Excursions Navigator Western Caribbean

In Guatemala we've twice done the Rio Dulce river trip up to the school, and then back down for lunch in the Garifuna town of Livingston, on the coast. It's great, but it's a premium excursion for which there's a fee.

In Belize we've again gone up a river to Lamanai, which is a fairly major Mayan ruin. It involves a bus ride, then a river ride, and lunch is also provided. I can't remember if we paid anything extra for this one or not.

Key West we usually stay low-keyed. We took a tour down to the Butterfly Conservatory, which is very nice. The tour then came back to the little aquarium, but we dropped out of the tour at that point and walked back up Duval. Key West is fun just to walk around.

On Cozumel, avoid the 4x4 guided trips around the island. At least we didn't like it. Four people per jeep, and it's just follow the leader. Took us at a very quick pace on bad roads to a snorkeling beach, but the snorkeling was poor, then took us to another beach for a (poor) lunch, then to the very small Mayan ruin, then took us to a store to shop. Luckily we made friends with our jeep-mates, but other than that I didn't think it was very good. Even the jeeps weren't in great shape.

We loved cavetubing -- lots of walking involved but a wonderful experience going down the river into pitch black caves, etc.

Snorkeling in Cozumel and Key West was a waste of time. As Wendy stated, Key West is a great place to walk around. Cozumel -- not so much. There are generally lots of ships anchored and wall-to-wall people. If there is an excursion that would get you out of the main area, go for it.

We did the Lamanai trip in Belize as well and really enjoyed it. Got to see lots of wildlife during the ride down the river plus the ruins were interesting.

In Cozumel, we did an excursion where we were taken to a beach out of town by taxi then we had 2 person speed boats that we rode around it. It was great fun.

In Guatemala, we did the very pricey air excursion to the ruins in Honduras. It was expensive, but one of the best trips we have done. There was only one other couple. Well worth the extra cost.

We went deep sea fishing in Key West. My husband liked it. I would have rather just walked around town myself.

Thanks everyone. And what about Costa Maya? We have been to the Chacchoben ruins on another cruise stop, although not with Regent. Also wondered if they are likely to change the excursions from the one's posted on the website. It says those are just tentative. Maybe something special as this is the year that the Mayan calendar ends--

Usually by now Regent has an email link on the excursion section of your cruise. You can receive a pdf file with the exact excursions offered for your cruise. With the website issues right now, who knows when that link will appear?

Can't help you with Costa Maya, except to say that the new port area is a typical one, full of ways to get money out of you. It was gray and cool when we were there, so we took a cab into the little nearby town of Ajicic, and just wandered up and down. Not much there--they're trying to attract tourists--on a nice day you can sit on the beach and have a drink.

In Belize, the airboat ride was great-- great staff and a fun time.I tipped hugely-- simply for their enthusiastic attitude. Great scenery and a nice tour of the town.

And of course you MUST swim with the Stingrays! If you go, look for my lost diamond earring!

Archived