Using a Nook

lovezepplin

In a pinch you can use a large clean ziploc style bag - although I recommend a true waterproof case. Unfortunately Guardian doesn't make the one I use anymore.

Thank you for the link. I Just now ordered one for my Kindle. Going to Alaska where it gets kinda wet.:p

Do not try to use your Nook for e-mail. I tried, and was told by the ship internet personnel that the Nook is not compatible with the ship setup.

Well, that doesn't sound right. It's android based. That really shouldn't matter, though. Android phones work well for checking mail, if you want to pay the freight. The Nook Tablet is still android based, just a beefed up version of the Nook Color, I think.

I occasionally do webmail on my nook at home. It's fabulous for a quick check. I wouldn't do it all the time.

The only issue I can see is with logging off the ship's WI-FI. Make sure you've actively logged off. I'd not download books while on a cruise. Not that patient.

When I'm using my nook on a ship, the WI-FI is totally turned off. You do have to actively log on to the ship's Wi-FI. I'm not sure you can just magically end up on it unknowingly.

It's worth trying when you get on board.

To whomever suggested a waterproof cover--thanks. I never even thought to look for one!

To whomever suggested a waterproof cover--thanks. I never even thought to look for one!

You're very welcome! I might even take my chances sitting in a shallow end of the pool with it (I have a warranty that will cover accidents like dropping in the water just in case) It would be my take on reading in the bathtub. :)

Just to reiterate what a few others have mentioned: load it up before you go. Don't count on the ship's wi-fi. It is so slow as to be nearly unusable. I have free minutes as part of being Platinum, and on our last cruise I barely made a dent in them!

I have a Samsung Galaxy tablet & I love it! Books, movies, TV shows, email, web surfing -- it does it all! My favorite cruise-related thing is that it lets me cruise almost paperless. I store my hotel confirmations, travel insurance info, emergency phone numbers, port guides, tour instructions & more -- everything that used to get printed & lugged along in a bright red Travel folder is now in an electronic Travel folder on my tablet!

I think the nook browser may have some issues with the sessions mode the ships wifi system uses for authentication. It's in the category of may work but don't depend on it..

Well, that doesn't sound right. It's android based. That really shouldn't matter, though. Android phones work well for checking mail, if you want to pay the freight. The Nook Tablet is still android based, just a beefed up version of the Nook Color, I think.

I occasionally do webmail on my nook at home. It's fabulous for a quick check. I wouldn't do it all the time.

The only issue I can see is with logging off the ship's WI-FI. Make sure you've actively logged off. I'd not download books while on a cruise. Not that patient.

When I'm using my nook on a ship, the WI-FI is totally turned off. You do have to actively log on to the ship's Wi-FI. I'm not sure you can just magically end up on it unknowingly.

It's worth trying when you get on board.

I'm a new Kindle Fire owner. Do they need the anti-glare sheet? Still trying to learn to maneuver around it.

Take it outside on a bright sunny day and see if you can still read it. I have used mine but find a shady spot. yes there is glare but i positioned it so I could read it. Have not tried the anti glare sheet but some say it distorts the letters somewhat but does work. Really enjoyed mine on the Island Princess in February as it gave me a number of books to read.

Be aware of one problem that has cropped up on the KF since their last update. Sometimes when you go to open a book it will try to re download it again. When it asks you hit "Cancel", turn of your KF and then turn it back on. Wait a minute or so then try to open your book. This worked for me several times. If you tell it to download then it wipes out what is already on there. Hopefully Amazon will have that problem fixed shortly.

Also despite what Amazon says you can, by a sideloading/ othter process, load books from Barnes and Noble. Let me know if you want to know how. Check you local library to see if they have a digital media capability.

Enjoy you KF as much as I enjoy mine.

Take it outside on a bright sunny day and see if you can still read it. I have used mine but find a shady spot. yes there is glare but i positioned it so I could read it. Have not tried the anti glare sheet but some say it distorts the letters somewhat but does work. Really enjoyed mine on the Island Princess in February as it gave me a number of books to read.

Be aware of one problem that has cropped up on the KF since their last update. Sometimes when you go to open a book it will try to re download it again. When it asks you hit "Cancel", turn of your KF and then turn it back on. Wait a minute or so then try to open your book. This worked for me several times. If you tell it to download then it wipes out what is already on there. Hopefully Amazon will have that problem fixed shortly.

Also despite what Amazon says you can, by a sideloading/ othter process, load books from Barnes and Noble. Let me know if you want to know how. Check you local library to see if they have a digital media capability.

Enjoy you KF as much as I enjoy mine.

Thanks for the suggestion. Haven't had that problem with downloads yet. My library has the ebooks for Kindle for a 21 day checkout. I do all the checkout process on my desktop and then it only takes a few seconds to download on the Kindle after I turn it on. Wonder if the book was already checked out and sitting on my amazon account, if the book would download that fast while cruising.

Hi,

Was on the Ruby two weeks ago. I received 150 free minutes as a Platinum member. I logged in via my Galaxy Tab to check e-mails and check hometown news. Reception in my cabin (Dolphin starboard aft quarter) was very good.

Speeds were better than I remember just two years ago. Not blazing, but my subjective experience was the speed was similar or a bit faster than dial-up a few years ago. I did download a book; it was slow, but not painful.

At the end of the 7-day cruise I still had over 70 minutes remaining.

Princess also has a video segment on one of the ship's channels about the complexities of satellite internet service. Kinda interesting.

Hope this helps ...

Ron

Archived