going to bars & not drinking

4spring

Last cruise, my DH & I went & sat down in the piano bar for a while. The drink we ordered was finished but we wanted to sit & listen to the music. The place wasn't crowded. Is it okay to just sit & enjoy the music? In a regular eatery or bar outside of a cruise ship, I would feel compelled to either order another drink or leave (vs tie up a table) but on a cruise ship, I'm thinking that this might be different since we've paid to be on the ship. thought on this?

Same here. Wife doesn't drink, and I'll have a beer or two max per day on a cruise these days, yet we enjoy going to the different lounges and enjoy the bands and dance.

Never felt as if I was out of place or as if I was taking someone's spot. :)

RudeChuck - LOL!

thanks everyone for the feedback. Definitely won't feel bad about doing this then. What other bars are fun to sit & listen to music in? We'll be on the Fascination in 4 days(!!!). I keep reading about Karaoke - where's that take place (not one to do it but find it fun to listen to others).

The ONLY comment I would have is that sometimes people are kinda waiting for that primo seat......:D

I paid for my cruise like everyone else. Where is it written that I must have a drink in my hand while sitting and listening and singing along to the piano player?

Ashamed to admit (not really), I almost always have a drink in my hand while cruising, but I don't pay attention to who's drinking and who's not. It would never occur to me that I had more of a right to a seat at the bar than someone who wasn't drinking.

In the Comedy club, I've gotten some scrunchy faces from waiters when I didn't order a drink, but as 1/2 the folks around me were ordering and the guy never came around to many tables, no cruise passenger ever said a word about it.

Just don't leave a shoe on the bar stool and leave for a half hour, cuz I will move your stuff and take your seat ...

Oops, wrong thread :o

"LIKE":D

The DH and I are social drinkers, we'll have a glass of wine and share it or I'll drink it alone. If the DH is with a guy friend, he will drink a beer and that's it. We've sat and enjoyed music at all the different bars on our cruises and never felt out of place if we didn't order a drink. Sometimes I just order a soda and nurse it for awhile.:D

Sure. Just like there's no rule you can't be in the front row of the show lounge and sleep.

OK... What's next? You shouldn't have a lounge chair next to the pool if you don't go in the pool often enough? Or you shouldn't be allowed to have a balcony AND take a lounge chair on the Lido deck?

I paid for my cruise like everyone else. Where is it written that I must have a drink in my hand while sitting and listening and singing along to the piano player?

Not written anywhere, so do your thing.:D It wouldn't make sense to require that a passenger buy a drink to enjoy music in one of the bars. What about the people that don't drink alcohol, should they not have a right to sit and watch the show? I guess they could order a soda like I do sometimes, but still, that would mean there is a cover charge of having to buy a drink to be there and there isn't any such thing on cruise ships that I know of, unless it's some specialty-type bar, like one of those Ice bars or something, I think they do have a cover charge for that.

The ONLY comment I would have is that sometimes people are kinda waiting for that primo seat......:D

I KIND of agree with you. If the place isn't crowded it isn't a big deal because you can always find a seat, but if it is standing room only and you are trying to get a drink, you kind of need to be at the bar or a table to get service while those not drinking can stand anywhere. I certainly don't mind standing, but sometimes you can't get a drink if you aren't at a bar or table without almost sitting on someone else's lap...

You can sit anywhere for as long as you like except at the table in the MDR, eventually they will kick you out of there:D

Archived