Concordia customers suing for all of this money, be happy your alive!!!

LittleMiss

The facts of that case make it a viable lawsuit...unfortunately too many people dont understand facts and just follow the crowd and honestly believe that was a frivolous lawsuit....which couldnt be more wrong....mcd served scalding coffee.....they were negligent..coffee is not served scalding hot..because that makes it dangerous

Oh facts. Honestly it is how I FEEL about it that makes the difference. :rolleyes:

One of our modern urban legends and I really thought a bit of a reality check was in order.

Hi, Fish Taco,

I did not know that Aussies like fish tacos.

It seems that Yanks R the Most Litigious members of society. It would be interesting to know the percentages of the nationalities that R suing. Anybody Google this?

Kill all the Lawyers (except for my GrandBaby - first year UCLA School of Law, Major: Sports Law).

Well, considering Americans made up a very small percentage of the passengers on this cruise, I'd say you really can't blame us this time, now can you?

Just saying...

Andy

Well, considering Americans made up a very small percentage of the passengers on this cruise, I'd say you really can't blame us this time, now can you?

Just saying...

Andy

I wonder how this reputation began? Facts seem to contradict it, not that they have made a difference.

OK- Hot Coffee. this is one of the urban legends here in the US, often used as an example of frivolous law suits. In fact, there was indeed merit to this case as shown by the court and also McDonalds.

I don't think it's the merits of case that upsets people. People, including me, think the compensation was ridiculous. That's why that case is so notorious.

The facts of that case make it a viable lawsuit...unfortunately too many people dont understand facts and just follow the crowd and honestly believe that was a frivolous lawsuit....which couldnt be more wrong....mcd served scalding coffee.....they were negligent..coffee is not served scalding hot..because that makes it dangerous

Absolutely, it was wrong. But at the same time, they made it so hot because people that added a lot of cream it would become cold, or people that had a commute into work, by the time they got there it would be hot. They make it too hot and someone gets burnt and sues, yet if you spilled boiling water on yourself at home it would be your fault...

Someone is going to complain about coffee being too hot and they get burned or someone is going to complain about it being too cold and they couldn't drink it. This is just society and there is NOTHING that we can do to make something right for everyone. And yes, I have spilled hot tea on myself from DD(which almost still has bubbles in it from being boiled) and burned myself and still have a scar, but I didn't sue, I spilled it, not them.

Just saying...

Andy

Hey man don't let some pesky facts get int the way of someones stereotyping. lol

I agree with your point and am glad you highlighted it. and IMHO the whole damn world is getting sue happy.

I don't think it's the merits of case that upsets people. People, including me, think the compensation was ridiculous. That's why that case is so notorious.

The burned woman got less than 500 grand....did you read the provided link or are you still believing all the myths that surround this lawsuit?

Just saying...

Andy

Actually you can blame us, because all of the lawyers that are jumping all over these class action law suits are american lawyers trying to get an exception to get this tried in the US instead of Italy...

Absolutely, it was wrong. But at the same time, they made it so hot because people that added a lot of cream it would become cold, or people that had a commute into work, by the time they got there it would be hot. They make it too hot and someone gets burnt and sues, yet if you spilled boiling water on yourself at home it would be your fault...

Someone is going to complain about coffee being too hot and they get burned or someone is going to complain about it being too cold and they couldn't drink it. This is just society and there is NOTHING that we can do to make something right for everyone. And yes, I have spilled hot tea on myself from DD(which almost still has bubbles in it from being boiled) and burned myself and still have a scar, but I didn't sue, I spilled it, not them.

Did you as well read the link provided by waldo? Think not

The burned woman got less than 500 grand....did you read the provided link or are you still believing all the myths that surround this lawsuit?

Less than Half a Million Dollars? The horror! What would she have gotten if she spilled coffee on herself at home and burned herself? Ugh...ZERO. Just because the coffee was too hot doesn't mean that we don't have to take responsibility for our actions...she put it between her legs to add cream and sugar and spilled in into her lap...SHE SPILLED IT...they didn't spill it on her, it wasn't a defective cup...

I think she should have gotten her medical bills taken care of a maybe a little extra, but the pain and suffering she should have to eat...the cause might have been the coffee was too hot, but the effect was she burned herself because she spilled it...

No, I did not, that one is blocked by my computer for compromising issues, but I did read it on here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald%27s_Restaurants

Not sure if it is the same but I am going by what I read and it shouldn't differ too much if they are facts.

And considering that I didn't state any sort of facts or anything out of context to the said case in question, why are you questioning if I read it...because I said people would complain either way?

Less than Half a Million Dollars? The horror! What would she have gotten if she spilled coffee on herself at home and burned herself? Ugh...ZERO. Just because the coffee was too hot doesn't mean that we don't have to take responsibility for our actions...she put it between her legs to add cream and sugar and spilled in into her lap...SHE SPILLED IT...they didn't spill it on her, it wasn't a defective cup...

I think she should have gotten her medical bills taken care of a maybe a little extra, but the pain and suffering she should have to eat...the cause might have been the coffee was too hot, but the effect was she burned herself because she spilled it...

The point they were trying to make with this story is that yes she shouldn't have put the coffee between her legs, but McDonald's ADMITTED fault and agreed that it shouldn't have been hot enough to cause third degree Burns. And I believe the amount she received was less than it originally was because they determined she did have some responsibility for the incident?

Fyi Wikipedia is never a credible source IMO. Anyone can edit the information there so it isn't always accurate.

So, when even the company says it was doing something wrong it is every person for themselves. I really don't get this. But never mind.

Haha...that is funny. In the corporation I work for, when I see something that is wrong I make phone calls or submit suggestions to corporate to have them look at it. MOST of my replies are either we will take a look at it and see if there is anything we can change or we know, we agree with you, but this is the way we have to do things. (policies, regulators, whatever the reasoning)

It is always going to be every person for themselves. Did you notice that the lawyer that sued for her has also sued on behalf of several other clients...that is what makes these lawsuits so frivilous. He wins one big one, now advertises that he can do this for you and keeps going after them...referencing this to the Concordia thing, as I have said all along, I do not believe that it is the passengers that are the greedy ones, it will be the lawyers that will keep going and going and going until there is no more money that they can get from Costa...the passengers are entitled to money, the lawyers should not be, not anything that would above their normal fees anyway, but this will not be the case. They know that Costa is a corporation that is tied to CCL, so they will go after BIG money, so they can make BIG money and all at the expense of Costa or CCL or the insurance co or whomever pays it...

No, I did not, that one is blocked by my computer for compromising issues, but I did read it on here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald%27s_Restaurants

Not sure if it is the same but I am going by what I read and it shouldn't differ too much if they are facts.

You did not read a good link...go to the one provided by waldos..much better...

Well, she wouldn't have gotten full thickness third degree burns requiring skin graft surgery.

The point they were trying to make with this story is that yes she shouldn't have put the coffee between her legs, but McDonald's ADMITTED fault and agreed that it shouldn't have been hot enough to cause third degree Burns. And I believe the amount she received was less than it originally was because they determined she did have some responsibility for the incident?

Fyi Wikipedia is never a credible source IMO. Anyone can edit the information there so it isn't always accurate.

You are sounding too reasonable for this thread.....

I think it comes down to this. Some people believe that you should always be responsible for yourself, whether a company causes a problem or not. And other people believe that companies need to be held responsible for their actions and that the societal way we have do doing this is legally. And that the punishment usually is monitary.

To which in the end I say- fine. Those of you who do not wish to sue- don't. But given the benefits you reap on a daily basis from many of the suits (safer cars, safer children's clothing, safer stoves, etc etc etc) please don't be quite so hostile towards those who take legal action.

As it relates to the Concordia- I expect one result of this accident will be that cruise lines will be much more careful about staying on their carefully worked out routes. And they will take greater care in monitoring their captains, and training their staff. And this will not be out of the goodness of their hearts, nor because they care about their customers. It will be because of their bottom line.

You keep saying read this, read that. Reading this and reading that doesn't change my opinion on what's fair. Accept it.

Sorry to ruffle your feathers....but when facts stare me in the face i usually reconsider my initial opinion.....i guess i am alone in being able to understand and appreciate this ability

Archived