Jewel of the Seas - Photo Recap

**** WARNING - May be disturbing to animal lovers. ****

Please skip this post if you are sensitive to animal welfare.

Ok ... I don't like to dwell on things that are negative.

And I will not.

I am not a vegan hippie. I wear leather shoes.

I am not politically correct most times.

Nor am I am expert in animal welfare or a zoologist.

But, we both independently experienced two very disturbing scenes during our short time spent ashore in Costa Maya.

Both of these made us open our mouths wide in shock and made us both very uncomfortable.

First there was a baby tiger cub that was being solicited for pictures. Cruise guests were encouraged to hold the baby cub for photos which you would have to purchase after. This was done supposedly for fundraising for a wildlife sancutuary on the island. Curious - the baby cub was literally in a baby playpen - placed in full sun. We walked by twice. Once there was a couple in their 40s holding the cub and trying to feed it from a baby bottle. The cub was clearly agitated to the point where it was clawing up the man's arm toward his face. Again, I do not have a PhD in animal care, but this is wrong for so many reasons. They baby cub was being socialized with humans. The cub very well could have scratched the tourists in the face since it was being held so close. The cub surely could have easily caught a human disease since there were no hand washing stations around while strangers came up to hold and pet the animal. It was like no one in the scenario respected the fact that the cub was a wild creature. I googled this when I returned home and found even more disturbing information. Again, not to start trouble ... but thought I would share to inform:

http://www.globalanimal.org/2011/12/23/tiger-cubs-exploited-in-americas-malls-of-shame-video/61054/

Apparently this is a ruse to raise money for the handlers who dispose of the animal when it grows out of being cute and too big to be handled easily.

Disturbing.

I was in such a state of shock that I could not even get my camera out.

Another thing - we saw several dolphin confined into TINY concrete enclosures adjacent to Carlos and Charlies. Apparently these dolphin were meant for human encounters. The enclosures were smaller than I have ever seen and just seemed outright cruel for animals who communicate with sonar. It would literally drive them mad. It was so sad. They are only 10 feet away from their natural environment. VERY VERY SAD.

http://www.wspa-international.org/helping/animalfriendlyliving/captivedolphins.aspx

IMG_8868-vi.jpg

We counted four (maybe five) dolphin in this tiny enclosure entertaining people.

IMG_8869-vi.jpg

Tiny space for even one dolphin.

IMG_8871-vi.jpg

Doing tricks to eat.

IMG_8872-vi.jpg

:(

We returned back to the ship after our (less than favorable) stroll in the Costa Maya port.

We approached our cabin, and a man in a full hazmat suit was leaving!

WHAT!?!

We were in shock.

Oh No - what could have happened?

Was there a sewage spill in our cabin?

Did someone smuggle illegal stuff?

Side Note: We are not rum runners.

WAIT FOR IT - we walked in after the hazmat suited man left and here's what we saw:

IMG_8877-vi.jpg

Are you kidding me? They trashed our room!

IMG_8878-vi.jpg

The bedding and bed was torn apart and strewn about the cabin. HOLY HAT!

<<<< GETTING MAD!>>>>

IMG_8879-vi.jpg

Bedding thrown and balled up on the sofa.

IMG_8880-vi.jpg

There was wet spray like material all over the side tables, phone, and water bottles we brought on board and our welcome aboard fruit and nuts.

IMG_8881-vi.jpg

Greasy foam like substance along the floor board behind where the bed was.

IMG_8883-vi.jpg

Close up of the foamy wet toxic spray substance.

We both were scared, upset, angry and confused what happened and why.

We left the cabin and found the room steward who was equally shocked by the scene.

Apparently he just had serviced our cabin and didn't have any notification of maintenance.

We received a call from the executive housekeeper and he stated that there was routine maintenance in our cabin and the one adjacent to us. Our steward had already serviced them both. He assured me that all surfaces would be wiped down and cleaned. And he would ask the steward to do his best to minimize the toxic smell.

Apparently RCI routinely sprays for pests (bed bugs). I am not complaining, but MY GOODNESS - please pass along the information to the room stewards and guests. If we would have known, we would not have want to see the cabin like that. It was ransacked. Plus, I receive two injections weekly for allergies. I was scared to death that I would become ill due to the toxic pesticide used in our small cabin.

Our steward did a knock-up job of cleaning up the pesticide.

The smell dissipated quickly and by that evening, you wouldn't have even known that our room was treated.

As an apology for the chemical spray inconvenience, the executive housekeeper sent us a fruit tray to our cabin.

It was a very thoughtful gesture and was very much appreciated.

Although, there was no way that the two of us could finish the fruit - we asked our steward to please take it back to his friends to enjoy.

IMG_8912-vi.jpg

IMG_8907-vi.jpg

Scenic outdoor aft dining area behind the Windjammer.

IMG_8913-vi.jpg

Farewell from the food and beverage staff in the MDR

IMG_8914-vi.jpg

Of course we spent our last night aboard in the solarium hot tub :)

IMG_8915-vi.jpg

It was a great way to relax on the last night.

IMG_8918-vi.jpg

The solarium hot tub area.

It may be kind of a silly question ,but since you specifically mentioned the solarium hot tub, what it hot? My wife and I enjoy a late night soak every night, but on almost every Royal ship we have to play, "find the hot-hot tub. (98 degrees is not a hot tub)

Thanks so much for the wonderful pictures. I can't wait to experience Jewel myself! Any "must do's" would be appreciated-we've only sailed MOnarch & Majesty.

On sea days, make time to eat lunch in the MDR. The Tutti Salad bar is offered those days and it wonderful.

You walk around a horseshoe shaped salad bar in the middle of the MDR and the staff asks you what you would like - type of lettuce, toppings, meat, dressings, etc. It's always fresh and delicious. And you can get your salad exactly how you like it. :)

It may be kind of a silly question ,but since you specifically mentioned the solarium hot tub, what it hot? My wife and I enjoy a late night soak every night, but on almost every Royal ship we have to play, "find the hot-hot tub. (98 degrees is not a hot tub)

Yes - it was hot.

I couldn't tell you the exact temperature.

But, the hot tub was hot enough that people would sit up on the edge and keep their ankles in just to finish a conversation but it was too hot to stay fully inside (if that makes sense). :)

loved the pics.. my fav ship.. been in twice and will be on it for a third time in a matter of days.. thanks for the tease and bringing back memories

Awww ... thanks!

I am beginning to think that the Radiance class is my all time favorite class of ship too.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Here's an irrelevant tid-bit.

We did not receive towel animals every night.

We received two throughout the duration of the cruise.

We had the same thing, (limited creatures and none on the first night) so I decided to surprise my cabin steward with my own towel creations. Each night got more elaborate. She got such a kick out of them, that she called other stewards in to see them, and then she started adding her own different animal creatures. It was all a lot of fun. She told me she took pictures of mine and posted them on her facebook. :D

Thank you for taking time to post these wonderful pictures. We will be on the Jewel out of Boston in October and you have truly whetted my appetite.

One question for you: Which deck can you walk around the entire ship to get some exercize.

Thanks,

There's a jogging track on deck 12 for fitness buffs. ;)

Thank you for taking time to post these wonderful pictures. We will be on the Jewel out of Boston in October and you have truly whetted my appetite.

One question for you: Which deck can you walk around the entire ship to get some exercize.

Thanks,

You can also walk totally around the ship on the lifeboat deck (5 I think?) which circles

the aft and up a few stairs to the helicopter pad across the bow and around. The DH

and I did this every day that we were at sea. Don't forget to wave to the captain and

crew (plus the bow camera) when you "round the bow". ;)

We returned back to the ship after our (less than favorable) stroll in the Costa Maya port.

We approached our cabin, and a man in a full hazmat suit was leaving!

WHAT!?!

We were in shock.

Oh No - what could have happened?

Was there a sewage spill in our cabin?

Did someone smuggle illegal stuff?

Side Note: We are not rum runners.

WAIT FOR IT - we walked in after the hazmat suited man left and here's what we saw:

IMG_8877-vi.jpg

Are you kidding me? They trashed our room!

IMG_8878-vi.jpg

The bedding and bed was torn apart and strewn about the cabin. HOLY HAT!

<<<< GETTING MAD!>>>>

IMG_8879-vi.jpg

Bedding thrown and balled up on the sofa.

IMG_8880-vi.jpg

There was wet spray like material all over the side tables, phone, and water bottles we brought on board and our welcome aboard fruit and nuts.

IMG_8881-vi.jpg

Greasy foam like substance along the floor board behind where the bed was.

IMG_8883-vi.jpg

Close up of the foamy wet toxic spray substance.

We both were scared, upset, angry and confused what happened and why.

We left the cabin and found the room steward who was equally shocked by the scene.

Apparently he just had serviced our cabin and didn't have any notification of maintenance.

I am totally dumbfounded by these pictures. I would of been furious. I realize that it needs to be done, but they could at least give you notice.

Archived