SD I -July 14, Venice to Athens

frequent traveler

Did you bring your laptop? Might be worth writing in Word and then cutting and pasting here. Just saying ....

Did I bring my laptop? out of the office for 2.5 weeks - what do you think?

2nd try at this – taking an afternoon break (same strategy as Disney World, beat the heat and the crowds) by enjoying cocktails (expensive ones, but different). Mine was a Nardini Spritz – Prosecco, Nardini, Orange & Lime. Two drinks at the hotel – 30 Euro. :eek:

We rode the No. 1 water bus this morning to the end of the line both ways – Lido then back through the Grand Canal to the bus station. So the “bus pass” was definitely worth the cost. If you get the bus pass and/public lavatory cards – pick them up at the airport. The lavatory cards can only be picked up at the bus station (maybe train) – not at regular ticket booths. The public lavatories are sparkling clean – the quality of tp at both our luxury hotel and the public wc are the same (think sandpaper), perhaps it’s a Venice requirement. Bottled water at the bus station was the cheapest we’ve seen in Venice – 2 Euro for 1.5 liters. Closer to the hotel its 2 Euros for ½ liter.

Of course to get to the water bus, we had to dodge the salesmen trying to corral us into “free” glass blowing tours (sound familiar CDreamer?). Reminded me of Time Share hawkers in Cancun.

Took a separate non-stop water bus back to the Rialto Bridge, explored the Rialto area a bit and wandered back to the San Marco pier ultimately. Thought we were crossing a canal but ended up in the exit area of a museum or gallery. Don’t know which one as the docent guarding the entrance did not speak English, but it had a beautiful life size green tinged glass statute of a rearing stallion.

Lunch was a waterside café near our hotel – more pizza and caprese salad (love those tomatoes). Including another Venice spritzer, a local beer (medium size), and 2 scoops of lemon gelato – 36 Euro. (I can see the gelato would be dangerous if we were here longer).

Turns out the place we picked on the Square yesterday - Eden’s Caffé is one of the places recommended by Rick Steves. Today, it took me 3 tries to find an ATM that (1) allowed me to select instructions in English and (2) accepted a 4 digit PIN. So be prepared. Cash is definitely preferred here.

More sidewalk artists out today. Also saw the “real” fake Gucci, Hermes and other vendors – most were close to the Square, but we stayed a street away. We will head back later this pm.

Who knows tomorrow morning we might actually make it into a historic building. All I know is I am not waiting in line 2 hrs to see anything. I think we have gone by every museum – from the Peggy Guggenheim to the Museum of Modern Arts to the Museum of Natural History. If you can visit in a shoulder season – do it. Crowds are overwhelming right now and coupled with the heat, you just can’t see all Venice has to offer.

Going to try to make Harry's this pm - another overpriced drink, but have to say I've been there.

FT

I'm really enjoying your reporting, FT! We're hoping to do Istanbul-Venice next June, so I'm taking notes! Did you bring Euros with you or are you getting them from an ATM? I need Euros in October but last time I got them before I left, there was quite a hefty surcharge.

ZQVOL's pictures are great! I couldn't get in yesterday but today was fine. The chandelier in the hotel lobby reminds me of the ones at Catherine D'Medici restaurant at the CIA in Hyde Park. I couldn't get a decent picture of those, so really enjoy yours.

Keep up the great work -- you know we are all living vicariously through you :D

Vandrefalk

Did you bring Euros with you or are you getting them from an ATM? I need Euros in October but last time I got them before I left, there was quite a hefty surcharge.

Keep up the great work -- you know we are all living vicariously through you :D

Vandrefalk

Thanks. More to follow , had a wonderful dinner but calling it an early night

I never pay those awful surcharges. Refuse to do. One of us always gets local currency at an airport ATM after we arrive. If you check the airport web site you can find location before you leave home. Usually after you leave the baggage claim area.

Fresh fish tonight including flounder with the bones removed table side. Amazing polenta . . . And a house white .. .

FT

Back at the hotel just waiting for a couple of hours to pass so we can leave the zoo that is Venice on a Saturday in the summer and head for SD. Ships tours are out in mass. Beware groups wearing headphones and looking at maps while walking - can cause physical injuries.

We got an early start - 8:15 or so, when nothing is open except a few coffee shops and no tourists are out. By 8:45 the Square was starting to fill with early arrivals from the ships and by 9:45 when the Basilica opened, the line to get in was already a 2 hr wait. So we skipped the historical sites this trip. Had a lovely breakfast for 23 Euro one block back from the Square. Nicely air conditioned and like a lot of the sandwich bars, had a few tables at the back. Was advertising an Italian abby beer. Just a bit too early for even me to try one. The shops started opening at 9 but there were staggered openings. A few still weren't opened at 10 (maybe closed for the weekend?) After having scouted out glassware and all the other goodies over the past couple of days, we started spending Euros (have to love the exchange rate right now - best its been in years). There can be a huge difference in price for the same items, it does pay to shop around and we were surprised, some shops right on the Square had better prices than those a couple of blocks off. Of course we had to have a last taste of Gelato.

Back to last night, we wandered a few streets back from the hotel - to an area where we noticed a number of Venetians in business attire walking, we assumed commuting home. We passed a small restaurant that did not advertise pizza (not did it have pictures!) - but did have a number of fish items, so we stopped there. Based on the waiter's recommendations, we ordered the special of the day, flounder - even though its not my favorite. I am so glad we did. The presentation was simple but enjoyable. Brought intact tableside, the chef then deboned, deskinned and plated tableside. People stopped on the street to watch. Accompanied by polenta and absolutely delicious. I normally don't drink white wine - but house white was very good. A risotto dish on the menu warned that it would take 30 minutes to prepare. Our pasta first course took a while also - so I think everything was absolutely made to order. All in dinner, including service charge, wine, and pre dinner beer and spritz - also remember here there is a "bread" charge - if you don't want, tell them, was $150 USD (already hit credit card).

After dinner, we wandered back to St. Mark's to listen to music - while it was very pleasant, don't think I would do it again. Cover charge was 6 Euro per person and my Venetian spritz was 12 Euro, Philip's wine was 8.50 Euro and Gelato was 4 Euro per scoop (lemon had actual chunks of lemon in it). Music from different bars was very good. Could only hear the one at our bar very well. The rest were faint and there was quite a bit of overlap. I couldn't believe the number of people trying to hand feed pidgeons- they were having to dodge water as the tide was in and there was quite a bit of standing water.

It stays hot here late and sun fully fades around 9:30 - I brought my REI bought mosquito bracelets and put one on as soon as the insects started circling. It worked again - no bites and no pestering gnats or critters. The Square has its pushy vendors at night - one guy peddling roses, we watched a couple of people who thought he was giving them away be upset or taken aback at having to buy them. The other is "glow in the dark" sticks or toys - you may have to say no twice, especially if you are female - but giving them a stern look as you say no seems to work the first time. being a polite southerner just doesn't work (and you get run over by the tour groups).

Looking back on these postings for Venice - I don't think I've ever posted as much about the price of things - I'm not complaining at all, Venice is an island and everything has to be shipped in (many of the workers also commute!). However if you are planning on visiting, just be prepared if you are visiting the "touristy" places.

FT

Hi FT.

Great posts. Takes us back almost like being there.:D Speaking of pricing, there is a great little obscure book called "A Thousand Days in Venice". Detailing the life of an ex pat living in Venice. They go into some detail about the pricing of food and services. One price for Venetians, another for other Italians, and then----Tourist Pricing!:eek::eek: We always mentally compute how much we are overpaying in Venice. But then, we keep going back. What is that saying about doing the same thing over and over?? :D You are probably on board by now so relax and keep up the good posting.

J & L

If you want to visit a quality glass blowing workshop and see the production of some incredibly beautiful glass, check out Massimiliano Schiavon's factory at: Fondamenta Vetrai 26, 30141, Murano.

Or you can go to Massimiliano Schiavon's website (which I'm not sure is OK to post on here :eek:): just type in http://www.hisnameabove dot com and choose the english language option.

CDreamer, I think we must have the same taste. I am sitting here looking at one of Massimiliano's glass sculptures which we purchased when in Murano a couple of years ago. His factory also sells the most beautiful drinking glasses which he produces for one of the nicer hotels - I think it might even be the Danieli - FT, are there beautiful water glasses in the dining room? It's really fun when he takes you in back to the workshop. When we see glass blowing demonstrations in Seattle, the artists are covered with protective clothing. In Murano, they're wearing T shirts and half the time have no gloves on - I don't know how they do it!

Thanks for the detailed report FT! DJ's DH and I had dinner with Susie last night and she and I were lamenting about how fabulous it must be to see Venice as neither of us have been ... yet!

By now you must be safe and sound in the embrace of your SD family! Please give my love to all!

CDreamer, I think we must have the same taste. I am sitting here looking at one of Massimiliano's glass sculptures which we purchased when in Murano a couple of years ago.

Zimmy, we bought a piece from Massimiliano too! No pressure whatsoever from him - had gone to the studio to watch him make glass and fell in love with one of the pieces that he had just made. Massimiliano was interesting to talk with and his passion for his craft really came through. The piece we bought is so unique and his glass is some of the nicest we've seen.

Zimmy, we bought a piece from Massimiliano too! No pressure whatsoever from him - had gone to the studio to watch him make glass and fell in love with one of the pieces that he had just made. Massimiliano was interesting to talk with and his passion for his craft really came through. The piece we bought is so unique and his glass is some of the nicest we've seen.

CDreamer, I guess we'll have a lot to talk about when we're on Seadream in Costa Rica next year.

Fresh fish tonight including flounder with the bones removed table side. Amazing polenta . . . And a house white .. .

FT

OK, you're killing me with this one, FT! Nothing better than fresh fish deboned at your table in Italy! :D

I'm a huge fan of Italy, but not of Venice - for the very reasons you mentioned in your next post: overrun with tourists (esp with the mega cruise ships coming in/out of there), overpriced, average restaurants (unless you get off the beaten path like you did here and find those hidden gems). BUT.. if you've never been there, it is worth going at least once because it is a one of a kind place.

Like what you did and what Jim and I both said, if you can get away from the masses Venice has its own special charm. It's there - you just have to look for it. ;)

Thanks so much for the updates and pics, FT and zqvol... it's fun tagging along with you!

The first (and last) time I went to Venice, I was in my mid 20s and broke. I was with a couple of friends and we ended up staying at a hostel in a convent that locked us out all day! It was very cheap, but I remember my friends wanting to eat at McDonald's because Venice was so expensive. I want to go there for a night with my husband so he can see it, since he's never been. It's a very neat city, but really overrun with tourists. I'm looking forward to looking around and finding some less touristy spots. And I want to ride in a gondola, just to say I've done it!

:p

The first time we went to Venice we stayed right by St Marks square; for whatever reason that was very important to me. My friend and I loved it, but our husbands hated it! There were massive crowds and everything was uber expensive. The men said that this wasn't a city; this was Disneyland.

The next time we went to Venice, we stayed at the Hilton, which is off by itself on an island. We went to St Marks square only once, to shop a little, but the rest of our time was spent away from the crowds. The hotel was better, the restaurants were much better - everything was better. That time we both loved it! It remains one of my favorite cities.

The first time we went to Venice we stayed right by St Marks square; for whatever reason that was very important to me. My friend and I loved it, but our husbands hated it! There were massive crowds and everything was uber expensive. The men said that this wasn't a city; this was Disneyland.

The next time we went to Venice, we stayed at the Hilton, which is off by itself on an island. We went to St Marks square only once, to shop a little, but the rest of our time was spent away from the crowds. The hotel was better, the restaurants were much better - everything was better. That time we both loved it! It remains one of my favorite cities.

Too funny about the men's comment about it looking like Disneyland. When I showed DJ's DH zqvol's photo he said "Wow, it looks just like Italy at EPCOT (in Walt Disney World)!"

Have never been to Venice ... it is definitely on my leap/bucket list. Now that DJ's DH knows that we will have point options with SPG and Hilton we might be one step closer to the Med next year:eek:

Anchored off the coast of Opatija Croatia. went into town this morning. Very quaint village. Not a lot here but it is supposed to be a big resort area for Europeans.

We sailed last night from Venice. Very windy. Captain had to get the help of a tug to get us off the pier, that is the first time that has happened to me on SD. We could not sail past St. Marks Square due to a festival and a temporary bridge so we took the long way around by the industrial area.

This was my first time to Venice and I was not at all left with any type of favorable impression. For all of you that are excited about it, you can have it IMO, doubt that I would ever go back unless boarding a cruise from there. Overcrowded, smelly, dirty, I can go on and on but that is enough.

We had a bouncy ride for a few hours last night but it settled down around midnight and it has been smooth ever since. It is windy and cool today with rain blowing through.

Had a great lunch of Black mussels, in wine sauce. Now for a nap.

Anchored off the coast of Opatija Croatia. went into town this morning. Very quaint village. Not a lot here but it is supposed to be a big resort area for Europeans.

We sailed last night from Venice. Very windy. Captain had to get the help of a tug to get us off the pier, that is the first time that has happened to me on SD. We could not sail past St. Marks Square due to a festival and a temporary bridge so we took the long way around by the industrial area.

This was my first time to Venice and I was not at all left with any type of favorable impression. For all of you that are excited about it, you can have it IMO, doubt that I would ever go back unless boarding a cruise from there. Overcrowded, smelly, dirty, I can go on and on but that is enough.

We had a bouncy ride for a few hours last night but it settled down around midnight and it has been smooth ever since. It is windy and cool today with rain blowing through.

Had a great lunch of Black mussels, in wine sauce. Now for a nap.

Thanks for the report zqvol. Glad to hear that you and FT had your traditional first day lunch of mussels:D

Too bad about not being able to sail past St. Mark's square.

Interesting about Venice ... I suspect that the start of high season for European vacationers contributed to the crowding.

Looking forward to your photos and reports from Croatia!

ZQVOL,

Thanks for the post. What you said is why we go in early May or October time frames. Water is cleaner (and not smelly) and the crowds are less. Not to mention it is usually sunny and much cooler. I understand your time constraints though. Hey, you are on SD now so it is all good from here, right?:D

Just finishing 1st 24 hrs on SD I.

Non motorized water toys are out here in Opatija, but it’s a bit cloudy so I’m not sure I’m going to take the afternoon swim. Wind is up so kayaking may be a bit difficult one way – and with my luck I’d have difficulty getting back to the ship. Ocean temp is 23 Celcius so now I know I am passing on the swim.

Back to the beginning – water taxi from the hotel to the port was quick and easy – definitely recommend. Sail away was not the scenic route due to festival and temporary pedestrian bridge. So we went the long way out – via the multiple refineries and then take a left, added quite a bit of time.

Boarding the yacht was smooth – there was a bit of a scare as we were waiting as there were at least 30 children under 10 in the waiting area, then we realized a ferry was also boarding.

We are 92 on board with 94 crew.There are probably 4 or 5 families – I think I’ved counted maybe 6 under the age of 12 with only two younger than 10. Several with teens. All well behaved – however, we have one very rude group of adults who keep talking – loudly- when the CAD was trying to give information at the cocktail hour. If looks could kill, they would be dead – at least ten other guests were irritated beyond belief.

One recommendation – if you can book excursions in advance – do so for the Split Rivieria by Speedboat. It was full before we boarded and we are on the waitlist. Half the ship wants to go. Hopefully they will be able to arrange extra boats with this much notice.

Check in went very smoothly, we weren’t the first to board but didn’t even have time to drink my glass of champagne. Made my first couple of spa appointments. House Champagne is Jacquart Brut Mosaique. Set up with caviar and standard SD appetizers in lounge.

Sail a way drink at TOY was limoncello.

I missed (my head thanks me today) due to my first spa appointment (the “Spa Pedicure with Shellac”) which took longer than I expected but was very well worth the time and cost. Spa Manager recommended it in place of the more expensive combination Perfect Legs and Shellac Pedicure I was originally going to book. And when somehow I managed to damage the polish, it was fixed today (with an apology – even though I caused the damage!).

Rutzie is our cabin stewardess and such a sweetie. She made sure we had a delicious cheese plate last night – and the cheeses were some of the best, I love being in Europe. When clueless me had difficulty with the bottle opener the big bottles of Pellegrino were immediately replaced with twist top bottles.

Dinner was absolutely delicious. My goal of sticking to 2 courses went out the window – or overboard quickly. Does it really count as a course if the parma ham was only one slice with slivers of fresh melon. ZQ Vol’s gnocchi was beautiful and he enjoyed. I had the cream of broccoli soup (sans the almonds) and ZQ Vol had the spicy lentil. We each had the beef entrée – I can’t remember the cut right now, will post when we get the first week’s menus – but it was the most tender and cooked perfectly (I like mine still walking). The potato and spinach sides were excellent. Dessert was the Grand Marnier soufflé. ZQ Vol had the coconut rice pudding. And the petit fours – I should have skipped everything else and just had – I’ve got to find the pastry chef, wonderful. Creamy and smooth. Rich – the chocolate melted in my mouth. Service was excellent, seamless and smooth. Hard to believe since it was hectic – a lot of tables, at least in our area were 6 people and got seated all at the same time. We each chose the house selection of red – a French Malbec. Very good and when I teased Xander about expecting a Malbec to be from Argentina or Chile he explained the history of the Malbec.

I’m going to hold off on naming most staff for now, as those are new faces and names and I want to make sure I get the spelling right – however, as usual, ALL we have encountered are smiling, friendly and bend over backwards to make your trip special. There are a number of 1st time SDers and even some first time cruisers (we met two from Australia) and it’s a real treat to watch them enjoy the SD experience.

Had a very leisurely breakfast this morning. Eggs benedict were not on the menu but of course our waiter, Nikola offered them to me. (I remember his name because he’s Croatian and we chatted as breakfast cleared out). If you haven’t heard, Ines has been promoted to Maitre’d.

But for the spitting rain and the lure of 1st day mussels to bring me back on board, I’d probably still be wandering the streets of Opatija. I love the old “resort” feel. Can’t wait for ZQ Vol to post the pictures. While the beaches in the city aren’t much, the views from the balconies have to be great and its so laid back. Be prepared though – it’s the Speedo capital of the world. Age and body type are not limiting factors.

Got to ride the Zodiac back since the tender was full. Loved that – hate the closed tender. Wish we could do that every day.

Here’s my only complaint – at $35.00 per day I ought to be able to use the wireless Internet on both my laptop and my I pad, but I can’t – my office blocks my personal e-mail from my laptop so I can’t check since SD assigned password only works on one device. I know I’m preaching to the choir to my fellow CC posters, but at some point in time, this is going to be the tipping point for us. Don’t know when, but luckily ZQ Vol doesn’t have to work this time – if we both had to work, this would be ridiculous – paying for each device.

Tonight cocktails and dinner are outside – looking forward to that. Tried to have some restraint at lunch. Started with the mussels – then had soup (and of course, now I can’t remember what kind – it was green – will remember to ask, guess the Grand Mimosa threw me off) and finished with egg salad with mustard and crab claws from the buffet.

Hope you are having fun. I know I am. Crackberry works – but only junk mail!

More later

FT

Ugh, you're right - that's not a very scenic area! :eek: We sailed out of Venice last year on L'Austral, and I must say that departure sail past St Marks is really quite spectacular. I'm sorry you were only able to see the 'raw' side of Venice as you sailed out.

Agree with Jim that shoulder seasons tend to be a little less crowded, not as humid, and more "odor free" - but you travel when time allows. As I mentioned earlier, I'm not a huge fan of Venice either...but I think it is just one of those places you either click with or not. One thing is for sure - it is definitely unique!

Hope your weather improves soon. Will be looking forward to the next reports from you two!

Thanks for the thorough report FT ... even though the Grand Mimosa threw you off a bit;)

Enes had let me know last week that he had been promoted ... I am sure he will be outstanding as maitre'd ... Love that SD has once again promoted from within. Looks like Enes is following in Peter's footsteps! I congratulated him via FB but please give him a congratulatory hug from me!

Looking forward to zqvol's photos!

Thanks again FT for a great post. Looking forward to the ones to come. I agree about SeaDream and internet. This day and age, most of us need to "tend to business" even on a holiday. That is one way we can actually go on holiday.:eek: This past January on Queen Victoria, not anywhere near as "inclusive" and special as SeaDream, we were given 12 hours of wifi internet connectivity which worked most anywhere on the ship and worked on all our devices.:eek::eek: It should be much easier to provide coverage on SD than on the 90,000 ton Queen Vic. Just saying, it is a rare cheap moment by SeaDream that could easily be a perk for past passengers. Keep up the good work.

J & L

Well, we are skipping Salsa & Samba Evening at TOY, would be just too much excitement for the end of the night. :rolleyes:

Dinner was another wonderful event, with too many choices. Tonight started with Officer's introduction - lots of caviar . . . yum, yum with our new friends from Australia & Germany. Good to see the Chief Officer, formerly with SD II, Michael, aka Mickey who has been with I about a month.

Dinner was moved inside due to wind but cocktails were outside. Crew poured "real" champagne instead of Prosecco upon request. Not a fan of Prosecco except as a mixer in spritzes.

Where do I start for dinner - oysters on the half shell and escargo offered as an appetizer. soups were gazpacho from the "raw menu" which is fairly popular, cream of garlic, and spicy Thai . .. so glad I have another week to sample what I skipped tonight. :D

Lobster tail for the entree and the lovely chocolate fondant for dessert. But I was good - skipping bread :). Good company arranged by Daniel, our CAD and a lovely, energizing couple from NY and MIami - ecletic activities and interests and former boat owners now sailing on SD for the 1st time. Looks like Doramus is settling is as our head server at dinner. He's smooth and got a wicketly sly sense of humor. Hope we don't scare him off.

A bit of a disruption this pm when 4 of under 10s, unsupervised by the parents were running at the TOY bar - the CAD quickly corralled and put them behind closed doors with a WI where they have remained for hours!!!! Tonight's afternoon drink at the TOY bar was a Bellini Party, but I skipped on that as Xander made a very good version of the Caprihiana (low sugar). While I miss Zoltan, MIchael and Chad on II, these bartenders are just as creative.

Sailing to Rab shortly, going to book another voyage tomorrow (unfortunately will be cancelling Thanksgiving due to logistics of retuning from SXM on Sunday) and ZQVOL has a massage.

I may take advantage of the $119 spa special -60 minutes for any 3 of the following: mini facial; scalp massage; back, neck shoulder massage, thai back massage; leg, foot and ankle masssage; mini reflexology; polish change for hands or feet.

A great weekend - though ZQ Vol is disappointed that Jeff Gordon did not win the race. me, no fires from office yet, so I'm happy. And can't wait to explore a new location.

one difference in rooms on SD I from SD II. The bathroom shower door is a tri-fold. No need to use a form at the top to hold the door closed. No leaks. So my question is, why can't SD II have the same bathroom door? Also, on SD 1, the crane doesn't blook the corner of the back of Deck 4- so its better for a table for eating outside, and the tender is not hanging down blocking the view for a table there. CTBJR- what is the reason? enquiring minds want to know :)

Have a great end of the weekend. Monday is almost here but I will still be on SD! Aren't I the lucky one?:D

FT

Ooooooh, FT & ZQ Vol, I've been traveling and away from the internet, so I'm glad I just caught up with you so I can stalk you and live vicariously. Please don't disappoint as you take us along for the ride, 'cause I have no upcoming trips planned. You're it! Do us poor left behinds proud!

Love Venice, but I've only been there in the shoulder season. I prefer the shoulder season for all touristy places when possible. We totally loved Venice. Our favorite part? Just walking and getting lost. Magnificent place.

And now on to your adventure. Please keep us drooling. . .about everything.

And of course, be safe. . .always.

looking forward to Rab and its medieval walls. 13th Century palace . . . a park and monastery ruins. Couple with a glorious sunny day, fairly calm days and all water toys this pm, another great holiday. More new friends from Miami/New York last night - used to have their own 100 ft bt with a crew of 4 but now SD is "their" yacht. Gave a 41 ft a try, but still didn't use enough.

have a great day.

FT

Drink of the afternoon is Bellini. When Chef Sudesh stopped by our table this morning I learned that steak tartare is on the menu tonight. Another effort for all to dine out tonight. The past couple of days the Asst Cad has led a bike ride. Always "sold out" depending on the port, private tours are also being arranged. SD has added a number of new ports this season so it's taking time to learn the area.

Rab has a beautiful park. We saw people snorkeling and kayaking. Takes about about an hour to walk the entire diameter of the walled city, not including the tower. A few quaint shops. Nickola advises that honey schnapps is the local item to buy. A number of combo coffee shops/night clubs by the marina.

Sea Dream "fashion show" is in the middle of cocktail hour.been there,done that so I think I will be fashionably late to let the effects of my 90 minute "Thai Aromatic" massage linger.

FT

Archived