Earliest flight out of Gaveston, TX? Hotel recommendations?

Never done this port before, I read it's a good 40 miles to airport (or is it 40 minutes?). You think a 10:40 flight is too early? Got to get my kids back to College, need the earliest flight. ALSO, what is a NICE hotel there on the beach in Galveston close to the port for the night before?

THANKS!!!

A 10:40 flight would be cutting it to close for me. The last time we cruised out of Galveston it was almost an hour trip from the pier to the airport. Also Galveston is known for having problems with early morning fog which delays the arrival of cruise ships.

Never done this port before, I read it's a good 40 miles to airport (or is it 40 minutes?). You think a 10:40 flight is too early? Got to get my kids back to College, need the earliest flight. ALSO, what is a NICE hotel there on the beach in Galveston close to the port for the night before?

THANKS!!!

This link might help What is the latest arrival time to reserve a flight before the cruise, or the earliest departure time to reserve a flight after the cruise in order to make port/airport connections on time?

many offer pier transfers at no charge. So what level of quality are you seeking?

Holiday Inn is decent, clean and has small restaurant for Breakfast. Or one like the Galvez, or San Luis..far more upscale. Tons of places..but give us more info!

Disembarkation: Suddenly the whole world wants to play porter and carry off their own luggage it seems..This has jammed up the process. Hallways jammed, elevators stuffed....very long lines to get through customs..this backs up every other departure.

Bottom line: if you try for a 10:40 flight..You need to be at airport one hour before, you are facing a 45 minute ride, depending on your mode of transportation, you might sit on a bus or van waiting for others for maybe 30 minutes..which means that if you are not cleared by customs by around 7:45 am, the odds are very good you will miss your 10:40a flight.

I booked my flight at 5:30 pm, and barely making it on our last cruise. We were stucked ourside the harbor for 6 hours, and disembarking with a lot of nervous ppl causing it to take even longer. The closest airport is hobby which is 45 mins away. And if you are planning on taking a bus back, they are waiting for the bus to be fillled before leaving.

I agree....too early. It definitely depends on when you are sailing, but that fog in the winter months can really mess up a lot of plans! I would only book early afternoon or later.

We stayed at the Four Points on the seawall-nice hotel, very accomodating considering we were delayed boarding for several hours due to the fog. They had no problem storing our luggage for us while we ventured out. If we didn't have the fog, it would be a very nice view of the gulf :)

Thanks everyone. I will book a later flight, never thought of FOG, that's why I love this site! We are not going until Feb 2013. (Just got back from Allure and had a BLAST, needed to book another)

I like to use my UAL miles and need to book when the flights are released our your &*% outta luck.

Is it foggy in Feb too?

I heard about the San Louis, anyone get a good deal on that hotel? Too early to book that, but you know how it is when you book a cruise, you start to get all excited and start to look into everything. Hotel looks so nice. But in the 3-4's.

The Holiday Inn Sunspree Hotel looked cute w/that cute bar, that screams 'lets get the parta` started.'

Anyone get lucky w/priceline booking a 'resort' and getting San Louis?

thx~~

Keep in mind that February is typically Mardi Gras in Galveston so you'll want to book your hotel as early as possible. Keep in mind that it may also mean a two-night minimum stay for Galveston. Mardi Gras iin Galveston for 2013 is February 1 thru Fat Tuesday, February 12.

Thanks everyone. I will book a later flight, never thought of FOG, that's why I love this site! We are not going until Feb 2013. (Just got back from Allure and had a BLAST, needed to book another)

I like to use my UAL miles and need to book when the flights are released our your &*% outta luck.

Is it foggy in Feb too?

I heard about the San Louis, anyone get a good deal on that hotel? Too early to book that, but you know how it is when you book a cruise, you start to get all excited and start to look into everything. Hotel looks so nice. But in the 3-4's.

The Holiday Inn Sunspree Hotel looked cute w/that cute bar, that screams 'lets get the parta` started.'

thx~~

We went the last week of January this year and the fog was an issue then....not sure about February but not worth the risk!!

MellowMel beat me to the punch-they were setting up for Mardi Gras when we were there, so things will book up quick or at least require a couple nights stay. If you don't happen to book a hotel that is a party atmosphere, there are plenty of great places to go to up and down the strand (main street-like a mini Bourbon Street) When we were there, they had a chili contest going on and a bunch of bars had live music going. You can also walk with a drink in hand if you stay on that main street. It was a ton of fun, even in the fog :p

You definitely need to know which part of the island you want to stay on. The San LUIS is on the seawall and no where near (at least, not within walking distance of) the harbor. There are some boutique-type hotels down by the cruise terminal (Harbor House, Treemont Street). In fact, Harbor House is ON THE PIER next to the cruise terminal. Just know that Galveston, just like any town, has it's...eh hem...'shady' areas. You might wanna steer clear of those. Do your research and good luck!

Oh, and unless you like to spend your last day of vacation COMPLETELY STRESSED, I would suggest an afternoon flight. Just my two cents.

San Luis is high rent district. Gosh! I forgot the name, by right by the port is a hotel that is really convenient for cruise passengers.

There are plenty of the traditional chain hotels in Galveston. Not all are close to port but Galveston Island is not huge.

I stayed a Guidos. It is fine for a night.

We usually head across the ferry to Crystal Beach and stay in a beachhouse for a week.

I looked it up. It is the Harbor House

http://www.harborhousepier21.com/

One of my favorite things to do in Galveston is go by and see the old historic mansions. They fasinate me! You might need a car to do that or there might be a tour for it. I love going antique shopping too.

also, eat on the seawall over the water

Is it foggy in Feb too?

thx~~

Keep in mind - the hotels that have been recommended, including the San Luis, are not ON the beach. There s very little on the beach unless you are at the east end of the island in a condo. There is a very old motel on the beach - can't remember the name of it, but I wouldn't stay there from the looks of it. The hotels that have been recommended are all on Seawall Blvd (5 lanes) before the parking and walkway for the beach. They have rooms that have ocean views - but across 5 lanes of traffic. I just wanted to make sure you understood that. They are about the closest to the beach you can stay for a hotel, but not on the beach.

Here's a site for everything about Galveston:

http://www.galveston.com/default.asp

Here's a map, but it's not really marked:

http://www.galveston.com/maps/map.pdf

the dark grey wide street at the bottom (toward the gulf) is Seawall Blvd, and it basically drops off from the blvd (stairs down to the beach). The hotels that have been recommended are good ones and on Seawall Blvd. The area down by the port is called The Strand. There's an old hotel down there along with the Harbor House right at the pier. If you won't have a car, it would be okay, but you are not close to a beach at all. The east end of the island is on the right of the map. There are condos down there, some for rent but most have minimum number of nights. They have direct beach access and if you're in a higher up ocean view condo, you have a great view of the shipping channel. If you get up early, you will see a long long line of ships (cruise ships usually dock around 6am if not held up by fog) waiting their turn to get into the port. At the very east end of the island is Stewart Beach. I'm sure it's absolutely crazy there in the summer, but should be pretty much deserted in February.

I hope this helps.

We spent two days pre-cruise in Galveston during Mardi Gras. Had fun and enjoyed the two days. Galveston is a really nice town. We stayed at the Best Western. Reasonable rates, very good free breakfast, restaurants near by. Recommend it.

Carefully consider your transport to/from, with United, Bush International. Local services, which we used, stop at Hobby on the way to/from Bush. Sea if RCCL (or anyone else) has a direct shuttle to Bush. Stopping at Hobby costs you a 1/2 hour each way. We barely made our flight home.

Enjoy Galveston and enjoy your cruise!!!

Rick and Deirdra

Archived