Concordia customers suing for all of this money, be happy your alive!!!

LittleMiss

Hi LittleMiss,

I have been reading all of the posts and agreeing with some, completely disagreeing with some...and shaking my head in disbelief at some. :(

Anyway- I just wanted to comment about your post above- about getting them help ASAP. I'm not sure if you are from out of the country or here in USA (not being snide- I noticed that you don't have a location listed)- but here in my area (east coast- Baltimore/DC metro area) the cost of "help" (counseling, possible meds, etc...) should really be taken into consideration. To cover belongings and possible years of therapy- I really don't think $14,000 would even begin to cover it.

I think if some doofus can spill hot coffee in her lap in the drive thru and sue McDonald's for $2.7 million- and WIN (although the amount was appealed and later reduce to around $600k)- that offering $14,000 is not only laughable, but downright insulting.:mad:

Any good negotiator will tell you- start high! So, sue for millions and you'll probably end up with a few hundred K when it's all said and done (after everyone gets their share-)...

Thanks for starting an interesting thread- it's a much better read than how to smuggle booze onboard or if chair hogs have any rights...;)

Take care,

Diana

Thanks Diana:) I am in Jersey so I definitely know the cost. And the cruise should be responsible for any medical accrued. I am more specifically speaking of those suing because they can and not because it's going to change anything.

So let me try to understand, are you complaining that I should have selected my words better... (as per your post below).

or are you amused as per your direct response in the post below.

What is the appropriate therapy for schizophrenia / DID?

I can only come to the conclusion that you are trolling for your own personal amusement.

My first quote was to ruffle your feathers, but after reading it again I became insulted. Now your further insulting me by calling me schizophrenic would I be wrong to call you a bigot based on your post? You really need to let this be...

OK , your first response to this "racial slur post" indicated you considered those actions a "Good Time"

Then you come back with your "racially offensive" speech.

Which is it here ?

As stated before, at first my initial response was in fun and to ruffle feathers. After further examining the post, it was not so fun after all. That happens all the time read something one way then go back and see something different I'm not abnormal it happens to everyone.

I can only come to the conclusion that you are trolling for your own personal amusement.

This I agree with. She clearly has nothing better to do with her time than stir the pot. But I have since blocked her so I don't have to read anymore of her nonsense.

My first quote was to ruffle your feathers, but after reading it again I became insulted. Now your further insulting me by calling me schizophrenic would I be wrong to call you a bigot based on your post? You really need to let this be...

I will agree to let this be, if you agree to let it be and not post further about race on this thread.

If you want to discuss compensation for the victims of the Concordia then let the thread be confined to that subject. I will point out that this entire thread really belongs over in the Costa forum and at this point has a high probability of magically going **poof** due to the off topic posts and likely complaints to moderators.

Yes, that is upsetting, but YOU stated your profession to prove that your opinion has more validity than that of another poster.

I have read many of the posts today. My opinion is that since I did not walk in the shoes of the survivours I don't have the right to suggest what compensation might be appropriate for each individual.

Emi

I stated my profession because I was told I knew nothing of PTSD. Which in my case is not the truth. See what everyone is not seeing is that I'm asked questions so that they get the answers that could fall into their box. Unfortunately I don't fall into the box. I think this is why no one is presuming anything about me any longer

Well, if they were really able to get awarded for that full amount- it is only 12.8 million per person. After lawyers take their 1/3= leaves approx. 8 million per person. And we know that they will never be awarded that full amount- and that Carnival Corp will appeal, appeal, appeal until many years have gone by.

Meanwhile- your medical bills continue to mount, lawyers still want their retainer fees, maybe you have lost your job due to PTSD- until you finally agree to go ahead settle for a portion of what you are entitled to just to make it go away.

And that is normally what the big corporations wanted you to do in the first place...:(

That's an extremity though

Well, if they were really able to get awarded for that full amount- it is only 12.8 million per person. After lawyers take their 1/3= leaves approx. 8 million per person. And we know that they will never be awarded that full amount- and that Carnival Corp will appeal, appeal, appeal until many years have gone by.

Meanwhile- your medical bills continue to mount, lawyers still want their retainer fees, maybe you have lost your job due to PTSD- until you finally agree to go ahead settle for a portion of what you are entitled to just to make it go away.

And that is normally what the big corporations wanted you to do in the first place...:(

That is what the ENTIRE problem is with our legal system...thank god it has little chance of being tried in the US...hopefully Italian lawyers aren't as greedy.

Lets say that they did settle for $538 million. For 39 people that is $13.8 million BEFORE legal fees. At 1/3, the law firm would collect $177 million while each passenger would only receive $9.25 million.

So, best case scenario would be for everyone to go into arbitration with CCL, present their case, see what they can get and leave the lawyers out of it and not let them get a penny.

Not that any of that is going to happen because the class action law suits don't qualify in this case, each case will be tried on a case by case basis which means no lawyer will be able to gouge the system. The passengers and victims may be entitled to millions, but the lawyers are not...

I will agree to let this be, if you agree to let it be and not post further about race on this thread.

If you want to discuss compensation for the victims of the Concordia then let the thread be confined to that subject. I will point out that this entire thread really belongs over in the Costa forum and at this point has a high probability of magically going **poof** due to the off topic posts and likely complaints to moderators.

You said what you said and I left it there. Other attacks warranted my defense on race. Period. If this thread goes "Poof" then fine. But I have always stayed true to the topic and have defended insults and attacks towards me. No one will address that. Nor am I looking for any one to.

You said what you said and I left it there. Other attacks warranted my defense on race. Period. If this thread goes "Poof" then fine. But I have always stayed true to the topic and have defended insults and attacks towards me. No one will address that. Nor am I looking for any one to.

I am sorry you are so upset about those comments. I was quite happy to disregard your comments to me talking to me like a four year old. I am twice your age with twice your experience in the field.

So they should not be paid for all the stuff that they had in their cabin which they will never see again.... jewelry, electronics, clothes, etc. ???

Keep in mind that the $14K is to cover the stuff in their cabin, not really for their time off, pain & suffering, therapy, etc.

Now if they were they offerred back full value for the items lost on the ship plus $14K then I could see a lot more passengers taking the settlement.

I wonder how many passengers travelled solo? You speak of stuff in their cabins. I bet most cabins had 2 passengers even 3. Some might have held 4 passengers. So 2 people would get $29,000 and 3 get $43,500. The group of 4 would receive $58,000. These sums would surely cover the personal belongings

That is what the ENTIRE problem is with our legal system...thank god it has little chance of being tried in the US...hopefully Italian lawyers aren't as greedy.

I completely agree...and honestly I forgot that this isn't even going to be tried here in the US. I'm not sure what the procedure is in Italy, but I'm sure it will take many years to finally be settled. :(

The number of lawsuits in the US per 1000 people in population is MUCH LOWER than many other western nations.

Here is the list.

Country Legal Cases per 1,000 Population

• Germany 123.2

• Sweden 111.2

• Israel 96.8

• Austria 95.9

• U.S.A. 74.5

• UK/England & Wales 64.4

• Denmark 62.5

• Hungary 52.4

• Portugal 40.7

• France 40.3

http://doelegal.blogspot.com/2011/03/global-litigation-rates-us-is-not.html

Comments that the U.S. is the the US is "the most litigious society in the world" and people in the US are "sue happy" are clearly not correct.

The number of lawsuits in the US per 1000 people in population is MUCH LOWER than many other western nations.

Comments that the U.S. is the the US is "the most litigious society in the world" and people in the US are "sue happy" are clearly not correct.

Interesting statistics. We in the US just love to hate ourselves and our fellow countrymen.

But your suing because they put you in danger? That's just greedy and no offense to you but my life is worth more than money. I would just be happy to be alive and compensated for my belongings.

Ummmm....please tell me you're being facetious.

I wonder how many passengers travelled solo? You speak of stuff in their cabins. I bet most cabins had 2 passengers even 3. Some might have held 4 passengers. So 2 people would get $29,000 and 3 get $43,500. The group of 4 would receive $58,000. These sums would surely cover the personal belongings

AFAIK, all the surviving families from the Concordia who have posted on CC and other forums state that the proposed settlement of $14K per passenger did not cover the cost of their lost possessions after they put everything down on paper and added it up. Or at best, families indicated it was real close. The families that made out the "best" had younger children who do not have many expensive items. Families with teens or older appeared to easily have hit $14K per passenger worth of stuff in the their cabins. I expect there are also examples of passengers who had far less expensive stuff with them on board and do not approach $14K per person, but we have not seen much information from them.

I am sorry you are so upset about those comments. I was quite happy to disregard your comments to me talking to me like a four year old. I am twice your age with twice your experience in the field.

Again a direct response to your insults. So I guess with regards to you I am suppose to just take your insults and let them be? I guess, better yet I will just ignore them all together. Truce

Here is the list.

Country Legal Cases per 1,000 Population

• Germany 123.2

• Sweden 111.2

• Israel 96.8

• Austria 95.9

• U.S.A. 74.5

• UK/England & Wales 64.4

• Denmark 62.5

• Hungary 52.4

• Portugal 40.7

• France 40.3

http://doelegal.blogspot.com/2011/03/global-litigation-rates-us-is-not.html

My comments are NOT wrong. Just because we are Number 5 and NOT Number 1 we aren't sue happy? Not to mention while the article was written a year ago, the major source for information was dated in 1998. And while they only mention they assume much hasn't changed since then.

You can go further to break that down, civil, medical, although we may not be #1, we are in some categories.

Ummmm....please tell me you're being facetious.

No I'm not. Cover my belongings, my cruise and whatever medical bills I have or out of work money if I was physically out of work that is. What's wrong with that for me? I think the 14500 plus the cost of my cruise would suffice for me if I was un harmed.

I don't disagree with you. But I also wouldn't mind seeing some sort of tort reform. I always believed that Obamacare should have balanced with tort reform to truly reduce the cost of healthcare in our country. Doctors, surgeons, and patients always seem to get the raw end of the stick and pharmaceutical companies and trial lawyers seem to thrive (because they have great lobbyist groups). People taking their frustrations out on survivors of the Concordia, calling them "greedy", is nothing less than naive, rude, unsympathetic, and ignorant. They are not the bad guys here. As others have pointed out, Costa never adequately discouraged the behavior of this captain or others from deviating from their course to pay tribute to islands, former captains, or even to give people a show. Costa/Carnival either needs to train their captains better or discipline them. But for these actions, they showed a reckless disregard for human life and safety and should pay damages. Whether someone believes a national government should receive those damages as fines or whether damages should be paid to those on the ship is something people on this thread have not agreed on. I think some believe it is an "unjust windfall" to victims. But I would hope that even those people like Little Missy would agree that strong fines or damages would certainly alter the behavior of this cruise line and even the others, making the seas much safer for all of us and that should be the goal.

These class actions aren't going to make millionaires out of the physically uninjured victims. They are asking for somewhere in the neighborhood of $160K per person. They would probably settle for much less. Even meeting at half way at around $85K isn't going to make any victim rich. The question is will it make them whole after having been put in a life or death situation by Costa/Carnival.

Assuming your not black, I would see why this would not be offensive to you. But let me break it down to you... Black people have come a long way and in any way,shape or form that Boats, branding,hazing, or beating someone with water via a hose, are all things that were done to mutilate black people when they came from Africa on boats. In no way, shape, or form did I deserve nor warrant that response. And the poster should have chosen his words better regardless if it was meant like that or not. We are all here to state our views and have fun but when unnecessary racial jabs occur, that's where I draw the line.

As having a PHD in World history, I'll let you in on something, throughout history there have been White slaves, black slaves and everything in between, in fact some of the worst treatment ever was what the white slaves went through 1800 years ago. I know I wasn't there and either were you in your complaint, but quit thinking your ancestory is the only ones that went through slavery. :mad:

AFAIK, all the surviving families from the Concordia who have posted on CC and other forums state that the proposed settlement of $14K per passenger did not cover the cost of their lost possessions after they put everything down on paper and added it up. Or at best, families indicated it was real close. The families that made out the "best" had younger children who do not have many expensive items. Families with teens or older appeared to easily have hit $14K per passenger worth of stuff in the their cabins. I expect there are also examples of passengers who had far less expensive stuff with them on board and do not approach $14K per person, but we have not seen much information from them.

If you were trying to get more than that $14,000 per person would you put anywhere in writing that you didn't have that much in personal items. It would be interesting to actually see those lists and should be interesting to see people come up with the proof that they owned these items when trying to sue for the recovery of them...

My comments are NOT wrong. Just because we are Number 5 and NOT Number 1 we aren't sue happy? Not to mention while the article was written a year ago, the major source for information was dated in 1998. And while they only mention they assume much hasn't changed since then.

You can go further to break that down, civil, medical, although we may not be #1, we are in some categories.

Actually the figures do not list all the countries, when you list all the western nations, the U.S. is down near 20 on the list. And yes, as shown by lists published in British newspapers in 2011 (which I read while working over there), as of 2010 the U.K was above the U.S. in suits per 1000 people. I sure that you can google if you really want to find lots of enlightening reference information. However the U.S. has NEVER even been the most litigious society when accounting for population. This is a fallacy.

Archived