So Chair Hogs dont have rights?

JPTexan82

Alot of you on here are selfish and dont car about other people's stuff, dont worry it will happen to all you once or twice at some point.

JP, if *you* don't care about your stuff, why should anyone else ? Leaving your personal items lying around for hours unattended doesn't scream "caring about my stuff". And to clarify, no one suggested damaging your items or stealing them, just moving them.

Just lack of CLASS by alot of you, thats why you sail Carnival.

You keep saying that... then your signature shows you are booked on Carnival in 2 months... I don't get it...

Alot of you on here are selfish and dont car about other people's stuff, dont worry it will happen to all you once or twice at some point. Just lack of CLASS by alot of you, thats why you sail Carnival.

LOL.... Really??

Who is the selfish one here?? The one who insists that a chair should be theirs despite leaving their belongings unattended for an extended period of time?? Or maybe it's the person who spends 20+ pages justifying their behavior to get their own way??

Not caring about others belongings??? Seriously?? If someone such as yourself cared about YOUR belongings you wouldn't leave them lying around unattended in the first place... I hardly feel that I should give more of a damn about your crap than you do... That's what mothers are for... When you're twelve!

After reading or should I say scanning this thread, it makes me glad I'm cruising to Alaska. I don't think I will have to worry about chair hogs.:p

Nope, just Lido deck window hogs...

As a disabled military retiree, I can safely so that I know of NO disabled veteran (including myself) that would ever expect preferential treatment or to have any rule bent because of my status. I can't say there aren't veterans like that but I've never met one!

Possibly the guy from the military discount thread who told us that non-retirees (or non-disabled vets?) were STEALING the military rate if they didn't have some form that wasn't a DD214.

Well, we werent gone more than 30 minutes and I do think that anyone who would do that to a kid is a "bully". I am thinking that you probably wouldn't do it to some big, burly, tatooed guy drinking Jack Daniels. This particular "bully" asked about the chairs, my kid said they were taken and the took the chairs anyway. She gathered the stuff and went to find me, visibly upset. I would have made an issue about it, but decided that it wasnt worth it and just found other chairs elsewhere. The "facts" are that these "bullies" had no idea how long I was gone and didnt really care that my kid said I would be back. Do you have kids? If you do, are you really OK with adults shaking them down to give up their chairs?

I would never ever even think about asking a child something like that. I would hope others would not either. It is a shame this conversation has even gotten to this point. The chair hogs know who they are. I have been lucky and only had a problem one time and that was finding a chair around the adult pool. I hope for once a chair hog has trouble finding a lounge chair and not me.

I wouldn't touch the property of another passenger but think the ships crew should enforce their own rules and remove the items themselves but we all know them for the cowards that they are with this and other issues such as kids in adult pools.:cool:

Ok, after reading this thread, I have come up with an idea....I cruise in 18 days, I will be happy to be a warm-butt seat holder for you .... I will charge you $50/hour and I will be your personal chair hog. I think there is some money in this!

[...]

Ok, I'm only joking people!

Quite seriously my son and I would be up for that for a lot less than $50 per hour!

Really economic measures should be used to alleviate such problems. I've read about cruise ships offering a private courtyard for people in the more expensive suites and ships offering reserved tents for people who pay extra. Allowing people to pay extra for such things means that people who want to be entitled to it can legitimately do so by paying extra and also means that people who decide not to pay the extra will know that they aren't entitled because they didn't pay.

What the chair hogs need to keep in mind is the fact that one could design a cruise ship with enough chairs for everyone and enough buffet lines that there is never a queue, etc (which probably has been done with some of the 6 star ships) but it would be a much more expensive cruise as the number of passengers on the ship would be a lot smaller. The resources are limited because the passengers get better prices, now if all the passengers could share then it would be pleasant for everyone.

Another thing, the cruise ship should offer pool deck waiters. CHOGS claim that they are entitled to leave their chair reserved to go get food etc. If they had the option of having a waiter bring them all manner of food and refreshments to their chair for a small fee then they would have no excuse.

Because of the fact that there are all these faux reservations, there is congestion in the actual seats that are available. When there is congestion, people get antsy (think about waiting in rush hour or during road construction). This spurs others into dishing out the vigilante justice because they wanted to have a seat 10 minutes ago.

Here's the solution to the problem: Just remove all the towels at random intervals in the wee hours of the morning. It's pretty obvious when there is no one enjoying the pool or hot tub. If someone just left to grab breakfast, then too bad. They can eat breakfast and then get a seat on the deck. That in itself should solve some of the problem. Of course, you would still have the people grabbing a seat, sitting for a while and then sauntering off for who knows how long, which is why you would also need to announce every few hours that there will be a swabbing of the deck, so to speak, and any unattended objects will be removed for the chairs.

Good idea. Instead of the current rule that a chair can be empty for no more than 30 minutes they could "swab the deck" every half hour. That's regular enough that no sane person would want to return from the far end of the ship every 30 minutes to keep their reservation but leaves plenty of time for toilet breaks, swimming, etc.

Well, we werent gone more than 30 minutes and I do think that anyone who would do that to a kid is a "bully". I am thinking that you probably wouldn't do it to some big, burly, tatooed guy drinking Jack Daniels. This particular "bully" asked about the chairs, my kid said they were taken and the took the chairs anyway. She gathered the stuff and went to find me, visibly upset. I would have made an issue about it, but decided that it wasnt worth it and just found other chairs elsewhere. The "facts" are that these "bullies" had no idea how long I was gone and didnt really care that my kid said I would be back. Do you have kids? If you do, are you really OK with adults shaking them down to give up their chairs?

Yes, I have kids. My kids know right from wrong and how to shout for help when threatened. Don't make the assumption that people don't know how long you are gone. People are always sitting in chairs that they don't really want but are available at the time they get there, waiting for someone in a "good" chair to be empty for 30 minutes so they can move. I've done that myself and will continue to do so. Chair hogs don't care about others so why should people care about chair hogs??

If I see a pool chair in the sun, no one having used it for 30 minutes, I pickup the stuff, put it on another chair in the shade or on a table , and use the chair. When they return, I plead ignorance. Who cares?

Hmmmm, not sure how I feel about that. What if those items belonged to disable Vet or handicap person?

I'm both, so the answer is:

"Go ahead and move my crap, because my right to a lounger is no more than anyone else's."

Next question.

I have came to find out there are alot of good point of views. But everything has a cause and effect, its a two way street. So if you do something bad to someone it comes back on you 10 fold, I like to think.

Alot of you on here are selfish and dont car about other people's stuff, dont worry it will happen to all you once or twice at some point. Just lack of CLASS by alot of you, thats why you sail Carnival.

It's comments like these that cause many on here to label you as a troll. If you don't want to sail with CCL you don't have to sail with CCL, no one is forcing you. Two other comments 1) in 90% or more of chairhog cases we aren't talking about someone's personal effects, we are talking about a towel (that belongs to the cruise line;)) and 2) the reaction to chairhogs on this forum is consistent with the reaction to chairhogs on the RCCL and NCL forums as well (and I would posit across all of the lines where the cruise lines don't enforce the policy).

Yes, I have kids. My kids know right from wrong and how to shout for help when threatened. Don't make the assumption that people don't know how long you are gone. People are always sitting in chairs that they don't really want but are available at the time they get there, waiting for someone in a "good" chair to be empty for 30 minutes so they can move. I've done that myself and will continue to do so. Chair hogs don't care about others so why should people care about chair hogs??

OK, so your kids I guess would have jumped up and screamed "HEY THEY ARE TAKING MY CHAIR!!!" and I am sure that after reading most of the comments on here that some random adult would have come to her defense.... NOT!. And what do you mean "good" chair? These chairs werent even near the pool, as I can almost never get a chair by the pool. My kids know right from wrong and they are very respectful of adults. And as for making assumptions, they didnt have to assume, my kid TOLD them that we were coming back, we were NOT gone for longer than 30 minutes, you are assuming that we were hogging chairs, when we were just trying to enjoy our vacation that we worked and paid for, just like everyone else.

My daughter is all grown up now and she knows not to let bigger, stronger people intimidate her and will stand up for herself now, but at 12 years old she was 5' tall and weighed about 90 pounds, she was an easy target. I STILL consider the person who did this to be a bully and nothing that you say will change my mind. You can try to justify your position that the person who did this was correct, however, I will never agree because I think that adults should have kids backs and try to care for them, even strangers kids, not take advantage of them and scare them. Rules or no rules.

One last thing, I have been on many many cruises, with and without my kids and even though there have been plenty of times that we couldn't find chairs, we never once moved someone's stuff or threatened someone's kid just to have a place to plant ourselves. Chair hogs annoy me, but I think we have a different definition of chair hog, I dont consider someone who gets a chair and puts their stuff down and goes into the pool a hog. The only "hogs" I have a problem with are the ones who get up at 6:00 to set up their towels on a row of chairs next to the pool.

To tell you the truth until I came on these boards, I never even really thought about it, always just found a chair wherever I could, now I see some people really obsess over it, too bad to have to worry about such a trivial thing on your vacation. That's one of the reasons I ddnt make an issue out of it when the incident happened, life is too short to fight with someone over a chair.

I have a great plan so i dont break any of your chair hog police rules. We are going on are next cruise as a group of 12. so i figure at around 6 the two boys will pick out 12 choice seats and set up camp. then sit in two chairs and every 5 minutes move over 2 chairs so that no 2 chairs will not be sat in for 30 minutes . then around 11 or so we will all make it down to the pool to enjoy are great view of all the action. I will at least feel alittle better that we didnt break any of the rules. happy cruising

You know what going to result from this blog? A Carnival executive is going to read this and come up with the idea that if we had a special section for some select pool chairs, we could put a fence around them and charge $5.00 and hour to use them. You would get a ticket and a guard at the gate would make sure no one took your place if you left your chair. The lounge chair were have brighter colors and a place to hold drinks. Now let's see: $5.00 times 4 hours times times 2 people times 365 days times 20 years. Yikes! It's a gold mine!

It seems like chair hogs are the same type of person who smuggles liquor on board because they are too cheap to pay for it.

Wow it sounds like you have done both before. Are you Guility of that? You know you dont need that much mouth wash for a 4 day cruise.

Archived