Luggage Express - Does it exist?

tizbo1423

So I heard that Carnival had a "Luggage Express" and found my way to this link explaining it. Fabulous. I emailed Carnival through their Contact Us form on their site asking if they would have this service on the cruise I plan on booking (4-night West Caribb out of Miami in August on the Destiny) and got 3 emails and a phone call about hurrying up to book my cruise - no mention of the program. I emailed my "personal vacation planner" asking specifically for information on the service and got this response.

"Christine,

Good day and thanks for responding. I spoke to my manager about this “Luggage express program” and we have not heard of this program. What we can do when you would have booked your stateroom is to see if there are flights available for that time.

I am also recommending that you hold your cabin now because we have this great promotion our “Spring into Summer Sale” giving you up to $200.00 per stateroom and the availability of free upgrades. In addition, the further out that you hold the cabin, with just a deposit of $150.00 per guest, you will be able to make the final payment at a later date.

Let me know what you would like to do and I will be more than happy to assist you being your Personal Vacation Planner."

Umm... really?

Go to Carnival's FAQ page and type in Luggage Express. You'll see it explained in detail......

Ultimately, this is taken care of while you're on the ship, hence the potential reason the Carnival reps were a little clueless.

Edited by BeccaBecca1713

Wow. As Carnival's TRAVEL AGENTS, they most certainly should know about the Luggage Express program & be able to explain it to their customers.

As much as I love Carnival... I have occasionally found myself to know more, and have educated, both Carnival PVP's & CVS's (the ones who answer the Canival toll-free number) about cruise/ship info for the very company they work for. As is said many times here on CC, if you call three different times with the same question, you will often get 3 different answers. Kinda pathetic...

I sent the PVP a link to the Luggage Service page and got this response:

"Yes, we do provide this service. However, you will have to book and then you will be notified which airlines are available."

So.. for anyone who has used Luggage Express and won't pressure me to book my cruise, do I have to book my flights through Carnival to be eligible? Will I really be notified about what airlines are available when I book?

We used Luggage Express a couple of years ago on the Freedom. It was super easy and super convenient. But I know at that time not all ships were participating in the program. There used to be a list of ships that participated on the Carnival website, but I can't seem to find it now. That would lead me to believe that they are all up and running now.

One word of advice, figure out all the costs ahead of time. My boyfriend and I each had a bag. We did it and it cost us $20 each. But we flew Delta and were charged $25 each for our bags. That's a total of $90. If we would have just sent both bags under one person it would have only been $80 ($20 LE charge, $25 for first checked bag and $35 for second checked bag). I know it's only $10, but that's one drink on the ship! LOL

You DO NOT have to book your flights through Carnival to participate in the program.

Edited by Brendarudd28

"Yes, we do provide this service. However, you will have to book and then you will be notified which airlines are available."

So.. for anyone who has used Luggage Express and won't pressure me to book my cruise, do I have to book my flights through Carnival to be eligible? Will I really be notified about what airlines are available when I book?

No, you don't have to book your flight thru them to use Luggage Express. As their very own FAQs say, most major airlines participate, but not all. This PVP just wants you to book before he will help you, sounds like...:rolleyes:

First, I hope you do realize this is just for when you are leaving the ship and going to the airport. Doesn't include your luggage getting to the ship at the start of your cruise. You do not have to book air through Carnival. Once onboard you can check with guest services if your airline will be participating.

I agree that it is odd they don't have a standard list of airlines who participate based on which airport, ship, etc.... so you can plan ahead accordingly.

Call Carnival back and speak to someone else. Surely someone will know the info.

Edited by BeccaBecca1713

So how and when do you know if your airline or departure city does this? Does the airline transport the luggage or carnival? We have family there so our transportation back to the airport is easy but sure would be nice not to have to carry our luggage around.

They will put a piece of paper in with your Fun Times giving you all kinds of information about the program. But I do think that 90% of the airlines do now. I know we've taken both Southwest and Delta and both participate. They will give you a deadline as to when you have to sign up for Luggage Express. Be sure to do it before then. We were travelling with friends and they weren't able to do it because they missed the deadline.

The cruiseline transports your luggage to the airport. They also check you in and print your boarding pass for you. The boarding pass along with your luggage tags will be in your cabin on the last night of your cruise.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know if Luggage Express service is available from Port Canaveral to Tampa? We have a 4:00 flight out of Tampa and although it's a couple hurs away, I was just wondering.

Ohiovacationer - how'd it work for your flight out of Melbourne?

Thanks,

Just off the Dream. Yes it does exist. You receive the information on about day 3. It is $20.00 per person.

We fly Southwest, and they are a participating airline. We got our boarding passes and luggage tags the last sea day. Set the luggage out the night before arriving back in port, and the next morning waltzed off the ship at our leisure.

Voila-all 4 bags appeared on the luggage carousel in our home airport.

Couldn't have been easier, and did not have to worry about checking in with Southwest to get our boarding passes as we are "unplugged" from any Internet on our cruises.

Not to mention, we did not have to schlepp any heavy luggage to the shuttle to the airport.

To answer the Port Canaveral to Tampa question, I am not sure because we flew home from Orlando, but there was a restriction of the flight had to be after Noon, or they would not let you participate. Since Tampa is a good 2 to 2 1/2 hrs from Port Canaveral, I would be reluctant to say that you could participate.

Edited by sabhoy

It was offered on the Spirit out of seattle on our May Alaska cruise and It was great, just make sure you sign up in time. $20.00 per person was charged to sail and sign acct. Tags were delivered to cabin and off they went!! Hope they offer it for our Victory 2013 October B2B cruise.

Luggage Express

Airline and Luggage Check-In Service

Carnival offers a convenient airline and luggage check-in service to our guests at select ports and/or ships. Currently, this service is offered at the following:

Debarkation Port

Ships

Port Canaveral

Carnival Dream

Port Everglades (for FLL/MIA)

Carnival Freedom

Miami (for MIA/FLL)

Carnival Liberty / Carnival Valor / Carnival Glory

Carnival Destiny / Carnival Breeze

Tampa

Carnival Legend

Seattle

Carnival Spirit / Carnival Miracle

Rather than check in at the airport for the return flight, eligible guests may choose to participate for just a nominal fee of $20 per person in addition to baggage fees that may be required by the specific airline for checked luggage. Guests will receive both their airline boarding passes and their luggage tags while they are enjoying their vacation at sea. Better yet, they will only need to place their checked luggage outside of their stateroom and will not touch it again until they claim it at their final destination.

Applicable to all guests with proper travel documentation

Only a maximum of two bags per guest can be checked-in

Applicable on most major domestic airlines – guests will need to check on board for participating airlines as they are subject to change.

Flights must be on a participating airline, departing from the airport on the same day of debarkation

All flight destinations may be available including Canadian and International airports. Note: For ships from the homeport of Seattle, flight destinations are to the U.S. only

The Luggage Express Program cannot be used for those guests purchasing a post-cruise shore excursion.

Early in the cruise, eligible guests will receive an invitation to participate in this program. The guest must complete the registration form and sign it to authorize the fees to be charged to their Sail & Sign account and then drop it off at the Guest Services Desk. The day prior to debarkation, airline boarding passes, luggage tags along with a letter are delivered to the stateroom. Guests place the tags on the luggage that will be checked in and then place it outside their stateroom for collection. On debarkation day, participants may debark at their convenience.

The luggage will be transferred from the ship to the corresponding airline and flight. Guests must claim their bags upon flight arrival at their final destination. If there are any delays or problems with their luggage, guests need to contact the airline to report any problems.

Hands down, the best $20 we spent on the whole cruise!

Packed up the super duper suitcase with everything we could get into it and put it out in the hall by midnight the last night. 12 hours and two airports later it shows up right when we do at the airport.

Bonus was there was no additional extra check baggage fee from our airline!