Upgrade Mistake?

Robpuffdaddy

I would like all the advice possible. I called yesterday to see if there were any ES rate reductions available for me. I am on the 6/16 8-day sailing on the Freedom. I have an aft-wrap on the Empress deck. I was really looking foward to the wrap and the big balcony. I heard so many good things about it. Because there are only a few of these on the ship there was no rate reductions. OH well...Well here it comes, I was told that I was able to get an upgrade to a suite on the same deck for only $10.00 more. So I took the upgrade and now have the larger cabin and VIP status. I know long winded to get to the question, did I make the right decision on the upgrade?

Think it would be a personal decision.....but I personally would have done that, for the VIP Embarkation lounge alone......The AFT Wrap is a very nice feature, but I have found that I don't spend more than about a couple of hours total during the cruise on the balcony.....

I would've upgraded to the suite as well.

You're going on an 8 night cruise. You'll appreciate having the extra cabin space, larger bathroom with double sinks, bathtub and more closet space.

As someone mentioned, a wraparound balcony is a nice feature, but from a practical point of view, the suite is a much better choice....

And when you're whisked to the front of the line at VIP check in while the rest of the "regulars" are standing in a mile long line just to go through the security checkpoint, you'll be VERY glad you upgraded! :)

I did the same thing...had an aft (although not a wrap cuz there are 3 of us) on deck 8 (Valor 8 night) and with all the price drops I got an OS on Empress mid-ship for almost nothing. Bigger cabin was too enticing with 3 on board. Hope you enjoy it.....pretty sure we will :)

I would have upgraded to the suite in a heartbeat! I'm Plat. with CCL and already have the VIP embarkation and still would have taken the upgrade. Suites Rock - your balcony will be approximately the same size (much bigger than standard) it just won't wrap around back.

Suites have a lot of extra room, separate vanity area from main bath, jacuzzi tub, etc. I think you'll be pleased.

On a personal note, I so wanted to book your sailing. DH informed me that he got tix for Van Halen on the 20th, so had to pass on that sailing and its the only one available for quite a few months! :(

Have fun without me and have a cool libation on board for us as well :D

I would like all the advice possible. I called yesterday to see if there were any ES rate reductions available for me. I am on the 6/16 8-day sailing on the Freedom. I have an aft-wrap on the Empress deck. I was really looking foward to the wrap and the big balcony. I heard so many good things about it. Because there are only a few of these on the ship there was no rate reductions. OH well...Well here it comes, I was told that I was able to get an upgrade to a suite on the same deck for only $10.00 more. So I took the upgrade and now have the larger cabin and VIP status. I know long winded to get to the question, did I make the right decision on the upgrade?

It's a personal preference. The only way to find out is to take a cruise with each & decide for yourselves! Personally, the suite was not that sweet for us, a little bigger, a few amenities, but not much. We are about to find out if we like the aft-wrap balcony next cruise. LOL.. I know we will LOVE it. To me, a balcony is the only necessity, after that, it's all gravy.:)

VIP service is pretty great.... especially when getting on and off the ship... I have looked at both cabins long and hard and its a tough choice. Probably would go for it...

A suite includes VIP check-in during embarkation only.

;) Personally, I would have kept the aft wrap (we have our first aft wrap this June on the Valor) but, don't get me wrong I have given thought about upgrading to a suite but I am looking forward more to the balcony than the room itself....personal preference :D

What's done is done and sound's like you got a great deal...enjoy your cruise!

I've had both so I must say it's a hard choice. We didn't take advantage of the jacuzzi tub in the suite but really enjoyed the aft wrap balcony and sat out there every afternoon. As for VIP embarkation, last year they were running late getting people off the ship so they closed the VIP line so we ended up near the end of the normal line! Once inside the building, we did go to another very fast VIP line and were quickly wisked onto the ship. Enjoy your cruise!

Isn’t an aft wrap called a vista suite? They are on the Miracle. I was under the impression that your received VIP boarding with an aft wrap.

There will be much more room in the suite. However the balcony on a wrap is much larger than a suite.

Have a fun cruise.

Isn’t an aft wrap called a vista suite? They are on the Miracle. I was under the impression that your received VIP boarding with an aft wrap.

There will be much more room in the suite. However the balcony on a wrap is much larger than a suite.

Have a fun cruise.

Maybe on the Miracle it's different but on the ones I've sailed on (Triumph, Victory, Glory, Valor, Splendor, Liberty and Freedom), they haven't been considered as a vista suite so there wasn't any VIP boarding.

We have an aft wrap (first time) on our upcoming cruise and for another $100 total I could upgrade to a junior suite but, personally, I'd prefer the solitude around me and loungers on my own balcony to stretch out, rather than deal with fighting for a chair on the Lido or Serenity deck. To me, that's worth more than VIP check-in, double sinks, and a bathtub.

Also, the junior suites are very far forward and the decks are the same size as a regular balcony. The location is not ideal for us, at least in the aft the aft elevators are close by, as well as the buffet.

Maybe on the Miracle it's different but on the ones I've sailed on (Triumph, Victory, Glory, Valor, Splendor, Liberty and Freedom), they haven't been considered as a vista suite so there wasn't any VIP boarding.

On the Victory, the aft wraps are called Premium Vista Balcony, no suite status.

OP - This is a very personal decision. I would have never booked an aft cabin to begin with so for me it would have been a " no brainer", but many people love the aft cabins. Only you can decide if it is a good deal for you.

Archived