Being "trapped" during cirque dreams on NCL Epic?

flipflops84

Hi everyone! We will be taking our first NCL cruise on the Epic soon and it's time to start thinking about making dinner reservations. We are very interested in the Cirque Dreams show, but I'm a little put off by a review I read on another website. Someone said that once the show starts you are told that there will be no intermission and you cannot get up or leave your table until the 2-3 hour show is over. Is this true? What if I want to get up and wash my hands or use the restroom? Please let me know if you were "trapped" during the show :) thanks

Hi everyone! We will be taking our first NCL cruise on the Epic soon and it's time to start thinking about making dinner reservations. We are very interested in the Cirque Dreams show, but I'm a little put off by a review I read on another website. Someone said that once the show starts you are told that there will be no intermission and you cannot get up or leave your table until the 2-3 hour show is over. Is this true? What if I want to get up and wash my hands or use the restroom? Please let me know if you were "trapped" during the show :) thanks

The show is maybe an hour long, maybe a smidge longer. Go to the bathroom first and you'll be good. It's a small space, you can't really move around in there without putting the performers at risk.

The show is performed in the aisles, right next to your seats and in the center of the "Tent" so walking about during the show is not allowed for the safety of you and the performers. It's not so long that you should feel "trapped". If there is a medical issue or small children then maybe this may not be a good fit for your group for entertainment. Hope not because I've heard that it's an interesting show.

If you're worried, get an upstairs seat where you won't interfere with performers if you need to exit for some reason. However, as stated, it's maybe 75-90 minutes if I recall, not multiple hours

Definately saw people get up to use the washroom. You just have to be conscious of people in the aisles.

They may "say" stay seated, but you aren't at gunpoint....and there's no plank leading off the side of the ship.

If you're worried, get an upstairs seat where you won't interfere with performers if you need to exit for some reason. However, as stated, it's maybe 75-90 minutes if I recall, not multiple hours

Mike,

We sat upstairs for the show and the violinist performed right next to us. Those performers move very swiftly when they need to get from point A to point B in a hurry.

We sat in the upper level and there were people getting up throughout the show

We must have had a very quiet and more settled group of passengers when we saw the show. I don't recall anyone getting up and moving around (except the performers of course).

Definately saw people get up to use the washroom. You just have to be conscious of people in the aisles.

They may "say" stay seated, but you aren't at gunpoint....and there's no plank leading off the side of the ship.

Of course you don't have to follow the "rules" or safety requirements. Why should you cause your self any inconvenience or worry about the safety of the performers.

If sitting for 90 minutes is not possible, either sit topside or skip this show.

This is one of the biggest myths of Epic ever since that cruise reviewer posted it (saying you are trapped during the peformance) in his magazine when Epic was new. You are not "trapped" in Cirque Dreams. The show is not more than an hour long and does not interfere with normal use of a restroom.

There is a quick intermission when they bring the food or dessert. If you really had to go, that would be the time.

Of course it is common sense to not have people up in their seats wandering around the tent with people on high wires and waiters shuffling around.

Even for children who cant keep still, this show can be for them since there is lots to keep your attention.

Of course you don't have to follow the "rules" or safety requirements. Why should you cause your self any inconvenience or worry about the safety of the performers.

If sitting for 90 minutes is not possible, either sit topside or skip this show.

Thank you!!!!!!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the point of that post was to more or less reassure the op that the overall feeling isnt one of being trapped and sjbdtz was not suggesting to jump around and cause safety issues for the heck of it.

Thank you!!!!!!

I just re-read the OP's question, and see just that, a question. Where did they state they wanted to break the rules?

My question is why would anyone want to come here to ask a question, if the thread is bound to end up with sarcastic, rather than helpful comments?

As another poster stated, I don't think you are held at gunpoint. So stating being trapped I think would be over dramatic.

I'm sure you are asked, as also been stated for safety reasons not to get up during the show.

But am I the only one that has been raised to believe that unless it is absolutely necessary that you exit, that it is rude to leave during any performance.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the point of that post was to more or less reassure the op that the overall feeling isnt one of being trapped and sjbdtz was not suggesting to jump around and cause safety issues for the heck of it.

Glad to see some people can read. Thank you.

I will have to find the article but the word "trapped" did not originate with the OP. There is a famous travel/cruise magazine that did a full review of the Epic. The reviewer used that word "trapped" in his review of this show.

http://www.frommers.com/articles/6876.html

Is this the article you were speaking about?

As others have stated, it certainly depends on where you are sitting. Up in the balcony, or in one of the wall booths, I suppose you could sneak out. I was sitting in the front row and my back was facing one of the aisles that the performers run up and down. If I had scooted my chair back to stand up I would have probably caused a great disturbance. The show is only about an hour long, though. I had no problem sitting there for that period of time because that show was mesmerizing! (I still dream about bathtub guy)

Honestly the show was so fascinating that I couldn't even tell you how long it was. I certainly wasn't thinking about how to escape! Like others have said pee before you go and you'll be fine.

Ditto, I didn't even know when the desert came :D It's not terribly long, however it does keep your interest.

As others have stated, it certainly depends on where you are sitting. Up in the balcony, or in one of the wall booths, I suppose you could sneak out. I was sitting in the front row and my back was facing one of the aisles that the performers run up and down. If I had scooted my chair back to stand up I would have probably caused a great disturbance. The show is only about an hour long, though. I had no problem sitting there for that period of time because that show was mesmerizing! (I still dream about bathtub guy)

Bathtub guy flung water on my desert:o Only down side to the show.

The linked Frommer's article states that the show is 2 hours long. The OP wrote 2-3 hours. Others on this thread have indicated otherwise. Can anyone say definitively how long the show runs? I find it hard to believe that it's anywhere near 2 hours long, but I haven't been on the Epic so I have no firsthand knowledge.

Archived