Concordia customers suing for all of this money, be happy your alive!!!

LittleMiss

I am sorry you are so upset about those comments. I was quite happy to disregard your comments to me talking to me like a four year old. I am twice your age with twice your experience in the field.

I as well am in the mental health field and have a mosiac oof adopted kids........only have 23 years ofexperience though...got a little side tracked on my phd due to being called up.

If you were trying to get more than that $14,000 per person would you put anywhere in writing that you didn't have that much in personal items. It would be interesting to actually see those lists and should be interesting to see people come up with the proof that they owned these items when trying to sue for the recovery of them...

I outlined some of the items our family brings on a cruise earlier in this thread and demonstrated how quickly a person could get up to $14K in replacement value. I was actually shocked myself.... originally I thought that I would have $3K or $4K worth of stuff at most with me.

I would urge everyone to go through the same exercise. Write down all the items that you commonly take on a cruise and put a replacement value next to each one & total it up. See how close you come to $14K.

Actually the figures do not list all the countries, when you list all the western nations, the U.S. is down near 20 on the list. And yes, as shown by lists published in British newspapers in 2011 (which I read while working over there), as of 2010 the U.K was above the U.S. in suits per 1000 people. I sure that you can google if you really want to find lots of enlightening reference information. However the U.S. has NEVER even been the most litigious society when accounting for population. This is a fallacy.

I don't recall saying or seeing someone that said we were the MOST litigous society. But we do have more lawyers per capital than any other country. And I wonder if all of these lists actually include those that settle and don't go to court? How would they keep a record if it was not recorded in the courts? We all know that no record is completely accurate in any country, these are all estimates and based on information provided and gathered and computed.

So, we aren't number 5, we are closer to 20...Out of 196 countries in the world...still pretty sad...per capita or not.

No I'm not. Cover my belongings, my cruise and whatever medical bills I have or out of work money if I was physically out of work that is. What's wrong with that for me? I think the 14500 plus the cost of my cruise would suffice for me if I was un harmed.

Well, if you are ever in that situation, then feel free to make that choice. Many others disagree and will doing differently and I can't say I blame them.

As having a PHD in World history, I'll let you in on something, throughout history there have been White slaves, black slaves and everything in between, in fact some of the worst treatment ever was what the white slaves went through 1800 years ago. I know I wasn't there and either were you in your complaint, but quit thinking your ancestory is the only ones that went through slavery. :mad:

I never said that blacks were the only slaves and I am aware of white slaves and black slave owners might I add, (mammies, bucks, Koons and Mulattos a book by Richard bogel) clearly spells this out. But I AM unaware of the boat white slaves came over on and were branded, hazed, beaten with their eyes covered and whipped with water. Like I said to greg-nc... Let's leave this alone. Please :mad:

I don't recall saying or seeing someone that said we were the MOST litigous society. But we do have more lawyers per capital than any other country. And I wonder if all of these lists actually include those that settle and don't go to court? How would they keep a record if it was not recorded in the courts? We all know that no record is completely accurate in any country, these are all estimates and based on information provided and gathered and computed.

So, we aren't number 5, we are closer to 20...Out of 196 countries in the world...still pretty sad...per capita or not.

Keep in mind that the bottom half of the list of countries includes many without functioning civil legal systems (Dictatorships etc.)

Does the U.S. have the most lawyers? Yes (but we also have 300M people).

Does the U.S. have examples of outrageous legal awards that show our system is messed up at times? Yes, but these examples are few & far between generally.

Does the U.S. have class action lawsuits where law firms earn tons of money "green-mailing" corporations and the actual victims get a ten dollar off coupon? Yes

Can the U.S. legal system use some further reform? Yes.

If you were trying to get more than that $14,000 per person would you put anywhere in writing that you didn't have that much in personal items. It would be interesting to actually see those lists and should be interesting to see people come up with the proof that they owned these items when trying to sue for the recovery of them...

Good point!!

I outlined some of the items our family brings on a cruise earlier in this thread and demonstrated how quickly a person could get up to $14K in replacement value. I was actually shocked myself.... originally I thought that I would have $3K or $4K worth of stuff at most with me.

I would urge everyone to go through the same exercise. Write down all the items that you commonly take on a cruise and put a replacement value next to each one & total it up. See how close you come to $14K.

But they don't use a replacement value in this calculation. If you bought a suit 2 years ago and it cost you $400...you can't count $400, it is used and slightly worn. The value of that would be about $250 now, maybe a bit more but in all likelyhood, a lot less. I may have bought my camera 3 years ago and I paid $600 for it, but a camera like that now is about $300. If you factor it in that way, the amount doens't add up nearly as quickly.

Also, not sure about Costa, but CCL has liability limits on its luggage that I am willing to bet people don't read about...so pretty much if you bring on a bunch of expensive things you can't claim them...

4. BAGGAGE, PERSONAL PROPERTY, PROHIBITED ITEMS, LIMITATION OF LIABILITY

(a) Each fully paid adult Guest will be allowed a reasonable amount of luggage on board containing their personal belongings. Luggage means only trunks, valises, satchels, bags, hangers and bundles with their contents consisting of only such wearing apparel, toilet articles and similar personal effects as are necessary and appropriate for the purpose of the journey.

b) No tools of trade, household goods, presents and/or property of others, jewelry, money, cameras, documents, valuables of any description including but not limited to such articles as are described in Title 46 of the United States Code section 30503 shall be carried except under and subject to the terms of a special written contract or Bill of Lading entered into with Carnival prior to embarkation upon application of the Guest. The Guest warrants that no such articles are contained in any receptacle or container presented by him as baggage hereunder, and if any such articles are shipped in the Guest's baggage in breach of this warranty, no liability for negligence, gross or ordinary, shall attach to Carnival for any loss or damage thereto.

© Carnival shall not be liable for: (1) Guest's failure to comply with the requirements set forth in Clauses 4(a) and 4(b); (2) any loss or damage before baggage comes into Carnival's actual custody on board or after baggage leaves Carnival's actual custody on board, including, but not limited to, loss or damage by airlines or other transportation services; (3) any loss or damage of baggage while not in the actual possession, custody and control of Carnival; (4) damage due to wear, tear or normal usage; (5) any loss or damage of perishable items, medicine, liquor, cash, securities or other financial instruments, or (6) any loss or damage while in the custody and control of stevedores.

(d) It is stipulated and agreed that the aggregate value of Guest's property, does not exceed $50 per guest or bag with a maximum value of $100 per stateroom regardless of the number of occupants or bags and any liability of Carnival for any cause whatsoever with respect to said property shall not exceed such sum, unless the Guest shall in writing, delivered to Carnival, prior to embarkation, declare the true value thereof and pay to Carnival prior to embarkation a sum equal to 5% of the excess of such value. If Carnival shall be held liable for the loss of or damage to Guest's baggage or property it is agreed that such liability shall not exceed the lesser of: (1) the actual cash value, or (2) value declared in the manner above provided (up to U.S. $100 if no such declaration has been made). Declared value amounts to be proportionately reduced in any case where less than all of Guest's baggage or property is lost, delayed or rendered unusable due to damage. In no event shall Carnival be liable to pay any compensation if the nature or value of the property has been misrepresented.

Assuming your not black...

That's a BIG part of your problem. You assume way too much.

We are all here to state our views and have fun but when unnecessary racial jabs occur, that's where I draw the line.

And I draw the line at one person calling the other a racist because they may or may not be of another "color".

I as well am in the mental health field and have a mosiac oof adopted kids........only have 23 years ofexperience though...got a little side tracked on my phd due to being called up.

Never too late to finish.... I encourage it

so let me try to understand, are you complaining that i should have selected my words better... (as per your post below).

or are you amused as per your direct response in the post below.

what is the appropriate therapy for schizophrenia / did?

i can only come to the conclusion that you are trolling for your own personal amusement.

+1.

I really believe that it was a clean up effort afterwards but really? Is The Concordia that important to them that this had to be posted? The statement had nothing to do with anything and yet instead of acknowledging the fact that he made a boo boo with his verbiage, this Reginaphlange person comes after me? Really

Oh, poor you. Let me pull out the world's tiniest violin. Oh, wait. I seem to have lost it.

BAER!

Keep in mind that this is the ticket contract that is generally tossed out in court cases when criminal gross negligence is involved and will not be considered enforceable.

Let me state that if my house burns down, I have replacement value insurance on all the items inside. I would expect a cruise line to do the same if their ship sinks due to gross negligence.

The information below does demonstrate how "one-sided" the obscene ticket contracts are from the cruise lines. Is there a line in there also that stipulates that I must give my place in the life boats to the captain & officers if the ship sinks.

But they don't use a replacement value in this calculation. If you bought a suit 2 years ago and it cost you $400...you can't count $400, it is used and slightly worn. The value of that would be about $250 now, maybe a bit more but in all likelyhood, a lot less. I may have bought my camera 3 years ago and I paid $600 for it, but a camera like that now is about $300. If you factor it in that way, the amount doens't add up nearly as quickly.

Also, not sure about Costa, but CCL has liability limits on its luggage that I am willing to bet people don't read about...so pretty much if you bring on a bunch of expensive things you can't claim them...

4. BAGGAGE, PERSONAL PROPERTY, PROHIBITED ITEMS, LIMITATION OF LIABILITY

(a) Each fully paid adult Guest will be allowed a reasonable amount of luggage on board containing their personal belongings. Luggage means only trunks, valises, satchels, bags, hangers and bundles with their contents consisting of only such wearing apparel, toilet articles and similar personal effects as are necessary and appropriate for the purpose of the journey.

b) No tools of trade, household goods, presents and/or property of others, jewelry, money, cameras, documents, valuables of any description including but not limited to such articles as are described in Title 46 of the United States Code section 30503 shall be carried except under and subject to the terms of a special written contract or Bill of Lading entered into with Carnival prior to embarkation upon application of the Guest. The Guest warrants that no such articles are contained in any receptacle or container presented by him as baggage hereunder, and if any such articles are shipped in the Guest's baggage in breach of this warranty, no liability for negligence, gross or ordinary, shall attach to Carnival for any loss or damage thereto.

© Carnival shall not be liable for: (1) Guest's failure to comply with the requirements set forth in Clauses 4(a) and 4(b); (2) any loss or damage before baggage comes into Carnival's actual custody on board or after baggage leaves Carnival's actual custody on board, including, but not limited to, loss or damage by airlines or other transportation services; (3) any loss or damage of baggage while not in the actual possession, custody and control of Carnival; (4) damage due to wear, tear or normal usage; (5) any loss or damage of perishable items, medicine, liquor, cash, securities or other financial instruments, or (6) any loss or damage while in the custody and control of stevedores.

(d) It is stipulated and agreed that the aggregate value of Guest's property, does not exceed $50 per guest or bag with a maximum value of $100 per stateroom regardless of the number of occupants or bags and any liability of Carnival for any cause whatsoever with respect to said property shall not exceed such sum, unless the Guest shall in writing, delivered to Carnival, prior to embarkation, declare the true value thereof and pay to Carnival prior to embarkation a sum equal to 5% of the excess of such value. If Carnival shall be held liable for the loss of or damage to Guest's baggage or property it is agreed that such liability shall not exceed the lesser of: (1) the actual cash value, or (2) value declared in the manner above provided (up to U.S. $100 if no such declaration has been made). Declared value amounts to be proportionately reduced in any case where less than all of Guest's baggage or property is lost, delayed or rendered unusable due to damage. In no event shall Carnival be liable to pay any compensation if the nature or value of the property has been misrepresented.

[/color]

That's a BIG part of your problem. You assume way too much.

And I draw the line at one person calling the other a racist because they may or may not be of another "color".

I called someone a racist?

Keep in mind that this is the ticket contract that is generally tossed out in court cases when criminal gross negligence is involved and will not be considered enforceable.

Let me state that if my house burns down, I have replacement value insurance on all the items inside. I would expect a cruise line to do the same if their ship sinks due to gross negligence.

The information below does demonstrate how "one-sided" the obscene ticket contracts are from the cruise lines. Is there a line in there also that stipulates that I must give my place in the life boats to the captain & officers if the ship sinks.

Lol, now I like the last paragraph. I'm sure it just defaults if he trips and accidentally falls in a life boat :D

Possibly, but not for certain. And that basis is the same. When one sails on Carnival, they are reading the ticket contract and see what this says...regardless of whether the ship sinks or they drop your luggage in the ocean at the port and it sinks, the guidelines are still there. I am sure in the situation that they will get well over that, but they are going to have to put some sort of cap on it, whose to say whether someone did or didn't have a $20,000 ring on the ship? As sad as it is, I would imagine someone is going to try to make money off of it if they can.

Obvioulsy they are One Sided, this is how they protect themselves. Now we all know this is different, but imagine the things people would say they lost with no way to prove it. That is a real issue, too many people that would take advantage of the system and the cruise lines have these ridiculous contracts which hurt the honest and deserving ones. It happens in everything and I don't even want to get started on that...the innocent and honest people will suffer in almost everything because of those that try to get one over on people...it will never change...

Never too late to finish.... I encourage it

Oh i finished it..i just said i got side tracked due to being called up in 2001.. just took me longer..never said i didnt finish. Matter of fact i am finished with the post ddoc work as well

Possibly, but not for certain. And that basis is the same. When one sails on Carnival, they are reading the ticket contract and see what this says...regardless of whether the ship sinks or they drop your luggage in the ocean at the port and it sinks, the guidelines are still there. I am sure in the situation that they will get well over that, but they are going to have to put some sort of cap on it, whose to say whether someone did or didn't have a $20,000 ring on the ship? As sad as it is, I would imagine someone is going to try to make money off of it if they can.

Obvioulsy they are One Sided, this is how they protect themselves. Now we all know this is different, but imagine the things people would say they lost with no way to prove it. That is a real issue, too many people that would take advantage of the system and the cruise lines have these ridiculous contracts which hurt the honest and deserving ones. It happens in everything and I don't even want to get started on that...the innocent and honest people will suffer in almost everything because of those that try to get one over on people...it will never change...

You are correct.

One of the first stories we heard on the news was that a couple was suing because she had a miscarriage because of this accident and the trauma of being rescued off the ship.

Come to find out, she was not even on the ship.

I really hope this thread is deleted soon....this is becoming ridiculous. Please are trying to ask legitimate questions on other threads. Their questions can't get answered because of threads like these. :mad:

Yes I know my reply bumped it up again :(

Archived