Clothing for a cruise to Alaska in July

VickieAnn

I know this is probably silly but I can't get my head around what to take for our cruise to Alaska. We live in Ohio and have cruised a number of times but always to warm weather areas. When we leave here on July 12th in will be in the 90's but I know when we get to Anchorage there will be a major drop in temp. And when we cruise and do our land stops, even though it will be mid 60's I understand it is pretty cool and damp.

What do ppl wear during the day on the ship? And what do they wear for dinner and formal night? Do you need a real coat or do jackets and sweatshirts work? We usually do not get into formal wear for those nights but take dressy capris and a nice top for me and my husband wears dress pants and a shirt, but like I said this is always to warmer climes. And what about shoes? I am use to running around all day in July in flip flops and sandals but don't think these are what I will need in Alaska.

Thank you so much for your input.:)

We spent 19 days in Alaska during July & August a few years ago. We wore everything from shorts, Ts, & sandals to jeans, long sleeve shirts, micro fleece, shoes & sox. I recommend thin gloves and an ear band for days when you're near/on a glacier, and a hooded rain jacket.

If you ramble over to the Cruise Fashion & Beauty board, you'll see this question asked & answered quite a bit.

The short answer is - bring layers:D

Here are a couple of the most recent (earlier this month) threads on the topic.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1580525

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1577886

We went in June, and needed all from t-shorts in some ports, to sweaters and windbreakers/umbrellas in others. Something really warm was needed for the few hours of the scenic cruising.

I think I only had closed-toe shoes, not sandals.

Thanks for such quick replies. I have never cruised on RCI before and I find there website not very user friendly. I wondered if this was because we booked with a TA this time and not online as we have done in the past. On Carnival I can find out anything I need on their website so that is why I came here to ask. Thank Hoyaheel for the websites I will check them out.:)

we went in July of 2010 and we took mostly jeans, rain jacket (instead of umbrella's), sweaters, t-shirts, long sleeved shirts, one pair of capris & tank top (never even put them on) and for shoes we took tennis shoes, uggs, hiking boots and pool shoes. I also took gloves, scarf, beanie and down jacket (compacts easy). When we cruised through the Tracy Arm Forjd I was up on the top deck with camera in hand at 6am it was 28 deg.... We did take other clothes for the ship but for walking around at the ports we mostly wore jeans, hiking boots, t-shirt, sweater and rain jacket. Hope this helps and have a great trip!!!

Having lived in southeast Alaska, I would recommend to be prepared for any kind of weather. The one thing I noticed was that most travellers needed rainwear that will not soak thru. Umbrellas are only good if there isn't wind. I lived in my gortex jacket(southeast Alaskan fur) and always had rainpants available for the really windy wet days. Where else would you see weather reports for sideways rain.

Formal wear: Khakis/dress shirt and shoes as a minimum, with most in coat/tie and some in tuxs, and ladies commesurate dressed

The ship is heated and AC so no need for winter overcoats while on the ship.

As to preperation for ports and up top. Alaska is a temperate rain forest so expect rain. Temperature could go from high 50's to shorts/t-shirt.

So as others said dress in layers with the last beeing waterproof jacket/hood. You can strip down depending on temperature and layer up of in the 60's and windy and rainy. Don't forget gloves, warm hat and of course sunglasses too

At that time of the year you could easily have weather ranging from the low 60's to mid 70's. Lots of sun and lots to rain. I would bring along waterproof nylon shell that breathes, a fleece or sweater to wear under it, a hat, perhaps a scarf and for sure some gloves. Footwear, a decent pair of sneakers or low cut hikers sprayed several times with waterproofing will be very adequate and some warm socks. Also throw in some shorts and t-shirts just in case.

All of your replies have been great. There is a group of 10 of us going and one couple has been before but they pack different then the rest of us. lol They can go on a 10 day cruise and each of them have a carry on. lol I am a heavy packer at the best of times and because I have always cruised the caribbean I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this Alaska cruise, but you all have been very helpful. Thank you.

Archived