If one of us gets attrociously seasick

I get seasick on the first night on board and my husband goes down to Medical and gets me the freebie seasickness pills which work like a charm. I tried the ginger candies and although I think they taste good, I still need the pills!

I get seasick on the first night on board and my husband goes down to Medical and gets me the freebie seasickness pills which work like a charm. I tried the ginger candies and although I think they taste good, I still need the pills!

Why don't you get some of those pills for yourself and start taking them the night before the cruise? That would save you from being seasick on the first night on board.

Why don't you get some of those pills for yourself and start taking them the night before the cruise? That would save you from being seasick on the first night on board.

Celle, thank you for that wonderful suggestion! I've almost resigned myself to losing the first 24 hours of any cruise so this would be a godsend. I will definitely give it a try.

My wife uses the pills available on board for free in the medical center. She swears that they work for her. I think the important thing is to take them BEFORE you get sea sick.

Celle, thank you for that wonderful suggestion! I've almost resigned myself to losing the first 24 hours of any cruise so this would be a godsend. I will definitely give it a try.

Yes, do try that.

I can get seasick at the drop of a hat, but I always travel with my own supply of Bonine/Meclizine and I take one pill every night, starting 24 hours before the cruise.

Since doing that, I have not been seasick on any cruise, even in rough weather.

Where do you get ginger candy?

I worry about my kids, 7 and 9 getting sick.

If you do not mention it and your kids know nothing about sea sickness, they should be fine.

Tell them all about it, and they will probably get seasick.

will customer service consider moving us to a lower deck midship, if available? We are 3 women (2 newbies) in large OV (F) forward 8214. Please & Thank You.:rolleyes:
If you were atrociously seasick, moving cabins wouldn't make a hill of beans difference. The difference between cabins -- if it exists at all -- is minor. Plus, you're not going to be in your cabin all the time, so any difference is even smaller.

I get horribly car sick (especially if I read), but I don't get seasick. No one in my family does. So don't assume you're going to have problems. Being on a big ship is nothing like being out on a little dingy -- I did get seasick once on a little snorkeling boat.

You said you're bringing medications. That's your best bet. If someone starts showing signs of seasickness, they MUST take meds immediately. Once you're sick, it's hard to rebound -- a good, long nap and a fresh, medicated start is the only way to get back on your feet once seasickness has taken a hold of you. If someone has been seasick in the past, she should take meds before the cruise and keep taking them continually.

Bring crystallized ginger too (I buy it in the produce section at Harris Teeter; I chop it up tiny and carry it in a little Tupperware container). That stuff is great for car sickness.

will customer service consider moving us to a lower deck midship, if available? We are 3 women (2 newbies) in large OV (F) forward 8214. Please & Thank You.:rolleyes:
If you're atrociously seasick, the small difference in cabin movement is not likely to help it.

Get the patch and put it on before you get on the ship. Why mess around with this and ruin your vacation?

I would actually say that's not a great idea. The scopolomine patch can also make you drowsy. And if you have a drink that can compound the effect.

If you really want to have it on hand, talk to your doctor about prescribing it and not using it unless you find you need to.

(One other thing that has worked for me on a rough sea day when I was slightly hungover was ginger ale with bitters. Not very scientific but I was willing to try anything and it did seem to help.)

.... don't mention the seasick aspect to your friends. They may not even start thinking about it unless it is drilled into them that they might get seasick.

This is great advice. We were on a Disney cruise a while ago with several friends and all our kids. One Mom in our group chose to ask her kids about TEN TIMES a day if they were feeling seasick!!

Guess what happened next?? :D :D

My husband, daughter and myself get motion sick very easy, just be prepared. For my cruise in a few weeks I have already packed the sea band, pure ginger capsules (from a health food store) and Bonine. I plan to take the Bonine every night before bed and they last 24hrs. I also figure it will help with the rough, bumpy roads when we touring the islands the next day. I say better safe than sorry:D

Because I'm stupid, I booked it before doing research on here, and now only inside cabins and balcony are available (too rich for my blood, balcony), I've tried dummy booking a few cabins but the selection isn't good either.:(

If only inside cabins and balconies are available, now, how likely do you think it would be that an outside room on a lower deck would be available once the ship sails? There are any number of preventive measures that can be taken to reduce the chances of mal de mer and if one is "atrociously seasick" during the cruise, I understand that the shot available in the Medical Center is very effective. There is a part of seasickness that may be psychosomatic so convincing yourself that you are going to be sick may actually contribute to the condition. Think more positively but be prepared with other measures should the worst occur.:)

If only inside cabins and balconies are available, now, how likely do you think it would be that an outside room on a lower deck would be available once the ship sails? There are any number of preventive measures that can be taken to reduce the chances of mal de mer and if one is "atrociously seasick" during the cruise, I understand that the shot available in the Medical Center is very effective. There is a part of seasickness that may be psychosomatic so convincing yourself that you are going to be sick may actually contribute to the condition. Think more positively but be prepared with other measures should the worst occur.:)

I have no intention of being seasick, I'll just deny it if it does happen, repress these sickly urges and move along please, an experienced seafarer I ; However my shipmates are first time cruises and only see water when they wash, so tis them I'm worried for, I will bring all otc & prescription meds with me dose them up the night before, that should see us right. Thanks for the advice.

... I will bring all otc & prescription meds with me dose them up the night before, that should see us right.

As I said before I think you are tempting fate if you approach it this way. The mere mention of how seasick they may get will play over and over in their minds. My philosophy is to wait and see how the trip goes; if need be, meds or remedies can be administered quickly. They may not even need them, but I certainly wouldn't want to decide for them that they are going to be sick. :(

Stop worrying about the what if's,

and think and plan around the positve aspects of your cruise

you will enjoy!!!!

Patience is essential, attitude is everything.

A good attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure!

Being happy does not mean that everything is perfect.

It means you have decided to look beyond the imperfections

of you’re expectations.

Toes in the water, Ass in the sand, Not a worry in the world, a Cold Beer in my Hand, Life is Good Today!!! Zac Brown Band!!

From our family experience...we did not take any meds prior to our first cruise ever. At dinner (first seating) my entire crew was green...And these were not rough waters! I happened to bring 1 pack of Bonine. Within 30-45 minutes of taking the first pill...we were fine. At our first port stop...we stocked up on meds! We had a wonderful cruise!

Since then...we take Bonine 1 day prior to departure...and continue taking it every evening on the cruise...and three days after the cruise. If the ship is really rocking...we sometimes have to take an additional pill at bedtime.

Also, we have cruised in the forward, mid, and aft sections of several different ships. For my crew...we would get sick on deck two mid-ship! So cabin location does not matter for us.

I believe that being prepared for the potential of being seasick is a good thing...And that by dinner time on the first evening you should have a good idea of who might be susceptible to getting sick.

Enjoy your cruise! And just have the meds available if someone needs them...

Crystal

I would actually say that's not a great idea. The scopolomine patch can also make you drowsy. And if you have a drink that can compound the effect.

If you really want to have it on hand, talk to your doctor about prescribing it and not using it unless you find you need to.

(One other thing that has worked for me on a rough sea day when I was slightly hungover was ginger ale with bitters. Not very scientific but I was willing to try anything and it did seem to help.)

I respectfully disagree. Hubby get very, very sea and motion sick. Once he starts to feel bad that's it for the day. No hanging out, no drinking and definitely no eating. For what it costs to go on vacay why waste even one day laying in bed sleeping the sick off till the meds kick in? If you know you're gonna get sick put the patch on and save yourself the hassle.

Archived