Vicoria - Butchart Gardens question

DaveOKC

The day next week when we are in Victoria is predicted to be a high of 62 degrees and a 40% chance of rain.

Question - given the weather forecast is a trip to the Gardens still worth it? Or should we wait for another trip with better weather?

DaveOKC

Butchard Garden has umbrellas available for their guests if it starts raining. We had that experience a few years ago. It turned out to be in our best interest because everyone else left. We went in to eat, just like many people. After eating we decided to brave the gardens in the light rain. That was when we discovered the umbrella stands everywhere. We felt like we had the place to ourselves for the most part. :p

I never pay attention to the forecast that far ahead. As a previous poster said, the Gardens provides clear umbrellas for guests, there are barrels of them everywhere. They are free of charge but please remember to put them back when you are leaving.

For me everytime I go to Alaska/Canada I always pack an umbrella. My DH carries a backpack with him when we go on excursions so that umbrella is always in there. Really, all I can say is just go prepared.

marilyn

Hi - I live in Victoria. Trust me when I tell you the extended forcasts are usually 99.9% wrong! Yesterday the forcast was - "Expect clouds & rain for the next three days". Today, it's glorious outside, and the forcast says "Sunny for the next three days".

It's a cushy job to be a weatherperson on the coast!

We've had an unusually early spring, so everything is completely lush and in bloom. It's definitely worth the trip even if you get a little mist or rain.

Have fun!!

:cool: Starbuck

Starbuck1 - Does it make sense to use Greyline tours to get to the gardens from where the cruise ship docks. The public bus schedule seems complicated. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

The public bus is not that complicated just have a look at web site and you will see it is one bus from dowtown to gardens number 75 which runs along Douglas street. Any more questions ask and I will try and answer

gary

http://www.busonline.ca/regions/vic/schedules/map.cfm?region=20&

Hey DaveOKC - you're gonna love having a vehicle so you can really explore! If you have some free time, Sidney is close to Butcharts. It's a neat little town to check out - shops, galleries, pubs! Island View Beach is just off the Patricia Bay (Pat Bay) Highway if you want a stroll on the sand. It's never too crowded. How about a pub run tour? If you need any ideas, just ask!

IMHO - I'd take whichever bus is less stressful! Some people love the thrill of getting the best deal, doing as the locals do by public transit... others will say they want the most simple and least stressful tour possible in a city they aren't familiar with!

Obviously, the single most important factor is getting back to the ship on time! Who hasn't had that nightmare at least once?!

I honestly haven't taken a city bus since I was 16, so cannot confirm with Gary about them being easy to use. Tetley's idea re: a double decker bus? It looks really fun - especially the topless ones. No, the bus, not the driver... :rolleyes: I'm not sure that GrayLine uses the doubledeckers on the highway to Butcharts.

Grayline site: http://www.etix.com/travel/servlet/onlineSale?action=viewTours&franchise_id=66

I recall that Grayline has a tour kiosk set up in front of the entrance. It's manned with friendly guides that will help you book.

:cool: Starbuck

I don't think the tour buses stop by the Butterfly Gardens on the way to Butchart. That's another reason to possibly drive. The best Butterly sanctuary I've seen is at Callaway Gardens in Georgia, but this one is good, too.

Starbuck - thanks for the ideas. We will see how the day goes as the other couple with us needs to be back at the Empress Hotel by 3:30 PM for the high tea. I will keep Sidney in mind, as well as the butterfly garden.

Any other good ideas in Victoria itself to see with a car? We might have an hour or two to kill.

DaveOKC

Tell your friends that the "must do tea at the Empress" is based on outdated information. They moved tea from a charming room to what used to be the lobby. Cavernous and noisy, it's lost it's intimate appeal. Additionally, the price (over $55 per person is simply outrageous for a few finger sancwiches and tiny tarts). The tea at Buchardt is much better. Ask them to reconsider so you can travel together.

Archived