Help me choose a cruise

Coralsugar

Hi

all experienced cruisers, please help me to make my cruising decision.

Im deciding between 3 cruises.

Carnival Victory, departing from PR, visiting St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts and St. Marteen.

pros: would love to visit St. Lucia and Barbados, would see Puerto Rico, 1 sea day, 5 ports

cons:most expensive, air fare to return home is expensive, would have to stay over one more day to get cheaper tickets and then after returning home go to work next day, it would be hard week when I work 12+ hrs per day.

Carnival Liberty rom Miami, visiting Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Gr. Cayman, 2 seas

pros: slightly less expensive than PR ship, Cayman is my #1 port of choice (stingrays), my mom would like to see Miami, returns one day earlier than other cruises, so more time to recover before work

cons: 2 sea days, not excited about Cozumel

Carnial Legend from Tampa itinerary same as Liberty.

pros:we could get obstructed balcony for price of inside on the other ships

cons: would not see Miami, would have to stay one more day after return of cruise

My top port I want to visit is Cayman, followed by St Lucia and Barbados. Not excited about Cozumel and so far haven't found anything special about Belize, St. Kitts and Martin.

I am 35 and going with my mom (56) who is flying rom Europe to join me. She does not speak English, nor will do any extremes like zipping or cave tubbing. I really want to do stingrays with her in Cayman but also whole day St. Lucia tour so I am deciding what is best. She also would like to see Miami for a bit.

We agreed to take inside cabin and put our money towards excursions but we can get obstructed balcony at Legend (Tampa) for a price of inside at the other ships.

This is our first cruise so I have no idea how it will be or how I will react. I tend to get slighty nausey sometimes in a car so I think obstructed balcony would be great just for getting air in a case but I will not break a bank to pay for balcony on other cruises.

Also I will probably have no more chances to visit Carribean in the future as I will be moving back to Europe soon. So it is a one time shot.

How often does your mother come over from Europe? If not often, I would pick Miami for her.

No matter what you pick, think some more about the tours with her. The tours will all be in English and fellow passengers will not be thrilled listening to you translate everything. A private tour or taxi would not have this problem.

since this would be your first cruise, you should know that sea days should not be a con! there is lots to do on cruises:) i was on the liberty in 2007, and since it has been completely re done over! i hear great things about the remodel!

Tampa is great, so you shouldnt be to worried about miami vs tampa!

i swam with the sting rays in the caymans it was amazing but personally, id go with the first cruise, as the ports of call are all very nice places but if grand cayman is your number one choice, then you should cruise on the liberty!

Last time she has been here was 5 years ago.

I am thinking about booking smaller private tour, not large Carnival tours.

I think she would do fine with snorkelling from the boat, stingrays, scenic views , beaches, etc. I definitelly will not se translating for her everything or a lot (I hate it, makes me exhausted and its annoying), maybe sometimes she would get one sentence summary.

We did the cave tubing on Carnival Legend and it is not extreme. It was by far one of the most relaxing things we have ever done.

I loved Tampa, and the Legend and will sail her again some day. However, I also want to go to PR and sail on the Victory.

It all comes down to what is most important: What do you want to get out of this cruise? Depart city, ports, excursions, cabin

What's the most important, what's the least?

Let us know what you decide.

If it helps at all with your decision, bear in mind that, in San Juan, on disembarkation day, there will be four (or more) ships all disembarking at around the same time.This makes the lines at the San Juan airport extremely long. Staying one more day would make getting through the airport less of a pain, but that doesn't sound like a good option for you. FWIW, my vote would be the Liberty out of Miami. Even though you say you're not excited about Cozumel, take time to explore the different options for excursions. Surely there will be something that catches your interest. And, the Liberty has the 2.0 upgrades (bonus!).:)

Thank you all so much.

I have another beginner question:

Does the ship always dock same way, meaning is the right side always towards the port and the left towards the water? From the pictures I saw it looks this way but I dont know if it is rule or just coincidence.

If i want to see ship approaching the island and then have a view on the island while docked do I book cabin in right side? (standing inside ship, looking towards front)

Thank you all so much.

Does the ship always dock same way, meaning is the right side always towards the port and the left towards the water? From the pictures I saw it looks this way but I dont know if it is rule or just coincidence.

If i want to see ship approaching the island and then have a view on the island while docked do I book cabin in right side? (standing inside ship, looking towards front)

Oasis class usually dock on starboard side (right).

All others, no set pattern, depends on port, pilot, what is available, etc.

Also, sometimes the island view can be poor, like in St. Martin, you pretty much have a view of a dump/fueling area, whereas the sea view you see the harbor, boats, etc.

Hi, it sounds like Liberty is the one for you. It has your #1 port, and Miami for your mom.

Belize does have some great options and variety: awesome snorkeling, jungle tours, mayan ruins, mangroves, manatees. You will surely find something wonderful to do there. The city itself is terrible, but the outlying areas are incredible! I would recommend you book privately and ahead of time.

Maybe Cozumel can be your beach day, and the other ports can be more active activities or tours.

If you pick the cruise that leaves out of Miami, you should also check air into Ft. Lauderdale (FLL). Miami is only a 45 min ride from that airport and you can catch a pretty cheap transfer for $15 a person from sas.

Hopefully your mom is coming in earlier than sailing day. You don't mention it, but would hope you are planning on coming down one day before your cruise leaves? Pretty risky to travel on the day of sailing - too many things can go wrong and you don't want the stress of missing the ship. Weather, mechanical, etc.

Speaking of weather, when were you planning on sailing? You said you really want to visit Cayman. Sometimes if the weather is too rough to tender, that port will be skipped. Just something to keep in mind.

I personally love Cozumel so I wouldn't be complaining. ;) Good luck - it can be mind boggling for a newbie. Feel free to ask as many questions as you want. :)

Last time she has been here was 5 years ago.

I am thinking about booking smaller private tour, not large Carnival tours.

I think she would do fine with snorkelling from the boat, stingrays, scenic views , beaches, etc. I definitelly will not se translating for her everything or a lot (I hate it, makes me exhausted and its annoying), maybe sometimes she would get one sentence summary.

I think the PR cruise would be awesome, but the airfaire is the factor for us. Personally, we did the Gr. Cayman, Belize, Cozumel cruise last year out of Miami with extended family, including my Mom (who is 71) and I am 53. She LOVED the stingrays - did not do the cave tubing with us, although I enjoyed it thoroughly. In Cozumel, the shopping area is extensive enough that we spent a couple of hours there before catching a taxi to a local beach and had a great time there. Not sure why you aren't excited about Cozumel..LOTS to do there. Good luck on whatever you choose - be sure to check out the ports of call site - LOTS of good info for private tours which will save you $$$ over cruise ship excursions.

NO cruise is a bad cruise in my opinion :D

Thank you all so much.

It will vary from week to week- dpending on the captain. How many ships are in port what time you leave etc.

On the legend- there are two ports that are tender ports-- there is not docking. the ship faces the island.

The Legend is out of tampa- only one ship was in port when we got off. made it very nice for embarkation and at the airport.

I sailed on the Liberty. Great ship, but I was very limited in what I could do at night as they seemed to allow smoking 'everywhere'. I think they've changed their smoking policy now. I might give Carnival another try.

We docked on both starboard and port sides on our port stops. No telling there.

I had an ocean view on Liberty. I was in my room so infrequently that I found that paying extra for it was simply not worth it. If you can get it for free, then I'd say go for that.

I cruise for the ship and not the destinations. Swimming with sting rays is special fun, did it once on a trip to Nassau. But I understand some people choosing a cruise for the ports regardless of the ship. Sea days are my favorites, and the reason my next cruise is a transatlantic crossing with 10 of them. I think you and your mom would find great enjoyment from them as well.

No matter what you chose, in the end, I'm sure you'll both have a great time.

Archived