Reason for change of port - Ocho Rios to Mo Bay?

GloriaF

Hi All,

I have an October W Carib cruise on the Star planned, and the roll call has been discussing the change of Ocho Rios to Montego Bay. Does anyone know the reasoning behind this? I've noticed it's happening a lot with these cruises, and the answer to my question may be in the hundreds of posts a search for Jamaica or Ocho Rios turned up, but I just don't have the patience to read thru them all. Can anyone help? Thanks!

We were on the Feb Star and also had the port change - was not notified until on board - MoBay kind of ducks - noone knows why the change but it is probably all about $money$. We are going again on Oct 30.

Ron

Port congestion, maybe? Ocho Rios can't handle very many ships (looked like no more than two to me) and I don't think there is a decent anchorage for tendering due to reefs in the vicinity. I'd vote for a sea day rather than going to Montego Bay.

Port congestion, maybe? Ocho Rios can't handle very many ships (looked like no more than two to me) and I don't think there is a decent anchorage for tendering due to reefs in the vicinity.

I too have the feeling that "they" (whoever "they" is) don't want ships tendering at Ocho Rios but it can be done. On Coral's Christmas 2003 cruise, we tendered at Ocho Rios when our scheduled berth was occupied by a disabled cargo ship. But there were restrictions placed on us, one which was to be gone by sunset which cut short the by an hour or so the planned port call.

Yes, I feel the same way about Mo Bay. I haven't been in 20 years when we spent a couple of weeks in Negril, but doubt that it has improved much. The hagglers and drug pushers were everywhere. I figured I would vote to stay on the ship, but I'll be with my 25 yr old niece and it is her first cruise, so I know that isn't going to happen. We'll have to find a safe tour, we will not be wandering around alone.

I was surprised to read the majority of people on my 10/16 Star roll call booked the cruise because of Ocho Rios! I prefer to go to OR than Mo Bay, but hadn't thought either would be that great. We booked to go to Grand Cayman. To each his own....

I was hoping someone would know the reasoning. The smallness of the OR dock may well be it, Rob, thanks!

Any other voices of wisdom? ;)

It seems as tho this change (Ocho Rios to Montego Bay) is fairly common!

My sister is getting married is Sept, and the island she chose is Ocho Rios... I am wondering if she should consider a different island, in case there is a chance that this happens!!

Taking a cruise to a particular island to get married is pretty risky - maybe even more so in September. I remember a thread on the old boards where a group planned to have their wedding on St. Thomas, and the itinerary was changed to a western because of storms. You can imagine the disappointment.

On the other hand, the ceremony on board is very nice - and legal!

On the other hand, the ceremony on board is very nice - and legal!

She's not worried about the marriage not being legal... that isn't a problem at all.

Of course there is always a risk that the itinerary will be changed... but from some things I have been reading, it seems as tho the most common change is Ocho Rios...

Does anyone know if this actually DOES happen frequently?

Just curious, Dreamer - is her officiant going with them, or joining them in Jamaica? It sounds like a really neat plan, just subject to the risks of weather and itinerary changes. The bad part is, Princess usually doesn't notify passengers about itinerary changes until the last minute.

Just curious, Dreamer - is her officiant going with them, or joining them in Jamaica? It sounds like a really neat plan, just subject to the risks of weather and itinerary changes. The bad part is, Princess usually doesn't notify passengers about itinerary changes until the last minute.

That's exactly what I'm worried about...

My sister booked everything thru the Princess Wedding Coordinator... they arrange the "minister" and all of that (flowers, etc) on the island.

Of course they do warn her that there is a chance of having to switch ports or get married on the ship... and of course Sept can be an "iffy" time of year.

So that's why I was wondering if it is common for Ocho Rios to be cancelled, above the other islands?

Thanks, at least there's a backup plan. We witnessed a wedding on board and I was VERY impressed with how professional the Princess staff was and the ceremony itself. It was really very nice, nautically themed and quite poetic. Hopefully it all works out.

We heard somewhere that the captain decides whether Ocho Rios or Montego Bay but don't know what the decision is based on. If anybody goes to Mo Bay and doesn't know what to do, the Jungle River Tubing excursion through Princess is a lot of fun. No drug pushers, just fun.

Our tour guide that we had in Montego Bay (she was from Ochis Rio) said that some cruise lines ie Royal Carribean has first dibs on the dock in Ochis Rio. She said some cruiselines contribute more to the docks so they would have it first. Don't know if she knows what she is talking about but that is what she said.

When we were in Montego Bay last nov, a group of us took a cab to Doctors Cove Beach. It was a beautiful beack, very clean restrooms with changing facilities. I think it was $5.00 admission, but there was no hassle and it was very safe.

When we were done with the beach, we walked to Margaritaville and had lunch.

Leaving the pier we got a "safe" taxi and when we left Margaritaville to head back to the ship, they got us another "safe" taxi.

We did some shopping at the pier, some nice things, some garbage just like anywhere else.

A nother group of people went to Sunset Beach Resort. It cost them $20 each and that included admission, food and beverage and the use of 3 swimming pools and a hot tub.

http://www.margaritavillecaribbean.com/locations_montegobay.php

http://www.cruisemontegobay.com/

This is just part of what there is to do when you dock in Montego Bay. I hope we get a chance to go back in the near future.

sue

Archived