"New" Chef's Table Menu to be on the Breeze :/

happy cruzin

I am willing to bet that the quality of the wine has been scaled back - as well!! :o

Not sure about the quality of the wine but a few of the disappointed filet-less guest managed to drown their sorrows with all of it. :D It was different but just as good as the old menu. If you have yo have the filet then the Steak House is your best bet. On our next cruise we are opting for that. Not because it wasn't great but we like variety. For the Steak House it will be either seafood or lamb.

food should not come with instructions.

Sometimes good food does come with instructions....for people who don't know how to eat a whole lobster, instructions are given.

Not being a native Mainer, I originally needed that instruction!!!!

Just thought I'd play devil's advocate :D

Actually this desert comes with instructions (or should come with instructions).

When this picture first appeared last year the poster said that if you eat this desert right, it is actually tasty, otherwise - nasty.

All I can say that on Top Chef the judges always remind cheftestants that food should not come with instructions.

Not really instructions. Each of the courses is presented with the concept and execution of the dish. Even if you don't pay attention, it's pretty intuitive. (Hint) As with all of the other courses, the end result was a 'clean' plate. :)

I wonder if the salmon is wild or if it's farm raised??? If farm raised that even makes it more crappy.

Now I'LL be the one to make a wager---$1000 says it's farmraised! No way is it wild.

Someone posted a photo on FB...it looks to be farm raised. You know how there is a vast color difference in the two...well, if I were a betting type, I would bet without hesitation that this pale piece of fish is farm raised salmon.

The piece of it is about the length/width of a finger.

If he answers it is going to be something like that:

I am sorry you feel this way...

I don't think it is a downgrade...

Our guests like variety....

Chef Table is more popular than ever....

I hope you still join us at the Chef Table....

you overlooked "all this excitement has intiated 107 new reservations"

Hello, "happy cruzin" and "halos."

Thus, it is logical to assume that the reference to "Slow Stewed short ribs" is NOT a reference to "Wagyu," but rather a reference to ribs that ACCOMPANY the Wagyu!

What then IS the Wagyu? We believe that it is a fantastic steak (a ribeye, a filet mignon, or a strip steak) -- possibly better than a "normal" filet mignon -- that is cut from a Texas-grown, Wagyu-beef animal (descended from a Kobe beast). Click on this link to find out why we believe this, looking at the two pages full of photos of Wagyu steaks:

http://www.kansascitysteaks.com/Wagyu-Kobe-Beef.2.htm?ne_ppc_id=1060&ne_key_id=11247411&ne_sadid=11913213820&gclid=CO2u2a6qta4CFSwDQAodgQK1qQ

Having seen those photos, we think that you will agree that it would NOT be necessary to "slow-stew" any cut of Wagyu meat!

However ... it is just barely possible that we are mistaken -- i.e., that the person who prepared the menu was inconsistent and really intended to refer to the Wagyu beef as CONSISTING of "slow stewed short ribs," rather than being ACCOMANIED by them. We did find another page, which shows, and has good things to say about, Wagyu short ribs. Have a look at it here:

http://www.dartagnan.com/60876/565659/Braising-Collection/Kobe--Style-Wagyu-Beef-Boneless-Short-Ribs.html

The short ribs are the Wagyu beef.

I believe that to be true. "Kobe" is a specific - brand name - for beef from one particular location. Wagyu is of similar quality - but not from that specific location.

We have had Wagyu Beef - while in Vegas. It was very good - and if they had just substituted that for the Filet we would still be considering the "new" menu.

But to me Cornish Game Hen is not on par with the Rock Shrimps nor does the Salmon compare to the Chilean Sea Bass...and Tomatoes - no matter how they are prepared -do not compare to Salmon Tartar. :cool:

So sadly - to me - the "new" menu feels like a scaled back version of our original Chef's Table experience.

i'm having a hard time getting my head around extending the carnival cutbacks to the "pay for" venues.

makes no sense. they are removing all the reasons to buy up to these places.

I think the Chef mentioned it was wild caught Norwegian. Makes sense since we were in Europe. :)

That might be the color difference then...Wild Alaskan salmon is a much darker red....wild Norwegian salmon may be lighter in color.

I'm at least glad to know that if you're paying extra, you're getting wild caught...:)

i'm having a hard time getting my head around extending the carnival cutbacks to the "pay for" venues.

Good morning Yugo. :) Carnival uses 'wet aged' Prime for the Steak House. Retail the filet goes for about $16/lb. For the Wagyu, the boneless short ribs go for about $24/lb. I think a big problem they are having is understanding that the mindset of their clientele equates what people see in their supermarkets and not more upscale restaurants. As for the Short Ribs, they are a few years behind the timeline. Same for the "Didja menu". Most of the newness in variety is outside of the passengers comfort level. funny thing is that many decades ago we would have chicken for Sunday dinner while the veal, lamb and tenderloin beef was for the weekdays. You're not going to find Wagyu in most supermarkets.

Obviously they don't see it that way. :rolleyes:

Realistically they are still filling the seats at the Chef's Table - and THAT is their goal. So...economically they have increased their profit by scaling back the items on the menu and still charging the same $75.00/pp.

Sadly - this is just the way it is :cool:. We can already see that as long as there are only 14 seats - and no more than 2 Chef's Tables per cruise - Carnival will contiune to fill those seats and say it is a success. :o

They don't seem to acknowledge at all that guests are chooing NOT to participate - based on the changes and THAT is what I find disappointing.

Someone posted a photo on FB...it looks to be farm raised. You know how there is a vast color difference in the two...well, if I were a betting type, I would bet without hesitation that this pale piece of fish is farm raised salmon.

Actually farm raised salmon is color enhanced, just one of the 'problems' with it. We've caught Coho and Chinook that ranges from very pale red to almost white. Depends on the diet. Sockeye is one of the reddest available to general markets. :)

Actually farm raised salmon is color enhanced, just one of the 'problems' with it. . :)

Yes, I am sadly aware of that...which is why I won't buy farm raised. We love salmon...when I can get it wild caught I always buy it. We just had some this week. It was delicious.

The farm raised tastes fine too...but I can't eat it knowing what I know about it. I also have eliminated white tuna from my diet for the same reason.

I hate that I have to actually do research before I eat anything anymore....what the hell good is the FDA anyway???

Sockeye is what we usually get here (when we get wild caught) which is why I am so used to seeing such a deep color.

Now I am in the mood for salmon :)

because we eat it so often at home, it doesn't appeal to me anywhere near as much as the sea bass did.

Retail the filet goes for about $16/lb. For the Wagyu, the boneless short ribs go for about $24/lb. .

Wagyu rib steaks go for around $60 per pound.

I would love to sink my teeth into a Wagyu rib steak. :D

I am sure the short ribs are amazing...I still would prefer some steak, but I know my DH would enjoy the ribs very much.

Yes, I am sadly aware of that...which is why I won't buy farm raised. We love salmon...when I can get it wild caught I always buy it. We just had some this week. It was delicious.

The farm raised tastes fine too...but I can't eat it knowing what I know about it. I also have eliminated white tuna from my diet for the same reason.

I hate that I have to actually do research before I eat anything anymore....what the hell good is the FDA anyway???

Sockeye is what we usually get here (when we get wild caught) which is why I am so used to seeing such a deep color.

Now I am in the mood for salmon :)

because we eat it so often at home, it doesn't appeal to me anywhere near as much as the sea bass did.

But it's good for you. :D Sockeye is on sale here for $7.99/lb and Alaskan Cod is $4.99/lb. The cod will be dinner tonight. I'm not a big fan of the Chilean Sea Bass. The local one here is Black Sea Bass and it is wonderful.

Doesn't suprise me. I would be totally shocked if it was wild. I was at walmart last week buying supplies for the Camp and saw little frozen lobster tails in the display, looked just like the ones in the MDR, two for $7. Haha.

Good morning Yugo. :) Carnival uses 'wet aged' Prime for the Steak House. Retail the filet goes for about $16/lb. For the Wagyu, the boneless short ribs go for about $24/lb. I think a big problem they are having is understanding that the mindset of their clientele equates what people see in their supermarkets and not more upscale restaurants. As for the Short Ribs, they are a few years behind the timeline. Same for the "Didja menu". Most of the newness in variety is outside of the passengers comfort level. funny thing is that many decades ago we would have chicken for Sunday dinner while the veal, lamb and tenderloin beef was for the weekdays. You're not going to find Wagyu in most supermarkets.

30+ years in the supermarket business, i work better with costs, not what it retails at. especially the markups this brand entertains.

but when i read that out of 4 potential steakhouse meals for my family, 2 have/ are in the process of being removed (porterhouse) and the once large lobstertails are now 2 smaller ones, 75% of my incentive is gone.

and i believe it's dry aged beef.

30+ years in the supermarket business, i work better with costs, not what it retails at. especially the markups this brand entertains.

but when i read that out of 4 potential steakhouse meals for my family, 2 have/ are in the process of being removed (porterhouse) and the once large lobstertails are now 2 smaller ones, 75% of my incentive is gone.

and i believe it's dry aged beef.

Could be. Many of the reviews seem to state dry-aged but nowhere in any Carnival literature can I find anything other than 'aged' mentioned. The first time we went was on the Valor and the chef said it was wet-aged. Also what we saw was frozen which is fine since the turnover is so short. The first time I had the Veal chop which is now history. On the Pride I had the Lamb. This next one will probably be Lamb again or seafood. I had thought of getting the porterhouse which is what usually have at home. Seems like the 'chocolate thingy' is gone as well. It will still be fine whatever I decide.

You know what, you are absolute right! I remember when my sister was getting married and asked our grandparents if they wanted chicken or prime rib, they acted all offended and said of course they wanted chicken.

Doesn't suprise me. I would be totally shocked if it was wild. I was at walmart last week buying supplies for the Camp and saw little frozen lobster tails in the display, looked just like the ones in the MDR, two for $7. Haha.

Last week, when I I was at upscale supermarket last wee(Lunds or Byerlies here in Minnesota), and they were selling lobster tails - one for $5.99! They were not frozen, although they were probably previously frozen because as you might know Minnesota does not have coastal line ;).

Last week, when I I was at upscale supermarket last wee(Lunds or Byerlies here in Minnesota), and they were selling lobster tails - one for $5.99! They were not frozen, although they were probably previously frozen because as you might know Minnesota does not have coastal line ;).

I think there is a discontect with people not understanding that the price for a frozen lobster tail is vastly different than the price for a live, whole lobster. A lobster dinner with a whole live lobster that was alive 20 minutes before and a frozen lobster tail that has been thawed and thrown under the broiler are about as far apart as you can get:)

I think there is a discontect with people not understanding that the price for a frozen lobster tail is vastly different than the price for a live, whole lobster. A lobster dinner with a whole live lobster that was alive 20 minutes before and a frozen lobster tail that has been thawed and thrown under the broiler are about as far apart as you can get:)

No disconnect from me actually. This is why I never order "lobster" in MDR, no did I buy the $5.99 one at Lunds.

My question is, are you sure they serve(d) live lobster in steak house or at the chef table?

Obviously they don't see it that way. :rolleyes:

Realistically they are still filling the seats at the Chef's Table - and THAT is their goal. So...economically they have increased their profit by scaling back the items on the menu and still charging the same $75.00/pp.

Sadly - this is just the way it is :cool:. We can already see that as long as there are only 14 seats - and no more than 2 Chef's Tables per cruise - Carnival will contiune to fill those seats and say it is a success. :o

They don't seem to acknowledge at all that guests are chooing NOT to participate - based on the changes and THAT is what I find disappointing.

How much MORE profit on a single seating can they actually make? They gross $1,050 for each seating if they fill all 14 seats. Even if they are losing money on it (which I doubt), how much do they increase their profit with these changes, a hundred bucks? We're not talking about thousands of meals every day in the buffet and the MDR where small cost reductions per serving can add up to huge savings, we're talking about 14 seats every 3-5 days.

Of course they will say it is a success if they sell out every seating, receiving positive feedback and not losing money. How would you measure success? They can't quantify how many people are choosing NOT to try the new menu because there are no empty seats to fill. The way I would look at it is I've got a handful of people who have only tried the old menu telling me they won't try the new one, compared to people who have tried the new menu saying mostly positive things about it. I can't say I disagree with Heald here when he says, "sorry you feel that way" and I would throw in a "you haven't event TRIED this menu yourself."

Sometimes good food does come with instructions....for people who don't know how to eat a whole lobster, instructions are given.

Not being a native Mainer, I originally needed that instruction!!!!

Just thought I'd play devil's advocate :D

My wife (originally from PA) had never ate a whole lobster until she met me. I showed her once how to crack it open and eat it and that's all it took, she is a pro now.

My wife (originally from PA) had never ate a whole lobster until she met me. I showed her once how to crack it open and eat it and that's all it took, she is a pro now.

I was from PA as well, so lobster to me was always just the tail. My DH was also from PA, so on top of not being a lobster lover in the first place (poor guy is allergic to them....that's awful if you ask me) he had no clue how to eat one originally either...Now he is a pro at cooking them up for me ('cause I just can't do it :eek:)

I think there is a discontect with people not understanding that the price for a frozen lobster tail is vastly different than the price for a live, whole lobster. A lobster dinner with a whole live lobster that was alive 20 minutes before and a frozen lobster tail that has been thawed and thrown under the broiler are about as far apart as you can get

Whole, live lobster (in season) is dirt cheap.

Most I paid this summer was $4.99 per pound and I was lucky enough to get them at a local farm where that was for any size lobster.

Man, were they good.

Right now in the supermarkets (because the season is long done) the slightly larger ones are $12.99 a pound...chickens $10.99

I don't believe I have ever seen sea bass available at any stores up here...occasionally, I will see it on a restaurant menu.

No disconnect from me actually. This is why I never order "lobster" in MDR, no did I buy the $5.99 one at Lunds.

My question is, are you sure they serve(d) live lobster in steak house or at the chef table?

No, no. Always a frozen tail. Just a LARGER frozen tail. I have never seen a whole lobster served on CCL.

I was from PA as well, so lobster to me was always just the tail. My DH was also from PA, so on top of not being a lobster lover in the first place (poor guy is allergic to them....that's awful if you ask me) he had no clue how to eat one originally either...Now he is a pro at cooking them up for me ('cause I just can't do it :eek:)

Whole, live lobster (in season) is dirt cheap.

Most I paid this summer was $4.99 per pound and I was lucky enough to get them at a local farm where that was for any size lobster.

Man, were they good.

Right now in the supermarkets (because the season is long done) the slightly larger ones are $12.99 a pound...chickens $10.99

I don't believe I have ever seen sea bass available at any stores up here...occasionally, I will see it on a restaurant menu.

Boat price this summer was around $2.70lb (for shedders)! Dirt cheap. Cheaper than burger. All the $ is in the shipping/middlemen, so if you don't live in Maine you're out of luck:D You see that guy in Boothbay who caught a 27 pounder in a shrimp net this week? Take your arm off.....

Archived