SD I -July 14, Venice to Athens

frequent traveler

Installment 2-Stateroom Appointments.

Warning – will likely bore most SD Club Members.

As everyone is aware, the cabins are fairly small as compared to newer ships. However by using almost all the space we were able to comfortably unpack all of our belongings for a 2 week stay (much better than some larger hotel rooms). We were able to store all of our bags under the bed (2 checked large soft side, hard bottom duffel bags and 2 rollaboards). We did have to request extra hangers. I do love the Sea Dream hangers. I make use of the slippers and robe for treks to the Spa so its nice to have them waiting for us. They disappeared fairly early on the last day of our voyage this time. I used to think – are they concerned we will take with us? Then I realized they had to be laundered for the next voyage. The same with the nice leather portfolios with the personalized stationery that has to be restocked each voyage.

I don’t think I turned on the flat screen panel TV once during the trip, but ZQ VOL watched a DVD and a number of fellow passengers kept them on all the time for the “continual movies” – A movie would run all day, so you could watch it in chunks. We did use Ipod docking station, especially when neighbors in one cabin cranked up music one time. That was the only time we had an issue with noise the entire trip.

If you have read the whole thread, you know we had issues with temperature in our first cabin and SD relocated us. This was confined to our cabin and was not a problem on board- we heard of no other issues on temperature in cabins (other than a travel writer who didn’t like air conditioning in his room at all since he didn’t have it at home! ). We were able to get 2nd cabin so cool, ZQVol had to request a blanket.

We had originally booked a cabin on Deck 2 but were upgraded to Deck 4. Normally it doesn’t make a difference to me to have a “porthole” v. a picture window for a view which is the only difference, but for the 2nd half of the voyage when I spent more time in the cabin than I have ever on SD, having the window was nice. As to the upgrade, sometimes we have, sometimes we haven’t. So we never plan on it and have been quite content with Deck 2 in the past.

The only sign of wear in our cabin was the carpet path from the door and the cabinet finish seems a bit dull. Bedding was luxurious as always and ZQVOL commented while on board he would miss the BVLGARI scent when he was home. Other than one of those retractable lines in the bathroom to hang dripping bathing suits, and perhaps another fixed shelf in the bathroom, I can’t really think of another fixture I would request or change. We had issues in both cabins with the toilet not working, however ZQ Vol believes it was due to passengers flushing what they shouldn’t be flushing. In any event, once reported, the situation was remedied immediately. That could happen anywhere and SD’s immediate response was much better than what we encounter in most hotels. I equate to my favorite – a Four Seasons.

I will have difficulty doing another 14 day btb in a standard cabin, having more than one dressing area when trying to get ready for dinner is really nice. While we worked out a “schedule” to shower and dress in shifts – maybe most couples don’t find this necessary, but we’ve gotten used to our home space and its hard to change habits. Another reason is you can have room service full dinners in a suite. Ms. Hatcher never dined in public and suites are the only place you can have en suite full service. Some nights, I just didn’t want to deal with the public space. Finally, on the 2nd half of the trip, until management corralled the children on board, ZQVOL and I spent more time in the cabin, not poolside and the space feels cramped after that many days.

Summary: SD makes the most of the cabin. Lighting, furniture, bedding are all acceptable. I travel so much on business the cabin seems like another hotel room. With the wonderful outdoor space on the yacht, typically, we just use the cabin to sleep and change clothes.

Wonderful photos zqvol!

Thanks for the continuing review FT. I learned something new ... never knew we could do full en suite dining when in a suite.

More please:D

@ Jim - I forgot that FT drinks her Cosmos san rocks:p

[quote

Thanks for the continuing review FT. I learned something new ... never knew we could do full en suite dining when in a suite.

p

I thought this was something special for the celebrity but a couple in the admiral suite our first week indicated they had done this several times.

The next item on the SD Guest Voyage Review is Stateroom Stewardess.

This one is easy.

As an aside I learned this voyage that the terms of their contract had been changed from 6 months on board/3 off to 8/2. This wasn't offered but I asked when our attendant changed mid voyage. This is a tough life (the business person in me says this reduces costs for SD) - I am amazed at anyone who can work day after day on a ship and we appreciate all the crew on SD very much.

Our attendants are always excellent. The cabins are made spotless twice daily. Mini fridge was restocked and any special request was quickly honored. It always amazed me how our cabin was restored to order the first time we both left for the day even though our routines varied a bit and we never saw anyone lurking in the halls. We never ran out of anything- I couldn't ask for more.

Next item on the survey is "Cuisine" . We have all the dinner menus and this one could take a while!

[quote

I thought this was something special for the celebrity but a couple in the admiral suite our first week indicated they had done this several times.

Next item on the survey is "Cuisine" . We have all the dinner menus and this one could take a while!

Wonder if it is just for the Admiral's and Owner's suites or if the same can be done in the Commodore's suites? We have held several cocktail parties when we had Commodore's suites (we have had a Commodore at least twice). Will have to check this out ... although I must say I do like dining al fresco:D

Can't wait to see the menus! I know how much time it takes to write those up!

Installment 4- Cuisine

Cuisine is so lengthy, this will take several postings . . .

When we boarded in Venice, we of course had the canapés offered in the Main Salon during the afternoon and I believe ZQ Vol had a club sandwich at the TOY bar during the afternoon. The cocktail hour also offered canapés every night, usually between 7 and 8.

Our introduction to the SD menu on the first night dinner

“ Confluence Cuisine aboard SeaDream Yacht – As the Leading Small Luxury Yachting Company we believe in being the Champion in all things sustainable. SeaDream works hard to bring our Guests the best tasting ingredients that make sense for the plate, the palate and the planet. We invite You to indulge Yourselves in experiencing the extensive selection of Wines and Vintages from SeaDream’s well stocked Cellars.”

I won’t focus on a rehash day by day of all the offerings. ZQ VOL will likely post a link to his blog where he often scans the menus from each day. But the highlights from this btb – if you have the chance to sail with the Corporate Chef, Sudesh Kishore – take it. Rearrange your schedule. Not only is he a wonderful chef, but a wonderful person. He makes the rounds, breakfast, lunch, and dinner and seems to truly welcome and value the input of the Guests. And his attitude is mirrored by all the kitchen staff. I wouldn’t order every dish I had again, but I had some of the best fruit, meat, pasta, and desserts I remember having in years. And certainly the best since I sailed with Chef Joss on SD II several years ago (who I heard is doing well). After the disappointment we suffered at Christmas on SD II (that chef is no longer with SD) we were very concerned but no need – this was spectacular.

A. BREAKFAST.

I am a creature of habit at breakfast – fruit, runny poached eggs, extra crispy bacon, and a piece of wheat toast and I am ready for the day. Occasionally I will trade for minute steak, yoghurt or Eggs Benedict so I did not take advantage of the multiple varieties of pancakes, French toast, or omelets (eggs, egg whites only, EggBeaters) or all the offerings on the buffets. (OK, I admit a chocolate croissant snuck in a couple of days). There is always a daily special - usually some sort of omelet or French toast or waffle or pancakes but you can always get your pick customized, For example when I mentioned I really liked Eggs Benedict, they were offered almost every day even though not on the menu.

What I did try for the first time was the freshly made vegetable juice – you can watch it being made. Fantastic. And the fruit was the best – I commented on it to “our” waiter (we ate at the same table almost every day) and he agreed that the fruit in the Med was much better than the fruit in the Caribbean. Sweet and perfect point of ripeness.

Coffee, juice and pastries are available at 7. Breakfast is usually served from 8 to 10:30. If excursions begin early, breakfast will be moved up. For late sleepers, beware, on those mornings, breakfast always ends early (in our 2 wks, only happened twice – once by 15 minutes in Kusadasi (Ephesus needed an early start due to heat and crowds) and once by half an hour in Split (had our entire party arrived on time, our Speedboat to Hvar would have left on time – more on that in “Shoreside Excursions” later).

I don’t think I had a Grand Mimosa until lunch this voyage (darn medication for knee) but I did see a number of Bloody Marys, Mimosa, and champagne- mostly during week 2. During week 1 we were off the ship as soon as possible to see Croatia.

Part B – lunch to follow.

Lunch.

On our 2010 Athens to Istanbul to Athens b2b we often ate lunch off the ship. This trip we ate on board most days. Lots of waterfront cafes but more appealing for drinks, not so much for the fresh fish we often saw in 2010.

Lunch menus were not available at the end of the voyage like the dinner menus, but there was always a buffet with salads, meats, and cheeses. A couple of times each week the buffet had king crab legs, cut in half. Very good. One suggestion – have enough of the seafood forks for the entire yacht every day ( I don’t know if some people use more than 1, but there often weren’t enough by the end of lunch service). I actually got tired of giant shrimp or prawns by the end of the trip as they were so readily available!

I usually had soup. You wouldn’t think hot soup would be attractive in 90 + Fahrenheit weather, but somehow it was. Carrot and Ginger was my favorite and it was slightly different each week. I’ve never been a fan of chilled fruit soups but they make a great dessert. The salad bar usually had the fixings for a Caesar salad plus one other green salad. There were additionally at least 2-4 other types of salad. An apple and cheese salad was particularly good. There was always a pasta,vegetarian, and fish “lunch” special in addition to a couple of other entrée choices or you can fall back on the hamburger or hot dog. I usually had either a Grand Mimosa or a glass of the Rose of the day.

I am not a fan of fish prepared with any form of batter – the one time I will eat it is on Sea Dream. Somehow it is always light and crispy – not greasy or heavy. Where I live, trout is a specialty of many restaurants – the trout prepared on SD was some of the best I have ever had, anywhere, including a 5 star restaurant in Park City. I regret that I did not try it until the end of the trip. The Four Cheese Pasta was my favorite pasta, the rest were ok to good but not anything special. However, since I don’t like red sauce I skipped all those pastas.

As opposed to the Caribbean, the barbecue is held on the ship, not on the beach. However, the food makes it still the best lunch of the week, especially if you are a carnivore (and we are!). Eat a light breakfast that day because you will want to try everything. It’s the one time of the week when there is fresh cheese bread, prime rib or other quality beef at lunch, pork and lamb to be carved . . . plus corn on the cob and all the typical barbecue foods. The only bad thing is during our first week the barbecue was scheduled on the same day as both the Champagne service (which mean lots of caviar) and one of the Degustation menus . . . another loaded meal.

I tended to skip the desserts at lunch knowing that later in the day there are

Poolside snacks and sometimes passarounds – these varied. You can always find something on a tray poolside and then upstairs on the buffet table, sweets are maintained in the afternoon – ranging from cookies to eclairs to brulee and other assorted goodies.

This trip the pass arounds were not listed on the Daily program so it was hit or miss as to whether we partook . Mostly miss for us. A couple of times it was ice cream or cold, fresh fruit on skewers. Its much easier to schedule overindulgence when SeaDream describes the “Passarounds” on the Daily Program.

But if you miss passaround and can’t wait until canapés at 7, you can always order a cheese plate or club sandwich and fries for poolside or the TOYBAR.

And cocktail hour could be a meal in itself. Some nights the food was very enjoyable – some nights just typical cocktail food. We really liked when the canapés had a local flavor – such as in Kotor when the goodies from our Chef Walk were used. Sweet tomatoes, a variety of olives and local cheeses different from any others on board made a great change. The night the officers are introduced is a caviar night (I love so I am emphasizing). Stone Crab claws make a couple of appearances along with those large shrimp. There is a Mexican night and a sushi night (no sashimi though). Prosecco was too prominent on this voyage for me. I had to request “real” Champagne most of the nights and at the Champagne service (which really surprised me). There was no problem once I did, but that was a surprise. Another interest fact – Delta Airlines and Sea Dream have the same champagne.

This gets us to the heart of the matter – Dinner . . .

we agree with you about Sudesh. He is the best.:D

I've said it before and I'll say it again... CC really does need to add a "Like" option to posts on here --- because, at the risk of sounding redundant, I couldn't agree with you and FT more:

Sudesh = great chef; wonderful person! :D

DINNER (s)

I count down the days to each SD voyage and part of the reason is the anticipation for tasting some of my favorite dishes again, plus knowing that I will be able to try new and exciting entrees. As always, this voyage more than lived up to the anticipation.

I love the menu format, especially during our first week when the front page contained a “People to Know” section listing the name & country of the Owner, President, VP Hotel Operations, Corporate Chef, and Exec Hotel Manager – 5 different peope, 4 different countries, pretty diverse (all males though) Then the “Cuisine & Service Onboard” adds 2 more countries to the mix for the Corporate Chef and Hotel Manager, which with the Captain are the 3 most critical names for MY voyage!

I don’t think I went the full range of courses during one dinner other than degustation this voyage but should you choose there is an Appetizer, Middle Course, Homemade Entermet (Choice of Sorbet or Frozen Yoghut), Pasta, Main, and Dessert Course. A cheese course is available (I missed the homemade cheese bread the first night – just seeing it on the menu now!). Homemade petits fours with Chocolate Truffles are delivered to the table every night.

I only tried a couple of different items, but the “Dream Raw Cuisine” is gaining popularity. There is a full menu every night – “Sea Dream introduces an epic form of vegetarianism called the “raw foods” or “living foods movement” which has become the way of life for many around the world.” The sidebar states “Ingredients are raw, organic, and vegan (no fish, meat, eggs or dairy products) and nothing is heated above 118 Fahrenheit and retains all healthy micronutrients." We heard of one guest who tried the Raw menu while on board, took it home and lost 30 lbs between SD voyages (a period of time, but less than one year). Here’s a sample menu –

Watercress Tang: Juice of Watercress, Pear, Pineapple, Lime

****ake & Pink Grapefruit Ceviche: Pineapple-Avocado Puree and Heirloom-Cherry-Tomato Salsa

Purple Haze: Congord Grapes, Sake, Lemon, Agave Nector

Lapsang Souchong Smoky Portobellos: Caper “Potato Salad”, Wildflower Honey Mustard, Raw Ruby Kraut

Raw Cacao Mudslide Pie with Raspberry Coulee.

Even to this carnivore some nights it sounded pretty good. One evening the “Raw Vegetable Lasagna” made with Spinach Pasta, Spiced Cauliflower Mash, Sundried Tomato Marinara Sauce, and Almond OR Hempseed-Basil Pesto almost had me passing on the Dream Surf and Turf, but I love lobster tail way too much. The Raw Cuisine Menu was also available on every Degustation night.

Each week we also had an “Indian Flare” night – my favorite from that menu was the Tamatar Shorba- Spicy Tomato and Coriander Soup. I won't list every item, unless there is interest.

To be continued . . . .

Enjoying your review even though I've been there and done that! Brings back great memories. In case you haven't noticed there is a new Review of SDI by lanl of a July 2012 cruise that went through the Corinth Canal. They talk about the unruly children on board. You might want to check it out.

Enjoying your review even though I've been there and done that! Brings back great memories. In case you haven't noticed there is a new Review of SDI by lanl of a July 2012 cruise that went through the Corinth Canal. They talk about the unruly children on board. You might want to check it out.

Interesting review. I agree with most of the points. Lack of body wash wasn't an issue. Shampoo does double duty. A chemist will tell you formulas are almost identical. And beverage service during Corinth Canal transit did not extend to our deck. Wholeheartedly agree with comments on children and will elaborate more in later parts of review. Still have it finish cuisine and then bar service . . .

I agree with FT that it is an interesting review. Clearly it has been a while since they have been on board if they remember the old card system to show who is on board the ship. Also as I recall they changed the checkin procedure years ago.

I don't ever remember fruit being available in a standard cabin, but I do agree that the fake plants do resemble chives. As far as the body gel, that is nit picking, and if they wanted more soap all they had to do was ask.

As far as the kids - a picture says a thousand words:

7709851666_482d65c71d.jpg

7709857298_01d061c7ae.jpg

SD has to do something about this. We have already canceled the voyage we booked on board because of among other things the fear of this happening again.

ZQ

SD has to do something about this. We have already canceled the voyage we booked on board because of among other things the fear of this happening again.

ZQ

There is an interesting thread on the Oceania board regarding the same subject. We have sailed Oceania several times, although it has been a few years at this point. There were no children on any of our cruises, and we traveled in the summer. While larger than SD, the Oceania ships (the smaller ones which were originally Renaissance) are also not suited to children, and no programs are offered for them. This current thread talks about the number of children, unruly children with negligent parents, and the cruise line's refusal to deal with the issue. Sound familiar? The posters were talking about perhaps having to look elsewhere for their future cruises.

That is not ok! What are SeaDream thinking??? We will be watching this situation closely and will cancel in a heartbeat if this stuff continues. We can go to Costa Rica a lot of different ways for $10K+.:eek: Lois has already replaced our cancelled Caribbean on SD with a resort in Maui. Lots of choices out there if they insist on going the "family friendly" route over "55 pampered couples".

J.

There is an interesting thread on the Oceania board regarding the same subject. We have sailed Oceania several times, although it has been a few years at this point. There were no children on any of our cruises, and we traveled in the summer. While larger than SD, the Oceania ships (the smaller ones which were originally Renaissance) are also not suited to children, and no programs are offered for them. This current thread talks about the number of children, unruly children with negligent parents, and the cruise line's refusal to deal with the issue. Sound familiar? The posters were talking about perhaps having to look elsewhere for their future cruises.

Apologies to FT for the semi-hijack (we have to do something between installments). Interesting that more of the "not for children" lines are having this issue. After many voyages with Cunard (and even a few with Carnival:eek:) we have had no kiddie issues on the big ships. they have venues for the terrors to use. Have even taken ours.:eek: But then, the big ships have other issues. There must be a solution out there somewhere.

Apologies to FT for the semi-hijack (we have to do something between installments). Interesting that more of the "not for children" lines are having this issue. After many voyages with Cunard (and even a few with Carnival:eek:) we have had no kiddie issues on the big ships. they have venues for the terrors to use. Have even taken ours.:eek: But then, the big ships have other issues. There must be a solution out there somewhere.

No need to apologize Jim. Our first week was as close to perfect as you can get on SD but the 2nd week convinced us to never go during school holidays again. I know of 6 other couples, all repeat SD customers who said the same. If that's the case think about the business SD is losing if these customers follow through. So it becomes a vicious cycle-- the yachts don't fill up and prices are cut so families bring children.

Dinner (continued)

The wines – we always enjoyed the house wines served at dinner. If I didn’t like the particular red wine, Xander was happy to go back to another red served as a house wine that I had enjoyed at an earlier dinner. We did not use the 15% discount coupon provided to each person who is a returning guest – for a b2b, we received 2 coupons (hard to call them that when they are on lovely hard stock paper) each week. Had we used, I would have probably gone with the Pommery Brut Royal for $99 or the Pommery Summertime Blanc de Blanc for $125 (Guess you now know what is always a good hostess or birthday gift to bring to one of my parties;))

NOTE – all spellings are from the menu.

In addition to the Raw Cuisine, there were additional vegetarian selections and gluten free items on the menu. The best vegetarian items included “Homemade Potato Gnocchi” with Tomato Concasse and Creamy Pesto Sauce and Vol au Vent – Mushrooms and Asparagus Ragout filled in Puff Pastry Shell. The Insalata Caprese – the traditional Tomato and Mozzarella di Bufala Salad revisited by the Chef deserves a special mention. The presentation was definitely unique. The tomato was whole and cut to unfold with the cheese in the center of the tomato. No camera at dinner those nights, otherwise there would definitely be a picture here.

I think I didn’t have soup only 1 of the 12 nights I ate dinner (two nights I ate in the cabin) and some nights I had a “sampler” – tastings of two soups. Its hard to choose a favorite among Cream of Broccoli, Cream of Roasted Garlic with Multigrain Croutons, Tamatar Shorba (Spicy Tomato and Coriander), Aubergine and Rosemary; Smooth Lobster Bisque infused with Cognac; Carrot and Ginger Bisque; Cappuccino of Lobster Bisque with Cognac, or Hot and Sour Soup with Egg Drops & Tofu. ZQVOL also enjoyed the Spicy Lentil Soup, French Onion soup, and the Cucumber, and the Tomato-Mint Gazpacho (this last one from the Dream Raw Cuisine menu). With both the Cream of Roasted Garlic soup and the Tamatar Shorba the recipe was varied each week so I definitely had my favorite. Chef told us that with a couple of soups, there were only a couple of cups left at the end of dinner service so I’m not the only one on board who really enjoyed.

We learned that all beef comes from the US and I don’t know who was cooking mine, but every piece was perfect. I typically don’t like beef at night, but the portions were right sized and once the first piece came out truly rare – it became a frequent order if I had an entrée. From Black Pepper Coated Beef Fillet on Anna Potatoes Caramelized Wild Mushrooms and Truffle Infused Demi-glace to the Chateaubriand of Beef with Gaufrette Napoleon Potato, White Aspargus and Sauce Pays d’Auge to the Whole Roast Rib Eye of Beef with Jackson Potato, Glazed Grapes and Marchand de Vin Sauce (I could have used a separate side of the glazed grapes – amazing) to the Filet American – Steak Tartar with Shallot, Gherkin, Capers and Green Beans served with Parmesan Croquette and Herb Mayonnaise to the Turf part of the Dream Surf and Turf (Tournedos of Beef Tenderloin and Half Lobster Tail with Lorette Potatoes, Haricot Beans, Sage Butter and Sauce Bearnaise), all were perfectly prepared.

Lest you think I only ate beef, sometimes an appetizer or the pasta was the entrée and lobster tails made several appearances. Pasta Negra was the perfect appetizer to be made into an entrée – Local Black Squid Ink Pasta and Porcini Mushrooms with Seafood. Garlic, Tomato and Olive Oil.

There were some variations that make you glad you did a b2b. One week we had escargot and another week we had foi gras. But several classics were present each week – Dover Sole, Osso Bucco; Fresh Yellow Fin Tuna Steak and Oven Baked Duck Breast.

And if you like scallops these were two very good weeks to be on SD – scallops were on the canapés during cocktail hour, in salads on the luncheon buffet and as part of the ceviche (Chef made my ceviche with jumbo prawns, yum yum) frutti de Mare (linguini pasta with Seafood and fresh tomato sauce).

If you get tired of all this – there are the standing items available every night – Consomme, Caesar Salad (though I don’t like SD croutons, taste like they come out of a box); Linguini with either Pesto or Chunky Potato sauce; Broiled Filet of Organic Salmon, Chicken Breast or Gilled NY Cut Strip-Loin Steak.

As noted in my daily posts – desserts were to die for. I’ve had an awful time breaking my sweet tooth since I returned. I won’t rehash but if you can’t choose between two – get both, they are that good. But if you have a nut allergy – be sure and ask, I found on some of the chocolate desserts nuts had been added and not disclosed on the menu.

Dining on SD these two weeks did not disappoint. It was wonderful. A number of the pasta dishes just didn’t mesh for me, either at lunch or dinner. Don’t know why but flavors didn’t meld well. Do I wish they would use more local foods, yes. But I understand that you can’t predict what will be available at each port and once you’ve ordered from your supplier those fresh foods must be used after delivery. And most of the selections on the canapés each night were passed by. But there was always something I adored – and that’s why I love dining on SD.

Restaurant and Bar Services-

Restaurant

We are creatures of habit. If “our” table is available we tend to sit in the same place each morning and for lunch. We sat in the same area for dinner every night. As a result the waiters came to know our preferences very quickly. 2nd breakfast my sparkling water and cappuccino started appearing before I could sit down (I don’t know how they do it, but if I stopped along the way to talk to someone, it truly arrived with me at the table). I made a game of trying to carry my plate from the buffet to the table (we tried to eat on Deck 6, around the TOY Bar somewhere) without someone taking it from me – and in 11 breakfasts (I skipped a few) and 8 or so lunches (off the ship and can’t count boarding and disembarking) I made it one time and that was only because a 3 yr old almost took 2 waiters with full plates out by dashing between them on the stairs.

Service was almost always with a smile, even when overwhelmed and here’s where I get to the “tale of two vacations”. In our dinner section the first week, we had a waiter and a backwait (helped with water/bread/delivery and take away of plates). Xander (the head bartender poured wine but also did a little bit of everything). The maître d also worked very hard in our section most of every night of week 1. Everything went smoothly even though we were very bad and usually had 3 courses plus dessert (thank goodness we were walking a lot!). The next week we had the same amount of or even more people some nights in the section and a different waiter (very good, but not as experienced) but until I complained, no maître d or additional support. We also had a couple of 6 or 7 tops in the section. And even after I said something, after the first night the maître d was around when the captain was in our section but not on other nights. Take away 25% of the service and that’s a big difference. We cut back to 2 courses (should have been doing anyway) and left cocktail hour a few minutes early to avoid the rush. Is this enough to take away a star in a rating – no, but when you have had a week of perfection, you really notice the difference.

Our “normal” breakfast & lunch waiter Nikola is from Croatia and he was excellent. I really noticed the difference when I had someone else. I went to lunch by myself very late one day and sat at a different table. I had picked up a ready made salad at the buffet but only had a few bites and put it aside. When the waiter took away the plate he asked “what was wrong” and I said the salad was very good, it just had too much dressing. He looked like he wanted to say something and then took the plate away. Nikola would have brought another salad with the dressing on the side. He just read my mind. He’s only on his 2nd contract with SD- I hope he stays longer.

In summary – the restaurant services are excellent. Our “dedicated” servers and support team would all individually get 9 or 10s. Staffing decisions were not as good during week 2 and that shows up in both weeks 1 and 2 in

Bar Services

I’ll state up front – this trip I never once made it to the TOY Bar or the Piano Bar during my 2 weeks. I know its sad, but work and other issues kept me from late nights (the good news –no hangover). So this review is biased towards bar service at meals and poolside (again very little the 2nd week, due to children on board) and on the Bali beds.

My standard for comparison is Zoltan the head bartender on SD II, where I never had an empty glass, rarely went to the bar to place an order when on the Bali bed if I wanted something different, got “squirted” with water both poolside and upstairs at least once every day and usually every hour on really hot days and had my sunglasses cleaned almost every day. On this trip, no squirts and glasses cleaned one time.

Beverage service was good. At dinner, my wine glass was absolutely never empty and rarely close to half empty. I really appreciated Xander’s willingness to find a substitute wine when I didn’t like the house wine at dinner. What I had difficulty with and this is not an individual bartender issue but a management issue is Prosecco being circulated at times when you thought champagne would be served (such as the first “Caviar and Champagne” service or Bellinis made with Prosecco) I also wonder if staffing is why there was very little glass cleaning service (only time was when I was in the shade on Deck 4 – never on the Bali beds). However the “critical” needs were almost always met – prompt beverage service and decks were never dirty with empty glasses needing removal.

Almost every afternoon around 5 pm there was a signature cocktail service at the ToyBar. In Venice, it was a Lemoncello Sail Away Party, Bellinis ( made with Prosecco and not champagne, a number went unfinished) in Rab and Dubrovnik, White Sangria Sail Away in Split, Greek cocktails while going through the Corinth Canal, Kir Royale Sail Away from Patmos, and Sundowners the remaining nights. My only suggestion would be to not always use Sundowners as the fallback drink, but the concept is fun and a way to get you out of your cabin. Service for the Corinth Canal party was rough at the beginning, caused by location and timing. Just about all the guests were crammed into the front half of deck 6 and everyone arrived right at entrance to the Canal. I was at the back of the yacht – that view was amazing- on Deck 4 and went up to get my own drink. I only had one of the Greek cocktails, ouzo with an unnamed ingredient (Gideon and Sylvio would not give away the recipe) but I didn’t want to miss any of the canal so I didn’t go back for more. However, just think almost 90 people crammed at TOY and where the large Bali bed normally is and wanting drinks with that small bar.

Summary – Basic Bar Service was good. That’s it. Nothing spectacular but no complaints.

FT, in a word, YUM. Thanks for such detailed reporting. I hang on your every word.

Z--great pics. Loved, loved, loved seeing them. As a mom and grandmother, I also appreciated you blocking the kids' faces. The right thing to do. I am always amazed at how people post pics constantly of strangers, let alone kids, without their permission.

I prefer Sweet Bay subs over Publix when in FL, Jim. I might be a step above. . .I'm in the middle of eating a Thai pasta salad from Fresh Market. Regardless, neither of us are close to what FT has been describing. ;)

Archived