Early bag drop off (in Boston)?

CruiseBoston

We live about a 30 minute drive or a 25 minute subway ride to the cruise port in Boston. We are lucky to be sailing in May as a party of 6 (4 adults and 2 little kids), and I was just thinking about how we are going to get there. I understand that you can drop off luggage at the terminal as early as 10am. Can anyone confirm this?

If that is true, I think our ideal plan would be to have me drive the bags to the terminal for 10am or so, then return the car to our driveway and have everyone take the subway together with our carryons. It seems wasteful to pay for parking or a taxi in our home city, but we are likely to have more luggage than we want to bring on the train. Also, I want to avoid having the kids in a taxi without a carseat.

Any snags I am missing? I don't need all the passengers to drop off the bags, do I? Thanks for your input!

We live about a 30 minute drive or a 25 minute subway ride to the cruise port in Boston. We are lucky to be sailing in May as a party of 6 (4 adults and 2 little kids), and I was just thinking about how we are going to get there. I understand that you can drop off luggage at the terminal as early as 10am. Can anyone confirm this?

If that is true, I think our ideal plan would be to have me drive the bags to the terminal for 10am or so, then return the car to our driveway and have everyone take the subway together with our carryons. It seems wasteful to pay for parking or a taxi in our home city, but we are likely to have more luggage than we want to bring on the train. Also, I want to avoid having the kids in a taxi without a carseat.

Any snags I am missing? I don't need all the passengers to drop off the bags, do I? Thanks for your input!

Since its your hometown, why not just have a friend drive you and drop you off? No need to worry about dropping off your luggage early, no need for a subway ride, no need for parking.

We did just that when we traveled as a couple alone with our then-one-year-old daughter in 2009, but I don't think I have any friends with a car big enough for 5 adults (including the friend), 2 kids, and luggage for six. :)

It might end up making the most sense to just have some of us go by subway and a friend drive one of us and the luggage at the same time, rather than the whole overwrought plot of returning to the house to travel with them ...

Thanks for the input ...

You have 6 people staying in a suite. Why go through all this hassle of the back and forth and/or public transportation just to avoid parking?

It seems that if you can afford a suite for 6 people that you could afford a car service to drop everyone off at the pier. You've sprung for the suite, get the car service and start your vacation off stress-free.

It seems that if you can afford a suite for 6 people that you could afford a car service to drop everyone off at the pier. You've sprung for the suite, get the car service and start your vacation off stress-free.

Ah, but for us, public transit, specifically the subway, isn't a hassle, it is part of the adventure. It would be stressful with all the luggage, but without that, it is lovely to start our journey together that way. And, car services are not known to be reliable for car seats.

On the way back, either someone will pick us up, or, more likely, one of us will take a taxi with the luggage (four or five bags, likely; we aren't perfect at packing, but not too bad either).

In answer to your question, we arrived at 10:15 and our luggage was taken right away. :)

Thanks! That is part of what I was asking ...

Jenn

Another suggestion is to have a trusted friend drive your car ( since you know all will fit) and drop it off in your driveway and pick you up doing it the same way. Although I understand the added adventure of taking the T, I just think it will add stress to your 1st day of vacation and after all the cruise fun, all the hard work for the day will be lost in the excitement of your trip.

BTW: it's nice to see another Boston cruiser, we are from about 45 min away from the dock. Have you sailed the Dawn before or the Spirit when she was here?

I would think for all the hassle of the T twice and the cost of gas for 2 extra trips in and out of the city the extra hour waiting at the end of the cruise for car that the connivence of parking at the pier for $112 is a bargain.

I too live 25 min from Black Falcon its so easy to drive in at 11am drop your bags and people park across the street and be on the ship in 15/20 min. flat with that first umbrella drink in hand. :)

You didn't say when in May you are traveling we are on the 5/4 and taking Boston Express from NH to South Station then a cab, but if the cab is a problem then we will walk as it is only 1.2 miles.

For us the cost of parking in Boston and gas to get there not worth the hassle, but there are only 2 of us and 2 bags and they roll.

I'm sorry if I was unclear in my asking. Our dilemma is that we know our neither one of our cars will fit ALL of us, never mind all of us and luggage. And parking two cars at the pier just seems like an unnecessary expense by far compared to using our transit passes. Yes, we can afford it, but still, wasteful. Now that I know I can definitely drop the bags early, we have a plan.

Hi to all the other Bostonians and thanks to everyone!

I'm sorry if I was unclear in my asking. Our dilemma is that we know our neither one of our cars will fit ALL of us, never mind all of us and luggage. And parking two cars at the pier just seems like an unnecessary expense by far compared to using our transit passes. Yes, we can afford it, but still, wasteful. Now that I know I can definitely drop the bags early, we have a plan.

Hi to all the other Bostonians and thanks to everyone!

Hi back at you!! I am going in August with my 2 girls. Have fun. I live in Boston and will take the train. Just a thought to consider, it will be a Friday so you may hit some traffic so keep that in mind as you are traveling back and forth. Sometimes you can never plan for Boston traffic nightmares. Good luck and write a review...

Hi!

I was having this discussion just yesterday about this since I live pretty close and will be going with several others.

We had thought about dropping off most of the people/luggage first. One or two of us would then park at home and take a cab with anything else. I don't think it will be too much of a hassle and it will save us a few bucks since we're giving it all to NCL. :)

You didn't say when in May you are traveling we are on the 5/4 and taking Boston Express from NH to South Station then a cab, but if the cab is a problem then we will walk as it is only 1.2 miles.

For us the cost of parking in Boston and gas to get there not worth the hassle, but there are only 2 of us and 2 bags and they roll.

we are going from NH also - don't forget to join the 5/4 roll call and join us for a meet and greet if you are interested - look on the roll call board

Archived