Avalon - Laundry Package?

MayasWay

Yes Avalon does laundry but as far as I know they do. It have a package. Two years ago we traveled for a week prior to the cruise and we found a self-service laundry so once we got on the ship all of our clothes were clean. We then had the laundry service do a few pieces during the cruise.

Yes Avalon does laundry but as far as I know they do. It have a package. Two years ago we traveled for a week prior to the cruise and we found a self-service laundry so once we got on the ship all of our clothes were clean. We then had the laundry service do a few pieces during the cruise.

Do you mean they do not have a package?

I sent an e-mail to Avalon asking about laundry. They sent me the price list if you are interested:

Shirt

Trousers / Jeans

Undershirt / T-Shirt

Underpants

Socks (pair)

Handkerchief

Pyjamas

Ladies

Blouse / T-Shirt

Skirt / Trousers

Knickers

Stockings / Tights

Bra

Nightdress

Pressing only

Men’s Suit

Lady’s Suit

Lady’s Dress

Jacket

Trousers

Skirt

Blouse / Shirt

Subtotal

A 50 % surcharge for express service within 10 hours 

Prices are in euros

Webfoot/others - Why do you suppose Avalon (and other river cruises) charge so much - unrealistically so, I think - to process/handle their customers' laundry? Particularly since we're all paying so much to begin with for the cruise itself. If a company doesn't want to do something, all they have to do is set their price high enough to discourage any use. Is that what is going on here? In our case, we will be on their boat and their cruise for nearly two weeks. I've already paid them thousands of dollars for the basic cruise, plus thousands extra for a deluxe suite. Is that not enough, already? I don't really wish to spend my vacation time doing laundry in a bathroom sink. I thought those days were over at Boy Scout camp 50 years ago! I believe it is unreasonable to have to pay them a pretty high "per piece" charge for each and every piece of clothing I might give them (particularly underwear) when all they have to do is throw it in one of their huge industrial-sized washing machines along with all the other tons of laundry they're undoubtedly already doing each day. I would glady pay them an additional flat fee for doing a reasonable load of laundry for me near the end of each week of the cruise. In fact, I'd glady have them do that laundry for me INSTEAD of them sending a maid in every day to make my bed! I could certainly make my own bed each day but it is far more difficult and time-consuming (not to mention a little "tacky" given the price of this cruise experience) for me to be drinking a nice "complimentary" bottle of wine at their dinner table and then having to go back to my suite and do my own laundry without a machine and having to hang it up all over the place in my room (and hope it dries in a couple of days). Avalon - please "weigh in" on this if you're reading this post. Is this not something that should be given some corporate attention? Why not just give each stateroom a medium sized laundry bag "to fill" and charge us $20 USD a bag to launder it - no matter how many pieces are in there? In the case of underwear, you don't even have to iron/fold it. Just throw it back in the bag after it's washed/dried. I'll take it from there! Regards.

At the end of each cruise there is a survey to fill out and on there you can add this suggestions, which is a really good one. On our last trip our laundry bill was less than 25Euros. I needed pants washed, my husband had his 'good' pants and 'good' shirt washed along with a few other things.

There are ways for Avalon to improve their offerings and this is one that they should take into consideration.

We will be gone for 3-1/2 weeks. I know that we will use the laundry facilities on the ship once or twice and once in Romania we may also try to find a laundromat. At the laundromat that we used in Paris, it was fun to sit and chat with others there.

On our last trip we had some folks string laundry throughout their room. It was funny to see their room. Each time I have taken a cruise I take along those laundry packets but will leave them home this time.

Webfoot/others - Why do you suppose Avalon (and other river cruises) charge so much - unrealistically so, I think - to process/handle their customers' laundry? Particularly since we're all paying so much to begin with for the cruise itself. If a company doesn't want to do something, all they have to do is set their price high enough to discourage any use. Is that what is going on here? In our case, we will be on their boat and their cruise for nearly two weeks. I've already paid them thousands of dollars for the basic cruise, plus thousands extra for a deluxe suite. Is that not enough, already? I don't really wish to spend my vacation time doing laundry in a bathroom sink. I thought those days were over at Boy Scout camp 50 years ago! I believe it is unreasonable to have to pay them a pretty high "per piece" charge for each and every piece of clothing I might give them (particularly underwear) when all they have to do is throw it in one of their huge industrial-sized washing machines along with all the other tons of laundry they're undoubtedly already doing each day. I would glady pay them an additional flat fee for doing a reasonable load of laundry for me near the end of each week of the cruise. In fact, I'd glady have them do that laundry for me INSTEAD of them sending a maid in every day to make my bed! I could certainly make my own bed each day but it is far more difficult and time-consuming (not to mention a little "tacky" given the price of this cruise experience) for me to be drinking a nice "complimentary" bottle of wine at their dinner table and then having to go back to my suite and do my own laundry without a machine and having to hang it up all over the place in my room (and hope it dries in a couple of days). Avalon - please "weigh in" on this if you're reading this post. Is this not something that should be given some corporate attention? Why not just give each stateroom a medium sized laundry bag "to fill" and charge us $20 USD a bag to launder it - no matter how many pieces are in there? In the case of underwear, you don't even have to iron/fold it. Just throw it back in the bag after it's washed/dried. I'll take it from there! Regards.

These boats (they are not ships) are quite small compared to ocean going cruise ships. There probably is not any room for the large industrial washers and if they do have them there are not very many. Offering "reasonably" priced laundry service would probably overwhelm the available resources (both equipment and crew). Then you get passengers in a tizzy because they did not get their laundry returned in a reasonable time.

We agree with Goose on this occasion the boats are only small and their laundry facility would be minuscule compared to a ocean going cruise ship .

With approx 160 passengers Onboard they would not be able to service everyone.

In regard to throwing your washing in the large industrial washer just imagine the chaos when all the underwear was mixed up and the though of having Ping Pongs underwear washed along with our sheets is something we would rather not contemplate 👍👍

Hey, Keenemolly! It should be considered a "privilege" to have one's bed linens washed with my underwear!! :o I guess that is what will happen anyway, even if I do have Avalon wash some of my laundy on a "per piece" basis (which I will, of course). Having been on Navy ships for 20 years, and having my underwear mixed with that of 1,500 other sailors', I have a lower threshold of concern on this point. There's a lot worse things that could happen. I relied upon the hot water and the detergent to "take care" of any potential "issues".

"Something" is definitely happening with the laundry of those 160 passengers during a 1-2 week cruise now. One of 4 scenerios - People are packing huge amounts of clothing (particularly underwear) with them and just washing it all when they get back home; people are re-wearing lots of previously-worn/unwashed underwear (not pleasant to think about!); people are paying Avalon (per piece) to wash their laundry - and Avalon is "dealing" with that somehow - just as is happening now; or in the evenings after a nice meal and a few cocktails - people are returning to their lovely staterooms and turning them into "late evening Chinese Laundry operations" with clothes hanging all over the place - Certainly "no offense" intended towards the Chinese :)

Now, there is a 5th option to consider, as well...during several years of being stationed ("posted") in southeast Asia, I did observe many locals living on "sandpans" just sitting cross-legged on deck and happily washing their clothing in the Mekong River. That might be a unique "marketing photo" for Avalon to show all the passengers sitting on deck together, as we cruise down the Rhine - being served "complimentary wine" while we all merrily wash our clothes during the "off hours"!

Since everything else in the world is being "included" in the Avalon package (wine/beer, daily excursions, sumptuous meals, evening turn-down service, chocolates on the pillow, gourmet coffees, opulent staterooms, robes/slippers/hair dryers, etc.), why is it "unreasonable" to suggest some level of "complimentary laundry" being offered to the passengers - who are paying "bucket-loads of money" for this crusing experience? If Avalon were to throw that into the "package", I have no doubt it would set them apart from the competition, greatly increase business for them, and translate into a huge increase in revenue. If we can send people to the moon, we can certainly figure out how to handle the laundry for passengers on a river cruise (they're already managing to do the personal laundry for the crew, afterall). Regards to all.

why is it "unreasonable" to suggest some level of "complimentary laundry" being offered to the passengers - who are paying "bucket-loads of money" for this crusing experience? If Avalon were to throw that into the "package", I have no doubt it would set them apart from the competition, greatly increase business for them, and translate into a huge increase in revenue.\

IMO, including laundry service would not translate into a "huge increase in revenue" nor "greatly increase" business for them. It might be a consideration for some but I doubt would impact much in the overall grand scheme of things.

The crew already does double or triple duty, wearing many hats. Including laundry service would dramatically impact the work load for the laundry folks, for it if it were free, it would be highly utilized by guests.

We always have a few items laundered on a river cruise, and launder small items ourselves. While not a bargain, it is worth it for us; we pack light as we travel by train before and after so like to keep things simple. Paying a few Euro for convenience is worth it to us.

JMO

Folks - Obviously, there's no "winning" this one. I'm not suggesting that anyone's laundry be done for "free". Nothing about the entire cruise is "free". Even the little chocolates on the pillow aren't "free". Nothing is being "given away for nothing". The "all-inclusive drink package" is not "free". It costs an additional $430 for a 13-day cruise and the drinks are not strictly "all-inclusive". It does NOT include the top-shelf liquors.

I was Just suggesting that they could offer an "all-inclusive laundry package" for.....you pick the price.....$200/week, (that's about in line with what everything else is costing)....and for that, you'd get unlimited laundry service without having to "count out" each and every sock, underpants, undershirt, slip, blouse, etc.

Really sorry I mentioned it, now. Obviously, there's no "demand" for it. Regards

Some lines have self-services laundry facilities. On a three week trip from the Black Sea-Amsterdam, we all likened ourselves to the women at the well in the Bible. There was a small area with patio type tables and chairs where the Washers would gather--all in good humor. Good luck fighting your way thru all those clothes lines. Pat;)

Now, there is a 5th option to consider, as well...during several years of being stationed ("posted") in southeast Asia, I did observe many locals living on "sandpans" just sitting cross-legged on deck and happily washing their clothing in the Mekong River. That might be a unique "marketing photo" for Avalon to show all the passengers sitting on deck together, as we cruise down the Rhine - being served "complimentary wine" while we all merrily wash our clothes during the "off hours"!

Hilarious!:)

I don't understand what the big deal is regarding laundry service. If you pack items that you can wear multiple days and are wrinkle free, you won't have that many items to launder. Perhaps socks and underwear you may want to have laundered and perhaps a shirt/blouse, slacks, dress now and then.

Geez, your spending close to $10,000 for your cruise and you are upset about spending $100 to have your laundry done?

Paulinda - Thank You! You've helped me (perhaps unintentionally) make my point. That was sort of what I was trying to say in the first place but I guess I didn't express it very well. The money is inconsequential. After already spending all this money for the whole cruise experience ($20K + and counting...with upgrades, hotels before and after, and airfare), why would you (I) want to waste one minute of my vacation time washing any clothes and having to hang them all over the stateroom to dry....just to save a few piddling "bucks"?!

Most of the posters have already said that they send "a few things" out to be washed during the cruise, anyway. So as long as you've already willingly crossed that "hurdle" and are willing to pay them to do any of it at all, why not just let the cruise boat do it all for you? As long as they're willing to do any of your laundry at all (with presumably no limit) - which we've already established that they will willingly do (on a per/piece basis) - then why can't they just come up with some (hopefully) reasonable "package price" - which they've already done in the case of tips and drinks - (which of course, no one would be forced to pay if they didn't want to) to charge to do all of your laundry without me or them having to itemize and count/charge for each and every individual piece?! Regards.

A friend who is traveling with us on our Avalon cruise has discovered disposable paper undies these come in several colors and sizes.

An added bonus that should you have any left over after your trip they are edible.

Myself I have been saving all my nearly worn out ones and will dispose of these as the trip progresses.

You may choose to believe me if you wish.!!!!:o

Well thanks all for your feedback. Looks like we'll have to pay by piece, though we're lucky to be staying in a place in Budapest with self serve laundry the day before embarking on our cruise.

If it's of interest, and what prompted me to ask the question, is that we were on a Windstar cruise where you can get a laundry package, unlimited, for the week for $99. Not cheap but nice not to have to think about how much each pair of undies cost to wash. And wonderful to come back to freshly pressed things each day (in by 9, back the same day). We travel for multiple weeks with just carry ons and almost always include a one week cruise with land travel, so it's a nice treat.

Edited by MayasWay

For $1.50 each for knickers, I just may buy Fruit of the Loom or Hanes in a value pack and throw them away as I go!! But, honestly, they don't take up much room. Don't even want to go to the disposable paper edible ones...hopefully you were kidding because I can't even imagine they would be cheaper than FOL!!

We appreciate your posts and understand the concern raised regarding onboard laundry. When compared to nice hotels or resorts, the prices for laundry service on Avalon Waterways ships are, in most cases, less expensive. Guests that use the service seem to appreciate it being available. And, while there are costs associated with providing laundry service, we are aware it is important ensure the prices remain reasonable for our guests. (For those who decide against use of our onboard laundry service, we offer more stateroom storage, to allow you to pack/store more clothing.)

Thanks again,

Patrick Clark, managing director of Avalon Waterways (US)