Yiks! A Butler

nana541

One of these days I will buy buy you a drink !!

Hope to meet you on a cruise some day. . . .we'd have a lot to talk about.

Interestingly, someone started a new thread about Regent Crew Fund because they were afraid of my "wrath" You seem to have survived quite well.:D Must admit that I went a bit overboard with my initial response (Oops!)

Anyway, I responded about the Crew Fund on the other thread but thought it should be posted here as well because Regent changed it's response on their website to the tipping question. It now reads:

Q: Should I tip onboard?

A: Gratuities are included in the cruise fare for all Regent employees. If guests feel strongly about expressing their gratitude to the crew, they should be encouraged to make a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund at the Purser Office. This money is utilized for crew parties and events

Oh I didn't take your opinion personally....I knew that many Regent cruisers had very strong opinions on the tipping subject. And those opinions are all over the board. I just did not want to "insult" a hard working Butler by not providing some unspoken gratuity. We do give to the "crew fund" and will continue to in the future.

Thanks for your well thought out (and opinioned) advice...I can take it! So cocktails at 5 in the Observation lounge, you can buy :)

Getting ready this morning to cruise on Crystal's first all-inclusive cruise! I'm not sure what to expect.

None of us know what to expect. . . . we're depending upon you to let us know how it is. I suspect it will be wonderful:)

Hi Judith;

Fair Winds and Following seas for your first all inclusive Crystal Crossing. Please pass our warm regards for a terrfic cross to Nancygp, Love@Cruise (Mike and Mary), Harbormaster (John and Kathy) and Ricki.

1)

... Raj was our Butler and was also proactive

Yes, Raj is absolutely *awesome*; no question whatsoever!!!!

2) Tipping: lots of people have opinons. I have been told by Mark Conroy at dinner on Mariner that *HE* tips *his* butlers. Tipping is "not required" and "not expected" but is *ABSOLUTELY* not forbidden in the case of extra personal service. Nor do I think it is out of place, as long as it's done discreetly so as to not offend others. I am *tired* of hearing about this; the *PRESIDENT OF THE CRUISE LINE* does it; it is not déclassé. End of statement.

Our most recent Butler was a fellow named Soumae...and he was the best we have ever had. Just great. We were on a golfing adventure in New Zealand (some of the best tracks in the world as you golfers out there know) and he was terrific in maintaining our clubs in storage and making sure they were at the gangway at the appointed time for us to pick up as we left the ship to catch a cab or be picked up for a round. Tremendous, fun service even if it was a bit of a change for him. In addition, his punctual delievery of wine and cheese in the late afternoon, help with reservations, etc., was much appreciated. He also knew not to bring anything unless requested, which is just as important to us. In other words, he was not under foot but always there when needed. Can't say enough nice things about him and I hope he is still on board the Voyager--he claims he will be--the time we board again next year. I'll make a point of asking for him as he was a great plus to our trip.

I hope he is still on board the Voyager--he claims he will be--the time we board again next year. I'll make a point of asking for him as he was a great plus to our trip.

A word of caution. Butlers do their job for a group of suites, about 10 I understand. If your suite is one of his 10 you should be OK, if not I doubt if you could get him allocated to you. No harm in trying though.

For the first (and possibly only) time (for budgetary reasons) we had a butler on our Mariner cruise last August. Brian was wonderful. We did request his help in unpacking for the three of us (wife, 11 year-old son, and me). Not creepy at all, LOL!

He helped us with various food and service requests and just generally looked after us. I've a hearing disability, which makes using many phones (unless Bluetooth is built-in) challenging, so whenever I called him, within a few moments, he would appear at our door. Standard procedure or not, this was impressive!

And, yes we tipped him at the end of the voyage (unless it would be insulting, I think whether or not to tip is a subjective decision) -- and we contributed to the ship's crew fund.

Archived