Did I just make an error?

skiorcruise

I heard from my Roll Call board about a $40 price drop for my April 15 Legend cruise. I e-mailed my TA to ask if Carnival would consider a refund or OBC as a result. She called this evening and said no refund or OBC, but they would upgrade us. Up one deck, extended balcony cabins and more midship than the cabin we had. I jumped on it, and said go ahead.

Then I got to looking at the deck plans. We were in 7321 and 7325, cat 8d, Verandah deck aft. Reasonably close to elevators & stairs, and the elevators are the best ones to get to the dining room. Cabins both above and below us, on the part of the ship that is further abeam, that is further out from center. These balconies look directly down to the sea.

Now we are in 8156 & 8158, cat 8k, over cabins but under the Lido Deck pool area. The balconies look down over the lifeboats. Further from elevators, especially the aft elevator to the dining room, possible noise from above in the night, can't see straight down.

I've never had an extended balcony, and my Father (83 years young) wanted to be more midship than aft. I'm not terribly concerned about noise (I sleep like a rock), but DW is easily awakened.

What do you think? Should I have stayed with the first cabins?

I wouldn't have done it but hey,,,, too late now.

Last time I was in a cabin under the Lido deck, I was awakened every morning around 5:30AM when the crew starts putting out the lounge chairs and dragging them across the deck.

I can't comment on noise levels but we've opted for extended balconies several times. You will like them.

We routinely use ear plugs on Pacific and Atlantic flights to reduce in-flight noises on overnight flights. I would think bringing a couple of pairs of ear plugs would go a long way towards taking care of any outside noises.

We had the extended balcony under Lido last year on Legend. I loved the balcony...It was my favorite so far. But unfortunately there was quite a bit on noise from Lido. Made me wonder what they were doin up there sometimes.:)

Was a bit frustrating the first nights...But after the first couple nights I picked up some ear plugs and that made all the difference. This cabin would not be my first choice if I went back to the Legend...but we still had a great cruise and if it came down to that cabin or an oceanview...I would take the cabin again.

Have a great cruise...You will Love the Legend!!

Thanks. You have convinced me. Called the TA this morning and changed back to the first cabins.

I'm glad you were able to change back. I had the same experience others spoke of with the chair dragging noises when we sailed on the Miracle. I've become cautious about free upgrades.

Looking down on on the extended balcony you do see the edge of the life boat but it doesn't block much. You don't see the water touching the ship but it's not that intrusive. The extension doesn't do much except help you see past the life boats. You have another foot or so from the wall to the rail so it is a bit easer to walk around someone already sitting on the balcony but otherwise doesn't have any major advantages.

glad it worked out for you too....but we'vee never had noise from Lido on our Legend & Miracle cruises....had aft-wrap suites twice and nothing from up above......but I do wonder now that aft lido deck is serenity, does that furniture move? do they stack it up each night like they used to with the older furniture?

Archived