"New" Chef's Table Menu to be on the Breeze :/

happy cruzin

I was really surprised about what I think is a real downgrade of the menu. Cornish hen and Salmon...

I can't eat that much food and have never done the Chef's table but if I think the old menu sounded like it was much better.

Yep....that seem to be the general feeling.... :(

Halos, I paid 28.00 a pound for Sea Bass here, it was soooooooo good, and I know that I paid some of that just for the shipping, but I could have bought a couple of live lobsters for that here.

It is very expensive and delicious, but I guess my point was why not substitute the sea bass with something at least fairly upgrade, you can get salmon in the MDR for free, and truthfully I can do salmon better than most of the places I've eaten it, just says blah to me.

Ditto with the cornish hens. If they want poultry why not duck breast or something like that???

We will probably do the CT one more time but truthfully I am disappointed in the changes and probably won't do it again.

I crave that delicious Tomato and Poblano Chili Bisque, it was awesome!!

Carole

I AGREE 100%!!! Well said :)

Sadly this "new" menu is just too close to what's already available in the MDR to make it special and worth the $75.00/pp - from my perspective.

If expense was truly the issue....I would have preferred that they left the menu alone and charged $80.00 per person. :rolleyes: At least you were getting a GREAT meal....I don't feel that there is anything "great" or "special" about the updated menu. :cool:

I guess I can't really answer that for sure.

I thought when I read the new menu that it was a small piece of wagyu beef steak AND a small portion of short ribs.

I think I went that way because recently - in the last year or so when the MDR menus were update - the Filet in the MDR's has become a smaller portion and it is served with a small portion of the short ribs.

But.....I could be wrong. :o

Nope the Wagyu beef is the short ribs...this is the menu...I have no clue how h8toseaugo wound up on it :rolleyes:

LOL...he thinks h8 is a woman, I guess....

This is from the blog

Executive Chef Daniel Arulraj welcomes Ms. H82Seaugo

Aboard the Carnival Magic, Tuesday February 21, 2012

RECEPTION

Parmesan Core & Olive

Chorizo & Dates, Piquillo Sofrito

Focaccia, Mascarpone Cream & Prosciutto Crudo

Langoustine & Sundried Tomato Jam Fritters

MENU

Tomatoes Our Way!

Aerated Tomato Juice, Cocoa Butter Coated, Chardonnay Poached

Tuna Banh Mi

Lemon Bread, Sesame Crisp, Miso Cream Avocado gel

Cornish Hen

Caramelized, Butternut Squash, Sofrito

Bavarois

Spinach, Green Peas, Warm Turnip & Apple Juice

Salmon

Herb Pesto, Cured Tomatoes, Carrots, Fava, Mushroom Earth, Condensed Beets

Wagyu

Slow Stewed short ribs, Potato Pebbles, Pumpkin Fudge, Tomato Dust

Dessert

Chef in a Candy Shop

From JH FB:

It seems the Chef's Table blog of yesterday seemed to stir some into booking as we had 107 new reservation requests. Thanks to you all for supporting this great event/

As you know I refuse to post links to another website here as I nevr know if they are actually from members or not and I dont want to get in the middle of all that again. I did though, as we are talking about Chef's table get a link sent to me about the event and I read a few of the 30 or so comments and some seem to think that the menu we have on the Carnival Magic is not as good as the first menu we had. Now obviously this isnt a common belief as the tables are sold out most if not all cruises with many ships having extra Chef Table nights. However, if this is what some of our guests feel then its important that I pass their thoughts onto the Executive Chef which I have along with the 100 or so positive ones from this Facebook Page. I will let you know what the Chef says and thank you all for your comments regardless. Here is a photo of the main course, the Wagyu Short Rib. From the review cards each participant completes this is something that the guests are raving about and I hope you get to experience the Chef's table one day for yourself. The whole experience from the cocktail reception to the galley tour to the food itself is something that can make a great cruise...historic. I will be trying the new menu myself on the bloggers cruise and will post my review and photos.

Encompasses all the answers I outlined above!!!

I did post the question to JH on his blog, not sure if he'll answer or not, or when, I'm not a JH follower so I don't read his blog much.

So if anyone sees my question and he answers please give a holler!!!

I just asked why they have downgraded the food.

Should be an interesting answer, with much pretty papering of the answer.

;)

Just for the record....I posted a message on JH's facebook page on Tuesday...asking if he knew what menu was to be offered on the Breeze. That I was very interested in doing the Chef's Table again - but not if it was the "new" menu. He did answer with this:

If you can wait for my blog tomorrow you are going to see a big write up from me about the Chef's table and the menu rotation around the fleet. Its a great event and still is with an even better menu. cheers Lynn

I responded back that I could wait....and made a point of going to the blog last night.

I went back to that posting last night posted this:

John - I see from your blog today that you anticipate the Chef's Table menu for the Breeze to be the one currently served on the Magic. That is disappointing :(

Unfortunately - that means we will NOT be experiencing the Chef's Table while on the Breeze in 2013.

Even with the Wagyu Beef - I do not believe that menu holds a candle to the original menu that we enjoyed on the Miracle with the Chiil Poblano Soup, Chilean Sea Bass and the Filet.

Sadly...we will pass and I do not believe we are alone. :/

I do not expect him to respond further - but I did make an effort to voice my sadness over the choice of menu for the Breeze.

My opinion hasn't changed that the CT offers a better value for the money over the MDR than the steakhouse does, and I didn't even have to pay the premium for the steakhouse. For me, the CT is not just about the menu (although we had decided we were not doing the original CT menu for a third time), but the entire experience including the execution. While my wife insists that the same menu were equally well executed on the Pride and the Dream, I felt that one was executed head and shoulders over the other (leaving me a bit disappointed over the "old" menu).

Even though this new menu does not look as appealing as the original (I really HATE salmon, but at least it's not lobster), I really don't think it makes sense for Carnival to nickel and dime the food cost of what, 10-16 covers for each seating. How much of the $1k per seating are they really trying to pocket?

We're definitely going to do the CT again since the Breeze will have the new menu and make our own assessment. In the meantime, hopefully there will be others who post their own reviews about it.

Nope the Wagyu beef is the short ribs...this is the menu...I have no clue how h8toseaugo wound up on it :rolleyes:

LOL...he thinks h8 is a woman, I guess....

This is from the blog

Executive Chef Daniel Arulraj welcomes Ms. H82Seaugo

Aboard the Carnival Magic, Tuesday February 21, 2012

RECEPTION

Parmesan Core & Olive

Chorizo & Dates, Piquillo Sofrito

Focaccia, Mascarpone Cream & Prosciutto Crudo

Langoustine & Sundried Tomato Jam Fritters

MENU

Tomatoes Our Way!

Aerated Tomato Juice, Cocoa Butter Coated, Chardonnay Poached

Tuna Banh Mi

Lemon Bread, Sesame Crisp, Miso Cream Avocado gel

Cornish Hen

Caramelized, Butternut Squash, Sofrito

Bavarois

Spinach, Green Peas, Warm Turnip & Apple Juice

Salmon

Herb Pesto, Cured Tomatoes, Carrots, Fava, Mushroom Earth, Condensed Beets

Wagyu

Slow Stewed short ribs, Potato Pebbles, Pumpkin Fudge, Tomato Dust

Dessert

Chef in a Candy Shop

Oops :eek:.....I stand corrected! Thanks for clarifying.;)

See what happens when one assumes....sorry I passed on information that was not correct. :o :cool:

If we are reading the Heald web-log post correctly ...

... the OLD MENU, as of 2/22/12, is still being used on ...

Carnival Conquest

Carnival Dream

Carnival Elation

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Freedom

Carnival Glory

Carnival Inspiration

Carnival Legend

Carnival Miracle

Carnival Paradise

Carnival Pride

Carnival Sensation

Carnival Spirit

Carnival Splendor

Carnival Triumph

Carnival Valor

Carnival Victory ...

... while the NEW MENU, as of 2/22/12, is being used on ...

Carnival Breeze

Carnival Destiny

Carnival Imagination

Carnival Fantasy

Carnival Ecstasy

Carnival Sensation

Carnival Liberty

Carnival Magic

"with more ships to follow," says John Heald

We have been reading various threads about Chef's Table (old menu) for several months.

We have been able to see quite a few photos of the items that are served from the old menu.

We have been able to read descriptions and evaluations of almost every item that is served.

If we are not mistaken, the new menu has been in effect for at least several weeks, first on one ship, but gradually on others.

Why, then, have we not been able to see photos of the items that are served from the new menu (besides the disgusting dessert)?

Why, then, have we not read descriptions and evaluations of each of the items that are served -- or at least the main items (Cornish hens, tuna, and Wagyu beef)?

Could it be that almost all CruiseCritic members are avoiding the new menu?

Oops :eek:.....I stand corrected! Thanks for clarifying.;)

See what happens when one assumes....sorry I passed on information that was not correct. :o :cool:

I would have assumed the same. If you are eliminating the fillet, you wouldn't think it would be replaced with short ribs...at least I wouldn't think that.

So I totally understand why you would assume it was a Wagyu steak + ribs.

Now I'LL be the one to make a wager---$1000 says it's farmraised! No way is it wild.

I sure hope not. I don't buy farm raised to cook at home. We eat salmon often and can't eat farm raised salmon often because of the issues with it... I certainly wouldn't buy it on the ship.

I thought when I read the new menu that it was a small piece of wagyu beef steak AND a small portion of short ribs. I think I went that way because recently - in the last year or so when the MDR menus were update - the Filet in the MDR's has become a smaller portion and it is served with a small portion of the short ribs.

Nope the Wagyu beef is the short ribs ... this is the menu ...

Cornish Hen

-- Caramelized, Butternut Squash, Sofrito ...

Salmon

-- Herb Pesto, Cured Tomatoes, Carrots, Fava, Mushroom Earth, Condensed Beets

Wagyu

-- Slow Stewed short ribs, Potato Pebbles, Pumpkin Fudge, Tomato Dust

Hello, "happy cruzin" and "halos."

We think that you actually ARE right, "happy cruzin."

If we are not mistaken, "halos," you are not speaking from experience (on board), but only from your reading of the printed menu. Please scroll up and take a look at how the Cornish Hen and Salmon (and even other items above them) are described. Notice that the second line says nothing about the main item, but rather about its ACCOMPANIMENTS. Thus, it is logical to assume that the reference to "Slow Stewed short ribs" is NOT a reference to "Wagyu," but rather a reference to ribs that ACCOMPANY the Wagyu!

What then IS the Wagyu? We believe that it is a fantastic steak (a ribeye, a filet mignon, or a strip steak) -- possibly better than a "normal" filet mignon -- that is cut from a Texas-grown, Wagyu-beef animal (descended from a Kobe beast). Click on this link to find out why we believe this, looking at the two pages full of photos of Wagyu steaks:

http://www.kansascitysteaks.com/Wagyu-Kobe-Beef.2.htm?ne_ppc_id=1060&ne_key_id=11247411&ne_sadid=11913213820&gclid=CO2u2a6qta4CFSwDQAodgQK1qQ

Having seen those photos, we think that you will agree that it would NOT be necessary to "slow-stew" any cut of Wagyu meat!

However ... it is just barely possible that we are mistaken -- i.e., that the person who prepared the menu was inconsistent and really intended to refer to the Wagyu beef as CONSISTING of "slow stewed short ribs," rather than being ACCOMANIED by them. We did find another page, which shows, and has good things to say about, Wagyu short ribs. Have a look at it here:

http://www.dartagnan.com/60876/565659/Braising-Collection/Kobe--Style-Wagyu-Beef-Boneless-Short-Ribs.html

Thus, we will not be bothered by the replacement of "filet mignon" (old menu) with ANY kind of Wagyu beef (new menu). We WILL be troubled by the replacement of "sea bass" with "salmon." Nobody seems to be mentioning that it is "rock shrimps" that are being replaced -- upgraded, we'd say -- by the "Cornish hen" (unless the latter is hell to eat, because of little meat and tons of bones).

By the way, we are disgusted by the appearance of "Chef in a Candy Shop," and we will refuse to eat it. When asked, in advance, if we have any allergies, we will ask for something to replace "Chef in a Candy Shop."

Hello, "happy cruzin" and "halos."

We think that you actually ARE right, "happy cruzin."

If we are not mistaken, "halos," you are not speaking from experience (on board), but only from your reading of the printed menu. Please scroll up and take a look at how the Cornish Hen and Salmon (and even other items above them) are described. Notice that the second line says nothing about the main item, but rather about its ACCOMPANIMENTS. Thus, it is logical to assume that the reference to "Slow Stewed short ribs" is NOT a reference to "Wagyu," but rather a reference to ribs that ACCOMPANY the Wagyu!

What then IS the Wagyu? We believe that it is a fantastic steak (a ribeye, a filet mignon, or a strip steak) -- possibly better than a "normal" filet mignon -- that is cut from a Texas-grown, Wagyu-beef animal (descended from a Kobe beast). Click on this link to find out why we believe this, looking at the two pages full of photos of Wagyu steaks:

http://www.kansascitysteaks.com/Wagyu-Kobe-Beef.2.htm?ne_ppc_id=1060&ne_key_id=11247411&ne_sadid=11913213820&gclid=CO2u2a6qta4CFSwDQAodgQK1qQ

Having seen those photos, we think that you will agree that it would NOT be necessary to "slow-stew" any cut of Wagyu meat!

However ... it is just barely possible that we are mistaken -- i.e., that the person who prepared the menu was inconsistent and really intended to refer to the Wagyu beef as consisting of "slow stewed short ribs." We did find another page, which shows, and has good things to say about, Wagyu short ribs. Have a look at it here:

http://www.dartagnan.com/60876/565659/Braising-Collection/Kobe--Style-Wagyu-Beef-Boneless-Short-Ribs.html

By the way, we are disgusted by the appearance of "Chef in a Candy Shop," and we will refuse to eat it. When asked, in advance, if we have any allergies, we will ask for something to replace "Chef in a Candy Shop."

It seems from posts on JH's facebook from people who have eaten the new menu that the ribs are the Wagyu beef. I could be wrong...I have not experienced the CT with the new menu, but I am pretty sure the ribs ARE the beef and there is no steak.

I am sure when more CC members experience the new menu we will know for sure.

LOL...the pic of the dessert wasn't appetizing, I agree. I do bet it tastes good though (at least I'd like to think it does!!) :)

Carnival Conquest

Carnival Sensation

Carnival Breeze

Carnival Sensation

Sorry about that. The NEW MENU is on the Sensation (not the OLD MENU).

LOL...the pic of the dessert wasn't appetizing, I agree. I do bet it tastes good though (at least I'd like to think it does!!)

Actually this desert comes with instructions (or should come with instructions).

When this picture first appeared last year the poster said that if you eat this desert right, it is actually tasty, otherwise - nasty.

All I can say that on Top Chef the judges always remind cheftestants that food should not come with instructions.

We have been reading various threads about Chef's Table (old menu) for several months.

We have been able to see quite a few photos of the items that are served from the old menu.

We have been able to read descriptions and evaluations of almost every item that is served.

If we are not mistaken, the new menu has been in effect for at least several weeks, first on one ship, but gradually on others.

Why, then, have we not been able to see photos of the items that are served from the new menu (besides the disgusting dessert)?

Why, then, have we not read descriptions and evaluations of each of the items that are served -- or at least the main items (Cornish hens, tuna, and Wagyu beef)?

Could it be that almost all CruiseCritic members are avoiding the new menu?

We want to invite members again to comment on the above observations.

1. Does anyone have photos of the new menu's items?

2. Whether answer yes or no to question 1, does anyone have comments about the various items on the new menu (how delicious, size, presence/absence of bones, etc.)?

Concerning the old menu:

Here are an additional observation and a question that we forgot to make/ask above:

The many photos of old-menu items that we have seen show a featured item (e.g., sea bass, filet mignon, etc.) in the middle of a huge plate. The quantities appear to be very small, being surrounded by lots of empty white china. Why are there no "sides" visible? How can one eat a serving of beef or fish without having one or more colorful vegetables (plus potatoes or rice) on the side? Also, how can anyone be full after having such small portions and no side dishes?

Carnival Conquest

Carnival Dream

Carnival Elation

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Freedom

Carnival Glory

Carnival Inspiration

Carnival Legend

Carnival Miracle

Carnival Paradise

Carnival Pride

Carnival Sensation

Carnival Spirit

Carnival Splendor

Carnival Triumph

Carnival Valor

Carnival Victory ...

Carnival Breeze

Carnival Destiny

Carnival Imagination

Carnival Fantasy

Carnival Ecstasy

Carnival Sensation

Carnival Liberty

Carnival Magic

....actually the "new" menu has been around a while - mainly on the older ships. It is referred to as the "new" menu because it is a second - newer - menu in relation to the original menu.

I was surprised to see that it was on the Magic as we prepared for our December 2011 cruise.

And for anyone wondering....yes we choose NOT to do the Chef's Table on the Magic because of the menu - even then.:(

The "new" menu on the Magic combined with our fantastic experience and menu on the Miracle is why I was holding out hope that the Breeze would have the original menu.

Actually this desert comes with instructions (or should come with instructions).

When this picture first appeared last year the poster said that if you eat this desert right, it is actually tasty, otherwise - nasty.

All I can say that on Top Chef the judges always remind cheftestants that food should not come with instructions.

Just curious......

Does anyone have an idea of what the "right" way is?? :confused:

It seems from posts on JH's facebook from people who have eaten the new menu that the ribs are the Wagyu beef. I could be wrong...I have not experienced the CT with the new menu, but I am pretty sure the ribs ARE the beef and there is no steak.

I am sure when more CC members experience the new menu we will know for sure.

LOL...the pic of the dessert wasn't appetizing, I agree. I do bet it tastes good though (at least I'd like to think it does!!) :)

For those interested who have access to facebook - John Heald did post a photo yesterday of the Wagyu entree in the same posting that refereed to this thread.

To be honest it didn't look like a steak or short ribs to me.... :rolleyes:

We want to invite members again to comment on the above observations.

1. Does anyone have photos of the new menu's items?

2. Whether answer yes or no to question 1, does anyone have comments about the various items on the new menu (how delicious, size, presence/absence of bones, etc.)?

Concerning the old menu:

Here are an additional observation and a question that we forgot to make/ask above:

The many photos of old-menu items that we have seen show a featured item (e.g., sea bass, filet mignon, etc.) in the middle of a huge plate. The quantities appear to be very small, being surrounded by lots of empty white china. Why are there no "sides" visible? How can one eat a serving of beef or fish without having one or more colorful vegetables (plus potatoes or rice) on the side? Also, how can anyone be full after having such small portions and no side dishes?

I think I can help here. Referring to the original menu because that's the only one we have expereinced....

The portions are not what I would consider small in any way. They were similar to any other fine restuarant. I think the fish and beef were probably about 5 or 6 ounces. There are SO many courses that if the portions were any larger NO ONE would ever be able to finish the meal.

I think in the photos they may look small - but that is also because the plates are HUGE.

You are mistaken about no sides. There are wonderful side dishes prepared with each main course - a risotto with the Sea Bass, Wasabi mashed potatoes with the Filet, etc. I think those don't get included in the picutes that get posted here because the main item it is "star" and what those that post pictures want to showcase.....not the sides.

When I took photos of our meal - I snapped a shot as each item was added to plate. Here is the link to my photos of the Chef Table - if you want to see what I mean.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1611248958492.2080634.1154291247&type=3&l=ac1638248f

Archived