Price drop and I can't get it

I'm about ready to cry, just got this email back from RC:

Right now I'm actually considering just cancelling and not bothering to rebook, we can find a cheaper land-based holiday :( This has really peed me off, this is no way to treat customers.

I'd cancel the original booking, lose the deposit, rebook another cabin and save the difference. Next time book on Celebrity. Seems to me they're just being harda**es.

I'd cancel the original booking, lose the deposit, rebook another cabin and save the difference. Next time book on Celebrity. Seems to me they're just being harda**es.
As I mentioned above for RCI, if you book Celebrity here in the UK either through a UK TA or direct with Celebrity the cancellation charges are the same:

Cancellation charges

The following cancellations charges apply:

5 days or less 100%

6 - 14 days 90%

15 - 28 days 75%

29 - 56 days 50%

57 days or more Deposit only (£150 per person)

Please be advised that the minimum cancellation charge will always be the loss of deposit and that any amendment or transfer fees will also be charged when a booking is cancelled.

So RCI are not being hard, just abiding by the T&C's. Any other changes you wish to make on Celebrity attract the same fees as RCI if done more than 56 days out from sailing. Less than that and it is considered a cancellation and subject to the charges detailed above.

If it's after final payment there would be no money back. However, when we've run into this situation we were able to bump up to a better room catagory. We never use a travel agent for this same reason.

I believe that in the UK they have different pricing policies than we have here in the US in that a price reduction would be honored after final payment.

I'm about ready to cry, just got this email back from RC:

Right now I'm actually considering just cancelling and not bothering to rebook, we can find a cheaper land-based holiday :( This has really peed me off, this is no way to treat customers.

I'd cancel the original booking, rebook another cabin, save the difference, then next time book with Celebrity. Seems to me they're just being harda**es.

The thing is, I dont WANT to cancel, I want to take my daughter on this cruise, I just dont want to be paying so much more than someone else deciding to book today, because I was loyal and booked early. I feel like a fool now. I'd be £238 better off if I cancelled and rebooked but is that enough of a saving to make the hassle worthwhile and potentially lose my hump cabin?

The thing is, I dont WANT to cancel, I want to take my daughter on this cruise, I just dont want to be paying so much more than someone else deciding to book today, because I was loyal and booked early. I feel like a fool now. I'd be £238 better off if I cancelled and rebooked but is that enough of a saving to make the hassle worthwhile and potentially lose my hump cabin?

Only you can decide that point. However, 238BP is a lot of money...

Although I sympathise with the situation being experienced by the OP (and at the fear of getting slammed and flamed here) but I don't see what the difference is with what RCI (or Celebrity) are doing in comparison to most other UK based travel companies.

I booked a land based vacation early and paid my fare. A few months later the price dropped but I knew I wasn't eligible for a price drop as that is not policy of the travel company. Even nearer to departure, the price dropped again, but once again, I wasn't eligible for a price drop/refund etc.

What's the difference? If the price is acceptable when you book, then this is the price you were prepared to pay. Why should you expect a price drop?

When you travel, there will be many people who have paid less than you, also many that have paid more than you too. That's how it works.

If you buy a household appliance here in the UK and then next week the price drops in a sale, do you expect a refund? Will you get one? No, unless the store is performing some sort of promotion when you purchased your goods, where they agree to 'price match' for a certain length of time. Very rare in the UK, if at all.

OK, I appreciate that it is different in other markets, especially the US, but we are not purchasing in the US so we agree and have to abide by the T&Cs here.

Do I find it frustrating? Yes, do I expect a price drop/refund/OBC? No, because I am aware of the T&C's I agree to when booking in the UK.

Sorry, I do understand your frustration, especially when there is so much money at stake, but those are the T&C's.

Well, you could take a chance and hope that there will be another price drop that you will be able to take advantage of. All price drops are not for new bookings only.

Although I sympathise with the situation being experienced by the OP (and at the fear of getting slammed and flamed here) but I don't see what the difference is with what RCI (or Celebrity) are doing in comparison to most other UK based travel companies.

I booked a land based vacation early and paid my fare. A few months later the price dropped but I knew I wasn't eligible for a price drop as that is not policy of the travel company. Even nearer to departure, the price dropped again, but once again, I wasn't eligible for a price drop/refund etc.

What's the difference? If the price is acceptable when you book, then this is the price you were prepared to pay. Why should you expect a price drop?

When you travel, there will be many people who have paid less than you, also many that have paid more than you too. That's how it works.

If you buy a household appliance here in the UK and then next week the price drops in a sale, do you expect a refund? Will you get one? No, unless the store is performing some sort of promotion when you purchased your goods, where they agree to 'price match' for a certain length of time. Very rare in the UK, if at all.

OK, I appreciate that it is different in other markets, especially the US, but we are not purchasing in the US so we agree and have to abide by the T&Cs here.

Do I find it frustrating? Yes, do I expect a price drop/refund/OBC? No, because I am aware of the T&C's I agree to when booking in the UK.

Sorry, I do understand your frustration, especially when there is so much money at stake, but those are the T&C's.

Well said!!

Agree 1000000000 %

Please clarify something for us. Is the lower price you refer to applicable to the same stateroom category and offered on the same booking basis (choice of stateroom or guarantee)? I ask because the majority of hump cabins are category E2 which are only available on a guarantee basis at this time and I assume when you booked last year you were given the pick of the bunch.

Please clarify something for us. Is the lower price you refer to applicable to the same stateroom category and offered on the same booking basis (choice of stateroom or guarantee)? I ask because the majority of hump cabins are category E2 which are only available on a guarantee basis at this time and I assume when you booked last year you were given the pick of the bunch.

Yes, there obviously aren't any other E2 hump cabins available at this time, but there are other E2 cabins with a choice (not guarantee), I did check. There are no other differences, other than for new bookings. When I originally booked I was told there were no guarantee cabins for this cruise, obviously that's changed since then and if I cancelled and booked a guarantee cabin it would be even cheaper, another couple of £100.

In answer to peteukmcr, I totally get your point and I would normally agree with you if RC never honoured price drops, if it was known that if you book early you take the risk of others getting it for cheaper and that was that. But that's not the case with cruising and with this company, they are well known for giving price drops, upgrades and extra OBC, and so it's not unreasonable to expect it, at least I dont think so.

Well, you could take a chance and hope that there will be another price drop that you will be able to take advantage of. All price drops are not for new bookings only.

That doesn't make any sense , why would they drop their price for anything other than new bookings , it would mean everyone who has already booked would request the price drop therefore losing Royal a lot of revenue , it does seem harsh to book early for " best prices " and then nearer departure date prices tumble , although to get the exact cabin you want you have to book early .

[quote name='rogueangel']I'm about ready to cry, just got this email back from RC:

Right now I'm actually considering just cancelling and not bothering to rebook, we can find a cheaper land-based holiday :( This has really peed me off, this is no way to treat customers.[/quote]

Well if you are feeling that bad it might be the best thing for you to do. Of course you would then lose the 300 entirely.

You shouldn't lose your initial deposit at this point. You could theoretically cancel with no loss at this point so you should get a full 500+ in savings. Demand they rebook you at the new price and fire your TA if they don't get it done. This is basic stuff and happens every day as long as you are prior to final payment.

Yesterday, when you posted this was a Tuesday. The price drop could have been a Tuesday only sale price that is only open to new bookings. Check today to see if the lower price is still available. If not, then it probably was a Tueday only sale.
Mary Anne

Sorry, just noticed that you checked th price over the weekend, so it wasn't a Tuesday special sale.

[quote name='topnole']You shouldn't lose your initial deposit at this point. You could theoretically cancel with no loss at this point so you should get a full 500+ in savings. Demand they rebook you at the new price and fire your TA if they don't get it done. This is basic stuff and happens every day as long as you are prior to final payment.[/quote]

No, in the UK if you cancel you lose your deposit, you can never walk away with no loss.

and to MAHA I originally saw the price on the weekend and it's the same price today, I've been checking.

[quote name='topnole']You shouldn't lose your initial deposit at this point. You could theoretically cancel with no loss at this point so you should get a full 500+ in savings. Demand they rebook you at the new price and fire your TA if they don't get it done. This is basic stuff and happens every day as long as you are prior to final payment.[/quote]

Sorry but the OP has booked in the UK and there´s no canceling without losing out.

Before I say anything -- is the only reason you're not cancelling because you might lose your hump cabin?

Because what I would do is place a courtesy hold on just any cabin. Cancel your current cruise with your TA. Call RCI to waitlist you for (your ex) hump cabin and switch rooms when your hump becomes available.
You win on both levels - you get your lower pricing AND you get to be in control of your booking since now you're directly with the cruiseline.

I did just that this morning. Saved me 1000 USD AND we're in a higher category cabin. Good luck!

I've just had a very speed reply back from Crown & Anchor that was explained in a very clear way, much better than my original email back that was a bit "tough luck" in tone.

[QUOTE]I was sorry to note your disappointment with the fact that there was an offer running by a travel agent, after your reservation had been made, which entitled guests to lower costings. Please be aware that as the prices are confirmed at the time of booking, our guests are protected against any rise in the cost of the cruise, and there are also benefits to be had in the availability of stateroom categories and price codes.

We run a variety of promotions throughout the year, all of which are bound by certain restrictions such as ships, sail dates, and booking dates. These promotions are created by our Sales Department to encourage new bookings and the components on the offer are based around many factors, such as availability, market forces, competitor pricing and the overall economic situation. Travel agents can in turn sell on the cruise at any
prices to encourage bookings.

However, as you are a loyalty member you will know that as per our T&Cs 1.9
we do honour price drops.

Our guidelines regarding price drops are
[a] the price code is not for new bookings only,
[b] there are rooms left in the category and
[c] that the agent has not made the booking as part of a group allocation ,
[d] the price code must allow a conversion to be made and
[e] the code does not have restrictions regarding flights.

However, I have checked your booking and can advise that the lower price you can see on your cabin grade is specifically for new bookings only and there is nothing we can do to override the system I'm afraid.

If you did cancel then you would lose your £150pp deposit; however there have been times where the price drop was so large, and it was applicable for new bookings only that it has been worth it to cancel, lose £150pp and then rebook and still have a cheaper cruise.

However the only cabins left in your E2 grade at this time are guarantee cabins where you do not know the room number you will be allocated; therefore you may actually be allocated a room in a higher grade; but there is no assurance that you will be able to rebook the room you have now; but if the agent is deft and holds off the new booking before cancelling the old booking we should be able to retain the room number too.

We are sorry this is probably not the answer you wanted to hear but I'm afraid we are unable to amend price codes which are showing for new bookings only.[/QUOTE]

I've just double checked about the E2 cabins and she's right, there were E2 cabins this morning when I looked but now there are only E1s available or E2 Guarantees. I'm going to have to think about what to do now. Thank you to everyone for your advice and help.

[quote name='Isa65']Before I say anything -- is the only reason you're not cancelling because you might lose your hump cabin?

Because what I would do is place a courtesy hold on just any cabin. Cancel your current cruise with your TA. Call RCI to waitlist you for (your ex) hump cabin and switch rooms when your hump becomes available.
You win on both levels - you get your lower pricing AND you get to be in control of your booking since now you're directly with the cruiseline.

I did just that this morning. Saved me 1000 USD AND we're in a higher category cabin. Good luck![/quote]

That was my main reason for not cancelling yes. But now that there are no more E2 cabins available unless I go for a guarantee, I can't really rebook and do that as I can't choose my cabin.

[quote name='Isa65']Before I say anything -- is the only reason you're not cancelling because you might lose your hump cabin?

I did just that this morning. Saved me 1000 USD AND we're in a higher category cabin. Good luck![/quote]

However, there could be someone already waitlisted for the hump cabin the OP currently has booked. So in the process of cancelling and rebooking, OP could end up losing the cabin.

To the poster , I think it might be best you just take it on the chin now and feel good that you got the cabin you wanted , if you are set on that cabin then don't risk losing it , it does seem an awful loss and I too would be peed off about it but the best way to deal with it is to think you have a great cabin , I keep looking at my cruise , I go on Indy in April and I know there's nothing I can do now if the price goes down , but I have a nice cabin and was happy with what I paid for it when I booked two months ago . My advice now is to step away from the computer :D these things can wind us up no end but little we can do about it , you have explored all ways of getting some money back and it's just not happening , have a great cruise , we will try and look after Indy for you and keep her noro free , that's my main worry at the moment .

Archived