :D

yes, can't wait - especially since I will have spent most of the prior 2 months before it on the road for business (dreaded Sao Paolo airport tomorrow a.m). Looking forward to being on SD I again - been years, stayed on SD II due to Captain Tysse's marketing abilities and grew to love Peter and Jaime. But now that Silvio is on I, looking forward to sailing and can't beat itinerary (though price drops for 2nd leg scare me - hope it won't get last minute charter).

FT

having to drive a bit to RDU to get home without overnight stay in NYC or transfer to LGA, but worth it (assuming clearing customs isn't a nightmare and we make connection in 2 hrs). Fare was pretty reasonable (business class less than coach) until Delta imposed surcharge of $806 per person (guess that is how they offset the cheap 50 day business fares they advertise).

FT:

What, supposedly, is the $800 surcharge for?? That is quite a sock in the kisser.:eek: Is that per ticket or for the whole gang? Geez, glad we did DL Biz to UK last May. I hate air fare costing as much or more than the cruise.:mad:

FT:

What, supposedly, is the $800 surcharge for?? That is quite a sock in the kisser.:eek: Is that per ticket or for the whole gang? Geez, glad we did DL Biz to UK last May. I hate air fare costing as much or more than the cruise.:mad:

it was buried in the itemized taxes - couldn't figure it out. Total "taxes" per ticket was $933.40. When I looked the code up (after I bought the ticket) Delta described YQ as "Carrier-Imposed Surcharges

Carrier-imposed surcharges stated separately from the base fare on some international itineraries" which I think is misleading - Base fare was very low, so I'm sure it was a way to get closer to the real fare (above premium coach). here's the link to all the itemized fees - http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/plan_flight/online_reservations/fares_ticketing_rules/taxes_fees/index.jsp

Even if I had figured it out before buying the ticket, bottom line price was still better for route than anyone else for business class.

FT

it was buried in the itemized taxes - couldn't figure it out. Total "taxes" per ticket was $933.40. When I looked the code up (after I bought the ticket) Delta described YQ as "Carrier-Imposed Surcharges

Carrier-imposed surcharges stated separately from the base fare on some international itineraries" which I think is misleading - Base fare was very low, so I'm sure it was a way to get closer to the real fare (above premium coach). here's the link to all the itemized fees - http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/plan_flight/online_reservations/fares_ticketing_rules/taxes_fees/index.jsp

Even if I had figured it out before buying the ticket, bottom line price was still better for route than anyone else for business class.

FT

Clear as mud.:eek: Amazing, isnt it? the more regulations we get "protecting the consumer" the worse it gets. Ok to keep this legal, I know you will not have those problems with SeaDream:D

Clear as mud.:eek: Amazing, isnt it? the more regulations we get "protecting the consumer" the worse it gets. Ok to keep this legal, I know you will not have those problems with SeaDream:D

This is a thread I started so I won't complain if we stray off topic but if Moderator Dan reins me in I will have to follow the rules. Did get an email from SD 2 days ago for unadvertised special fare to Club members that is $1k less than what I paid. So I am curious if a return guest booking on board right now would get that discounted fare -- below the Web advertised price? Sent it to my travel agent ant waiting for a response from SD .

I can comment on Ephesus, having just been there a couple of weeks ago. It was quite crowded, mostly with "young turks", as it seems to be a favorite field trip spot. Fortunately we had a private guide and driver. The guide did a good job getting us through the crowds. The cliff houses were a real treat, don't miss those! And oddly, no crowds in there, I guess the extra cost prevents the students from going.

We also went back in the evening for the private Seabourn concert at the foot of the large amphitheater. Didn't seem very promising until the sun starting going down and the ruins were lit up by the dying sun and the "mood" lighting provided. Pretty awesome.

But, not sure I would go back there again unless assured it was "off season" and there would be few people. The sea of people made it impossible to pause and look at the fine details that often make that sort of place interesting. Glad I went once though (well twice, if you count going back for the concert...)

Our guide took us around to other sights that were fairly interesting. If you have only done Ephasus and not the other things in there area, you might want to reseaarch the area a bit and see some of the other things. We really liked Turkey, would like to do a "deep dive" there some day. We spent a day doing Ephesus and environs, a day to visit Troy and environs, and then two days in Istanbul. Mrs D really wants to go back for a carpet shopping spree. We recently bought a new, much larger house and she is champing at the bit to feather it...

I can comment on Ephesus, having just been there a couple of weeks ago. It was quite crowded, mostly with "young turks", as it seems to be a favorite field trip spot. Fortunately we had a private guide and driver. The guide did a good job getting us through the crowds. The cliff houses were a real treat, don't miss those! And oddly, no crowds in there, I guess the extra cost prevents the students from going.

We also went back in the evening for the private Seabourn concert at the foot of the large amphitheater. Didn't seem very promising until the sun starting going down and the ruins were lit up by the dying sun and the "mood" lighting provided. Pretty awesome.

But, not sure I would go back there again unless assured it was "off season" and there would be few people. The sea of people made it impossible to pause and look at the fine details that often make that sort of place interesting. Glad I went once though (well twice, if you count going back for the concert...)

Our guide took us around to other sights that were fairly interesting. If you have only done Ephasus and not the other things in there area, you might want to reseaarch the area a bit and see some of the other things. We really liked Turkey, would like to do a "deep dive" there some day. We spent a day doing Ephesus and environs, a day to visit Troy and environs, and then two days in Istanbul. Mrs D really wants to go back for a carpet shopping spree. We recently bought a new, much larger house and she is champing at the bit to feather it...

Thanks Rangar

On our last Med cruise we spent 2 full days a Kusadasi so have seen pretty much all we want to see in the area. I want to go back to Ephesus and the Cave of the Sleepers and then back to town, that will probably be all we do and will have a guide for the two of us.

• 2 weeks later...
Serious planning has begun when ZQVOL has ordered online "gondola" passes and public wc cards--apparently cheaper to purchase in advance!

I have ordered nothing yet. But all reviews say to buy the water bus passes online as you save about 25%. It seems that the public WC are 1 Euro per use. You can buy 10 for 7 Euro if you get them online ahead of time. After some recent medical issues better to be safe than sorry. :) You can also get all of your museum admissions that way too, but no plans for any of those at this time.

But we do fly out 5 weeks from tonight!

Btw don't rely on hotels in Mexico to convert $ to pesos. New anti money laundering rules prohibit. More travel trivia . Off topic but it's my thread:)

Last May, in the UK, no bank--repeat NO bank would take US currency in trade for Pounds Sterling. had to trade at Marks & Spencers money traders for very bad rate. ***!:eek: Our money is becoming illegal everywhere.

Well I bought the ACTV tickets this afternoon online. Actually got a good exchange rate, (I think ) 1.24 Last time we were in Europe it was about 1.60

The only tour we are going to book is done (EKOL to Ephesus private tour for 2 is only $2 pp more than SDs group tour.)

We sail 35 days from today!

The only tour we are going to book is done (EKOL to Ephesus private tour for 2 is only $2 pp more than SDs group tour.)

We sail 35 days from today!

And there is no forced "shopping" - I believe the SD tour ends up at a rug factory! We are very firm with EKOL - ABSOLUTELY no shopping! But if you haven't ever seen Turkish rugs being made or heard the history - definitely worth it one time. Just not a repeat visit. And there are some great deals if you are in the market. And anything you buy in Turkey is exempt from duties in the US :)

Archived