Boarding question

My family had decided to book a cruise (which leaves this Sunday) with family friends of my 2 teenage boys. Their friend (18 yrs) is in the Canadian Armed Forces, and has been called to serve this weekend. He won't get done in Toronto Canada until 2pm on Sunday. Our ship leaves at 4pm. He is now thinking of meeting up with us on Monday in Key West. Do you think there will be any problem with him flying down to Key West, and boarding there? His family will be driving down with us to Miami, and we will be leaving tomorrow.

Has anyone ever heard of boarding a cruise after it has already set sail, and meeting up at the first port??? I think the family should be calling Carnival, and letting them know about this tonight.

Boarding in Key West and debarking in Miami violates PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act) and generates a $300 (or so) fine to the cruise line...They will not allow it. But he could join Wed. in Grand Cayman. EM

Boarding in Key West and debarking in Miami violates PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act) and generates a $300 (or so) fine to the cruise line...They will not allow it. But he could join Wed. in Grand Cayman. EM

The passenger would be boarding in Key West,continuing the cruise and returning to Miami,correct? How would this be a violation? Aren't there other ports?

chicasarita is correct. For any cruise that starts in one US port and ends in another US port (which would be the case for this one person), the cruise must visit a distant foreign port. A nearby foreign port is not good enough. Mexican ports, Canadian, Central American, Bermuda, & Bahamas ports are all considered nearby foreign ports. Most Caribbean ports are considered nearby. Aruba & Curacao are 2 exceptions. I don't know if the other Netherlands Antilles are considered distant or not. But this definition would certainly make Jamaica & Grand Cayman nearby foreign ports.

When Carnival does their 15-day Panama Canal cruise from New York to LA next year on the Miracle, the ports in Grand Turk, Central America, & Mexico are not enough to be in compliance. That is why they are stopping in Columbia (South America). Without that stop, that entire cruise would be in violation. There have been cases where a person was able to get on the ship in Puerto Rico or St Thomas after the cruise had started (and will end) in Florida. That has been allowed, because those ports have somehow been classified as foreign ports. But Key West is not; it's a US port.

So it would be a violation of the act to get on in Key West and get off in Miami. Carnival might allow it and charge the fine to the man, but Carnival would be taking a risk in doing so, because they are knowingly violating the act. If anyone knows of cases where people have tried or done this with Key West or other US ports (not Virign Islands or Puerto Rico), whether they were fined or not, please come on here and let the OP know about it.

It is an outdated ridiculous law, and was never intended to cause these kinds of problems. It still serves a few purposes, but it's sent so much money and jobs to other countries. The law desperately needs to be revised.

Thank you for all your replies. The family has called Carnival, and apparently been told it will be ok to board in Key West. They did not mention any extra fines to be paid

I would make Carnival send that to me in an email so I'd have proof someone told you that.....just in case there is confusion and differing answers just as there have been on this thread. Never hurts to have too much documentation.

I would make Carnival send that to me in an email so I'd have proof someone told you that.....just in case there is confusion and differing answers just as there have been on this thread. Never hurts to have too much documentation.

Fully agree to get that in an OFFICIAL email from the company. Make sure they send a file with official company letterhead. And before you sail.

Archived