going to bars & not drinking

4spring

you can carry a drink from place to place onboard; I see people bring cocktails from the bar to the MDR all the time.

If you feel as if you should have something, get a wine glass from Room Service/your steward, fill it with ice water or OJ from the buffet and take it to the piano bar.

I sat in the piano bar for long stretches with no purchases and didn't feel uncomfortable.

Im sorry to say if you dont want to drink why go to a bar.Would you do this at home? Would you drive to a bar, be seated and not order a single thing.You would be asked to leave for loitering

I often go to a bar to see the entertainment, and I don't drink a thing. Never been asked to leave for loitering.

I often go to a bar to see the entertainment, and I don't drink a thing. Never been asked to leave for loitering.

I have worked in a bar for 20 years and have NEVER seen someone walk in and sit at the bar or sit at a table and not order anything!! I guess most people just know better and understand the entertainment was brought into the establishment and paid for by the establishment to bring people in to eat/drink and make additional revenue

I go to the bar because that's where the Entertainment is. I want to hear the music. I want to relax. I would go to a land based bar if there's entertainment I want to hear. If forced to order a drink I get an OJ or seven-up. I'm on meds and drinking would be deadly. I would prefer water. No bar should legally allowed to force liquor on a non drinker if they have entertainment.

I never said they had to order liquor

I have worked in a bar for 20 years and have NEVER seen someone walk in and sit at the bar or sit at a table and not order anything!! I guess most people just know better and understand the entertainment was brought into the establishment and paid for by the establishment to bring people in to eat/drink and make additional revenue

That's why the cover charge was invented;). This is probably one of those regional things (or maybe even establishment to establishment things). If I went for the entertainment I would at least order a coke (which is why minimum drink order were invented, too;)).

I'm not going to argue but IMO a bar on land is not the same as a bar on a ship. I think if you aren't going to drink you shouldn't sit at the actual bar but I see nothing wrong with someone sitting in the area listening to music. Your "entrance fee" to the bar and entertainment at that bar is part of your cruise fare. Drink purchases are not necessary.

Last cruise, my DH & I went & sat down in the piano bar for a while. The drink we ordered was finished but we wanted to sit & listen to the music. The place wasn't crowded. Is it okay to just sit & enjoy the music? In a regular eatery or bar outside of a cruise ship, I would feel compelled to either order another drink or leave (vs tie up a table) but on a cruise ship, I'm thinking that this might be different since we've paid to be on the ship. thought on this?

Sit and enjoy the entertainment, why not?

I order a Bon Voyage bottle and carry on wine for me and my wife carries some on for me as well. When we hit a bar I take a bottle with me, be it my wine or rum bottle. I ask for a glass and enjoy it without ever being hassled and saving plenty o' bucks.

Archived