SD I -July 14, Venice to Athens

frequent traveler

FT, with all of the discussion about childish behavior on board this week I'm surprised not to have heard anything regarding our mutual friends who I understood were to be on board this week. What gives?

Perhaps FT is being sensitive to the fact that I am quite good friends with the individuals that you are asking about.

Perhaps FT is being sensitive to the fact that I am quite good friends with the individuals that you are asking about.

Seriously, everyone is getting along quite amicably this week . Only issues relate to unsupervised children interfering with others and the mother of one who tried to save 8 poolside loungers while she was elsewhere for 3 hrs. At least as far as I know. It's been pretty tame:rolleyes:

FT

I think ZQVOL has gone for his shave and Turkish bath after getting recommendations from crew. Two good tips. Be sure to wear sandals and take just enough money to pay for services. No other cash, cc or valuables.

Slept really well and really late. Made it up in time for fruit and cappuccino and scooted into office after one group of Brits vacated. We are parked next to the "new" Amsterdam" only 2800 or so guests and the berth next to us is open.

Towel animal waiting for us last night was absolutely adoreable . Can't wait to see the picture.

Dinner last night started with octopus salad. On spinach with slivers of grapefruit. Sooo good- could have been my entree. Tradiionally white bean soup was made with black eyed peas but ZQVOL said it was delicious. I think I had a Spanish red. My nights are melding together -Xander knows what I prefer and it appears. And it's not because we are repeat guests . Every table in our section is treated the same.

I had a chunky spicy prawn soup. Very good broth. We struggled with choice of entrees figuring 1 of each was just too much. Top choices were spanikopita and moussaka.

Two disclaimers- please forgive my spelling and grammar throughout this thread. Between fat fingers, Apple's automatic changes, and different languages, I've offended myself so I can only imagine how bad it is for a reader. So sorry, especially when I mangle someone's name.

Next, when it comes to Greek cooking my husband is used to his grandmother's and other styles which are not suitable for the yacht- way too much garlic, feta, and butter! So we enjoyed the spanikopita but it was too darned healthy. Light and airy, fresh spinach. The tziki sauce was made from yoghurt (the right way). Moussaka had the right amount of cinnamon. ZQVOL was in heaven over the dessert - to say it tasted like his grandmother's is the greatest compliment he can give on Greek cooking (I rarely get there)

Thankfully I did not discover until last night that the chocolate ice cream has chunks of chocolate in it.

We missed the disco again. Time difference means mid day work e mail gets addressed after dinner.

Watched the crew drill on the ship next door. Appeared to consist of an assembly and lecture. At least for large part of the crew. I contrast that with the SD drills that seem much more thorough. I'd rather be on SD during an emergency than one of those monsters.

Off to my Bali bed

FT

Docked in Kusadasi Turkey, near Ephesus. No tour for us since we were here two years ago. I went into town to the Turkish bath, (Hamami). Incredible. First you lay on a heated marble slab for about 20 minutes (I didn't know that I could sweat that much), then you are taken to another room where you are scrubbed with a loufa all over then after a quick rinse you are washed with incredible soapy water. This is followed by an oil massage. Grand total 25 Euro!

Wonderful!

Nap time!

Really quiet afternoon in the office on the starboard side . Umbrella on Bali bed just wasn't cutting it. Pool is really quiet , seems to be adults only. Was closed this am to balance ph so maybe families went elsewhere. Anyway first afternoon this week it's been the lazy SD vibe and I'm loving it.

FT

As an aside, in spite of all the children the voyage has been very nice albeit very hot, and we plan on leaving with another voyage booked for when I am off in the spring.

Which one are you guys booking?

Which one are you guys booking?

SDI March 3 - San Juan RT

Now to the good things. Visited a Turkish barber this afternoon for a shave and haircut. Amazing from the straight razor shave, to the ear and nose waxing, shampoo and trim. All very nice. A group of guys from the HAL ship next to us was their with their wives and they had a great time taking pictures.

Gentlemen, in Istanbul or Kusadasi this and the Turkish baths are must do activities next time you get the chance.

FLASH FROM SEADREAM 1

Couldnt figure out why we were booking it away so fast . . . Now have come to complete stop. Marina is being lowered for sunset swim. How cool is that?

FT

Only on SD:D Can't wait to see the photos and hear all about it!

No photos and nothing to report. Only lasted about 15 minutes, and we are not far off the coast of Samos.

Still sounds like a cool thing to do.:D

I agree Jim! Not many of us can say that we have had a sunset swim off the Greek Isles:cool:

I am in the Library for something other than the Returning Guests party. Have to say the furniture is not conducive to curling up with a book or your I pad. A suggestion for the next dry dock

And, cant remember who mentioned it, but SD I does have the short bar on the wall of the shower that is good for hanging a wet bathing suit.

Several other ships in Santorini today. I am fighting off a 24 hr bug- unfortunately not a hangover, at least there is a cure or 2 for that, so I am on board for now, glad we have been here before. Would hate to miss but have great views of masses waiting for cable car to top!

FT

I realize I forgot to mention dinner again. Went back to an old favorite-steak tartare for an appetizer. Then had a version of the pasta I love- I will mangle the spelling but it's the wide egg noodles. We had a really early night and Nikola was concerned that we finished before the dessert extravaganza was set up. He offered to bring dessert to our table anyway but we declined. As you will see from the pictures- there were plenty of choices and chocolate covered marshmallows were waiting in my cabin.

We witnessed another example of SD bending over backwards for a guest. The table of 2 behind us liked the Greek spinach pie from the night before so much they wanted it again. Having made this dish, working with phyllo is a bear (not the "b" word I would normally use but I know Host Dan woul edit!). Chef advised the guest that this would take a while - not 15 minutes between courses, but the guest was insistent on having spanikopita, even if took an hour ( which in my kitchen it does- and we wont talk about the no of pots and the mess!) And the guest got freshly made spanikopita. All while the normal service occurred and a last minute private cocktail party request by a guest honored (at least what we overheard from the guest made it seem last minute)

I did not stay on poolside for dessert - heat just catches up by the end of the day but a plate was sent to the cabin. Chef Garfield's pastries are such works of art- they belong in the Louvre. Normally if it's not chocolate it doesn't catch my interest but don't pass on his lemon meringue or any meringue for that matter. I would kill to make meringues that light.

Dessert killed all advantages of only eating 2 courses !

Have to start packing.

FT

I am fighting off a 24 hr bug- unfortunately not a hangover, at least there is a cure or 2 for that, so I am on board for now, glad we have been here before. Would hate to miss but have great views of masses waiting for cable car to top!

FT

Sorry to hear that you're not feeling well. Even more sorry that we won't be getting a first hand report from you about a donkey ride up the hill in Santorini....

Archived