Concordia customers suing for all of this money, be happy your alive!!!

LittleMiss

they find out about your personal life? how does that happen on an anonymous message board, I wonder? through personal info on a sig maybe? through individual postings from the poster themselves? through posting personal pix? through a cruise countdown clock?

I dont know but the only way I know anything about a poster is through their own posted/uploaded info. That is of course if I believe any of that info!LOL

I myself am a retired army/commercial airline pilot living in Alaska with my family now...and we raise sled dogs...and DH was a petroleum engineer for the pipeline... just sayin'...and happy to share that info btw...no big deal to me.

Then they start stalking your profile and talking about other things you have said on other threads unrelated to this one and even start participating in those just to taunt you because you have a different view.... Be careful

Since I have quite a drive to and from work every day I am going to start recording license plates of people that almost kill me every day and sue them for negligence :mad:.....I only put that because how many of us have had our lives pass before our eyes or had a life or death experience? I know I have had a couple close calls in my 40 years. The most recent is my husband and I were leaving a poker game and our light turned green. Out of the corner of my eye I see something and just yell to my husband "don't move" and thank god he didn't as a car came through the intersection at about 50-60 miles an hour. My husband didn't see it coming. We would have surely been killed or severely injured. We were glad to be alive. The only thing my husband mentioned is had I not been in the car he would have followed the guy and beat his a$$. Negligence is ALL around us.

Wow I so said the same thing like 1 billion posts ago :rolleyes:

Actually, someone posted a snopes article on the case and it contained all of these facts that you just stated, as do a million other articles.

I do not see how you stating this changes the fact that some would sue for this and some wouldn't. Just because the courts found McDonalds liable doesn't mean that every individual feels they would hold them liable. Some people take responsibility for ALL of their actions and some only take responsibility when it is in their favor. In this mindset, I am sure not EVERY person that was on the Concordia will sue, some will take the settlement and be happy, but others will sue and wants it all...it depends on the person. You don't need to know the FACTS to know what one person would do, you just need to know the facts to know what YOU would do. Just because we don't agree with it doesn't make it right or wrong, that is the wonderful things about opinions...we all have one and no one can take it away from us...

Preach!! :D

It took me all of two minutes to find more information about a poster than anyone should be able to access.....AND I just typed in two first names...:eek:

I am now changing a few security settings. I also have removed access to photos on photo sharing sites, etc.

Sad to say, there are cyber stalkers.

I know this is off topic, but since the issue of personal information was brought up, I thought I would see just what a person could find out with minimal information. Got my answer..TOO MUCH.

Great look out, thanks for the info!

It took me all of two minutes to find more information about a poster than anyone should be able to access.....AND I just typed in two first names...:eek:

I am now changing a few security settings. I also have removed access to photos on photo sharing sites, etc.

Sad to say, there are cyber stalkers.

I know this is off topic, but since the issue of personal information was brought up, I thought I would see just what a person could find out with minimal information. Got my answer..TOO MUCH.

It is scary what you can find out about people via the internet...the only bad part is that the information is not always accurate. As far as pictures, well, my old boss used to tell me...don't do anything that you woudn't want on the front page of the newspaper. Here's hoping that he and I read different newspapers! ;)

Oh, and if you find a picture of me and want to post it or pass it along, that is fine, just make sure it doesn't make me look fat! :D

Apparently you don't seem to know all the facts. Here's what you probably didn't know:

After the incident the 79 year old lady in question sought to settle with McDonald's for $20,000 to cover her actual and anticipated expenses. Her total medical expenses were $10,500; her anticipated future medical expenses were approximately $2,500; and her loss of income was approximately $5,000 for a total of approximately $18,000.

Instead, McDonald's offered her only $800. When McDonald's refused to raise its offer, she retained an attorney who filed suit and asked for $90,000. McDonald's also refused that offer to settle. At this point the attorney decided it was time to punish McDonald's and took them to court.

After trial, the jury awarded her $200,000 in compensatory damages, which was then reduced by 20% to $160,000. In addition, they awarded her $2.7 million in punitive damages. The jurors arrived at this figure from her attorney's suggestion to penalize McDonald's for one or two days' worth of coffee revenues, which were about $1.35 million per day. The judge reduced punitive damages to $480,000 for a total of $640,000. The decision was appealed by both the lady and McDonald's in December 1994, but the parties settled out of court for an undisclosed amount.

Sorry to hijack this thread but I just wanted to point out all the facts regarding this case.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming!

Again, I actually do know ALL of this. None of this is news to me and none of this changes how I feel about it. McDonalds didn't spill the coffee on her. Some people say that McDonalds apologized and said they were in the wrong. Did anyone ever think that there are PR departments who all the time convince people to admit they were wrong even if they don't believe they were? It happens all the time.

I didn't mean to turn this into a McD's fight. I just intended to say that what the passengers of Concordia were offered in comparison to what the McD's woman got... seems laughable. That's it.

Sorry, OP but I completely disagree with you. These folks deserve more than a free cruise for all they went through. This was gross negligence followed by complete ineptness that put every single passenger and crew member in grave danger. I too would sue in this situation.

I totally agree. These people lived a nightmare that may cause emotional problems for years to come.

I might feel different if it had been an accident, but we all know that was not the case.

Could not disagree more. It was not a huge deal and most of the passneger have been offered more than they are entitled to receive, including replacement of all lost goods, return of fare, return home paid for plus $15,000 on top of that.

For anyone to claim that their lives were in gross danger is laughable.

I can't believe I just read this. :rolleyes:

Now how many of those uninjured people really came on board with $14,000 worth of belongings? At most I would say 3-7 thousand dollars tops...that's generally what the average state room would have.

How many of those people came aboard the ship feeling secure with emotions in tack? 99% maybe. How many left feeling secure, unemotional, and untramatized 0%.

I was on a plane that was hijacked in 1971. Our pilot was stabbed. I still have nightmares. There is no way to know how this disaster will effect their llives for years to come.

Could not disagree more. It was not a huge deal and most of the passneger have been offered more than they are entitled to receive, including replacement of all lost goods, return of fare, return home paid for plus $15,000 on top of that.

For anyone to claim that their lives were in gross danger is laughable.

The only people who are going to get anything out of this incident are the attorneys, who by the time it is over in about 15 years will take well over half of what is awarded to the passengers.

For anyone to claim that their lives were in gross danger is laughable???!!!???!!!??? Seriously!? Tell that to the mothers, sons, daughters, fathers, brothers, uncles, grandparents and friends of the many lives that were taken as a result of this tragedy! Are you frickin kidding me? Wow!!!!

I wouldn't wish this tragedy on my worst enemy but I wish you could have been there fighting gravity against a listing ship, trying to climb up to safety in darkness while water started closing in around you, trapping you in a corridor... trying to lower yourself in a lifeboat that won't move and having to get out of that lifeboat hoping you'll make it to another one while the ship continues to go further underneath the water. Perhaps you would feel very differently.

Yes, 1/2 the ship still remains out of the water to this day and yes it's a tragedy that people didn't know the ship wasn't going to fully sink for had they known, they could have just went up to the top and sat and awaited rescue. But their lives were definitely in grave danger.

You're telling me that woman's coffee burns looked like this? If so, you would make a great reporter for the New York Times.

Of course it didn't...that is not a liquid burn, that is an electrical burn, add a few more hundred degrees...

Funny that this thread exists. My wife has a serious fear of water and only cruises because I love it so much. As soon as she heard the initial discussion of compensation from concordia of something like 12000 and a free cruise, she balked at it. She says if they ever have to roll out the lifeboats on a cruise she is on, they are seriously in for it as she will be truely traumatized.

Funny that this thread exists. My wife has a serious fear of water and only cruises because I love it so much. As soon as she heard the initial discussion of compensation from concordia of something like 12000 and a free cruise, she balked at it. She says if they ever have to roll out the lifeboats on a cruise she is on, they are seriously in for it as she will be truely traumatized.

Better to have to break out the lifeboats than have something happen to make them unavailable, put me on a lifeboat ANYDAY over having to jump in the water and wait it out there!

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason she is afraid of water? Did she almost drown or is she afraid of sharks?

The press releases from insurance companies indicate that the expected payout for the Costa Concordia incident is expected to be $850 Million. Of this amount, $545M is for the value of the ship, $205M for the environmental cleanup & ship salvage, and $100 Million for passenger third party liability.

There were approx 3200 passengers on the Concordia. Carnival Corp had a $10M deductible for third party liability, this yields a total of $110 million that the industry expects to use to pay the 3200 passengers. Note that the crew is not included on these policies because they are actually hired via third party contracting agencies with separate insurance policies (insurance payout valued at $3.5M) and arbitration agreements.

This leads to $110 million divided by 3200 passengers =

an average of $34,375 per passenger payout

The reality is that the families of deceased passengers will get more, let's say each deceased individual's family was provided $1 million for each of the 32 victims for a total of $32 million. Subtract this from the top line to give the following for the survivors (110M - 32M = 78M):

$78 Million divided by 3200 equals $24,375 per survivor.

Note that refunds for the cruise are not covered by liability insurance, but flights home/hotel are (let's say $1500 per passenger).

This means that the insurance industry expect the direct liability payout to each passenger to be $22,875

This, of course, is more than the $14,000 being offered by Costa/Carnival Corp in the settlement offer. Which means that the passengers are being low-balled based on what the insurance industry expects to payout.

italianfemmy-You might want to check your first sentence. ;)

I don't get it? And whatever it is, I no longer have the ability to edit my post...

Oh I guess I used a word that is the same as a bad word. Sorry. I can't delete it at this point. I don't think it's a bad word any more than I think Shucks is a bad word though.... Hopefully I won't get into trouble as using vulgar language wasn't my intent.

Archived