Solistice

wilko1969

ls Ive done a cruise on the Rhapsody of the sea and Pacific Dawn .Im thinking of doing a cruise on the Solstice.Just wondering the differences.AND people who have cruised on the Solstice what they thought of the ship

Thinking of cruising from Auckland to Australia

Many thanks

Tracey

ls Ive done a cruise on the Rhapsody of the sea and Pacific Dawn .Im thinking of doing a cruise on the Solstice.Just wondering the differences.AND people who have cruised on the Solstice what they thought of the ship

Thinking of cruising from Auckland to Australia

Many thanks

Tracey

Hi Wilko1969,

We are NEW Cruisers, so the Solstice was our first ship (January 2012)... we found her stunning in her beauty... both architecturally, gorgeous public spaces, and cabin layout... BUT also in the great collection of art etc (a marvel around ever corner)

For a ship with so many people aboard (2850 Passengers and aprox 1400 Crew = 4200+), the flow is good... we never felt crowded. Lots of places to sit in every venue we visited, and lots of open space...

Hopefully TLCOHIO will see this posting, and put up some of their amazing photos (or you could also use GOOGLE) as this is the "flagship" of Celebrity's Fleet (and the first one introduced in the Solstice Class back in 2008) there are lots of photos of her online.

Cheers!

Hi Wilko1969,

We are NEW Cruisers, so the Solstice was our first ship (January 2012)... we found her stunning in her beauty... both architecturally, gorgeous public spaces, and cabin layout... BUT also in the great collection of art etc (a marvel around ever corner)

For a ship with so many people aboard (2850 Passengers and aprox 1400 Crew = 4200+), the flow is good... we never felt crowded. Lots of places to sit in every venue we visited, and lots of open space...

Hopefully TLCOHIO will see this posting, and put up some of their amazing photos (or you could also use GOOGLE) as this is the "flagship" of Celebrity's Fleet (and the first one introduced in the Solstice Class back in 2008) there are lots of photos of her online.

Cheers!

Agree, lots of great spaces and Terry does have some great pictures. Another advantage of Celebrity are no announcements other than the Captains mid day talk. Keeps things nice and quiet. My favorite spot is the Solarium, Australia is very lucky to get the ship.

Agree, lots of great spaces and Terry does have some great pictures. Another advantage of Celebrity are no announcements other than the Captains mid day talk. Keeps things nice and quiet. My favorite spot is the Solarium, Australia is very lucky to get the ship.

Appreciate the kind mention from Don. YES, it is great that the Solstice is headed "down under"!! We are hoping to sail on the Solstice in early 2014 for an Auckland to Sydney routing. Australia and cruisers are lucky to have such a nice ship doing this routing.

On Tracey's good question of "people who have cruised on the Solstice what they thought of the ship"? Here are a couple of quick comments and a few of my pictures to back up my liking of this well-designed ship and its nice offerings. BUT, you can see lots more details and visuals for the food, ship, entertainment, etc., from my live/blog below. Check out those details and judge for yourself. Agree with Don so much for the wonderful Solarium. See below the evidence for our opinions on that lesser-used feature of the ship that is so super relaxing.

These Celebrity ships are innovative, yet simple—clean and crisp with an edgy vibe that is very classy . . . and modern!

Solstice Speciality Dining Photos/Tips:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1434523&page=2

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 68,427 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

This is a view of the Solstice main pool area. Love the sun and activities here!:

SolsticeMainPoolView2.jpg

For entertainment in the Solstice Theatre, it was called “Solstice -- The Show” featuring a European-style dance, air acts, music, etc. Very dramatic and interesting as they swing, twirl and soar over the audience and stage. It is a “state-of-the-art” theatre with these "Cirque-type" dancers being able to “do their thing”. Here is one example of the “air show” put on by the show performers.:

SolsticeAirShowFinalTwo.jpg

I liked to ride one of the eight glass elevators in the mid-ship courtyard with nice views out to the different floors, enjoying the ship architecture, people being active, etc. You can see the relaxing library in this shot. Classy design on this ship! Some tradition, but not too dated or old.:

SolsticeElevatorsGlassHighView.jpg

This is a view looking up in the Solstice central lobby with a music group playing there.:

SolsticeLobbyUpView.jpg

The Solarium was one of our favorite areas on the Solstice. Food and drinks were nearby and it was very relaxed and sophisticated. Quieter, too, as it is an adults-only area. Two hot tubs here. Not crowded, especially in the evenings. Nice art and design are there as a part of this sparkling ship facility.:

SolsticeSolariumSunnyDay.jpg

On the top, back of the Solstice, here is a wider view of Corning Hot Glass show area, plus the green grass and the unique covering designs for this special area of the ship.:

SolsticeGlassGrassBack.jpg

Thanks for all the infor and pictures love them

Glad we've been helpful. Here, Tracey, are a few more tips and ideas through some of my added pictures, especially for some of the varied food options on the ship. Lots to see, do and like on this Solstice ship.

Don’t be shy and feel free to follow-up, ask added and/or more detailed questions. The only "dumb question" is the one you don't ask.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 68,427 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

This is an overview for how the whole main part of the open, central MDR was taken over by the various stations of food, ice carving, treats, etc., for a special mid-day brunch on a sea day.:

SolsticeBuffetOverallTwoHigh.jpg

Many times at the pool in the afternoons, the “party band” was going at it with great tunes, adding to the fun and excitement around the pool area. Just like done by some famous California pop groups, we were hearing “fun, fun, fun” underneath the sun!!:

SolsticePartyBandAtPool.jpg

For the handy and quick Oceanview Cafe buffet, here is one visual sample showing how large and open are these various serving areas. This area includes getting items from the pizza-pasta bar area, various hot and cold items, free tea and juice machines, etc.:

SolsticeOceanviewBuffet1.jpg

Doing dining “family-style” is especially fun in an Asian-style setting such as Silk Harvest. That sharing of the experience adds to the fun and interest. For sushi, they put together a nice variety of options and the waiter did an added sauce option that was great to test and vary the flavors. Liked it LOTS here at Silk Harvest!! Testing new things is a good value/purpose for such cruises and these types of dining options. Fun, also!!:

SolsticeSilkHarvestSushi-1.jpg

Earlier on our cruise in the Solstice Theatre, there was a show called “Pulse” that featured the great ship orchestra, plus much dancing, singing, entertaining, etc. Lots and energy and good talents on the ship.:

SolsticeShowPulseTwo.jpg

WE are in our mid 40s I heard that we would be duck out of water as mainly people in there 60 and 70s.

We are looking at early 2014 from Auckland to sydney.

WE are off to fiji next year on the Rhapsody

Just trying to get as much info as possible

What are the activities like on celebrity are they simular to the Rhapsody

Thanks ago

Tracey

WE are in our mid 40s I heard that we would be duck out of water as mainly people in there 60 and 70s. We are looking at early 2014 from Auckland to sydney. WE are off to fiji next year on the Rhapsody. Just trying to get as much info as possible. What are the activities like on celebrity are they simular to the Rhapsody. Thanks ago. Tracey

Since I've never been on the Rhapsody, it is hard for me to give you an exact comparison to anything on that ship.

On the age mix for the Solstice, the crowd is going to be a little older in January-March 2014 as younger families are less flexible due to school, work schedules and not able to get off for that much time to go that far from the U.S. Canada, Europe, etc., to do this type of cruise that takes at least two weeks for your cruise plus all of the long logistics, etc. Based on talking with friends who have done these areas and others with lots of time on Celebrity, this type of cruise does attract a "more activity" group, regardless of actual age. Getting there, this far and landing in some ports with lots of outdoor activities, means an older but still fairly to very involved and more "vigor" crowd. In your mid 40's, I don't think you'll feel out of place and/or uncomfortable. It's not like on some cruises out of Miami where it is that easy to just roll the "old folks" from the nursing home on to the ship. It takes lots of energy and effort just to get to New Zealand.

On this twelve-day cruise, you will have four sea days, plus another day for sailing world-class scenic sounds, etc. It's not like doing a long trans-ocean cruise with five to seven sea days in a row. On sea days, Celebrity seems pretty good in offering various programs, speakers, etc., plus the usual pool, spa, exercise, buffet, etc., activities.

The pictures make me want to jump on the ship right now. Pity i have to work to earn money to go cruising. Thank you for all the postive feedback. Thanks. Tracey

Yes, that working for money and those schedule demandss do make getting certain cruises planned and done more challenging. Like you, we are awaiting those early 2014 NZ-Aust. schedules to come out. As I understand from another thread on this board, those will be coming out in the next two weeks, later this month. The good news with the Solstice is that there's lots of space/capacity on the ship and most all of the rooms are balconies, etc., at a somewhat reasonable pricing/value.

Glad to know my pictures make you "want to jump on the ship right now". I'll have to be checking my mail box for a commission check coming from the Celebrity folks. Keep the good questions rolling along.

What a beautiful ship

Has anyone got any pics of the cabins?

I know it comes down to personal choice and budget but would like any opinions. Especially on the suites and rooms with balconies

Thanks in advance

Thanks for anwering my questions as u hear so much u never know whats true and not.

Does anyone know when u they have releasing cruises for early 2014

I will probably have more question later .

Tracey

Hi Wilko1969,

I'd say that the majority demographics for Celebrity currently span from folks in their 30s to their 70s (with some certainly in their 20s and also in their 80s... lol, and beyond... what I like to call "the young at hearts").

Our experience this past January (Solstice - January 15th Sailing) was perfect when it came to a mix of entertainment and activities... no belly flop contests... but lots of Wine & Food activities, computer instruction, keynote speakers, dance classes and "behind the scenes" tours... something for everyone all day long... (trying to cram it all in between time ashore visiting interesting ports of call proved problematic... lol, have to plan another cruise to "do" more ;) )

You can find the recent thread about the 2013/14 Celebrity Deployments, and when each Geographic Region will be announced here... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1569740

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

What a beautiful ship

Has anyone got any pics of the cabins?

I know it comes down to personal choice and budget but would like any opinions. Especially on the suites and rooms with balconies

Thanks in advance

Hi ASHNMAR,

For pictures of the Solstice Cabins you could certainly start with Celebrity’s own Website = http://www.celebritycruises.com/explore/ships/detail.do?shipCode=SL#staterooms/explore/ships/staterooms.do%3FshipCode=SL you will find a full description there of each type of accommodation category etc.

On these new S-Class Ships (Solstice – Equinox – Eclipse – and Silhouette) the accommodations are similar for the categories Inside – Ocean View – Deluxe Ocean View Verandas (including Sunset) - Concierge Class – and Aqua Class. The biggest difference being where they are located, and if they have an oversized balcony.

The exception to the rule here are the Family Veranda’s (FVs) that can accommodate 5 passengers, and the Accessible Cabins… both of these are a bit more spacious… but are designed for passengers that have specific requirements (you have to call Celebrity direct to book them)

Concierge and Aqua Class differ over "regular" cabins primarily in their “extra” amenities… and a few more square feet (195 vs 175). These two categories are most popular with passengers who want a few more luxuries when they cruise (upgraded showers, linens, afternoon hors d’ouvres, footstools on their balconies, etc). Lol, you’ll find that most Celebrity Pax seem to have an affinity for one class over the other (some swear by Aqua Class because they LOVE the Blu Dining Room which is reserved for AQ Passengers)

The biggest difference in regards to size and layout of staterooms comes at the Suites level on S-Class Ships...

Sky Suite = 300 Square Feet

Celebrity Suite = 394 Square Feet

Royal Suite = 590 Square Feet

Penthouse Suite = 1291 Square Feet

There are some more amenities offered at the Suite levels, but the biggest difference does seem to be spaciousness (and cost)

There are certainly tons of pictures of the S-Class Staterooms linked here on the CC CELEBRITY BOARD… in various topics, and also look for info on pics and reviews found in the “signature” block of many CC Members. (Or you could always use GOOGLE to find some)…

A good place though for a “general overview” of the “regular” Staterooms might be found by taking a look at the topic entitled *Celebrity Solstice Storage (S-Class Ships)* = http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1560620 which has many photos and general info about what one can expect from these ships when it comes to Accommodations

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

PS… The largest balconies on the S-Class Ships outside of Suites, tend to be found with the Staterooms that are “on the angles” on and off of “the bump” (at the front of the ship) and “the hump” midship… these ships not having straight sides…. Take a look at the Solstice’s Deck Plans to fully understand this. (For example, I was in # 1120 on the Deck 10 on my January 2012 Solstice Cruise, and it is one of the largest balconies on the ship for a Concierge Class cabin)

Archived