If one of us gets attrociously seasick

I highly doubt it and wouldn´t count on there being a cabin available.

Why not book such a location in the first place?

Because I'm stupid, I booked it before doing research on here, and now only inside cabins and balcony are available (too rich for my blood, balcony), I've tried dummy booking a few cabins but the selection isn't good either.:(

Never heard of anyone being given different room because of this . Some would try to use this for an upgrade.

I would be happy to pay for an upgrade if the situation arose, but I certainly wouldn't lower myself to trying to get one due to illness.

Just keep checking for opening of a cabin in he desired location. If no luck then I would suggest taking seasick medication. Start taking the eveing before the cruise and everyday after and you should be okay.

Just keep checking for opening of a cabin in he desired location. If no luck then I would suggest taking seasick medication. Start taking the eveing before the cruise and everyday after and you should be okay.

Yep, I have planned on doing all of the necessary medical preventions, I personally will have no trouble, it's because of my two friends that I'm over thinking the situation......I've planned & booked the whole trip, so am now down to what I cannot control....

Buy a pair of Sea Bands and you will not get seasick.

Swear by them!

MARAPRINCE

The seasick bands work great for some but did not work for me. I found that Ginger pills work best for me I start take 2 Ginger pills in the morning and take Dramamine at bed time the day before we sail, and do this for the whole cruise. On our 2010 Enchantment cruise my mom and aunt was with me and my husband. Three days in my aunt and husband quit taking their Ginger as very calm seas, day 5 we hit a storm both my husband and aunt missed dinner and the show that night as got seasick.. They took ginger the rest of the cruise.

OP, you have booked a nice cabin, very quiet. Try and concentrate on the positives about this cruise and don't mention the seasick aspect to your friends. They may not even start thinking about it unless it is drilled into them that they might get seasick. Liberty is a wonderful ship and I'm sure you'll have a great time. :D

And remember, you all won't be IN the cabin 24/7! You'll be out and about....different deck levels and areas of the ship.

The infirmary does have medication for seasickness, and they don't charge for the pills...if needed, check it out!

But, you'll be fine! Don't overthink!

OP, you have booked a nice cabin, very quiet. Try and concentrate on the positives about this cruise and don't mention the seasick aspect to your friends. They may not even start thinking about it unless it is drilled into them that they might get seasick. Liberty is a wonderful ship and I'm sure you'll have a great time. :D

Thanks for the reply, won't breathe a word!:D

And remember, you all won't be IN the cabin 24/7! You'll be out and about....different deck levels and areas of the ship.

The infirmary does have medication for seasickness, and they don't charge for the pills...if needed, check it out!

But, you'll be fine! Don't overthink!

Thanks for the reply, I work in the medicine business so have no worries about bringing the right supplies:D, I was more concerned with whilst sleeping etc, I am overthinking, I promise I'll stop now!!!!!

Macrompian1, I can sympathize with you as I do have the tendency to get motion sickness (I can't read a book in a bus) but I don't let that dictate which cabin to book. You have a great cabin location and will enjoy it immensely. Here is what works best for me to keep seasickness away: always have a bit of food in your stomach, seasickness is worse on an empty stomach! I like to keep a small box of cereal in the cabin (from the Windjammer buffet) so I can munch a few mouthfuls before going to bed and also when I wake up in the morning before we head out for breakfast.

On my 2 sailing occasions where I needed drastic help due to rough seas, my husband went to Guest Services and they give you tablets for free (meclizine hydrochloride). Those worked best for me, as long as you remember to NOT drink alcohol when taking them or you'll feel pretty stoned and sleep REALLY well :). I had tried Ginger pills but they did nothing for me. Also tried Gravol but fell asleep (didn't try the non-drowsy).

I only needed meds on 2 cruises, once in the caribbean during hurricane season and once in Tahiti in the high seas heading for the Tuamotu islands. I'm usually fine during 'normal' sailing conditions so I think you'll be fine. No harm in trying Ginger and perhaps bring non-drowsy Gravol just in case but also know that you can always get an alternative at Guest Services, if those 2 methods should fail and you're running out of options.

Happy Cruising!

I can't say that it will work, but why not call RCI now and explain to them that you did not know about the correlation between forward cabins and increased movement when you booked the cruise. They might (might) be able to access a block of rooms that has been alloted to a TA that would have the type room you need. You never know what they can actually do. It's worth a phone call.

Thank you all for your help, much appreciated, will take everything in consideration & might make that call after all! We are sailing in the Med, so I believe it may be more choppy than caribbean , I may be wrong though, don't quote me on that!:p

just have a couple drinks and stay active.

non alcholic drinks! dehyration makes sea sickness worse. Ginger candies/capsules, meclizine started the day before the cruise and maintained during the cruise is a life saver

I get it at Fresh Market or Whole Foods. Yummy! The chews are delish and the hard candy is easy to pop in your mouth for a while. I get seasick at the drop of a hat. Let me say that the first time I went, I took the meclizine a couple of days before we left and stayed on it for the whole cruise. I was amazed at the lack of movement in the ship! Since then I have not needed to use the meds except when on the Celebrity ships. They must have a different design. But RCI was great.

The seasick bands work great for some but did not work for me. I found that Ginger pills work best for me I start take 2 Ginger pills in the morning and take Dramamine at bed time the day before we sail, and do this for the whole cruise. On our 2010 Enchantment cruise my mom and aunt was with me and my husband. Three days in my aunt and husband quit taking their Ginger as very calm seas, day 5 we hit a storm both my husband and aunt missed dinner and the show that night as got seasick.. They took ginger the rest of the cruise.

What type of Ginger pills and where do you get them? Would love to try them but can't seem to do the ginger candy.

Where do you get ginger candy?

I worry about my kids, 7 and 9 getting sick.

I had my kids (12 & 7 last cruise) take the children's Bonine starting the night before the cruise and every night til 3 days after we returned. Pediatrician said it would be ok and I was going on the "ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" notion. All was good.

I would really check with your pediatrician about giving even meclizine (Bonine) prophylactically. It is also labeled, if I'm not mistaken, as Dramamine Less Drowsy. I agree it probably won't hurt but it still does have some somnolent (sleepy) effect and I personally would not give it to my kids for days at a time without cause. But of course you can ask 20 people and get 20 different answers on this.

I would really check with your pediatrician about giving even meclizine (Bonine) prophylactically. It is also labeled, if I'm not mistaken, as Dramamine Less Drowsy. I agree it probably won't hurt but it still does have some somnolent (sleepy) effect and I personally would not give it to my kids for days at a time without cause. But of course you can ask 20 people and get 20 different answers on this.

My apologies. I agree. I did not read closely enough and did not connect that it would be for children. I would definitely consult with the pediatrician before giving them anything other than the ginger candy.

Where do you get ginger candy?

I worry about my kids, 7 and 9 getting sick.

I buy it at Cost Plus. My daughter does fine on the ship but feels queasy on the tenders and on the bus/van tours. The candy distracts her and really does seem to help.

Archived