Help decide-Golden vs. HAL's Westerdam to Alaska

cruisinmom1

I've been loyal to Royal all these years, but need to venture out a little to Alaska- Can't decide on Golden Princess vs. Holland's Westerdam. I've been on the reviews and the pros and cons are confusing. Any suggestions would help!

Thanks in advance!

Both would be fantastic, but HAL is geared to an older crowd. Also, HAL goes to Sitka instead of Skagway. Skagway was one the the best stops on our Alaska cruise. That's where you take the White Pass train into the Yukon for spectacular views.

I would personally, not want to swap out Skagway for Sitka, but that's a personal choice.

You can't go wrong with either. Both Princess and HAL do an excellent job in Alaska and IMHO, are equally good.

HAL does some things that Princess doesn't and vice versa. For instance, HAL offers full room service menus and you can even ask to have the evening's dining room menu delivered to your cabin and you can order off it at no charge; Princess room service is very limited. Most items in the HAL buffet are made to order; on Princess, sandwiches are pre-made and most things are self-serve. On the other hand, Princess has more and better entertainment at night and more activities during the day.

You'll have a great cruise no matter which ship you choose.

I agree with Pam - either one will be a great trip. When I have to choose between HAL and Princess I go more with the itinerary. We chose Princess for next year because we get 2 days in Denali on the land portion, and the Sapphire goes to Hubbard Glacier AND Glacier Bay on the cruise portion. Have Fun!

I agree with Pam - either one will be a great trip. When I have to choose between HAL and Princess I go more with the itinerary. We chose Princess for next year because we get 2 days in Denali on the land portion, and the Sapphire goes to Hubbard Glacier AND Glacier Bay on the cruise portion. Have Fun!

We did a similar cruisetour on the Diamond (sister ship to Sapphire) and it was fantastic. We went early September and the fall colors in Denali were unbelievable. Have a great time!

I've been loyal to Royal all these years, but need to venture out a little to Alaska- Can't decide on Golden Princess vs. Holland's Westerdam. I've been on the reviews and the pros and cons are confusing. Any suggestions would help!

Thanks in advance!

If you are looknig at either the Golden or the Westerdam then you are sailing out of Seattle, R/T for Alsaka. Lots of folks have already talked about your taking in a longer cruisetour with a land portion and then a sea portion. You won't be doing this on the Golden because it sails exclusively R/T from the begining of its homeport in Seatlle until the Alaska cruise season ends and the Golden is repositioned to its typical Hawaii sailings from LA.

If you do wish to take in a cruise tour, then you'll have to find a different itiniary with Princess. Cruisetours either start with your sea leg in Vancouver, BC and end in Alaska, with the land tour, or start in Alaska with the land tour and then end in Vancouver at the end of your 7 day cruise.

Having sailed the Golden for Alaska last July I have some direct experience. The ship is beautiful and very well kept. It is 12 years old this year and you'd never know it from the condition of the public spaces. The Golden was in drydock sometime in 2009 so a good portion of the ship is basically brand new.

Our cruise director on the Golden was David Cole. He is highly regarded amongst Princess regulars and I couldn't agree more. He has a great personality and his staff provides a really positive experience on board. Activities are well planned and organized, but nobody is over the top and you aren't forced to endure a party atmosphere 24/7.

Entertainment on board was excellent. All of the production shows were well done and well worth taknig the time to go to, which includes showing up early to get seats. Side entertainment, like lounge acts and piano vocalists were also very skilled and enjoyable.

The food was stellar. I wish I could recall who the Execuitive Chef was.

My only comment on HAL is that they tend to have an older demographic as compared to Princess. This doesn't meant hat HAL isn't a line you shouldn't consider, in fact I would strongly consider a HAL Alaskan cruise myself in the future, especially doing R/T Seattle. I've been to Skagway, thanks to Princess and now I'd like to visit Sitka. The biggest reason that Princess doesn't visit Sitka is the size of their ships as compared to HAL. HALs ships are smaller than most of the industry players and as such they are able to get closer to the shallow harbor at Sitka. Even then you are still tendered into Sitka because it isn't deep enough for cruise ships.

If you book either line you'll notice this when you get to Pier 91 in Seattle. Both the Golden and the Westerdam are large ships, but Golden is taller by a number of decks and about a third longer than the Westerdam. The Golden never felt crowded on board, even though we were full and passenger capacity is aprox. 2600. So, don't let the size of a Princesss ship worry you. The Westerdam's passenger capacity is much less, somewhere in the high 1000s (1700-1800, I'm not exactly sure). I'd have to look it up, so don't mark my words.

If you want a more mid-sized ship experience then you'll want to go with HAL. If you really want to go to Sitka, then you have to go with HAL.

Pam makes great points and you're going to have a great time on either line.

If you are looknig at either the Golden or the Westerdam then you are sailing out of Seattle, R/T for Alsaka. Lots of folks have already talked about your taking in a longer cruisetour with a land portion and then a sea portion. You won't be doing this on the Golden because it sails exclusively R/T from the begining of its homeport in Seatlle until the Alaska cruise season ends and the Golden is repositioned to its typical Hawaii sailings from LA.

If you do wish to take in a cruise tour, then you'll have to find a different itiniary with Princess. Cruisetours either start with your sea leg in Vancouver, BC and end in Alaska, with the land tour, or start in Alaska with the land tour and then end in Vancouver at the end of your 7 day cruise.

Having sailed the Golden for Alaska last July I have some direct experience. The ship is beautiful and very well kept. It is 12 years old this year and you'd never know it from the condition of the public spaces. The Golden was in drydock sometime in 2009 so a good portion of the ship is basically brand new.

Our cruise director on the Golden was David Cole. He is highly regarded amongst Princess regulars and I couldn't agree more. He has a great personality and his staff provides a really positive experience on board. Activities are well planned and organized, but nobody is over the top and you aren't forced to endure a party atmosphere 24/7.

Entertainment on board was excellent. All of the production shows were well done and well worth taknig the time to go to, which includes showing up early to get seats. Side entertainment, like lounge acts and piano vocalists were also very skilled and enjoyable.

The food was stellar. I wish I could recall who the Execuitive Chef was.

My only comment on HAL is that they tend to have an older demographic as compared to Princess. This doesn't meant hat HAL isn't a line you shouldn't consider, in fact I would strongly consider a HAL Alaskan cruise myself in the future, especially doing R/T Seattle. I've been to Skagway, thanks to Princess and now I'd like to visit Sitka. The biggest reason that Princess doesn't visit Sitka is the size of their ships as compared to HAL. HALs ships are smaller than most of the industry players and as such they are able to get closer to the shallow harbor at Sitka. Even then you are still tendered into Sitka because it isn't deep enough for cruise ships.

If you book either line you'll notice this when you get to Pier 91 in Seattle. Both the Golden and the Westerdam are large ships, but Golden is taller by a number of decks and about a third longer than the Westerdam. The Golden never felt crowded on board, even though we were full and passenger capacity is aprox. 2600. So, don't let the size of a Princesss ship worry you. The Westerdam's passenger capacity is much less, somewhere in the high 1000s (1700-1800, I'm not exactly sure). I'd have to look it up, so don't mark my words.

If you want a more mid-sized ship experience then you'll want to go with HAL. If you really want to go to Sitka, then you have to go with HAL.

Pam makes great points and you're going to have a great time on either line.

FYI... the Westerdam is only 16 feet shorter than Golden Princess and holds 1,916 passengers, double occupancy... ;)

We took the Westerdam to Alaska last May and chose it for its itinerary. We wanted to see Hubbard Glacier and wanted to visit Sitka. We've been to Skagway on NCL and found it one of our least-liked stops. Perhaps because it was just too touristy but then again, most Alaska port towns tend to be that way.

We absolutely loved Sitka and felt quite sad leaving it. We felt there was just so much more to explore. Sitting for hours on a train (Skagway) is not how I want to spend a day in port. We tend to lean the more adventurous offerings.

In Sitka we boarded a small boat that took us on a nature tour where we saw a grizzly only 25 feet away on the shore, whales, and more sea otters than I have seen in a lifetime. And there were so many bald eagles and hubby saw a puffin.

HAL has a reputation of having older people but that really is only the case when it comes to the longer cruises. Who can take 30+ day cruises other than retired people? HAL is known for their very long cruises but they also have the usual week-long cruises that have people of all ages, including children.

We loved the Westerdam. Loved the Crowsnest! All that being said, this September we are cruising the Sea Princess out of San Francisco to Alaska! Ten days instead of just the 7. That will make three different cruising experiences to Alaska. Alaska should never be regarded as a once in a lifetime experience.

We took the Westerdam to Alaska last May and chose it for its itinerary. We wanted to see Hubbard Glacier and wanted to visit Sitka. We've been to Skagway on NCL and found it one of our least-liked stops. Perhaps because it was just too touristy but then again, most Alaska port towns tend to be that way.

We absolutely loved Sitka and felt quite sad leaving it. We felt there was just so much more to explore. Sitting for hours on a train (Skagway) is not how I want to spend a day in port. We tend to lean the more adventurous offerings.

In Sitka we boarded a small boat that took us on a nature tour where we saw a grizzly only 25 feet away on the shore, whales, and more sea otters than I have seen in a lifetime. And there were so many bald eagles and hubby saw a puffin.

HAL has a reputation of having older people but that really is only the case when it comes to the longer cruises. Who can take 30+ day cruises other than retired people? HAL is known for their very long cruises but they also have the usual week-long cruises that have people of all ages, including children.

We loved the Westerdam. Loved the Crowsnest! All that being said, this September we are cruising the Sea Princess out of San Francisco to Alaska! Ten days instead of just the 7. That will make three different cruising experiences to Alaska. Alaska should never be regarded as a once in a lifetime experience.

I think that you'll love sailing the Sea Princess... hopefully you'll be going to Haines.. that was our favorite stop on our first Alaska cruise... and, of course, Glacier Bay...

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjrBYofA

While i haven't sailed on the Westerdam, I did sail to Alaska on HAL's Zaandam in 2009. We enjoyed it very much and I am going to Alaska again in June on the Golden. I was 58 when we went in 2009 and I felt pretty young on that cruise. My travel companion was 75 and she fit right in. We thought Sitka was a lovely town. It was our favorite port. This time, on the Golden, we will stop in Skagway. I'm looking forward to that, too. We went to Glacier Bay on the HAL cruise and we will go to Glacier Bay on the Golden, as well. I think it is a must.

I have cruised on the Golden and enjoyed that ship a lot. Also cruised with HAL on the Oosterdam (sister-ship to the Westerdam)...that ship was very nice also...and smaller than the Golden,if that is what you like.

OV and Balcony cabins with PCL do not have a sofa in the cabin (mini-suites have a sofa/balcony)....whereas with HAL there is a small sofa in OV and Balcony cabins . A sofa in the cabin would be nice on an Alaskan cruise if the weather is too cold to go out on your balcony to watch the beautiful scenery or you can sit on your sofa and look out your OV window on cooler days. One more point about HAL...you can order dinner from the dining room menu to be delivered as room service in your cabin. PCL does not offer this, but have a couple of hot items that are heartier fare for dinner that they will deliver to your cabin. Also, HAL has a tub/shower combo with OV, Balcony cabins. PCL only has a shower with those type cabins. PCL has more of a 'night-life' and the lounges have music playing later at night. Some things to compare between both cruise lines.

Both cruise lines have great food and service IMHO. Below are photos on both below my signature.

I think no matter what ship you decide on....you will have a FABO cruise.:D

Archived