SD I -July 14, Venice to Athens

frequent traveler

one difference in rooms on SD I from SD II. The bathroom shower door is a tri-fold. No need to use a form at the top to hold the door closed. No leaks. So my question is, why can't SD II have the same bathroom door? Also, on SD 1, the crane doesn't blook the corner of the back of Deck 4- so its better for a table for eating outside, and the tender is not hanging down blocking the view for a table there. CTBJR- what is the reason? enquiring minds want to know :)

FT

FT and ZQVOL, I've been enjoying your reports and thinking how much I wish we had booked a sojurn on SD this summer. Alas, it was not to be as I've been doing exciting things such as tending to elderly relatives and spending Sunday afternoons driving back and forth between Orlando and Arcadia, FL among other things. Imagine my surprise yesterday afternoon as I was reading your latest report and found the above call to arms addressed to me!

Having done my homework, here is what I can share with you:

SD2 had the most recent major refit first (prior to SD1). During the SD2 drydock process they discovered some items that could be improved and which were incorporated into the SD1 refit. This includes placement of the corridor lighting, the doors on the shower, and a few other slight modifications in the bathrooms such as the exact type of fixtures.

Also, SD2 had a hard wood floor in the concierge foyer which is now standard carpet. On deck 6 the SD1 TOY Bar is placed further forward than on SD2 giving guests more dancing/standing area on SD1. In fact, that may be the reason that there seems to be more dancing on tables on SD2 than on SD1.....

The life raft davit (crane) are indeed in different locations. On SD1 it is placed deck 4 forward on the starboard side. On SD2 it is port side aft. This was changed in the 90s and pre SeaDream.

Also, I understand that the concierge desk is much easier for the Concierges on SD1 than on SD2. I'm not sure what that means but perhaps since you're currently on board SD1 you can investigate and report back?

Hope that's what you were looking for. I'm here to serve!

Sitting on the Bali bed gazing at the beautiful sea with its multiple shades of aquamarine and turquoise. Lunch included King crab legs and chilled Blackberry soup. Life is good. More details about Rab to follow but definitely worth coming back to.

Is my Bali bed getting good use:cool:

FT and ZQVOL, I've been enjoying your reports and thinking how much I wish we had booked a sojurn on SD this summer. Alas, it was not to be as I've been doing exciting things such as tending to elderly relatives and spending Sunday afternoons driving back and forth between Orlando and Arcadia, FL among other things. Imagine my surprise yesterday afternoon as I was reading your latest report and found the above call to arms addressed to me!

Having done my homework, here is what I can share with you:

SD2 had the most recent major refit first (prior to SD1). During the SD2 drydock process they discovered some items that could be improved and which were incorporated into the SD1 refit. This includes placement of the corridor lighting, the doors on the shower, and a few other slight modifications in the bathrooms such as the exact type of fixtures.

Also, SD2 had a hard wood floor in the concierge foyer which is now standard carpet. On deck 6 the SD1 TOY Bar is placed further forward than on SD2 giving guests more dancing/standing area on SD1. In fact, that may be the reason that there seems to be more dancing on tables on SD2 than on SD1.....

The life raft davit (crane) are indeed in different locations. On SD1 it is placed deck 4 forward on the starboard side. On SD2 it is port side aft. This was changed in the 90s and pre SeaDream.

Also, I understand that the concierge desk is much easier for the Concierges on SD1 than on SD2. I'm not sure what that means but perhaps since you're currently on board SD1 you can investigate and report back?

Hope that's what you were looking for. I'm here to serve!

Very informative ctbjr! Always fun to look for the differences on the yachts!

One recommendation – if you can book excursions in advance – do so for the Split Rivieria by Speedboat. It was full before we boarded and we are on the waitlist. Half the ship wants to go. Hopefully they will be able to arrange extra boats with this much notice. FT

FT, any news on this? Hopefully they will be able to accommodate you and the rest of the passengers who still want to go on this excursion. Sounds like a great day trip.

Was surprised it had already filled up by the time you got on board - with the ship at less than capacity I would have thought there'd still be some spots left?

FT, every time I see mussels, I think of you!

We'll end up in Venice next June (as soon as I book the cruise on board in October!) -- I was never interested in it, but have decided we should see it at least once! Don't expect to fall in love with it, but think two days should do it -- Harry's Bar, St. Marks Sq, etc. Like your idea of getting lost on the side streets! We'll probably do the Hilton on the island.

Congratulations to Enes! He'll do a great job!

I have discovered that I can't tell the difference between I and II, except for things like the shape of the sink in the bathroom and the fact that the doors are different on the showers (and some of the art work). One of the ships has a nice little bar in the shower that is good for hanging up bathing suits -- but I couldn't tell you which one it is!

Can you now book shore excursions in advance??? I've never seen the ability to do that -- would be nice. One of the things I liked about Regent. ......

Enjoying your reports!

Vandrefalk

everyone has been accommodated for tomorrow 's excursion

Today 's excursion, the waterfalls at Krka, were stunning. Absolutely breathtaking . The only drawback were the masses that started arriving shortly after us (SD was the 1st) which made the walk back a bit challenging as certain tour groups didn't understand the meaning of single file.

Last night started off with tuna carpaccio. Then had a "sampler" of both soups, tomato with cilantro and then cream of asparagus. Strongly recommend the spicy tomato. Had an entree portion of the steak tartare. Then was a bit disappointed when then the "chocolate tart" had nuts however lo and behold a nut free version was delivered a few minutes later. Turns out Doramus hated to see me chocolate free. A dinner companion decided he would have steak tartare with his dessert. No problem. Isn't SD great!

Yesterday at breakfast a 1st time SDer expressed a desire for Sushi at breakfast. Today as some of us were dashing off for an excursion at the awful hour of 8 am a freshly rolled tray of sushi plus sashimi was delivered to the guest.

We are now sailing from Sibenik to Split. I am hanging out in the office watching the waves, sailboats, and the beautiful Dalmatian coastline.

If you haven't done it, put Croatia on SD on your bucket list

Here are a few photos. I am only at 800 so fart and not real happy with what I am getting but something is better than nothing.

Venice:

Opatija

Rab

Sibenik

Split

ZQ

Thanks for the photos and update zqvol!

Is that Capt. Bjarne I saw at the helm? If so please give him DJ's DH and my best. Let him know I can't help navigating as the waters and ports are unknown to me:p:D:o

FT, every time I see mussels, I think of you!

We'll end up in Venice next June (as soon as I book the cruise on board in October!) -- I was never interested in it, but have decided we should see it at least once! Don't expect to fall in love with it, but think two days should do it -- Harry's Bar, St. Marks Sq, etc. Like your idea of getting lost on the side streets! We'll probably do the Hilton on the island.

Can you now book shore excursions in advance??? I've never seen the ability to do that -- would be nice. One of the things I liked about Regent. ......

Enjoying your reports!

Vandrefalk

We got an e mail a couple of weeks before our trip with a form on booking excursions in advance Nothing on line. However all have gone so far and everyone has been able to get what they wanted. We ended up with 34 signed up for tomorrow. There was another advanced bike ride today. We have some maniacs on board. Yoga has been scheduled every day but I havent made it yet!

Not near enough. This was a fluke - I knew the week was going awfully well. We have "royalty" and a crony boarding next week so I won't even garner an honorable mention then.

FT

Royalty? Not THAT Royalty????

:eek:Oh yes . . . That one:eek: but Silvio also returns :D

So, it's the old good news, bad news deal. Let's hope that Silvio doesn't take an advance peek at the passenger list and suddenly take ill.....

Good luck to all.

Boy, FT. You sure can attract the good stuff.:eek::D

And my understanding is Donatas is also on board! Lucky you, FT! ;)

Thanks for posting more pics - never get tired of seeing those amazing waterfalls and these towns on the water's edge: so picturesque and clean. Looks like the weather's cooperating now too.

Can't wait to hear about your Split adventure tomorrow. Glad they were able to accommodate everyone!

Yes we have had Donatas .he has been fantastic. While you could never tell he is on last week ( no apparent fatigue) we've heard through a 3rd party that he is leaving SD to take advantage of a wonderful business opportunity at home.

Had dinner last night with a member of a medical team that audits a number of small cries lines. Including SD. Did not discuss SD specifically other than we all want more items on room service menu ...but some fascinating conversation. Once the brazilians and I chatted about Sao Paulo and my ability to understand a bit of Portuguese and we spoke a bit in Spanish, deck life in my area has been a bit quieter . Since al the guests are very nice - no cliques and have diverse interests, it's very good conversation.

We will be returning ... The excursions are taking up so much time, did not see Sibenik and will not be able to fully explore the Diocletian palace here in Split. Ctbjt-will pass along your message and will be topside for Kotor. Email won't send my answer to your email! Off to bk and then our speedboat!

Ctbjr-will pass along your message and will be topside for Kotor. Email won't send my answer to your email! Off to bk and then our speedboat!

Thanks, FT. Please also give our regards to Donatus who we haven't seen in some time. If true that he is leaving, he will be missed but we're very glad that he has such a nice opportunity in the works at home. Of course, it is possible that he heard about the impending arrival of the Royalty and decided the time is right to bail!

Leaving Split, Croatia in about an hour. Excursion to Hvar and Palmizana. Definitely not worth the cost, and not as all as described. The worst part is that they changed sail away by an hour, didn't tell anyone and as a result I missed Diocletian's Palace which I would have had enough time to see if I had know about the change.

Not a happy camper but all will be well.

Pictures to follow.

Next stop Kotor Montenegro.

A first tonight at the Club Members party. FT had the most number of nights!

Congrats to FT!

Not near enough. This was a fluke - I knew the week was going awfully well. We have "royalty" and a crony boarding next week so I won't even garner an honorable mention then.

FT

There are never enough nights on SD!

Hmm ... Is it who I think it is?

Leaving Split, Croatia in about an hour. Excursion to Hvar and Palmizana. Definitely not worth the cost, and not as all as described. .

Zqvol, you were disappointed in Hvar or the way the excursion was handled? We really enjoyed Hvar, especially the panoramic views from the castle.

I can fully appreciate your frustration about the early sail away and not being able to see Diocletian's Palace. Was hoping you'd be able to do both while you were there. :(

Yes we have had Donatas .he has been fantastic. While you could never tell he is on last week ( no apparent fatigue) we've heard through a 3rd party that he is leaving SD to take advantage of a wonderful business opportunity at home.

Wow. :(

While I am very happy for Donatas and the opportunity that lies ahead for him, this is a big loss for SD passengers, like ourselves, who have grown so fond of him.

I keep telling Donatas he needs to publish a book of all his photos - he's an amazing photographer!

As ZQVOL posted today was not a great day . Extremely overpriced excursion made pretty worthless due to tailoring for physical condition of one guest who had no business being on speed boat. We will see if SD makes right but for $300 per person I expected to go to the beach - not have it scuttled because one guest couldn't make a wet landing

We turned down an invite to the captain's table tonight because I knew I couldn't stop from whining and that's just not nice :)

Oh well, tomorrow is another day and I need to give SD a chance to make it right. Icing down the knee right now. ... Choppy seas on the way back ...

FT

Zqvol, you were disappointed in Hvar or the way the excursion was handled? We really enjoyed Hvar, especially the panoramic views from the castle.

I can fully appreciate your frustration about the early sail away and not being able to see Diocletian's Palace. Was hoping you'd be able to do both while you were there. :(

Hvar was lovely - however we were only given 50 minutes there before we regathered. Then we were given a "choice ". Stay there or cross the canal for 10 minutes where we had to walk a mile for to spend an hour at most before crossing back to Hvar and then back to Split. due to lateness of part of group our 7 hr trip was less than 6 and we doubled back to Hvar and "hiked" to a no name beach instead of a wet landing at Brac.

Archived