Crossing the International Date Line

eratog2

Next year I have a special birthday, so am already looking at celebrating it in the best way possible - by going on a cruise. I have always wanted to sail through the Panama Canal, and have found a cruise that does this. It's a segment of the Queen Elizabeth World cruise 2013 which sails from Fort Lauderdale, around the Caribbean, through the Panama Canal and eventually ends up in Auckland - 31 days of bliss! I have noticed that on my birthday (16th February), the ship crosses the international date line - has anybody done this? What actually happens? Would it be a memorable occasion for a memorable birthday?

I really would like to hear from people who have done this to help me come to my decision as to whether to do this cruise or look at another line - - - - which I really don't want to do.

:)

Next year I have a special birthday, so am already looking at celebrating it in the best way possible - by going on a cruise. I have always wanted to sail through the Panama Canal, and have found a cruise that does this. It's a segment of the Queen Elizabeth World cruise 2013 which sails from Fort Lauderdale, around the Caribbean, through the Panama Canal and eventually ends up in Auckland - 31 days of bliss! I have noticed that on my birthday (16th February), the ship crosses the international date line - has anybody done this? What actually happens? Would it be a memorable occasion for a memorable birthday?

I really would like to hear from people who have done this to help me come to my decision as to whether to do this cruise or look at another line - - - - which I really don't want to do.

:)

Last year, Feb. 11, 2011 crossing the international dateline on the Queen Elizabeth, they listed everyone by name, on the front page of the Daily Programme, who missed their birthday.

Crossing the International Dateline and either gaining a day - or losing one, in your case - isn't really much of a big deal on cruiseships. Have done it twice in the last year - losing a day coming back from UK to Oz and gaining a day on the way to Tahiti (on two different ships) - and it was mildly entertaining :)

BUT - you will be crossing the Equator between the Panama Canal and NZ - and THAT is much more fun!! :D But it won't be on your birthday.

Are you now a Pollywog or a Shellback??

http://ukagain2010.blogspot.com.au/2010/11/ooh-my-head.html

http://ukagain2010.blogspot.com.au/2011/02/what-is-needed-to-cross-line.html

Barry

BUT - you will be crossing the Equator between the Panama Canal and NZ - and THAT is much more fun!! :D But it won't be on your birthday.

http://ukagain2010.blogspot.com.au/2010/11/ooh-my-head.html

http://ukagain2010.blogspot.com.au/2011/02/what-is-needed-to-cross-line.html

Barry

I am proud to say I am a Shellback! It happend on the way to Suva, Fiji from Los Angeles back in 1974. (There weren't any festivities that I was aware of, I went to bed fairly early that evening. Too much fresh air for a 13 year old. :DI don't know what's happened to my Equitorial Passport though....:o

Edited by Sauer-kraut

I'm a Shellback, and in the Order of the Golden Dragon (crossing the International Date Line), along with the Order of the Ditch (traversing the Panama Canal). Did I mention that I've been 'round the Horn too, but I forget what that's called?

• 1 year later...

Re crossing the International Date Line - BEWARE!!! CHECK YOUR ITINERARY.

My wife and I are booked on a cruise from Papeete to Sydney sailing on the 4th February 2014 to, amongst other ports, Pago Pago and Apia. The cruise itinerary - just received - shows the cruise leaving Pago Pago (EAST of the date line) on the 10th February and arriving in Apia on the 11th February, which cannot be possible. In November 2011 - more than 2 years ago - Apia changed it's time zone and is now WEST of the date line and the arrival date will be the 12th Feb. Have just checked a Royal Caribbean itinerary and it shows the CORRECT information i.e. you effectively lose a day crossing the date line when travelling from East to West.

• 2 weeks later...

I travelled on QE last February from LA to Auckland, thus crossing the equator and date line. Crossing the equator was a bigger deal with a fun display taking part around one of the pools with the captain, officers and passengers taking part in a crossing the line type ceremony where they dressed up, were covered in food and jumped into the pool.

I don't recall any special celebration for the date line, just turning our clocks forward, however we did receive a commemorative certificate in our room for crossing the equator, and another one for the date line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk