Enchantment Delays / Questions / Upcoming Cruises

Looking forward to the Enchantment in May. We booked a cruise sponsored shore excursion arrival day just in case we were too late to make it. We are looking forward to all the amenities of the Enchantment. It's my DD's friends first cruise so whatever it is we will enjoy.:)

Thank You Tour we all look forward to the updates' date=' I will try to keep this thread going as well. Very interested in hearing what the captain has to say about the repairs that have been done and what still needs to be done...[/quote']

Thanks for keeping this thread open, so that we can keep the Live thread a little more focused on updates from the ship, especially for those sailing right after us and over the next month or so. Feel free to summarize updates here if you want or to refer people to the Live thread if needed.

Using up the last of my internet minutes browsing the Enchantment threads. I can assure everyone sailing on Monday that the Farewell show had a room FULL of people who were more than willing to take up the Captain's tongue-in-cheek offer to turn around and sail right back down the bay on YOUR 12 night cruise! :)

We've had an interesting cruise, but in the end, it was a great cruise for those who chose to stick it out. The Captain specifically thanked everyone who had communicated via various means how pleased we were with how the ship's staff had handled themselves and accommodated the additional needs of the guests during the early part of the cruise.

This may very well end up being one of the highest guest-rated cruises in recent memory, in spite of the technical difficulties. After all, those who got angry and left didn't get the survey to fill out! ;)

We are only going 12 mph, but even at that, may end up a little early.

As I wished the C&A Ambassador tonight, I hope everyone's cruise is uneventful to the point of boring! I know the captain, crew and staff could use it!

Theron

In case it hadn't been mentioned anywhere else, Captain Gus returned to the ship after his regularly scheduled 10-week-off vacation on the day we sailed. His normal schedule is 10 weeks on and 10 weeks off.

What a welcome back for him!

"Welcome back, Captain, here's the keys... by the way..."

Theron

Next time you see a price drop, take a screen shot of the prices and save it to your computer. You can send it to your travel agent to prove there was a price drop!

I still don't think they could arrange the price differnce anyway If the price went back up. It is now 45.00pp (90.00pc) lower at 819.00pp. I may call her up anyway to get the lower price. 90.00 is better than nothing. I origonalypaid 1049.00 pp so I am ahead of the game as it is. I have only been on 2 cruises before and already learned the ups and downs of using a TA. Yes they are good for the information they bring but not so good when they are not around for something like this. I have another cruise on NCL in November that I booked through an online site which I got it at a steal. They are at least open 24/7.

In case it hadn't been mentioned anywhere else, Captain Gus returned to the ship after his regularly scheduled 10-week-off vacation on the day we sailed. His normal schedule is 10 weeks on and 10 weeks off.

What a welcome back for him!

"Welcome back, Captain, here's the keys... by the way..."

Theron

I was hoping his contracts were a little more than 3 months rather than a little less, and he would still be aboard when I sailed. He's a real class act and it looks like I'll just miss him.

Roy

Rumor has it that both engines are now working properly' date=' can anyone confirm or deny this onboard.

Thank You !![/quote']

Unfortunately for trying to answer this question, unless the Captain or some other person of authority makes an announcement to that effect, there will be no way for a casual observer to tell.

The reason for this is because this sailing's itinerary does not require the higher speeds that were needed during the last sailing. So they can quite literally get by on the slower speeds that were available with the repairs made by the end of last cruise.

Other than official word, the first we will be able to tell for sure is when we see what the itinerary will be for the next sailing, which is scheduled to match the one from last sailing that had to be drastically altered. If they can make that itinerary unaltered, then we'll know it's fixed.

Theron

TPKeller I agree, there was a mention on another thread about the gentleman from the UK stating that both engines were working properly, however, I could not find that anywhere...

Family / Friends cruising on her late March just trying to keep them updated on the status of one of our favorite ships.

TPKeller I agree' date=' there was a mention on another thread about the gentleman from the UK stating that both engines were working properly, however, I could not find that anywhere...

Family / Friends cruising on her late March just trying to keep them updated on the status of one of our favorite ships.[/quote']

Yes the British Gentleman mentioned something about the both engines working. However, he disembarked early this morning so really don't think his post was confirmation of the repair as there would really be no way for him to have received this information. The poster "Radio" has many reliable contacts and until he or the poster Cigar King who is sailing on the EN today posts something, I think it was just a general assumption made by the British gentleman as he wished todays passenger well.

I've seen it already posted, the Captain did say that the motor in question had been restored to 65% of "normal".

I would not expect him to make any announcements on this current cruise about it, because unless it degrades, it won't have any affect on them at all.

It will be important to filter any reports from this cruise with that in mind, for all intents and purposes, the ship "appears" to be fully operational, as long as they don't need more than 21.5 mph. At times even the two wakes appeared to be identical.

Theron

I am booked on the EOS in July. I guess everything should be OK by then. There was a big price drop Friday evening the went back up Saturday morning. I am booked through a TA and could not get a hold of her. Next time I am going to book another cabin on the same cruise at the lower rate then cancel the original one if I cannot get a hold on my TA in time. I lost out on a 360.00 decrease per cabin and I am pissed I waited. I called RCCL and she said that the price should be the same still on Monday. Not true. I'm hoping with the bad publicity with all that happened with the EOS that they temporarily lower the price again. :mad:

We were out of state for a furneral. In our hotel, my husband decided to check the site. We saw a drop of about $200 per person. We called RCCL and they said it was a resident drop (we are from Maryland). We had paid our cruise so we were given a refund on our cc. It helped because we had to spend some money this weekend.

Our first cruise we did through a TA but now we do them ourselves so we can make changes when needed.

We were out of state for a funeral. In our hotel, my husband decided to check the site. We saw a drop of about $200 per person. We called RCCL and they said it was a resident drop (we are from Maryland). We had paid our cruise so we were given a refund on our cc. It helped because we had to spend some money this weekend.

Our first cruise we did through a TA but now we do them ourselves so we can make changes when needed.

read52:

I'm happy that you were able to get the refund. If you are on the July 12th cruise, we have a roll call going on at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1509312

If this is you cruise also come and join us. If not look for the Roll Call for you rspecific cruise. You will not be sorry.

Just back from the Enchantment "Engine Trouble" cruise. One of the best cruises we've ever been on (can you say free?). In spite of the difficulties, we had a ball. When they first announced the delay in departure due to engine trouble, DH and I remarked that a nine-day Port of Baltimore cruise would be OK with us!. Kudos to RCCL for their actions and to those who intimated that sailing "as is" was somehow unsafe: RIDICULOUS! The US Coast Guard was involved from the first and never would have given clearance if that was the case. We followed the Captain's announcements with interest but never were concerned about safety.

Oh well, today it's back to work for us so Bon Voyage to all future Enchantment cruisers.

Harry

I've seen it already posted, the Captain did say that the motor in question had been restored to 65% of "normal".

I would not expect him to make any announcements on this current cruise about it, because unless it degrades, it won't have any affect on them at all.

It will be important to filter any reports from this cruise with that in mind, for all intents and purposes, the ship "appears" to be fully operational, as long as they don't need more than 21.5 mph. At times even the two wakes appeared to be identical.

Theron

The Captain's announcement you're referring was made a day or two before the last cruise ended. Someone sailing on the 2/27 cruise posted on 2/26 that they spoke to an RCCL customer service rep who advised that a part was being flown in and she/he did not know when the ship would be repaired or running again at full power.

Bottom line no one on CC knows for certain that the repair has been completed and if power has been restored at 100%. Until RCCL or the Captain makes a n official announcement everything is all speculation at this point. What we do know is the US Coast would not have allowed the ship to leave port if there was concern. As you stated the change in itinerary does not require high speads. Wish I were on the 2/27 cruise as really like the intinerary due to the change. Am looking forward to be on the EN 4/19 cruise.

The Captain's announcement you're referring was made a day or two before the last cruise ended. Someone sailing on the 2/27 cruise posted on 2/26 that they spoke to an RCCL customer service rep who advised that a part was being flown in and she/he did not know when the ship would be repaired or running again at full power.

Bottom line no one on CC knows for certain that the repair has been completed and if power has been restored at 100%. Until RCCL or the Captain makes a n official announcement everything is all speculation at this point. What we do know is the US Coast would not have allowed the ship to leave port if there was concern. As you stated the change in itinerary does not require high speads. Wish I were on the 2/27 cruise as really like the intinerary due to the change. Am looking forward to be on the EN 4/19 cruise.

You are correct, the last word from the Captain was on Saturday, during the Captain's Corner, and then subsequently reported to be heard from him later during the same cruise.

I can say that they did not stop the ship after that point, until we arrived in Baltimore (not counting the brief time for the medical evacuation), and that I did hear from what I consider to be the most credible of sources on the ground that additional technicians did arrive on Monday morning.

We have seen ample evidence to show beyond any doubt that RCCL customer service is absolutely unreliable.

The point I'm trying to make is that until we hear from a directly attributable source on the scene, there is no way to know the status until the change or lack of change of itinerary for the March 10 cruise becomes known.

Theron

• 2 weeks later...

Archived