Concordia customers suing for all of this money, be happy your alive!!!

LittleMiss

The point they were trying to make with this story is that yes she shouldn't have put the coffee between her legs, but McDonald's ADMITTED fault and agreed that it shouldn't have been hot enough to cause third degree Burns. And I believe the amount she received was less than it originally was because they determined she did have some responsibility for the incident?

Fyi Wikipedia is never a credible source IMO. Anyone can edit the information there so it isn't always accurate.

Understood, but it isn't always wrong, and reading that article, it is in line with most of the articles that have come out over the topic. That is why I don't quote anything or figures on there as far as statistics or dollar amounts...

The only credible source would be to have a copy of the minutes from the court and all of the legal documents on the entire case.

Regardless, she got a payout of a considerable amount more than she originally asked for, why? Because McDonalds didn't want to settle for what she wanted, when in fact, they should have given her more than that, and she hired a lawyer that said...McDonalds...JACKPOT...we are going after millions!

Have you researched how many of these coffee lawsuits have been thrown out...especially those tried outside of the US...1 judge awards money, another said it is better to have hot coffee. And yes, they did adjust the temperature, but not by much and people are still trying to sue them...why? Because they know that one person got this money and now they figure they can too!

Want to cut down on lawsuits? No more lawyers that collect fees from the settlements. You want to sue, the legal fess are 10% of what you are looking for in settlement...you pay whether you win or lose...bet more people think twice before getting that lawyer. Are you willing to spend $100,000 HOPING to win $1,000,000?

But, if you have nothing to lose and you have a lawyer that says...hey, lets go after $1,000,000 and I will only take 30%, so you will still get $700,000 if we win and if we lose, I will eat the cost...

I work in an industry where people try to sue us all of the time. We have a bullpen FULL of lawyers that play this game all day. It is disgusting the claims that people make to try to get money. CYA and hope that it is enough is all we can do.

Sorry to ruffle your feathers....but when facts stare me in the face i usually reconsider my initial opinion.....i guess i am alone in being able to understand and appreciate this ability

No, and this is the last time I am going to respond to you since your ability to comprehend is obviously not as keen as you think. I'm not arguing what's right and wrong or the merits of the lawsuits. I'm saying my opinion differs on what I think is fair compensation. There's a difference.

Just curious- on what are you basing your opinions then if not facts.

Again, not an opnion of the merits of the case. Those are solid. It's merely an opinion on what I think is fair compensation. Hopefully, you, at least, understand the difference.

No, and this is the last time I am going to respond to you since your ability to comprehend is obviously not as keen as you think. I'm not arguing what's right and wrong or the merits of the lawsuits. I'm saying my opinion differs on what I think is fair compensation. There's a difference.

Ok..bye

Well, she wouldn't have gotten full thickness third degree burns requiring skin graft surgery.

Why not? Isn't the boiling of water about 212 degrees? If she boiled a pot of water and made an instant cup of coffee and sat at her kitchen table in the same clothing and knocked the cup over into her lap...wouldn't the outcome have been the same? The McDonalds coffee was less than 200 degrees wasn't it...so actually, you can make hotter coffee or tea at home.

Really? I think YOU need to start reading the posts, you will see that the majority are against your opinion. Since majority rules...........YOU ARE WRONG. I started responding to this thread as soon as I saw it, I don't spend my life here, have other things to do, but now that I have found it I choose to post. Believe it or not, just as it's not up to you as to the victims right to sue, it is also not up to you to determine who should post here.

Okay

You keep saying read this, read that. Reading this and reading that doesn't change my opinion on what's fair. Accept it.

That is true. I have read MANY articles on this topic and facts are facts and opinions are opinions. I also think she was overly compensated, it looks as if McDonalds was held 80% responsible and her 20% responsible...

Ummm...if she hadn't had spilled it, no one would be responsible.

Anyway, since the Concordia struck the rock while people were dining I sure hope no one got burned by any hot coffee! (just kidding by the way, just trying to get back to the subject at hand)

why on earth are there being comparisons between hot coffee and a sinking ship where people DIED because of negligence?

Just because we live in a society where people have become sue happy, this does not mean that every law suit is frivolous.

Oh facts. Honestly it is how I FEEL about it that makes the difference. :rolleyes:

One of our modern urban legends and I really thought a bit of a reality check was in order.

Hi Waldo,

I have read the story in the past (not related to CC and this board) and am familiar with the case. And how the coffee was superheated, etc. Pretty interesting in regards to how companies set their internal procedures regarding cooking temps among other things...

I don't think anyone was implying (at least I certainly wasn't implying) that she had a frivilous lawsuit. I brought it up based upon the settlement she was awarded...juries tend to award based upon their hearts and whether they felt compassion for the plantiff(s). Although of course it was appealed by Mickey D's and the final amount reduced significantly- however, I used that example to show how if the trial was here in the US and a jury saw the videos of what occured onboard, the chances are great that the survivors of Costa would be awarded much more than 14k...:)

Take care

Diana

why on earth are there being comparisons between hot coffee and a sinking ship where people DIED because of negligence?

Just because we live in a society where people have become sue happy, this does not mean that every law suit is frivolous.

hi Halos,

No comparision is being made between the 2...the only comparision (at least in my eyes) is settlement amounts granted in court vs. what is offered as settlement by the corporations. I personally feel that 14k is insulting based upon what the survivors went through...:(

Take care,

Diana

I agree and while I think many lawsuits are frivolous, this one I do not.

Sorry to ruffle your feathers....but when facts stare me in the face i usually reconsider my initial opinion.....i guess i am alone in being able to understand and appreciate this ability

You talk about your opinion, but can't understand how others may come to their own opnions? :confused:

Opinions-

1. personal view: the view somebody takes about an issue, especially when it is based solely on personal judgment

We were talking about opinions. And I guess I was assuming an informed opinion;

An informed opinion is based on knowledge of the facts and carefully considered principles. It relies on evidence instead of limited personal experience.

I made the reference only to say that the lady knew the coffee was hot and was perhaps careless which caused her situation. Yet she still got more than a half a million dollars.

The passengers of the Concordia were not careless. Their captain was. And as such, they should be fairly compensated. 14k seems like a slap in the face for living a nightmare in comparison to the McD's settlement. That's all I am saying. :-)

Hi Waldo,

I have read the story in the past (not related to CC and this board) and am familiar with the case. And how the coffee was superheated, etc. Pretty interesting in regards to how companies set their internal procedures regarding cooking temps among other things...

I don't think anyone was implying (at least I certainly wasn't implying) that she had a frivilous lawsuit. I brought it up based upon the settlement she was awarded...juries tend to award based upon their hearts and whether they felt compassion for the plantiff(s). Although of course it was appealed by Mickey D's and the final amount reduced significantly- however, I used that example to show how if the trial was here in the US and a jury saw the videos of what occured onboard, the chances are great that the survivors of Costa would be awarded much more than 14k...:)

Take care

Diana

You weren't implying this, but others were. And I agree- how to determine what is a reasonable settlement is not easy and juries can be swayed. I don't know of any other way it can be done though- especially in punitive cases. Which I guess is why the company starts at $14,000 and the lawyers start at $100 million, or whatever. I am not a lawyer, don't even play one on TV. but I do think that videos of what was happening do play a role- certainly disputes any notion that a calm cool and organized abandon ship was going on.

One thing that does play a role, I believe, is what amount of money will cause the company to go "Ouch". And unless that happens, things won't change. The company would rather take those hits and continue doing things that are dangerous. Like movie stars who get hit with $1,000 fine for doing something wrong- petty cash to them. Why change their behaviour?

Yikes! The Concordia capsizing was a huge deal. There was gross negligance, major incompetence, everyone who lived can absolulely say their lives were in grave danger. I believe all passengers on that ship are entitled to more than just their money back. Cruise ships have a responsibility to keep their passengers safe at all times.

I could not agree more bluejay. Betcha if you were actually on that ship going through all of that, some minds would be changed. You just never understand a situation until you have gone through it.

As much as I love cruising, had I been on the ship, and had to swim to safety, I highly doubt I would be cruising again EVER in my lifetime.

What we say and do, sometimes turn out to be 2 different things.

But this is just my opinion and I know me;)..

No idea! The only comparison is that there was coffee on the ship, other than that, there really is none. Someone mentioned something about frivilous lawsuits, but I also don't recall at any time someone saying that these lawsuits would be frivilous, just that sometimes they seem to ask for too much money.

An informed opinion is based on knowledge of the facts and carefully considered principles. It relies on evidence instead of limited personal experience.

And it is just that, an informed opnion. An opinion different from yours does not make you any more right than them.

Archived