Passover aboard ship?

derf5585

We were on the Glory on Easter Sunday, and we were scheduled to dock in Key West at noon. I thought, "Surely, there will be some sort of service or mention, at least, of Easter." The Camp Carnival crew had a little egg hunt with the kids, who got goodie bags, but that's all I saw. (And I WAS looking!)

And before anyone slams me for being on vacation during this important religious holiday, if it was that important to me -- I am a teacher, so my "during the school year" vacation options are limited. DH wanted to take a cruise, and he found this one. The summer ones were more highly priced, and again, I am a teacher.

I was very happy with the cruise in general, but I was surprised that no service appeared in the list of activities, especially when a post on this board led me to believe that a brief service would occur.

According to Carnival's website:

When available, a clergyman will be on board for Christmas, Easter, Passover, Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur; this is subject to availability of booking clergymen during their most holy days.

Understandable... most clergy I would imagine would want to be w/their congregation on holy days, not on a cruise ship...

According to Carnival's website:

When available, a clergyman will be on board for Christmas, Easter, Passover, Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur; this is subject to availability of booking clergymen during their most holy days.

Understandable... most clergy I would imagine would want to be w/their congregation on holy days, not on a cruise ship...

Well, I won't pretend to speak for clergyMEN, but as a clergyWOMAN, I wouldn't mind having the same opportunity to vacation around those Holy Days that lay people have! If all I had to do during Holy Week was ONE Easter Sunday service (without doing Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Vigil, etc), believe me, that would be a much lighter workload than I'm accustomed to!

(And I won't even go into the fact that the cruise lines seem clueless about the fact that there are women serving in ministry......why not just say "a member of the clergy" rather than assume we're all men????? OOPS.....I guess I did go there! LOL)

Well, I won't pretend to speak for clergyMEN, but as a clergyWOMAN, I wouldn't mind having the same opportunity to vacation around those Holy Days that lay people have! If all I had to do during Holy Week was ONE Easter Sunday service (without doing Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Vigil, etc), believe me, that would be a much lighter workload than I'm accustomed to!

(And I won't even go into the fact that the cruise lines seem clueless about the fact that there are women serving in ministry......why not just say "a member of the clergy" rather than assume we're all men????? OOPS.....I guess I did go there! LOL)

LOL, they seem to be quite behind the times!!!!! And I am sure it would be a lighter load for sure (especially now in your condition ;) :D ), it certainly is a busy week for services!!! BUT!!!!!!!!!!!! Your faithful would miss you!!! Okay, so, once you have your bundle of joy, do you think the congregation would go for having a group cruise over Easter???? LOL....

Generally cruise lines/ships WILL NOT be able to handle all the special cleaning and dietary restrictions mandated by formal observance of Passover. It requires a complete kitchen wash down, which cannot be done ahead, including all prep areas, stoves, freezers and refrigerators and NOTHING without the kosher for passover label can be placed in/put on these. Only specially labeled kosher for passover food and spice items can be cooked/used. A totally separate set of each, for dairy and another for meat, pots, pans, cookware, dishes and glasses are required.

As a result, only if the entire ship is chartered will there be a Passover cruise and that is usually an affiliated group with its own rabbi to lead all the services.

I personally am not that observant to require that much cleaning and separate dishes, cookware and glassware. I do not keep kosher in my home. I do clean out my fridge and 1 or 2 kitchen cabinets. I do not change all my dishes and cookware. I use all my regualr spices and condiments.

Don't worry-the catholics seem to forget about us too. For being such Christians they sure turn their back on many.

Born and raised Catholic-Deserter by choice!

Now that Passover is over who "kept" Passover

I'm guility, I didn't

Is this a trick question? Anyone who really kept kosher is not posting on this board on Shabbat.

I hate to be the bearer of "good" news, but Passover ends Sunday night when three stars are visible.

Is this a trick question? Anyone who really kept kosher is not posting on this board on Shabbat.

I hate to be the bearer of "good" news, but Passover ends Sunday night when three stars are visible.

It is raining tonight so do I have to wait for the three wise stars?

I just went across the international dating line so it is now tommorow.

Good Point! I had a female Rabbi, and I am sure she would love to have been a Rabbi on a Cruise. Where we once had just 1 female Rabbi, we now have 3 in our community and it is really awesome. I would think that the Clergy people who do these cruises are retired. I had an online friend who was a retired Rabbi and he used to do cruises during the High Holidays, Chanukkah and Passover. I just wonder if they do Seders on the cruises, and/or provide Matzah and Kosher for Passover foods!

Well, If you are orthodox, possibly conservative, would you not be posting on Shabbat, and you would keep kosher for Passover until Sunday when you see 3 stars in the sky. But if you are a member of the Reform Judaism, then you would be fine posting today (which I am). But I confess, I broke Passover on Wednesday. I was a bad girl this year. Last year I kept it till the vey last afternoon! I was at Saul's Deli in Berkeley and I could have had Matzah Brei but could not resist the Patty Melt! lol:eek:

Don't worry-the catholics seem to forget about us too. For being such Christians they sure turn their back on many.

Born and raised Catholic-Deserter by choice!

Renee, I see you are in Tacony. Originally from Bridesburg (family still lives there amongst the chemicals...:rolleyes: )

I don't know about Passover but we were on a cruise over Rosh Hashanah (normally wouldn't but the repositioning through the Panama Canal of the Paradise was too good to pass up). They had services in a small room off of one of the dining rooms. A woman from Florida conducted the service. She had a short service that a local rabbi had helped her compose (she had handed out a small packet of papers with the service on it). It lasted about 20 minutes. It was not that good but better than nothing. There were 2 very long Challahs (I guess Carnival does not know how to bake round) that were delicious. Plenty of leftovers (one whole challah) so several of us took a lot so we could bring some to share at dinner with our tablemates. there were about 50 people at the service at sundown. The next morning we went to the service again. Same service but now only about 20-25 people. Some were different that had not been there the night before. Again more Challah and again delicious. (sounds even better now because I have not had bread in 7 days!). Of all the people at the services there was actually one crew member. He was the assistant maitre d' on the lido deck. He looked hispanic and had a hispanic last name but was raised in Australia. He was interesting to talk to. He said he usually plans the Chanuka parties on whatever ship he is on. The woman who conducted the service said Carnival basically gives her a free cruise. She was getting off the ship when we were and staying in LA a few days then getting back on for the 3 day cruise to conduct the Yom Kippur services. I wonder how many Jews who actually cruise on a 3 day are really interested in going to services?

I am reform and was observant until Fri dinner (after a 9 hour work day, frozen pizzia for dinner). I even skipped buying a half off tray of croissants at my local supermarket due to the holiday and I LOVE crossaints.

I am reformed and did observe until breakfast today. Can't reply about other holidays but was on Princess one year over Chanukah. We had a group that lit Menorahs everyevening and the ship provided latkes, herring and other small appetizers. They really went out of their way to show us they wanted to help us observe our holiday. There were also decorations and large electric Monoraks outside the dining room and they lit anotehr bulb each evening.

Unfortunately, the last few cruises I've been on we haven't been able to get enough people interested in signing up to observe Shabbat. A couple of weeks ago on Rhapsody of the Seas there was only me and one man. Too bad. I've always enjoyed the fellowship of meeting the others on a cruise.

Norma

Archived