The One Most Valuable Princess Tip

happyvalley

I'm going to give you the most valuable tip for your cruise on Princess. Based on my experience, few, even long-time cruisers, seem to know about it. But it's information you'll use every day during your cruise, and usually several times a day. On my last cruise I told two confused-looking people about it and now they are enlightened. Sure, you can look at the deck diagram off the elevators/stairs, but for that you have to be right next to the map, rather than in the middle of the ship where you are faced with the dilemma when arriving at your deck and going to your cabin: which side do I go?

So just what is this valuable information?

The carpet color. On all Princess ships the carpet in the hallways is mostly all blue, with a key difference. On the port (left) side of the ship the carpet in the hallways has a red border. On the starboard (right) side of the ship the carpet has a blue border.

So when getting off the elevators or stairs onto your deck, if your cabin is on the port side, look for the red border on the carpet and go to that hallway. And if your cabin is on the starboard side, look for the all-blue carpet and go to that hallway. It's easy to remember: port-red and starboard-blue.

See the attached photo for a view of the carpet on the port (red) side.

Hope you find this tip useful, because it comes in handy every time!

319511559_carpet1-Copy(640x389).jpg.a531f283a055817b7bb6c5aef7eaa413.jpg

Another tip about the carpet in the cabin hallways... the curl will let you know whether you are heading forward or aft. Our room steward let us know about this tip on our Caribbean cruise. We had not had a midship cabin before this cruise and have always been either forward or aft which makes it easy to figure out which direction you want to head. We were thrown off of our bearings until she mentioned this to us. It was a great piece of info.

Our friend who sailed with the Canadian Navy told us this secret when we were on our cruise in Feb. It was my third cruise and I had never noticed the colour difference in the carpet. Just the even/odd numbers depending on which side you were on. I thought everyone knew it except me. Haha.

I learned the carpet trick years ago reading cruise critic... I never have told my husband because I think its funny he never knows which way to go when getting off the elevator..(HAHAHA)...I have a horrible sense of direction so he thinks its amazing that I can find our way off the elevator and know the direction to our room. :)

I learned the carpet trick years ago reading cruise critic... I never have told my husband because I think its funny he never knows which way to go when getting off the elevator..(HAHAHA)...I have a horrible sense of direction so he thinks its amazing that I can find our way off the elevator and know the direction to our room. :)

I won't be telling my girlfriend either. She likes making new friends. And I always need more time.

Sorry but the new carpeting on the Star after the dry dock is NOT pink on one side of the ship and blue on the other. We sailed in January and had to regroup! Karen

Aw crap, I didn't see your post before I made my earlier post. Oh well, I have a pretty good sense of direction and if we get lost on Star I'll just call it an 'adventure' :)

Another easy tip is that all elevators (minus the two glass elevators) all face forward. So no matter which one you're in you'll always turn the same way when heading towards your room.

That was not the case on the Coral Princess. The mid-ship elevators pointed aft.

I agree that the carpet tip is the best tip of all. We've used it for many cruises and it helps us for doing the "cha cha cha" when we exit the elevator.

Archived