Cunard and P&O Change Mobility Scooter Policy

zider

We also got the letter from Cunard and were rather upset. First of all let me say that I thoroughly agree that nothing should ever be left in the hallway - no problem with that rule and I wish it were enforced more strictly.

But my husband uses a Luggie, it is a small folding scooter that fits easily through a standard cabin door and when folded up either slides under the bed or stands in the wardrobe. I shall measure it, but I think its dimensions when folded up are probably smaller than those of a folding wheelchair, it is certainly much smaller than most suitcases. We have never ever left it in the hallway and never would (both so as not to cause a nuisance and also so as not to lose it to a joyrider as it is keyless !). We have to book last minute due to his medical condition and there is almost never a disabled cabin available which is fine, we are happy to be cruising at all and can manage a standard cabin and would rather leave them for somebody whose need is greater than ours. But now Cunard will refuse us boarding with no refund if we arrive with the scooter ? I am going to write to Cunard and tell them how discriminatory this policy is but in practical terms it just means they (and P&O apparently) will be crossed off our list of lines when looking for a cruise.

On our last Cunard cruise the ship had norovirus and was moved to a different embarkation port so we were about 12 hours late boarding, hugely inconvenienced and we were not even given a glass of water, Cunard could not even be bothered to send an email to tell us so that we could at least adjust medication, but now they can write to tell us we are no longer welcome on their ships with his scooter, that I honestly don't think inconveniences anyone (except me). Sorry, there is smoke coming out of my ears !!

We also got the letter from Cunard and were rather upset. First of all let me say that I thoroughly agree that nothing should ever be left in the hallway - no problem with that rule and I wish it were enforced more strictly.

But my husband uses a Luggie, it is a small folding scooter that fits easily through a standard cabin door and when folded up either slides under the bed or stands in the wardrobe. I shall measure it, but I think its dimensions when folded up are probably smaller than those of a folding wheelchair, it is certainly much smaller than most suitcases. We have never ever left it in the hallway and never would (both so as not to cause a nuisance and also so as not to lose it to a joyrider as it is keyless !). We have to book last minute due to his medical condition and there is almost never a disabled cabin available which is fine, we are happy to be cruising at all and can manage a standard cabin and would rather leave them for somebody whose need is greater than ours. But now Cunard will refuse us boarding with no refund if we arrive with the scooter ? I am going to write to Cunard and tell them how discriminatory this policy is but in practical terms it just means they (and P&O apparently) will be crossed off our list of lines when looking for a cruise.

On our last Cunard cruise the ship had norovirus and was moved to a different embarkation port so we were about 12 hours late boarding, hugely inconvenienced and we were not even given a glass of water, Cunard could not even be bothered to send an email to tell us so that we could at least adjust medication, but now they can write to tell us we are no longer welcome on their ships with his scooter, that I honestly don't think inconveniences anyone (except me). Sorry, there is smoke coming out of my ears !!

Before you write them an angry letter (and I do understand why you're angry), write to them and why they have made this rule, and why it should apply to you, since your husband's scooter is so manageable and does not need a large parking space. And please report back on their answer. I'm sure there are plenty of other people reading this thread who are in a similar situation and are rethinking how they plan for a cruise.

If they're using this as a back-door way to limit the number of scooters on board, they won't admit it. But I hope they give you some sort of explanation.'

We are in exactly the same position. We specifically purchased a small scooter that strips down into its main component parts so that it can be easily stored in the cabin. It's actually small enough to be driven quite easily into a standard balcony cabin and I devised a way of parking it up that doesn't restrict our movement around the cabin but means that we don't have to spend too much time taking it to bits and reassembling it again. Like you, we do not leave it parked in the corridor.

I suspect that these draconian restrictions may well spell the end of our cuising "career".

Please let me know if you get any meaningful response from Cunard. I am considering writing to them myself.

J

.. First of all let me say that I thoroughly agree that nothing should ever be left in the hallway - no problem with that rule and I wish it were enforced more strictly...

That's propably what prompted the requirement to book ADA rooms. In the wake of the Concordia sinking the rule was being enforced more stringently but passengers complained, "There's no room in here for that!"

The cruise lines are in a loose-loose situation on this one. What do they do? A scooter-using passenger can book a "regular" stateroom only if the scooter is a Model X, Y, Z, etc.?

That's propably what prompted the requirement to book ADA rooms. In the wake of the Concordia sinking the rule was being enforced more stringently but passengers complained, "There's no room in here for that!"

The cruise lines are in a loose-loose situation on this one. What do they do? A scooter-using passenger can book a "regular" stateroom only if the scooter is a Model X, Y, Z, etc.?

No but they could mandate that the scooter must be easily dismantled and have dimensions less than x by x by x. This would be quite simple to enforce and would be a fair resolution for all concerned. Their requirement seems very unfair to me in its current form.

I don't think it needs to be that complicated. We already have to fill in quite an extensive form detailing mobility and other medical requirements. The form requires us to give the leading dimensions of any wheelchair/scooter or other mobility aid (including those collapsible, wheeled walkers that people take), as well as requirements for oxygen, medical sharps, powered monitoring equipment etc etc etc. I'm sure it would be a relatively simple thing to get passengers to certify that their particular scooter is capable of disassembly and storage in the cabin at all times when not in use. If they can't certify that, then they could be required to book a wheelchair accessible cabin. I think that the "one size fits all" policy is, as has been said, somewhat discriminatory and I believe that it unfairly punishes people who genuinely require these mobility aids and who have gone out of their way already to ensure that any safety hazards and/or inconvenience to others is minimised.

J

No but they could mandate that the scooter must be easily dismantled and have dimensions less than x by x by x. This would be quite simple to enforce and would be a fair resolution for all concerned. Their requirement seems very unfair to me in its current form.

ROFL!

Very concisely put Cap'n. You got that one in while Mr Prolixity here was composing the 300 word essay that came next and said exactly the same thing. :D:D

J

It also occurs to me that this new policy of insisting that everyone who intends to bring a mobility scooter must book a wheelchair accessible cabin will almost certainly result in the "law of unintended consequences" coming into play. People who, in the past, would happily have brought their scooters along and stored them in their cabin (or, of course, illegally left them in the corridors), will now have to "compete" for adapted cabins with wheelchair users for whom those cabins are absolutely essential. There can only be one group of losers in that particular game.

J

I can't find an email for Nick BUrrows at Cunard but have written a letter basically a shortened version of my post and asking the reasons for the new policy, will send it snail mail tomorrow and report if/when I get a reply. I would encourage anyone else affected to write too - the more letters the more chance they will realise their mistake.

I can't find an email for Nick BUrrows at Cunard but have written a letter basically a shortened version of my post and asking the reasons for the new policy, will send it snail mail tomorrow and report if/when I get a reply. I would encourage anyone else affected to write too - the more letters the more chance they will realise their mistake.

Nice idea, when you write I suggest that you remind them that they currently run three ships. I'm not convinced that they are aware of that fact.

• 3 weeks later...
OK here is my reply

Thanks for posting that. My mother needs a fully accessible cabin and there was very little availability as things stand at the moment (Only one cabin for all of BC on QE and none at all in BC on QM2). I suspect that now all the accessible cabins will be fully booked many months in advance :(

Probably just as well now that all the burglars have access to your home address :eek:

Actually, Annette, I would be even more worried that the cats now have access to it. The OP had better sit back and expect an avalanche of spam from Sir Martin's Entrepreneurial Enterprises plc.

:eek:

J

It's unfortunate that it will restrict stateroom availability to scooter users regardless of the portability of their vehicles. But not only does there need to be room to physically store the scooter that space has to be close enough to an electrical outlet for recharging the battery. The only logical explaination for the draconian restriction has to be the complaints received when passengers were told to get their scooters out of the halls. "There's no room in the cabin!", "Why now?", "This would never happen on QE2!", etc, etc.

"...it would not be feasible for us to ensure that each and every scooter would be suitable..."

And, clearly, they're not going to try to consider individual requests. They're using the hallway parking issue to limit the total number of scooters onboard.

"...it would not be feasible for us to ensure that each and every scooter would be suitable..."

And, clearly, they're not going to try to consider individual requests. They're using the hallway parking issue to limit the total number of scooters onboard...

That's what is probably bothering scooter users the most - the refusal to make a case by case consideration. Just to play Devil's Advocate, let's say Cunard and P&O allow scooters in regular cabins up to dimensions x, y, z. My unscientific online search showed that rental scooters came in three sizes based on the user's weight. It would take about five minutes for an American lawyer to file an ADA complaint that his plus-size client was subjected to added expense and inconvenience. (Yes, it's the scooter not the person that is targeted. But never let the facts get in the way of a nice monetary settlement.)

That's what is probably bothering scooter users the most - the refusal to make a case by case consideration. Just to play Devil's Advocate, let's say Cunard and P&O allow scooters in regular cabins up to dimensions x, y, z. My unscientific online search showed that rental scooters came in three sizes based on the user's weight. It would take about five minutes for an American lawyer to file an ADA complaint that his plus-size client was subjected to added expense and inconvenience. (Yes, it's the scooter not the person that is targeted. But never let the facts get in the way of a nice monetary settlement.)

I'm not sure a case like that would go anywhere, as it isn't an arbitrary decision, it's based on a standard--the width of the door. There are cabins that can accept the larger scooters, so someone with a larger scooter is not being kept off the ship. As it is, someone who needs an accessible cabin is probably facing greater expenses than other cruisers because it's important to book early and get the HA cabin. Forget waiting to see if discounted fares will show up.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, so I'm just guessing.

I still think this is a roundabout way of cutting down on the number of scooters on board. Since Concordia, cruise lines are giving more thought to "what-ifs," and they don't want the problems of scooter pax being unable to get to muster stations or scooters being in the way of other pax trying to get to muster stations, etc, etc.

I still think this is a roundabout way of cutting down on the number of scooters on board.

I don't think so - it is simply a matter of tackling a "problem" which should have never been allowed to develop in the first place.

Cabins for physically disabled passengers have been available on cruiseships for a long time - whether there are enough of them is another matter. I have been on ships where the larger cabins for disabled people have been unused , and have been finally allocated to other passengers with guarantee fares. Friends of ours were allocated a HUGE wheelchair friendly inside cabin on P&O Arcadia - for the 6 weeks duration of the first part of her 2011 WC. They loved it!!! :)

Barry

.....Since Concordia, cruise lines are giving more thought to "what-ifs," and they don't want the problems of scooter pax being unable to get to muster stations or scooters being in the way of other pax trying to get to muster stations, etc, etc.

I don't think that the ability of scooter passengers to get to muster stations is the issue at all. Rather, it's scooters in the hallways that would impeed everyone else in getting to those muster stations.

What brought this on was lax to non-existant enforcement for mobility aids to be kept in one's own stateroom. On a TA last September, on my way to breakfast each morning, there was a scooter parked along the railing of the QM2 B stairway. It was there every morning for the entire crossing so somebody in security had to see it but chose not to take any action. Now that it's not being tolerated staffers are getting protests from scooter users. Cunard along with P&O has essentially said that if your stateroom has no space for it you'll have to book one that does.

Archived