$444 for Adventure of the Seas Mediterranean Cruise?!

I know people complain about airfare to Europe....but really, $400 for your cabin + $1100 for airfare = less than some balconies on Allure, less than balconies out of Galveston, and about the same as some balconies out of San Juan.

And really, Europe vs. Caribbean? That's a no brainer!

If I wasn't committed to teaching a class in June I would be all over it (plus 3 conferences in May).

I paid in Europe for internal cabin for two adults and to children almost EUR 2000. Now - for much lower price (around 2000 USD) I could have TWO balcony cabins. Does RCCI wants to make people in Europe angry? Why this is promotion in one country only? I do not understand it.:confused:

I paid in Europe for internal cabin for two adults and to children almost EUR 2000. Now - for much lower price (around 2000 USD) I could have TWO balcony cabins. Does RCCI wants to make people in Europe angry? Why this is promotion in one country only? I do not understand it.:confused:

I noticed these prices too, they seem to put the lowest prices on where the airfare will cost most to get to, living in the UK its often cheaper to fly to the US and sail the caribbean or fly to europe (but not in this case), I had hoped that the announcement of another ship from the UK would lower prices but its still not competitive.

Well done on the deal because as you can see, on the RCI UK site, prices are nothing like that for a balcony on that saling, and remember these are in GBP£, convert these to USD$ and even the guarantee price of £902 is more than 3 times the price you mention of $444.

6979774517_afed46d5ac_z.jpg

Yes, I just checked before I saw your reply, it's shocking that prices for UK clients are so much more (in general, not just this cruise) :mad:

We took that same cruise last May and loved it! Prices were about $499 for an inside when we booked in Feb and they dropped more in the spring, I think. We are booked on a 12-night out of Rome on the Mariner for May 28th of this year. I think inside cabins start at $899pp for that cruise and might be lower tomorrow since final payment is due today.

Yes, I just checked before I saw your reply, it's shocking that prices for UK clients are so much more (in general, not just this cruise) :mad:

Not only are the prices much higher but when I looked at the website this cruise is clearly marked as "cruise only" and is excluded from the "free flights" promotion!!!

Yeah I didn't realize that prices were much higher when booking outside of the US. We realize that tickets are crazy expensive, but it's Europe! Definitely a no-brainer. We changed our June 2 booking to June 23. I'm a first-year teacher and didn't realize I have a TON of stuff to do when school gets out, so I need to stay another 2 weeks to get everything taken care of. This actually works out because my husband will incur more paid-time-off so we can stay longer. Since this cruise goes out of Spain, we're going to make a trip out of it and fly into Madrid a couple days before the cruise, and then fly out of Lisbon, Portugal like 4 days after the cruise. Makes the vacation longer and more worthwhile =) We don't have children, just our one Golden Retriever child, but she can easily stay with the grandparents. So this is the time to be spontaneous and go to Europe!

Keep watching the prices every day. I am heading out the week before. We booked whilst on the Freedom at new year and paid £499 each and £295 for my daughter, and also got some on board credit! The price has changed from £800 up to £1200 down to £600 and now near the £800 mark again. All within 3 weeks! So glad we book while we were onboard! I got flights from the UK (Manchester) for £210 for all three of us, and get there the day before the cruise, and fly back a few days after. Managed to get a great hotel very cheap.

Can't wait! :D:D

But your cruise sometimes (or usually?) includes insurance, prepaid tips, and price drops after final.

But your cruise sometimes (or usually?) includes insurance, prepaid tips, and price drops after final.

No UK prices do not include insurance or pre paid tips....yes to the price drops after final payment although more often than not the lower prices have the "* new bookings only" on them.

Nope. RCI will often automatically add the cost of prepaid tips to the price, unless you specifically uncheck the box, no insurance is included either. Totally confused about the process for price drops after final payment as it's never applied to me unfortunately.

I totally agree. Never mind the advantages of booking in the US (no loss of deposit, no fee for changing cabins, OBC that seems to be given out everywhere etc), this is a kick in the teeth to us over here.:mad:

I know I could book in the US, but I'm not comfortable with it.

I suppose I'm feeling sensitive at the moment having had to cancel Allure and lose deposit due to redundancy (some will be refunded from travel insurance, but not all as there is an excess per person).

I appreciate that prices fluctuate, and early booking can bring benefits as can booking on board with OBC, but my disappointment is when the prices are reduced in one trading area and not another, talk about rip off Britain.

The same happened last year when RCI in Spain drastically reduced prices for Liberty sailings out of Barcelona, despite us being in the same so called 'European Union' market, where people can live and work in one member country or another, did we get the benefit of reductions? No. Could we book easily via RCI Spain? Again, no.

Same happened in 2010 when Adventure sailed out of Barcelona, our sailing was being 'flogged' off to the Spanish but not other European member states.

And the prices for when both Independence and Adventure are sailing out of the UK are unattractive too JMHO. OK rant over, sorry.

My husband and I just booked back to back cruises-- May 26th and June 2nd on Adventure of the Seas. The prices were so low it made sense to turn it into a 14 day cruise! Since the airfare is high, it makes sense to stay long enough to get your money's worth! Can't wait!

I totally agree. Never mind the advantages of booking in the US (no loss of deposit, no fee for changing cabins, OBC that seems to be given out everywhere etc), this is a kick in the teeth to us over here.:mad:

I know I could book in the US, but I'm not comfortable with it.

So if I can find a US cruise agent can I book and pay for a cruise with them at the US price or is there a residency issue here?

Dont want to try it and find my country of residence prevents me from taking the cruise.

BB

So if I can find a US cruise agent can I book and pay for a cruise with them at the US price or is there a residency issue here?

Dont want to try it and find my country of residence prevents me from taking the cruise.

BB

If you live in the UK there is no residency issue if you want to book with a US TA. I have used a US TA for many years...as have other UK Cruisers.:D

BB

I was curious about this, so I called the main RCCL phone number just now. I asked this exact question you had. You CAN book through an American travel agent. BUT if you use a card with a home address outside of the United States, then you would be charged whatever the amount is for the country you live in. And also, if your main home address is not in the United States, they'll also charge you whatever the going rate is in your country and you wouldn't be able to take advantage of the American prices.

That all sounds so silly to me. I don't understand how someone who lives in the UK for instance, would have to pay double what I pay just because of where they live. But I found this article that kind of explains, or at least attempts to explain, why the cruise industry works this way. Basically it's all from a business stand-point.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1119

The link I posted is about Australians in particular and their issue with cruise prices in comparison to American prices, but it's all the same general idea.

I take back what I said about UK residents. I obviously have no experience with that, being that I'm from the US. But maybe it's a big issue for people in other countries besides the ones in the UK.

I was curious about this, so I called the main RCCL phone number just now. I asked this exact question you had. You CAN book through an American travel agent. BUT if you use a card with a home address outside of the United States, then you would be charged whatever the amount is for the country you live in. And also, if your main home address is not in the United States, they'll also charge you whatever the going rate is in your country and you wouldn't be able to take advantage of the American prices.

That all sounds so silly to me. I don't understand how someone who lives in the UK for instance, would have to pay double what I pay just because of where they live. But I found this article that kind of explains, or at least attempts to explain, why the cruise industry works this way. Basically it's all from a business stand-point.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1119

The link I posted is about Australians in particular and their issue with cruise prices in comparison to American prices, but it's all the same general idea.

I have booked using a US agent or a UK agent for many years (go with the best price) The cruise I booked for the 26th May Adventure OTS I used a USA agent. My C&A address is in Scotland.

RCI have got to get some uniformity on pricing.There seems to be huge differences in how price drops are handled. Stating price on web for new bookings only is so vague where does it state "new bookings"? We have had that several times. Now learning we are not getting the price breaks available in the US is another complaint We booked a fly package and they changed our return home because of airline changing flight time but refused to reroute us and to further add insult to injury introduced free flights and transfers from London. It would would have been much cheaper for us to cancel and rebook through London as even with cost of flight from Glasgow to London we would have saved a lot. We just got the line new bookings! However we have paid final balance and will grin and bear it making sure we enjoy the free wine in Concieirge lounge!!!!

Archived