Which would you pick, and why?

renech

I'm totally on the fence over which cruise to pick for this December (rough job, I know), so I thought I'd field the forum for some more input to help sway me.

First of all, I know we'll enjoy ANY cruise we are lucky enough to be able to take. :)

Cruisers will be: Myself and DH (50's), DS and probably a friend, DD and boyfriend (all 20's).

I have a reservation already on the Adventure, southern Caribbean itinerary - which we've never done. We are trying to do this on the cheap as much as possible, utilizing our ff miles for airfares - this isn't feasible for SanJuan in December, unfortunately. Was hoping to try some new ports, but oh well... So. Caribbean will have to wait.

Choices are:

Freedom - Coco Cay; St. Thomas; St. Maarten.

Love the ship. Love St. T and St. M, but we we've been to both several times. Haven't been to Coco Cay in a long time. I read that December weather sometimes makes Coco Cay a missed stop. (?).

Can use ff miles and probably go in a day early for Universal Studios, etc.

Mariner - Roatan; Belize; Cozumel.

Never sailed the Mariner, but have done other Voyager class ships. Never been to Roatan. Did cave-tubing in Belize once, which was lovely. Have been to Cozumel many times - enjoyed Paradise Beach (since it's been redone) quite a bit on last cruise.

Never sailed out of Galveston before, but can use ff miles. Is it worth going in a day early there?

Both ships have been (or will be) upgraded by the time we go.

Opinions welcome. :D

Well, Adventure would be my first choice, but if the airfare makes it cost-prohibitive, then I would pick Mariner because it has new-to-me ports on its itinerary (including the embarkation port). Freedom has been-there-done-that-too-many-times ports on that itinerary. As well, we missed CocoCay in January this year, and it was the one port on the itinerary we were looking forward to, so we were a bit disappointed.

Well, Adventure would be my first choice, but if the airfare makes it cost-prohibitive, then I would pick Mariner because it has new-to-me ports on its itinerary (including the embarkation port). Freedom has been-there-done-that-too-many-times ports on that itinerary. As well, we missed CocoCay in January this year, and it was the one port on the itinerary we were looking forward to, so we were a bit disappointed.

The Adventure was our first choice as well since we've never done that itinerary. I booked it before considering how much more expensive it is to fly anywhere in December, and the general lack of availability for mileage seats.

If it were just 2 of us, we'd probably still do that route, but for 6 it's out of range. I agree with you, the new port (Roatan) is the primary appeal of the Mariner over the Freedom.

make sure you investigate your ground transport options for Houston/Galveston. I have not yet sailed from Galveston, so hopefully a local expert will jump in to correct me if I am wrong. The Houston airports are a significant distance from the cruise port. The ground transpiration options seemed, on my limited research, to more limited there compared to other ports. With luggage, your party may be too large for many rental vehicles. Cruise line transfers and car services may be options, but be sure you have a plan before you commit your ff miles. I would definitely fly a day ahead...to risky not to, especially from the Midwest in the winter.

I would select FOS. You seem to like the idea of universal studios. Most young adults seem to love flow rider and the bigger ships. I was recently in Coz, Belize and Roatan...just not my favorites compared to St Martin and St Thomas. Opinions vary.

I would do Mariner too, cause I love voyager class, ( havent sailed freedom, prob would love it too;))and have not been to Roatan or Belize, and I never fail to have a great time in Cozumel no matter how many times I've been!

Ordinarily, I'd be sailing with you, as early December is " our week" but not this year...not complaining, as we are headed to Tahiti in Oct instead, but I know when Dec rolls around, I will miss not being on a Royal ship;)

Question for you Renech- is Freedom the only ship sailing 7 nights from Fl in Dec other than OA and AOS in FLL? We didn't look into it for this Dec, but where is Navigator and Independence?

Vision Of The Seas

11 Night Southern Caribbean Cruise

Sailing Itinerary

Day Port *** Arrive Depart Activity

03-Dec Fort Lauderdale, Florida 4:30 PM

04-Dec Cruising

05-Dec Cruising

06-Dec St. John's, Antigua 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

07-Dec Castries, St. Lucia 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

08-Dec Bridgetown, Barbados 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

09-Dec Kingstown, St. Vincent 7:00 AM 2:00 PM Docked

10-Dec Kralendijk, Bonaire 1:00 PM 8:00 PM Docked

11-Dec Oranjestad, Aruba 7:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

12-Dec Cruising

13-Dec Cruising

14-Dec Fort Lauderdale, Florida 7:00 AM

*** All itineraries are subject to change without notice. Please confirm your itinerary on the Review page before purchasing your cruise.

Vision Of The Seas

Sailing Itinerary

04-Dec Cruising

05-Dec Cruising

12-Dec Cruising

13-Dec Cruising

*** All itineraries are subject to change without notice. Please confirm your itinerary on the Review page before purchasing your cruise.

jackretired,

We selected the Vision for 1/25 as a 10 nighter to see the southern ports. Looking forward to it.

Vision Of The Seas

Sailing Itinerary

04-Dec Cruising

05-Dec Cruising

12-Dec Cruising

13-Dec Cruising

I think that itinerary sounds amazing! Is December the only time she does it?

make sure you investigate your ground transport options for Houston/Galveston. I have not yet sailed from Galveston, so hopefully a local expert will jump in to correct me if I am wrong. The Houston airports are a significant distance from the cruise port. The ground transpiration options seemed, on my limited research, to more limited there compared to other ports. With luggage, your party may be too large for many rental vehicles. Cruise line transfers and car services may be options, but be sure you have a plan before you commit your ff miles. I would definitely fly a day ahead...to risky not to, especially from the Midwest in the winter.

I would select FOS. You seem to like the idea of universal studios. Most young adults seem to love flow rider and the bigger ships. I was recently in Coz, Belize and Roatan...just not my favorites compared to St Martin and St Thomas. Opinions vary.

I did look a little bit into options for Houston to Galveston. It does seem more... problematic. :) You are right about Universal. I'm tempted only because I really want to see Harry Potter-land. LOL. The one day passes for Universal are pretty high, but I am tempted!

I would go for the Mariner. The itinerary is better in my opinion, and sailing out of Galveston would be neat!

I guess I need to read up on Galveston some more. I have no idea what it's like there.

Mariner is always a good choice. Close by so makes it an easy drive for us. We enjoyed Nachi Cocum in Cozumel too. Did a Spa in Roatan (Spa BahnCard Suerte). we would recommend that for a couple.

Love Nachi Cocum, but after trying Paradise Beach on my last cruise, I think that works out better for us. I really don't need the all-inclusive since one drink is about all I can handle. I'll have to look into that Spa in Roatan. Thanks!

Vision Of The Seas

Sailing Itinerary

04-Dec Cruising

05-Dec Cruising

12-Dec Cruising

13-Dec Cruising

Wow. That sounds amazing. It wouldn't work for us this year (we're timing this around DD's college break), but I can see the DH and myself doing that itinerary in the future. Thank you!

I did look a little bit into options for Houston to Galveston. It does seem more... problematic. :) You are right about Universal. I'm tempted only because I really want to see Harry Potter-land. LOL. The one day passes for Universal are pretty high, but I am tempted!

So worth it if you are a pottterphile! Stay on site, get there an hour before everyone, do the Olivanders wand thing first, then the big ride in the castle. By the time everyone else gets there they are 2 steps behind you, no lines! You will love it! Try the butter beer frozen, yum. Ok changed my mind, sail Freedom;)

Love Nachi Cocum, but after trying Paradise Beach on my last cruise, I think that works out better for us. I really don't need the all-inclusive since one drink is about all I can handle. I'll have to look into that Spa in Roatan. Thanks!

We've done both and I agree, we didn't eat or drink enough to justify NC, as lovely as it was. Paradise was a better price but def more crowded and noisy with the kids, but it was also lovely, the pool is nicer and bigger, and $49 vs 2 bucks pp is a no brainer! (12 if you want to play with the toys)

Vision Of The Seas

Sailing Itinerary

04-Dec Cruising

05-Dec Cruising

12-Dec Cruising

13-Dec Cruising

I love this itinerary, they would all be new ports for me. The price is kinda high but I will keep and eye on it for a sale, thanks for posting it. I will have to look up more info on the Visions OS, the pictures of it look great and fantastic for a ship built in 1998.

I'm totally on the fence over which cruise to pick for this December (rough job, I know), so I thought I'd field the forum for some more input to help sway me.

First of all, I know we'll enjoy ANY cruise we are lucky enough to be able to take. :)

Cruisers will be: Myself and DH (50's), DS and probably a friend, DD and boyfriend (all 20's).

I have a reservation already on the Adventure, southern Caribbean itinerary - which we've never done. We are trying to do this on the cheap as much as possible, utilizing our ff miles for airfares - this isn't feasible for SanJuan in December, unfortunately. Was hoping to try some new ports, but oh well... So. Caribbean will have to wait.

Choices are:

Freedom - Coco Cay; St. Thomas; St. Maarten.

Love the ship. Love St. T and St. M, but we we've been to both several times. Haven't been to Coco Cay in a long time. I read that December weather sometimes makes Coco Cay a missed stop. (?).

Can use ff miles and probably go in a day early for Universal Studios, etc.

Mariner - Roatan; Belize; Cozumel.

Never sailed the Mariner, but have done other Voyager class ships. Never been to Roatan. Did cave-tubing in Belize once, which was lovely. Have been to Cozumel many times - enjoyed Paradise Beach (since it's been redone) quite a bit on last cruise.

Never sailed out of Galveston before, but can use ff miles. Is it worth going in a day early there?

Both ships have been (or will be) upgraded by the time we go.

Opinions welcome. :D

SJ is a pricey fly in and the itinerary is too port intensive for me. I like more sea days. I read another thread on here where a poster said that Mariner is a smokier ship than another ships in its class. Maybe those who have sailed it can talk to that issue, I would love to hear other's opinion.

I think that I would choose the eastern route. I too have been to St. Thomas and Maartens a couple times but love them both and still have much to explore in each place. The western route , I've been to Coz(3) and Belize(2). It does not seem to be much to do in Belize, I did the barrier reef, both trips. I vote east. worst senario, you miss Coco and get a sea day. Have a great cruise either way. :D

My vote is Freedom!

1. Yes, Florida can be nippy in December, but I'll bet Galveston is colder. when does Galveston most likely have fog? I think spring, but not sure, but look at that possibility. Don't flame me Galveston lovers, just a consideration for the poster.

2. Harry Potter World

3. Flowrider for the kids

4. Bigger ship

5. Kids would have a great time in STM at Maho beach and so would you adults.

6. Coco Cay is always a toss up due to tenders, but I say roll the dice and go Freedom.

Question for you Renech- is Freedom the only ship sailing 7 nights from Fl in Dec other than OA and AOS in FLL? We didn't look into it for this Dec, but where is Navigator and Independence?

Just saw this other part of your post. Btw, my initial reasoning for doing a December cruise is to take advantage of the Diamonds in December promo (that I hope they are actually going to do.. if not, oh well. :p).

Navigator is an option I also looked at, and it's out of New Orleans. I've been on Navigator more than any other ship, and I think it's getting its "facelift" right after December. So, I eliminated it, even though I do love New Orleans.

Independence offers a 6-day only on the days that we'd need to sail based on my DD's college break. If I'm cruising in December, I want that extra day!

I think Harry Potter might be tipping the scale here. I know my kids, even though they are older, would also love it.

Thank you SO much to everyone for all the input. It helps just to get this out there and talk to other cruisers about it as opposed to sitting here and staring at my computer by myself! :D

Just saw this other part of your post. Btw, my initial reasoning for doing a December cruise is to take advantage of the Diamonds in December promo (that I hope they are actually going to do.. if not, oh well. :p).

Navigator is an option I also looked at, and it's out of New Orleans. I've been on Navigator more than any other ship, and I think it's getting its "facelift" right after December. So, I eliminated it, even though I do love New Orleans.

Independence offers a 6-day only on the days that we'd need to sail based on my DD's college break. If I'm cruising in December, I want that extra day!

I think Harry Potter might be tipping the scale here. I know my kids, even though they are older, would also love it.

Thank you SO much to everyone for all the input. It helps just to get this out there and talk to other cruisers about it as opposed to sitting here and staring at my computer by myself! :D

Mine are older teens, I think they appreciate it even more than the little guys! They grew up waiting on each of those books to come out!:D

Not enough options out of FL for me:( I get why, airfares are nuts, and they are trying to homeport as many vessels as possible to make it more affordable.

Enjoy whichever cruise you decide to do!

Wow. That sounds amazing. It wouldn't work for us this year (we're timing this around DD's college break), but I can see the DH and myself doing that itinerary in the future. Thank you!

We are booked on Vision in 2013 for Feb 25. Check it out.

Drop in on our roll call for a peak.

Here are some notes on the cruise.

Archived