Diamonds International thoughts

servicejoe

A friend of mine, in the know, once called jewelry insurance a scam where everyone wins (kind of). So here is the thing. Lets say you get a ring appraised at $10,000. The outfit that does the appraisal gets paid by the consumer and is happy and the consumer is happy because they have an official appraisal. The consumer then submits this to his/her insurance company and they happily insure the ring for $10,000 and charge you a premium based on a percentage of the high appraised value. Now, suppose you lose that ring or its stolen. The insurance company buys you a replacement (save size and quality) for about $5000 and gives you the replacement. So you are happy because your ring was replaced. But, for many years you were paying insurance based on $10,000 ...not $5000. But the fine print in the policy always said the insurance company had the option to replace the ring rather then pay the $10,000. So, the next time a jeweler gives you an appraisal, ask how much they would be willing to pay for that item. It's an eye opener.

Hank

• 4 weeks later...
Do it at home with your local jeweler.

I do not recomend it. My daughter bought a ring from them.She picked out the Diamond & the setting.She asked if it might be too high because she is very rough with jewelry and did not want it to high.They assured her it would be fine.They said they would deliver it before the ship sailed which they did. By the time she got it we were sailing. It was way to high and looked awful.

They said any problem they have a store in N.Y. Fine, it was not a store just a Phone# Call CC and all kinds of probles for over a year and a half.So I do not have any faith in them even though the ship backs them up,yah sure they do.:eek:

I lost my original engagement ring, and it was insured. Using the $10,000 example, I could either get $7500 cash to replace it, or go to one of the insurance company's approved jewelers and get a ring appraised at $10,000 (which is what I did).

I still think that it is worth it to insure expensive jewelry -- had I not had the ring listed as "scheduled property", the insurance would only have paid $1,000.

I have read many stories here on CC where people bought jewelry at Diamonds Internation, Royal Caribbean, etc -- got a certificate from the store indicating the value of the purchase.

But when they got home -- had the items reappraised for insurance purposes -- the value was less than what they paid.

Shop around at home.

I think some of the things mentioned are valid and need to be taken into consideration. I also believe several "key" points have been over looked.

First I definitely agree that DI is not the place to purchase. For the most part I believe that holds true for many of the ship approved stores. However that is really a gross generalization. If you know your product and your price there are items and prices that are in fact "good deals." When it comes to jewerly an additional thing to consider are companies that are known to be quality operations for ex; Cardows in St Thomas.

You must also factor in what a "good deal" means to any one individual. It isn't always about the "best price." To me a "good deal" is about finding something I really like at a price I am comfortable with. Perhaps in this case the excitement of purchasing the engagement ring on the cruise combined with the idea that it is a ring she really loves and at a price they are comfortable with makes it a "good deal" for them. Plus the selection in the islands is so much better than in the states. Buying a ring is not like purchasing a watch or a camera. There is no guarantee that you will find the same piece at your local jeweler or that in fact it will truly be at a better price.

Rather then telling them to purchase locally instead of in the islands(not saying this is not good info) I would like to suggest to the OP that he go online and find out which jewelry stores are located in the ports of call and then do some research on those stores looking for their selling and quality history. Pick the best 2 or 3 in each port and look for that special ring!

My wife and I have purchased quite a bit of jewelry in the islands. Both of us have a strong knowledge of stones, gold and silver. We have never been disppointed with a purchase and never tried to find any of it here in the states to compare prices. We liked the piece(s) and felt the price(s) was fair and made the purchase........thus making them a "good deal."

Hope it all works out for you!!

We bought my wedding band at Diamonds International in Cozumel. Believe it or not, it's actually much better quality than my engagement ring from Kay Jewelers. I love it and I would absolutely buy jewelry from there again.

I'm a senior male and I buy all my diamond rings from a local pawn shop. I've delt with one particular shop for a number of years and think I get pretty good deals on whatever I buy.

Don't discount having a custom ring made by a local manufacturing jeweler. That's what we did. I truly have a one-of-a-kind, it's exactly what I wanted, and it cost no more than buying one "off the shelf." Actually it probably cost less because this shop wasn't in a fancy mall with fancy sales people making commissions but rather in a building you'd never take a second look at. The salesman was the guy who made the ring, and the owner of the business.

It's also important to note that one of the reasons Diamond International seems to come across as being so reputable and appears to be such a good deal is that it pays the cruiselines to promote them. It also gives a kick back percentage of all sales back to the Shopping Excurison's Director, as do any other stores on the cruiselines recommended shopping list.

When making a purchase the shop always ask for your cruise ship name and cabin number in such a way to make it appear their do so to give you the best possible deal. Instead this information is used to keep track of the sales that qualify for the kickback to the Shopping Excursion Director for that cruise. If you doubt me, just stay in town and wait until about 1 hour or so before you need to be back to the ship and you'll see the shore excursion director running around to collect his/her money. Just as tips are how the waiters make his/her salary, percentage of sales is how the shopping excursion personnel make theirs.

Why pay inflated prices ? Purchase back at home.

Archived