Port of Miami Logistical & Parking Questions

CarolinaMamma

We are sailing on Millennium Monday and are planning on driving to Port of Miami and parking there. I have a few questions. Apologies in advance if these sound totally OCD. I just want the process to go as smoothly as possible. We are surprising the kids, pretending we are just going to look at the ships, so deciding at what point to spring it on them for maximum effect.

The Celebrity rep said Millennium would be first ship on the left. Does this mean we check in at Terminal G? Is Millennium always in that location?

Is the street in front of the terminal one-way, like at most airports? Can we take the first left after crossing the bridge to get to the terminal, or do we need to go in a big circle so that the terminal will be on our right?

Can we pull up in front of the terminal and hand our luggage off to a porter, then go park? Or do we need to park and walk over with our luggage? if we can give luggage to a porter, this might be a good time to tell the kids.

Will we be able to see the ship at all when standing in front of the terminal? It looks like probably not, but it's hard to tell from the map how tall the terminal is.

Has there ever been a shortage of parking spaces in the garage, or is it safe to assume we will be able to Find parking in garage G?

Is therre any sort of gate to go through before getting to the terminal? Do we need to show any travel documents to get into the port itself, or can anyone drive onto it? (Having to show docs on the way in could ruin the surprise.)

Will we have a good view of the ship when coming over the bridge?

We are sailing on Millennium Monday and are planning on driving to Port of Miami and parking there. I have a few questions. Apologies in advance if these sound totally OCD. I just want the process to go as smoothly as possible. We are surprising the kids, pretending we are just going to look at the ships, so deciding at what point to spring it on them for maximum effect.

The Celebrity rep said Millennium would be first ship on the left. Does this mean we check in at Terminal G? Is Millennium always in that location?

The Millenium is USUALLY the first ship on the left...but you will see it...these ships are not exactly small and the lettering on the side is huge

Is the street in front of the terminal one-way, like at most airports? Can we take the first left after crossing the bridge to get to the terminal, or do we need to go in a big circle so that the terminal will be on our right?

I would follow the signs....you do have to go beyond the ship and come back on a one way past the terminal. It will be very clearly marked.

Can we pull up in front of the terminal and hand our luggage off to a porter, then go park? Or do we need to park and walk over with our luggage? if we can give luggage to a porter, this might be a good time to tell the kids.

Yes, you can drop the luggage off at the terminal and give it to a porter (suggest with a tip so your bags get there :) ). You might want to drop your wife and kids off there as well and then go to park...

Will we be able to see the ship at all when standing in front of the terminal? It looks like probably not, but it's hard to tell from the map how tall the terminal is.

You will not miss the ship....the terminal is two or three stories high...the ship is gigantic :)

Has there ever been a shortage of parking spaces in the garage, or is it safe to assume we will be able to Find parking in garage G?

The Miami port is very well marked and you will have a choice of parking outside or using a parking garage, both an easy walk to the terminal. One can never say never, but the people getting off the ship are vacating spots and you are looking for a spot....I've never had any problem at all

Is therre any sort of gate to go through before getting to the terminal? Do we need to show any travel documents to get into the port itself, or can anyone drive onto it? (Having to show docs on the way in could ruin the surprise.)

I believe there is a guard house but it's to stop trucks, not cars. I think you can just drive in......even if they stop you, you can tell them that you are just looking at the ships. It is not a passenger only area.

Will we have a good view of the ship when coming over the bridge?

See my previous comments on the size of the ships....they are 150' high and 1000' long. It is impossible to miss them

Your doing a great thing....it should be a great surprise and a fun trip. Enjoy

I can help with some of the answers:

For Monday April 2nd Celebrity Millennium is scheduled to dock at Berth F, not G. It will berthed in the same position (second ship to the left) as seen here in this photo (in front of the Celebrity Eclipse):

6496264909_ec85ea9d79_z.jpg

6496266913_c09965fee1_z.jpg

6880765220_d681fcf7c7_z.jpg

6496272891_fc815fab6d_z.jpg

Other ships present will be the Majesty of the Seas (Berth G), Carnival Destiny (Berth E), Carnival Imagination (Berth C), and Norwegian Sky (Berth B). It will look exactly like this as seen from the Turning Basin area:

6484978015_8d6793e7f1_z.jpg

6488351053_a19e41e078_z.jpg

See map of berths here:

http://www.miamidade.gov/portofmiami/library/port_map.pdf

Parking information:

http://www.miamidade.gov/portofmiami/directions_parking.asp

Looking from the Celebrity Millennium across the cruise terminal, parking garages, and towards downtown Miami. In this picture you can see Parking Garage G which is most likely where you will be parking.

6514671359_1a6c8f6589_z.jpg

Parking garages at far right of image, just a short walk to/from the ship:

6880732874_a98aee81eb_c.jpg

All of these pictures were taken when I cruised her back in Nov/Dec of last year.

Those photos are great and should provide a great perspective for the OP. POM is so easy to get in and around. There are no gates to go through so you do not need to show paperwork to get in. On our Nov cruise we went a little too early and it was pretty busy with people disembarking so we circled around and went for a little drive then came back after about a 1/2 an hour. There were no issues coming and going.

Have a wonderful trip, I hope the kids are very surprised. Let us know how it went!

Here's a little suggestion: We were embarking on the Millenium and traveling across the covered bridge(forgot what they are called) when a boy about 10 turned to his family and said, "I thought we were going on a ship-where's the ship?" From his point of view, he had not seen the ship probably as after you arrive at the terminal and hand over your luggage, you really don't get a good look at the ship itself. Curbside, it just looks like you could be at any airport terminal. So, if you want to impress the kids with the enormity of it all, try to find a vantage point away from the ship where you can actually see it before you stop in front of the terminal and drop the luggage.

Since you haven't told the kids, does this mean you are going to pack for them?

Wow! I haven't packed for my kids since they were 8 (the oldest is 18, youngest is 12). I have a hard enough time just packing for myself!

My kids had a blast on our Solstice cruise a couple of weeks ago. Have fun!

Here's a little suggestion: We were embarking on the Millenium and traveling across the covered bridge(forgot what they are called) when a boy about 10 turned to his family and said, "I thought we were going on a ship-where's the ship?" From his point of view, he had not seen the ship probably as after you arrive at the terminal and hand over your luggage, you really don't get a good look at the ship itself. Curbside, it just looks like you could be at any airport terminal. So, if you want to impress the kids with the enormity of it all, try to find a vantage point away from the ship where you can actually see it before you stop in front of the terminal and drop the luggage.

You would be hard pressed not to see the entire ship as you drive on to the Miami Pier area and drive past the ship as you pull up to the terminal. Look at the pictures. I don't think they will have an issue with the kids not seeing the ship unless the kids are asleep :)

Since you haven't told the kids, does this mean you are going to pack for them?

Wow! I haven't packed for my kids since they were 8 (the oldest is 18, youngest is 12). I have a hard enough time just packing for myself!

My kids had a blast on our Solstice cruise a couple of weeks ago. Have fun!

Yes, I have been sneaking into their closets stealing clothes while they are at school all week. I am packing for my husband, too. Not surprising him, he is just workingnhis tail off this week and I have more time..lThe kids are 12,8 and 5 so the younger two definitely need me to pack for them. We are going to tell them tomorrow that we are driving to Florida to go to the beach the next day and I will let them pack a few personal things, books, etc. in their school backpacks.

Your incredible live review is the main reason that I am doing this B2B on the Millie next week. You have sold a lot of cruises with that review and I hope you get some kind of recognition from Celebrity.

What is your next cruise?

For Monday April 2nd Celebrity Millennium is scheduled to dock at Berth F, not G. It will berthed in the same position (second ship to the left) as seen here in this photo (in front of the Celebrity Eclipse):

6496264909_ec85ea9d79_z.jpg

6496266913_c09965fee1_z.jpg

6880765220_d681fcf7c7_z.jpg

6496272891_fc815fab6d_z.jpg

Other ships present will be the Majesty of the Seas (Berth G), Carnival Destiny (Berth E), Carnival Imagination (Berth C), and Norwegian Sky (Berth B). It will look exactly like this as seen from the Turning Basin area:

6484978015_8d6793e7f1_z.jpg

6488351053_a19e41e078_z.jpg

See map of berths here:

http://www.miamidade.gov/portofmiami/library/port_map.pdf

Parking information:

http://www.miamidade.gov/portofmiami/directions_parking.asp

GREAT pictures! Thank you so much for taking the time to post them. It really helps to have a some visuals!

Those photos are great and should provide a great perspective for the OP. POM is so easy to get in and around. There are no gates to go through so you do not need to show paperwork to get in. On our Nov cruise we went a little too early and it was pretty busy with people disembarking so we circled around and went for a little drive then came back after about a 1/2 an hour. There were no issues coming and going.

Have a wonderful trip, I hope the kids are very surprised. Let us know how it went!

How earldies too early? We were going to aim for 11 a.m. Give or take a few minutes, but we are flexible. Driving down from hotel in Deerfield Beach.

I would plan to arrive at 11:30 at the earliest...it won't be crowded and you should get quick checkin...then board the boat and hit the buffet by 12:15 before the mobs. You will most likely not be able to leave your carry on luggage anywhere so plan on keeping it with you until the announce that cabins are ready.

Your incredible live review is the main reason that I am doing this B2B on the Millie next week. You have sold a lot of cruises with that review and I hope you get some kind of recognition from Celebrity.

What is your next cruise?

THANK YOU for the kind words! My next cruise that I have booked is just a quick 4-nighter in October on the Caribbean Princess (yes I know, I'm a traitor ;)) out of NYC with a one day stop in Bermuda. Really looking forward to it! After that is another 10-nt B2B on Celebrity Constellation in January similar to what I did last year.

I do hope you have a GREAT time on Celebrity Millennium! :D :D:D

We were there about 10:00, had my in-laws with us so our timing was a little off with 2 other people wanting to get headed out. We had stayed over in Miami pre-cruise. My DH was getting a little stressed so I suggested we head over to the port to see what it was like. As I said it was busy so we drove over the bridge to look at the ships and along the coastal route a bit before heading back. When we got back to the pier we had to wait until 11:00 before they started checking people in, we were on the ship with drink in hand by 11:20.

You would be hard pressed not to see the entire ship as you drive on to the Miami Pier area and drive past the ship as you pull up to the terminal. Look at the pictures. I don't think they will have an issue with the kids not seeing the ship unless the kids are asleep :)

YES, for us adults, we take in the gestalt when looking, but children do not see everything as we do. I think arriving at the terminal and then telling the kids - they will miss the enormity of where they are going.

THANK YOU for the kind words! My next cruise that I have booked is just a quick 4-nighter in October on the Caribbean Princess (yes I know, I'm a traitor ;)) out of NYC with a one day stop in Bermuda. Really looking forward to it! After that is another 10-nt B2B on Celebrity Constellation in January similar to what I did last year.

I do hope you have a GREAT time on Celebrity Millennium! :D :D:D

I have to wait until December til my next cruise after the B2B on Millie. Let us know how it goes on Princess, please. With pictures of course.

GREAT pictures! Thank you so much for taking the time to post them. It really helps to have a some visuals!

Glad to help! I do hope your family have an absolutely wonderful cruise, and that the 'big surprise' is the memory of a lifetime. :D

Yes, I have been sneaking into their closets stealing clothes while they are at school all week. I am packing for my husband, too. Not surprising him, he is just workingnhis tail off this week and I have more time..lThe kids are 12,8 and 5 so the younger two definitely need me to pack for them. We are going to tell them tomorrow that we are driving to Florida to go to the beach the next day and I will let them pack a few personal things, books, etc. in their school backpacks.

"Sneaking in." I like it!

YES, for us adults, we take in the gestalt when looking, but children do not see everything as we do. I think arriving at the terminal and then telling the kids - they will miss the enormity of where they are going.

It has been a long time since I was a kid....but I think that even today's kids will not miss the huge ships that they will see.....especially if mom and dad are saying "wow...look how big those ships are.....it's like riding on a floating hotel...and so on."

Alternatively, I guess today's modern parent could send each of their kids, sitting in the back seat, a text message on their cell phones or ipads to look up long enough to see the ships :)

We drove in from FLL the morning of our cruise and arrived about 11 am , just followed the signs, drove right up to the pier and gave baggage to porter, let out passengers and then I drove car into garage, took ticket , which I left on the dash, and walked across street to meet my party and into terminal. Very smooth! It was still busy with departures so we had to wait just a minute for someone to find us a porter with an empty cart for arriving guests. Try to remember what level you parked on! On disembarking a porter helped us and he took all of our luggage and walked us to our car and put the luggage in the trunk for us. He said it was much faster than getting the car and driving back around and then waiting in line to load up .. as long as you remember where you parked! We then drove out of the deck, had cash ready to pay , as the credit card line takes longer, followed the signs and were back on our way over the bridge within minutes.

DSC01060.jpg

It has been a long time since I was a kid....but I think that even today's kids will not miss the huge ships that they will see.....especially if mom and dad are saying "wow...look how big those ships are.....it's like riding on a floating hotel...and so on."

Alternatively, I guess today's modern parent could send each of their kids, sitting in the back seat, a text message on their cell phones or ipads to look up long enough to see the ships :)

Now THAT'S funny! :D

Archived