SD I -July 14, Venice to Athens

frequent traveler

Parga pictures

Early in morning we will sail past Nafpaktos on our way to Galaxadi.

We are just now sailing from Parga. I found a nice bakery in town and bought some lovely koulorikia, including some that had chocolate in them, and some fresh katafi.

The chef tasted them and said we would have to find another bakery so that we could buy for all the guests. It can be rough having to hunt down bakeries and sample koulorikia to make sure that they are good.

Let's just say I'm glad I didnt want to swim or use the hot tub this pm after we returned. Small children had taken over around 4 pm. One parent of 2 boys under 10 thinks the ship is their playground. The eldest has no qualms about jumping in the pool and another family lets their small son swim around in the hot tub as if it were his own lap pool.

I contrast that to the other extremely well behaved youth on board.

FT

and this doesn't include the bunch that took over the water trampoline, effectively making it useless for everyone else and also used the life preserver that is strung out from the back of the boat as their own personal play toy. made it impossible to swim off the back of the boat safely, so no swimming for me.

and this doesn't include the bunch that took over the water trampoline, effectively making it useless for everyone else and also used the life preserver that is strung out from the back of the boat as their own personal play toy. made it impossible to swim off the back of the boat safely, so no swimming for me.

And the crew is doing nothing about this???

Chef Sudesh and his team are determined that I break a record for weight gain. If you like scallops the menu has been full of them the past 10 days. Since I'm allergic, I thought I would at least be able to eliminate those courses. But no, he has to create special dishes as replacements and yes, we are having 2 degustation dinners. Tonight while others had scallops, I started with Ceviche of jumbo prawns with caviar. To die for

Then it was foie gras (and I ate most of Philip's sautéed instead of my terrine)

Cappuccino of Lobster bisque with cognac. Not heavy but very flavorful

I skipped the champagne and strawberry sorbet and chose veal Wellington. Other choices were grilled halibut or cannelloni with ricotta and spinach

Cheese course was warm Camembert and I finished with fondant au chocolate. ZQVOL had the coconut rice pudding(last nights skipped dessert) new truffle was tiny marshmallows coated in chocolate. Tried to resist but Nikola gave extra which are on tray in our cabin. Gives takeout a whole new meaning

Pacing was perfect. Even though party of 9 was in our section Nikola, Job, and Xander were on top of it all. Like last week when the experienced maitre d assisted when it was busy, tonight Sylvio was also dashing around and service was top notch. Throw in the orange ball sinking below the horizon, the light breeze and clear skies, couldn't ask for more.

Tomorrow is Delphi, gelato party by the pool at 4, and Corinth Canal at 7. Busy day ahead.

FT

Your dinner sounds delicious. Is Jose on board?

It was. Jose the pastry chef went home and Garfield is back. Jose from the wait staff is on board.

JA, we have an extended family on board (all adults). 3 of the members are unsung American heros, two having completed multiple stays in Afghanistan. The patriarch, a repeat SD , is not happy with the child situation on board. I am starting to feel that the family are friends of the owner and get special privileges. It is nothing that the staff has said but the way certain acts have been handled.

However, I don't let it impact my particular location. And has had no adverse impact yet personally. If it does, should get interesting;)

FT

Lunch was mussels. Slightly different sauce this week- seemed to be heavier on the cream and lighter on the garlic and wine. Both were good but preferred last weeks version. Tomato and feta salad was amazing as was duck and noodle salad ( spicy) . Too full to attempt the Soup- Hungarian goulash. It was hot in temp and I was too hot after Delphi.

More on Delphi excursion later. Guide was excellent and this is a SD excursion I would recommend. Unfortunately 3 yr old sat behind me on bus and pulled my hair at least 3 times when he grabbed seat. Off to spa.

FT

Just went down to the hot. Not happening today , there were six, yes six boys under the age of ten using it as their own private lap pool and a couple of older ones in the regular pool.:eek::mad::eek:

The waiter Jose is one of my favorites. He always has this big, warm, wonderful smile on his face. He made our last SD cruise extra memorable.

I'm sorry your cruise has been somewhat spoiled by the presence of unruly kids... It's a shame that their parents seem to just let them run amok. But it sounds like you both have a pretty good attitude under the circumstances. :o

I'm looking forward to reading about Delphi, since that's one of the places we're going when we do our next SD cruise. :)

I have learned from this voyage just to not risk it during holidays. If and when we return to SD it will only be during shoulder season when there is low probability of this many small children on board. This will never be all adult, when SD senior management feel comfortable bringing children on board during holidays, it will never be restricted, no matter how it's marketed (see small children in those marketing materials?)

I guess I am just the Grinch but when I have a child cut me off getting out of the tender and then again on the stairs to TOY, I am fed up. Especially when I know the family is only on here at a lower cost than we paid per person.

FT

I have learned from this voyage just to not risk it during holidays. If and when we return to SD it will only be during shoulder season when there is low probability of this many small children on board. This will never be all adult, when SD senior management feel comfortable bringing children on board during holidays, it will never be restricted, no matter how it's marketed (see small children in those marketing materials?)

I guess I am just the Grinch but when I have a child cut me off getting out of the tender and then again on the stairs to TOY, I am fed up. Especially when I know the family is only on here at a lower cost than we paid per person.

FT

I certainly agree with you. After reading about this stuff, I am not unhappy about cancelling November. Lois & I have promised each other that if we have a kid issue again on board one more time, it will be our last ever on SeaDream. Makes the product very inconsistent. The food is consistent, the service is consistent (unless the owner is aboard) but the kid factor can really change the enjoyment of the cruise. No, you are not the Grinch, there are just places on this planet where small children should not be allowed.

Corinth canal was fabulous . Dinner was wonderful. Saw porpoises again.but hung out at the back of the ship. Actually skipped caviar and champagne service when I got pushed out of the buffet line. Too crazy when the entire ship crowded the front part of deck 6. SD throws a great Corinth canal party. Ouzo cocktail was good.

ZQVOL has gone to movie tonight but pictures and more details will follow I promise. I just have to work a bit

FT

Pictures from Delphi

BTW there are no Galaxidi pictures because there is just not a lot there of interest.

Corinth Canal Transit

I have too many dolphin pictures to figure out which ones are good while on board the ship. I will be updating all the set when we get home.

ZQ

Corinth canal was fabulous . Dinner was wonderful. Saw porpoises again.but hung out at the back of the ship. Actually skipped caviar and champagne service when I got pushed out of the buffet line. Too crazy when the entire ship crowded the front part of deck 6. SD throws a great Corinth canal party. Ouzo cocktail was good.

ZQVOL has gone to movie tonight but pictures and more details will follow I promise. I just have to work a bit

FT

Left the movie early because I don't like watching an R rated movie with a bunch of under 10 year olds and no parents around, and before you ask I was told that we must take care of all the guests.:eek:

It is past the point of being old.

Pictures from Delphi

BTW there are no Galaxidi pictures because there is just not a lot there of interest.

Corinth Canal Transit

I have too many dolphin pictures to figure out which ones are good while on board the ship. I will be updating all the set when we get home.

ZQ

Incredible photos of the transit! Loved the dolphins as well.

Thanks so much to you and FT for sharing your experiences in words and photos while you are on board. I know how time consuming it can be post in real time!!

Z!! what fabulous photos of the Corinth Canal transit. Wasn't it amazing? Take that big ships with all your muscle and entertainment!!

I think I've told it on here before, but we did it in the late 90s on a Renassiance ship--their smallest. . .probably smaller than even SeaDream. The Greek captain poured Ouzo for us all himself as we celebrated on deck. If I recall, he drank his fair share. Of course, he was no longer in charge, well, sort of not in charge. . .the little boat directing is (what are they called Jim?)

Anyway, you snagged some great photos. The composition is great and tells the story beautifully.

Boo on kids on SeaDream (this from an adoring Grandmother). Agree with Jim, SD should take the plunge, just like many resorts do - it is not designed for kids!

Love your description of the food, FT. Drooling. :)

Delphi was amazing- we had the wind whiispering through the ruins. I had goosebumps standing at the entrance to the temple. All told its about a 2 mile walk through the site and museum. Our guide was excellent - multiple versions of the temple and the city through ought the centuries and she explained different uses. Great sense of humor. Our group chose to spend more time at the site and not go to the village of "New Delphi" for shopping. When the archeologists started the excavation, the village was relocated! Our only regret was that time did not allow to go to the nearby temple of Athena also. Museum is very good also. Small but don't miss the sphinx or the statute of the twins.it's a bit of a drive to get there - about 40 minutes each way but the mountains are gorgeous. You see an open hydra duct that is part of the system carrying water to Athens.

This is a winner excursion.

Off to hydra. We are not doing the group walk to the monastery. But off on our own today. Hopefully child free.

FT.

Had the hot tub to myself for 20 minutes before lunch and when I came in a few minutes ago adults and children were peacefully co-existing in the pool. I really like Hydra- but we went over early and best the day trippers arriving on ferries in masses. Only little town where the local cathedral and museum doesn't open until 7 pm. Found a gallery where the art is local and owners ships to the US- numerous boutiques hidden among the tourist kitsch. I finally had to stop going into stores else I walked out with something !

Went around the point- past the second bar and down steps - platforms for swimming are placed around the coastline. Water was clear and great temp- just not a beach. There are no cars on the island but you can ride a donkey if you don't want to walk. Just watch where you step!

Water sports today and then swimming off the platform. If it stays calm I'll get back in. Bar staff routinely hands out cold wash cloths a couple of times daily but no "spritzes" or "sprays" like I'm used to on SD 2. Perhaps I'm just not on deck at the right time.

We were originally scheduled to go through Corinth Canal at 10 pm but Capt adjusted schedule so we could go at 7. Really glad to be able. When I came up to TOY Sylvio suggested best view was from back of ship and he was right. Once we entered I moved to deck 4 and sipped on my ouzo cocktail as we went through .

Dinner was spicy Thai beef salad; tastings of cream of garlic and hot/sour soup. Chef totally changed garlic soup this week. Entree was lobster with a side of parpandelle pasta. Entirely different formulation of chocolate flour less cake. Very interesting when pastry chef changes and head chef is playing with recipes. All are good, but I do have preferences.

FT

Glad you enjoyed the Corinth Canal! We, too, went through in the evening and it was spectacular!!

Kids: have no business in the hot tub for health and safety reasons. Nor should they be allowed to run amuk and ruin the experience for all the other guests. We've been fortunate in that, when there have been kids on board, there haven't been too many and/or they have been well behaved. There have been a couple I would cheerfully have dropped overboard, however. Sounds like it's time for a letter to Mr. Lepisto. SD can't forbid children -- I'm sure it's against some law or other -- but they can control behaviour on board, even if the parents won't. When it is a safety issue or watching a movie that they wouldn't be allowed into anywhere else or just generally wreaking havoc, the senior crew or perhaps especially the captain (after all, he IS the master of the vessel!) needs to step in. They throw people off airplanes for bad behaviour! It's got to be bad when FT and ZQVOL start saying "if and when" they return to SD!!!:eek:

Perhaps they should lace the kids' food with benedryl :D Just kidding. . .

Vandrefalk

Archived