The One Most Valuable Princess Tip

happyvalley

Sorry but the new carpeting on the Star after the dry dock is NOT pink on one side of the ship and blue on the other. We sailed in January and had to regroup! Karen

YIKES! :eek: Since I'm on the STAR to Alaska this summer, I was already committing to memory that nifty 'trick'. I tend to have a lousy sense of direction so this could have been helpful! :(

Thanks for the tip. I'm always wandering up and down both sides of the hall trying to find my cabin (especially after a cocktail or two). I just sent this to our newbie friends that are sailing with us as a helpful hint so I'm sure they are saying THANKS too. :D

I learned the carpet trick years ago reading cruise critic... I never have told my husband because I think its funny he never knows which way to go when getting off the elevator..(HAHAHA)...I have a horrible sense of direction so he thinks its amazing that I can find our way off the elevator and know the direction to our room. :)

:D We'll never tell!

That was not the case on the Coral Princess. The mid-ship elevators pointed aft.

Doesn't invalidate the helpfulness of the tip, to pay attention to which way the lift is facing, which in my opinion is much easier than worrying about carpet colours. I've never paid any attention to the carpet colour but I've never walked down the wrong side of the ship because I know instinctively which way I'm facing when I get in the elevator.

Now if I could have just gotten it fixed in my head that the coffee bar/Patisserie is starboard instead of port on the Coral, I wouldn't have felt like we were sailing backwards every time I looked out the window there . . .

i learned the carpet trick years ago reading cruise critic... I never have told my husband because i think its funny he never knows which way to go when getting off the elevator..(hahaha)...i have a horrible sense of direction so he thinks its amazing that i can find our way off the elevator and know the direction to our room. :)

: ) smilies not working for me.

Four letters = left

port

hook

fork

more than 4 letters = right

starboard

slice

knife

I think there may be another one or two but it works for me.

framer;)

My way of remembering is similar to this but

all the short words: Port-Left-Red

all the long words: Starboard-Right-Blue

For those who can't tell their left from their right. If you hold up your left hand with the thumb out it makes an L. This is good for little kids too.

Also, not sure if it's universal throughout the fleet, but the carpet color on the stairs is different for each bank, at least on the Princess ships I've been on. If I remember correctly, the aft stairs are red, the mid blue, and the forward stairs green.

We just did our first HAL cruise and their carpets were identical in the hallways, and all the stairwells were the same. Also, you couldn't see the odd/even cabin numbers when you got off the lifts. You had to actually enter the hallway to see the numbers. Made me crazy.

Sorry but the new carpeting on the Star after the dry dock is NOT pink on one side of the ship and blue on the other. We sailed in January and had to regroup! Karen

so it is the same carpet on both sides?? Maybe they are different on different decks, and the installers messed up. (I'm a construction engineer, things like this happen, and often go unchanged.)

I remember someone telling me this info on my first Princess Cruise. It's such a small but utterly important detail for so many people. You don't know how many times I've walked off the elevator and seen people trying to figure out which way to turn. Its actually pretty comical sometimes. People are so thankful when you tell them this little tidbit of info

For those who can't tell their left from their right. If you hold up your left hand with the thumb out it makes an L. This is good for little kids too.

For my students who often "forget" which is their right hand while pledging allegiance to the flag--this will get some mileage! Thanks for this!

msk1

The same color scheme works for ships/boats/airplanes and their running lights - red (shorter word than green) is always left/port, while green (longer word) is always right/starboard. Thus you can tell whether a ship or plane is coming toward you or going away.

It's nice that Princess carpets follow a similar scheme where red/left/port is shorter than blue/right/starboard.

I didn't know about the curls in the carpet, but will take note in a couple of months when I'm back again. Thanks!

Too bad for my DH that he is color blind! Reds in particular give him trouble so I think he better just stick to the signs by the elevator that say Port or Starboard or he might just end up wandering to the wrong room. For those of us who can discern color it is a nice guideline. Thanks for the reminder!

Archived