Avalon - Laundry Package?

MayasWay

Another angle to all this is shipping suitcases. Not really a solution for a 2 week cruise, but in our case (2 nights pre-cruise + 7 nights onboard + 6 days on land) - Before we leave, I'm planning on shipping a suitcase to the post-cruise hotel in Paris and when we debark in Basel, sending one off with dirty clothes.

Yes, it's more expensive - but when you add in the extra bag charges on airlines and expensive onboard laundry, it can be more reasonable than you expect.

The onboard laundry service is on par with hotel prices and in some cases, less expensive. Avalon does a nice job with their laundry service and we find it practical to have a few key pieces laundered as needed and also hand wash personal items.

We prefer to travel light as we extend our trips independently and travel by train, so this is much more pleasant when we pack appropriately. We don't pack that much that we would ever need to ship it home.

We do go to Europe for 2 weeks at a time and find a 24 inch rollaboard to be more than adequate. This fall we are spending several days in Budapest pre cruise at a extended stay hotel that offers laundry service and will be utilizing that before boarding our boat.

Edited by caviargal

• 1 year later...

I realize this thread is nearly two years old but it is no less appropriate today. We are sailing on the Avalon Affinity April 13 out of AMS to Basel. I travel up to 180 days each year for business and have no problem doing so with a carry-on sized suitcase, especially in the cooler months when I can wear a shirt a couple of times. I never throw away old underwear, storing them away for long trips. So, that's what I'm planning on doing for our upcoming cruise and I may end up actually throwing away old underwear along the way.

My bride, on the other hand, doesn't think she can quite make it for a carry-on (20 inch) bag. BUT, I believe she can do it by using the on-board laundry service for a few items about halfway through the cruise.

I think the convenience of having a couple of shirts, a pair of slacks, etc outweighs the cost (which is NOT out of line with most hotels.) And with the added advantage of helping us make our two hour connection in Newark on the way home by not having to wait to claim, then recheck our luggage.

Anyone have a more current laundry price list for Avalon?

Cheers!

Ken and Karin

Affinity April 13 Rhine river out of Amsterdam

I realize this thread is nearly two years old but it is no less appropriate today. We are sailing on the Avalon Affinity April 13 out of AMS to Basel. I travel up to 180 days each year for business and have no problem doing so with a carry-on sized suitcase, especially in the cooler months when I can wear a shirt a couple of times. I never throw away old underwear, storing them away for long trips. So, that's what I'm planning on doing for our upcoming cruise and I may end up actually throwing away old underwear along the way.

My bride, on the other hand, doesn't think she can quite make it for a carry-on (20 inch) bag. BUT, I believe she can do it by using the on-board laundry service for a few items about halfway through the cruise.

I think the convenience of having a couple of shirts, a pair of slacks, etc outweighs the cost (which is NOT out of line with most hotels.) And with the added advantage of helping us make our two hour connection in Newark on the way home by not having to wait to claim, then recheck our luggage.

Anyone have a more current laundry price list for Avalon?

Cheers!

Ken and Karin

Affinity April 13 Rhine river out of Amsterdam

Hi Ken & Karen,

My hubby and I both travel with only one small carry. We rise out underwear in the sink each evening and it's no big thing. My wardrobe revolves around my black travelers pants from Chico's ( a must do for all traveling women) and mix and match tops, you will look like a fashion plate - you will be amazed how easy it is to coordinate. Karen you can travel with one carry on. You will be surprised how much you can fit into your carry on. I always bring too many clothes and don't wear everything I pack. We also bring two small backpacks to hold all our electronics and any other last minute unnecessary stuff we decide to throw into the backpacks. Our carry ons weigh under 25 pounds packed. Ken I agree that it's easy to travel light. Karen once you try it you will never travel with your larger luggage pieces again.

Happy packing!

Marion

Avalon Visionary - Amsterdam to Basel. 5-24-14

I am so jealous.. have been looking to see what, if any laundry services are available on Viking as we will be away 13 days cruising from Budapest to Amsterdam with extensions for 2-3 days on either end. I too plan to throw away some old underwear along the way. Not opposed to washing out a few things here and there but my husbands shoes alone would take up 1 carry-on!!! we do plan to bring 1 extra pair. We see laundry services for Ama , guess the other lines would follow the same line pricing.

Rivers cruises are different.. hope we come up smelling like tulips!!!!!

We have travelled for 3 to 4 weeks to Europe or US or both, 10 times in the last 18yrs, some times having to pack for winter and summer temperatures, we leave NZ with no more than 17Kgs, 37lb each, and occasionally use laundry service. Cruised 7 nights with Avalon last yr, booked for 10 nights this year. Always come home and find we have not even worn some of the clothes, must pack less next year. You just need to be very smart in the clothes and styles you pick. We often buy clothes to suit our next trip 6 months before when the correct season is on sale. And yes the DW always has to buy something while on holiday and off course shoes are a must buy. Yes we are often up to the weight limit on the way home. If we are spending $20 to $30K on a trip whats and extra 100 or two to have clean clothes